Have you ever regret a character/profession so much?

Thief - I grinded every crafting discipline to 500.

I don't play it anymore, because I don't like the niche ANet pushes this class into (hit, run and hide).

If once ever crafting becomes accountwide (personally I doubt it since you can level up characters with it) this will be the day I finally delete my thief.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@KrHome.1920 said:Thief - I grinded every crafting discipline to 500.

I don't play it anymore, because I don't like the niche ANet pushes this class into (hit, run and hide).

If once ever crafting becomes accountwide (personally I doubt it since you can level up characters with it) this will be the day I finally delete my thief.

Yeah I kinda hate that crafting is not account bound.

No, I didn't had that. Two things prevented that case for me:

• In PvE explorable, no need for meta builds and high level equipment. It's nice to have, but it works very well without too. So I never bothered investing for any of my PvE explorable toons. From there, if I wasn't happy with a toon, there was no big harm to change/delete (what I do regularly).
  • For end game activities like raid and wvw, before to select a class and put a lot of efforts, mats and gold into equipping, I took the time to test all classes and waited until I'm sure about what classes suit me. First once I was sure, I did equip. Counterpart (there is one): I have needed some time until I had equipped end game toons.

All in all, with that way to go, I was lucky enough to never have to delete a toon on which I had invested a lot. There is one case that can be avoided though: When after a balance path, one class becomes obsolete and can't be used anymore for the intended activity. But then, since ascended equipment is account bound, I just transfer to another one. There is no real loss.

Yeah, I’ve regretted every character apart from my Guardian. I spent a lot of time (almost two years) playing a Warrior, an Elementalist and a Ranger and didn’t gel with any of them.

This happened all because I wanted to play something that wasn’t a Paladin. I played Paladin in WoW for years and had it in my head that I should change it up.

Turns out I love Paladins.

For the past two years I have now exclusively played as a Guardian and the other characters are Alt Parked for daily rewards, never to be played properly again.

At least I know for sure that I am happy with my choice now. I might have had regrets if I didn’t try the others. Now I know for sure.

I've made and deleted so many alts and so many race/class combinations that I have a few personally annoying checkpoints to get through before I know whether they can hang long-term.

1. How much does LWS2 annoy me with the class? Is it too clumsy? Is it a relative breeze?
  2. How annoying is the voice acting right before visiting the frogs at the beginning of Heart of Thorns?
  3. How bitter is the VA when the character hits PoF?

I've lost umpteen classes, core and elite, to checkpoint 1. I lost a 6 year old character to 2. I lost what I thought was my new main to 3.It's all good, though. All roads led to female asura reaper, the perfect answer to all problems. Except clipping.

Nope, I enjoy all of them! But that's because I'm a darn casual who mains PvE. I love how you can do practically everything with most base classes and how the playstyle is different and fun. But I'm a weirdo who likes stuff like that! For most people their mileage will vary until they find the class they really like. Sometimes I have to take breaks from classes, but I always come back to them in the end.

I also haven't really committed stuff without realizing dislike first.

as for CHARACTERS, vs profession, I've had to delete and remake characters, I've come back to them. Sometimes a makeover kit and reinvention will fix it (I've never used those for it). For me, sometimes i just leave characters and come back to them when I'm in the mood again to enjoy them--- At some point for like, half a year I couldn't really enjoy asura culture for personal reasons, and when my life circumstances changed, I really could enjoy them again. Since preferences or health or life circumstances determining the class that one can play change over time, I don't really delete or destroy my long runners, but I do sometimes leave some for a long time to play on other characters, and go back to them when things change again. Sometimes I take like 6 month long breaks from a class or character in particular, but I'm really happy to come back to them after that period of time has passed. I would have really regretted deleting them if I did. The only time I've really deleted non temporary characters for keyfarm were to remake the same character properly.

There's apparently a 7 year skin or something... so yeah.

Couldn't you revitalize it with a tanky daredevil no-stealth duelist like style? Most of the builds if you're talking just regular old open world can be pretty flexible. You could avoid stealth whatsoever. There's generally a way to play every class a particular style if you're into that the most (heck, you could play a mesmer like a ranger if you really wanted).

@"GWMO.4785" said:Seems like overall mesmer takes the crown here. I too am no exception. I enjoyed the class at core, even tho it wasnt my main back then. Chronomancer really stood out for me from the very beginning, to a point where i was playing it exclusively. Till mid last year where Anet started nerfing it. The SoI going from boonshare to extending made the drop for me. Since then i was playing Mirage. Which was nice but it wasnt on the level of chrono, not to mention this spec is mostly niche. So it didnt take long before i went to a different class/spec entirely. And with the latest balance patch, mirage has only one dodge in pvp/wvw (which may occur in pve in future as well). i dont even want to look back.

