Why does Renewing Wave take energy before the cast completes?

mrauls.6519

OMG while we are on the topic, I absolutely abhor the change they made to staff 5's energy consumption time. It will do an energy check before you use the skill, but won't actually consume the energy until around when you start to surge. It is horrible. So many times I have screwed myself over because I'll toggle an upkeep after pressing staff 5 in order to proc Charged Mists, and if it goes under the energy requirement it will cancel the skill. This never happened before the skill got hard-cucked.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

@Yasai.3549 said:Plus it's interruptable.

On other hand full glad that stuff like Jade Winds or RotgD doesn't consume Energy until the skill goes off.

Other skill similar to this is Mace 3 and its legendary cast animation.

But RotGD does consume energy as soon as you press it. It's a stunbreak, it has to.

If Jade Wind did on press, it would be very underpowered on Shiro, part of what makes it so strong is the ability to bait dodges.

The inconsistencies were probably not inconsistencies and rather they've just went with what seemed best for each individual skill. It's not like there's many.

@Shao.7236 said:

But RotGD does consume energy as soon as you press it. It's a stunbreak, it has to.

If Jade Wind did on press, it would be very underpowered on Shiro, part of what makes it so strong is the ability to bait dodges.

The inconsistencies were probably not inconsistencies and rather they've just went with what seemed best for each individual skill. It's not like there's many.

Makes no sense for RotG to need a cast time while giving no chain CC protection during its activation then :/

@Yasai.3549 said:

Makes no sense for RotG to need a cast time while giving no chain CC protection during its activation then :/

Revenant needs less weaknesses, not bloated enough as is.

@Yasai.3549 said:

How does it make no sense?

• Confused 1

@"Sobx.1758" said:

But rotg stunbreak works at the press of the button, the cast time is for another skill effect, so how is this a "cast time on stunbreak"?So it's RotG's problem then.I don't see why it shouldn't have CC protection for the length of the cast.

It's like getting stunbreak > going into animation cast (which is kind of like another stun) > can be stunned again and cancels the cast, eats energy anywayRather it just take Energy immediately, and casts instantly/has CC protection for the cast.

@Yasai.3549 said:

@"Sobx.1758" said:

But rotg stunbreak works at the press of the button, the cast time is for another skill effect, so how is this a "cast time on stunbreak"?So it's RotG's problem then.I don't see why it shouldn't have CC protection for the length of the cast.

It's like getting stunbreak > going into animation cast (which is kind of like another stun) > can be stunned again and cancels the cast, eats energy anywayRather it just take Energy immediately, and casts instantly/has CC protection for the cast.

Glaring Resolve exists to help remedy this. RotG is fine as is and you have enough stab from roads/Spirit Boon/True Nature (if running Herald) to help cover the cast time.

@Za Shaloc.3908 said:

Glaring Resolve exists to help remedy this. RotG is fine as is and you have enough stab from roads/Spirit Boon/True Nature (if running Herald) to help cover the cast time.

Then that's just using a Trait to bandaid a problem isn't it?That feels icky.

RotG exists as a Stunbreak, I feel like it should be consistent as a Stunbreak: to just break stuns without additional conditions.

Would be nice if they redesigned it or something because I am one who would like to have a consistent Stunbreak skill across Legends.

@Yasai.3549 said:

@"Sobx.1758" said:

But rotg stunbreak works at the press of the button, the cast time is for another skill effect, so how is this a "cast time on stunbreak"?So it's RotG's problem then.

Except skill having a cast time isn't automatically a problem ;p

I don't see why it shouldn't have CC protection for the length of the cast.

...and I don't see why it should -other then you just wanting it randomly buffed?

So any stunbreak is pointless because it doesn't have cc protection, so you can get cced again no matter what you want to do so what's the point, eh?

• Confused 1

@Yasai.3549 said:

@"Za Shaloc.3908" said:

Then that's just using a Trait to bandaid a problem isn't it?That feels icky.

No, it's not "a trait to bandaid a problem", because it's not inherently "a problem" just because for some reason you think breaking cc (or having a cast time on a skill) is pointless if it doesn't automatically grant stability. What you claim to be the norm isn't the norm and imo there's not much reason for it to be.

