Disable tool tips during combat

nopoet.2960

It doesn't really matter whether people like to play by clicking or like to play by key presses or which one is more efficient for whom, yadda yadda: as long as the option to play by clicking exists (and it needs to exist, for accommodation), then those who have to use it for whatever reason should not be further handicapped by having skill descriptions pop up over the field of play.

A toggle would be great. So would putting a delay on it. So would making it not happen while in combat. Whatever works best for your spaghetti code.

I am in support of this!!! For the longest time I was so annoyed by there being no option to make smaller/turn off damage numbers. Can barely see the combat if you do a ton of attacks and condis. I used ARCdps and they have an option to turn off the numbers! Changed my feelings for this game for the better! I wonder if a third party will just have to modify this again for our QOL request?-RAYMERA

• 8 months later...

@ChefBoyardee.7285 said:I just messaged the tech support and mentioned that the removal of the skill description would be a great option and there are lots of people who would like to see this feature in game. I am also one of those people . Please create a option to hide the grey skill description boxes , thank you

or you could start pressing keys on keyboard instead of click them with mouse mate.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...

@Linken.6345 said:

@"ChefBoyardee.7285" said:I just messaged the tech support and mentioned that the removal of the skill description would be a great option and there are lots of people who would like to see this feature in game. I am also one of those people . Please create a option to hide the grey skill description boxes , thank you

or you could start pressing keys on keyboard instead of click them with mouse mate.

Did you ever stop to think why some people what an option to click?I have early arthritis that is only going to get worse. Being able to click is alot easer and less painful to do than "pressing keys on keyboard".

Think of others before you act all high and mighty! That goes for Anet as well, not everyone that plays might be able to use keyboard propley due to medical conditions.

Edit : oh, and before you going about typing this out on a keyboard, big diffrence with 15mins slow typing here vs 1h+ in game.

• Confused 1

@Eziair.2509 said:timages

@"ChefBoyardee.7285" said:I just messaged the tech support and mentioned that the removal of the skill description would be a great option and there are lots of people who would like to see this feature in game. I am also one of those people . Please create a option to hide the grey skill description boxes , thank you

Did you ever stop to think why some people what an option to click?I have early arthritis that is only going to get worse. Being able to click is alot easer and less painful to do than "pressing keys on keyboard".

Think of others before you act all high and mighty! That goes for Anet as well, not everyone that plays might be able to use keyboard propley due to medical conditions.

Edit : oh, and before you going about typing this out on a keyboard, big diffrence with 15mins slow typing here vs 1h+ in game.

Have you tried a for example Razer Tartarus V2 gaming-keypad or Razer Naga

@Linken.6345 said:

A mouse with lots of buttons on the side can be painful to use with arthritis, and we may be less able to switch between the buttons.

• Confused 1

@Hesione.9412 said:

A mouse with lots of buttons on the side can be painful to use with arthritis, and we may be less able to switch between the buttons.

So would it not hurt to move the mouse around alot as well then? instead of having a hand resting on the keys on the keyboard?

@Linken.6345 said:

So would it not hurt to move the mouse around alot as well then? instead of having a hand resting on the keys on the keyboard?

Nope, at least for me it's the clicking with my thumb.

• Confused 1

I'm ambidextrous and press the key or click the skill depending on which hand is free (left or right).

There's many reasons players click skills including:

• Bad keyboard without good key feedback
  • Compact keyboard, especially laptop keyboards without even F# keys
  • Having small hands, or too large a keyboard
  • Being faster with their mouse hand
  • Generic mouse with only a few buttons
  • Struggling to press other keys than WASD while moving around
  • Various issues with arthritis or RSI, including limited movement from joints

Please stop harassing players for how they play. If they didn't tell you about it, you probably wouldn't even notice, because even those who play exclusively using the keyboard and mousebinds make mistakes.

I recommend learning what ableism is and why its so harmful. "You can do it because I can" isn't how life works.

@Linken.6345 said:

A hand on a mouse is rather still, only use two fingers to click. Mouse is not "moved aroud alot" as it's set to high sensitivity. Other hand never really moves from WASD. Also why should I get a new key-pad or mouse to play a game?In this age of accounting for all disabilities Anet has left out a big one. By the end of this year or the start of 2022 I won't be able to play this game but I can still play WoW and LOTRO because those games do have a 'Tool Tip' timer delay or you turn it off altogether.Hell even GW1 had it !

• 2 weeks later...

Wow people are still commenting on this post! My guess is that this quality of life change is more difficult than it appears as it wouldn't hurt anyone who didn't want to use the option. To Anet, if this is a difficult problem to solve just know it would be worth the effort for a number of your fans. My offer to buy a few gems if you can make the pop up text go away in combat stands! :)

@nopoet.2960 said:Wow people are still commenting on this post! My guess is that this quality of life change is more difficult than it appears as it wouldn't hurt anyone who didn't want to use the option. To Anet, if this is a difficult problem to solve just know it would be worth the effort for a number of your fans. My offer to buy a few gems if you can make the pop up text go away in combat stands! :)

It should not be a difficult thing to add at all otherwise any other changes would be hopeless in comparison.

The priority is probably just too low.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Mouse (I use a trackball because it's faster) is used for movement (not the WSAD keys, they are slow) and targeting.  All the spell/skills should be mapped to the numpad (like data entry, you don't need to move your hand). That is the best setup to play with.  You can play anyway you want (not telling people how to play) you will just be slow and fail more...

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, milton h bandler.3509 said:

It's so dumb that this basic UI option wasn't available from the start.  It is so far out of accessibility standards that it's discriminatory.   By leaving it as it is, it excludes disadvantaged people from playing as well as the self-satisfied keybind folks JUST because there is no profit in it for anet. 

I agree. They should disable the ability to click skills all together so that people learn to play correctly. 

Edited by Einsof.1457
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, MrFUBR.8309 said:

Mouse (I use a trackball because it's faster) is used for movement (not the WSAD keys, they are slow) and targeting.  All the spell/skills should be mapped to the numpad (like data entry, you don't need to move your hand). That is the best setup to play with.

Ok, is this a meme response or is this for real? I seriously can't even tell anymore.

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

Ok, is this a meme response or is this for real? I seriously can't even tell anymore.

It's a quarter of a century of experience and physics. We figured this out in 1995-6  with DOOM /Quake Deathmatchs long before Everquest ever came out and that game and all since have proved it correct.  You can learn from us that know or you can be slow  it's up to you. I don't care, just letting people know how this works so those that want to be better have the knowledge.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, MrFUBR.8309 said:

It's a quarter of a century of experience and physics. We figured this out in 1995-6  with DOOM /Quake Deathmatchs long before Everquest ever came out and that game and all since have proved it correct.  You can learn from us that know or you can be slow  it's up to you. I don't care, just letting people know how this works so those that want to be better have the knowledge.

Got any proof to back up all this talk?

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Got any proof to back up all this talk?

Got any proof that says I don't? I can only tell what I know.  As they say... You can drag the dead horse to water and beat it all you want, but you can't make it drink... Stupid is as stupid does...

As said. I got the proper and correct info out, what other players do with it is up to them. They can be the fastest they can be or be or just be normal. I don't care. I just want people to get best info there is.

Edited by MrFUBR.8309
  • Like 1
  • Confused 6