Best part: during my "spree" in chrono/mirage. I went for full legendary equipment's. Duo to how versatile mesmer is/was. So now it just sits there collecting dust since i have no real use for it anymore. Not to mention build templates added another step on top of that.

aka tldr: rip ~6k hours and a kitten of investment i have put into mesmer.

I was really salty too about mesmer (my boonsmer was killed due to signet of inspiration being destroyed and I'm still kind of upset about that) and mirage dodge (altho I'm less hardcore) as well as repeated, repeated mirage nerfs so thiefsmer could no longer be a thing (due to people whining when outplayed). But after taking an absolute break from doing any activities in PvP and calming down a bit, I came back to it. The mirage dodge is no stunbreak, but there are some interesting new traits like the boonstrip damage and the boonstrip that do make it worth coming back to imo. (Altho mostly in PvE regular old open world content, which makes it much more enjoyable psychologically than like the other content that the changes affected). When I started the game, ftp base mesmer was absolutely useless, so I could see how it would be upsetting if one was there and the other way around.

• 10 months later...

@tinyasian.8941 said:I have a soulbeast which I spent tons of gold on and now I'm just regretting it.

Have you ever had any characters like that?

I don't think I've ever regretted a character, necessarily. But I've regretted the races I've chosen. I love my elementalist ... she's my OG, from the beta week. I honestly have so much fun with her ... but I wish I made her a sylvari instead of a human, especially since I have a human ranger. So NOW I'm trying to level up a sylvari elementalist because I tried mesmer and ... it's really fun ... but not the same for me ... but I miss my OG elementalist because she's my very first character I created here. I'm ODDLY sentimental lol!

im also gonna say ranger, lol.i picked it initially because pet can revive you, but it feels super boring now ... and im not sure how any new elite specs would make it more fun.druid isnt meta in fractals anymore. merging with pet in soulbeast somehow feels like it does less damage..

Warrior for me.The fun builds like S/S and HF wombo GS all suck.

Also my ele, which I'm mostly using to collect anniversary gifts because it turns out I get bored as hell playing rotation-based anything.

Even as a longtime main I can't help but feel this a lot, and it's why I switched to Reaper. Something that can focus on offense and not need turtle strats.

@Makuragee.3058 said:Engineer, this is my experience. I love my build, how its play. Balance patch (mainly a nerf engineer as always just nerf) ok now my build doenot work because they remove chane xyz. Find a new build I enjoy, blance patch, samething they remove/change something. Its the same over and over and over. Im sick of it dont want to try anymore... I dont even use meta build, I make them myself... Engineer is only a succession of disapointment...

My chrono offers your engi a shoulder to cry on. I know this change after change experience. In addition, taking skills from mesmers (portals, for e.g.) and adding them to other professions.

Kind of the opposite for me- I regret NOT getting my DPS Warrior into a Berserker spec sooner, and he's been around since launch.I pretty much see the new Elite specs as they enter the game and somehow just feel uninterested or say to myself "not my style". Did that since HoT without even bothering to try them out. Of my 4 toons, only 1 took an Elite spec as soon as it was available (Scourge, because my Necro was meant to be a tanky support anyway).But when I recently realized I needed to up my Warrior's DPS, I finally got around to checking out Berserker in detail- and what a difference in DPS it made.

I've never regretted anything, it's always nice to have another char to gather resources on - and knowing how they play is also good.

That said, i am sad about mesmer. I really liked it it was my main and only i had planned to play, but it's gotten dealth a real bad hand and just butchered in the fun department, and now made such annoying indirect and relying on annoying chrono mechanics, 1 dodge mirage in pvp LOL, and mobs to not die, illusions to not die or not move to deal damage and all it's strengths nerfed down down down in the ground, then after doing that they felt it was still not enough and did another approach gutted them from that angle but didn't correct the other nerfs. Now butchered. Gotta work your ass off and still other classes with close their eyes and outperform it with a random spam unless you can stand still and do a perfect rotation. I Loathe chronoplasma, it so clunky it's unbelivably bad, there are just so many ways it can fail out of your control and it turns power into damage over time too.

Anyway it took me a year to recover from mesmer butchery while i was searching for a new home, tried some things, quit again, didn't have interest in playing them as main but now finally i think i've found a new home. Mesmer byebye, no more heartache from you. Just play her every now and then for doing stuff as it's still my most practiced class by far. But never ever for anything that requires performance, it's just so annoying and ungrateful for that. So when it's not a main you are disappointed in - can still enjoy it for a random lulz at whateverz.

Always necro. I had 3 necros and I still don't like it. I regret wasting my time on this profession, trying to create a perfect build. Core necro doesn't make any sense in PvE. Reaper is "Spin to Win". Every condi based necro takes literally hours to reach numbers. I never enjoyed necro.

Second is mesmer. Main problem with mesmer, especialy MIRAGE — it's bugged. Yeah, it's completly screwed up. Ambush Attack (axe) sometimes doesn't work.