That's a trait, so you can weight its usefulness and then make a choice if you want to use it. Like, you know, every trait is/should be. Nothing about it "feels icky", this is what traits do.

RotG exists as a Stunbreak, I feel like it should be consistent as a Stunbreak: to just break stuns without additional conditions.

But it is "consistent as a stunbreak" and it does break stun without additional conditions. You can't really just randomly claim repeat "inconsistency" and count that people will just eat it up. It's not "inconsistent".

• Confused 1

@Yasai.3549 said:

RotGD is extremely powerful (Always was.) and along with everything Revenant has under it's belt to improve on it, it's no big deal.

Considering Revenant can stunbreak as much as it wants for as long as there is energy, having cast time for skills that follows it adds to the usefulness of said skill so that it's not just for Stunbreaking, nothing forces the user to commit the skill entirely either, it can be stowed (if you'd ever want that) or dodge interrupted.

If you need tips on how to use it properly, you can take a look on the Core Power build that is on Metabattle testing section so I don't have to explain it again, it's not popular but it's definitely not to be underestimated either.

@Shao.7236 said:

Considering Revenant can stunbreak as much as it wants for as long as there is energy, having cast time for skills that follows it adds to the usefulness of said skill so that it's not just for Stunbreaking, nothing forces the user to commit the skill entirely either, it can be stowed (if you'd ever want that) or dodge interrupted.

Does stowing give the energy back?Cos I just spent 40 for like, probably 1/4th the skill's worth.

@Yasai.3549 said:

Does stowing give the energy back?Cos I just spent 40 for like, probably 1/4th the skill's worth.

No it doesn't that's why I pointed out if you'd ever want that in parantheses.

Stunbreak should just be seen as what it is, the follow up is if you need it.

It's just to tell you one possible scenario here with the build I'm talking about, if you get stunned in Shiro and don't have the energy, you can go Jalis next to the target, gain stability and barrier while applying weakness with the cherry on top being RotGD damage reduction. This is pretty much the most powerful combo in the game for tanking any form of damage, actual tanking without the healing part.

Well, I guess at the very least "we" stopped pretending that rotgd stunbreak somehow isn't instant, eh @"Yasai.3549"? :DWhat about the traits? Is every trait "a bandaid" and "icky" or we're dropping that weird claim as well?

Please don't dodge, thanks.

• Confused 1

@"Sobx.1758" said:Well, I guess at the very least "we" stopped pretending that rotgd stunbreak somehow isn't instant, eh @"Yasai.3549"? :DWhat about the traits? Is every trait "a bandaid" and "icky" or we're dropping that weird claim as well?

I hope whatever class yu play gets a Stunbreak skill next expansion which takes half their resource to activate, and can be stun cancelled.

@Yasai.3549 said:

@"Sobx.1758" said:Well, I guess at the very least "we" stopped pretending that rotgd stunbreak somehow isn't instant, eh @Yasai.3549? :DWhat about the traits? Is every trait "a bandaid" and "icky" or we're dropping that weird claim as well?

I hope whatever class yu play gets a Stunbreak skill next expansion which takes half their resource to activate, and can be stun cancelled.

I play rev too, I'm perfectly fine, thanks.

But I guess you really did drop those false claims then, cool. :)(just one more thing: instant stun break can't really be "stun cancelled", you're paying energy cost for the skill effect and you got a free stunbreak on top of it so you can try to prevent some of the dmg after you got cced)

• Confused 1

@Sobx.1758 said:

How does it make no sense?Cast times on Stunbreaks are not a consistency.Not only on Rev, but across all Professions.

But rotg stunbreak works at the press of the button, the cast time is for another skill effect, so how is this a "cast time on stunbreak"?

I think what they mean is: usually, if a stunbreak skill has a cast time, then Anet adds a short duration stability to it to cover this cast time up from follow up CC.

Examples of this:

• blinding powder
  • rumble
  • well of power
  • stomp

If a stunbreak doesn't have stability, then it tends to have another mechanic that prevents follow up CC, like evades or blocks.But rite of the great dwarf is different, it is a stunbreak that does have a cast time, but no stability nor other mechanics built in to prevent interruption of it's cast.