Please save progress inside story instances in case of lost connection!

BraKet.3570

To the people having repeated disconnections in story instances: Are you in the UK and using Virgin Media?

If so, this is an ongoing problem. It might be down to the security settings in the VM Hub (the router/modem device). You don't get any disconnects generally but in GW2 you get disconnects but only in story instances.

You might get some success logging into the VM Hub (via the local IP 192.168.0.1), going to the security settings and disabling "IP Flood Detection". This deals with DDoS style attacks and for most virtually all users is a non-issue, and can be re-enabled at any time if needed.

• 2 weeks later...

@Emily.3148 said:New to the forums here, hello... Old thread but wanted to join in adding my own.

Currently doing Path of Fire and have just defeated the Facet Guardian as a solo fight - it took me two hours (!) but thankfully I was not disconnected -because I want to train up my Necromancer's elite skills (Reaper) by getting hero challenges done around the area.

However, before carrying on with this I went back to complete Victor or Death (personal story, level 80) as the last time I got killed trying to defeatthe Mouth of Zhaitan and had to give up (life and gaming are often in disagreement over personal priorities at any given time): this time I thoughtthat, having a few more skills, I may fare better in surviving this encounter.

Thus, armed with patience, I did the entire instance from the beginning - defeating the many undead and small bosses, collecting the power cores,surviving the three giants' attacks on the airship - and managed to bring down the three Orrian towers plus the various enemies around the plateau. . .then, suddenly, I was disconnected from the server.

Yes, time wasted and a sense of annoyance...

The fun gets taken out as I like to solo stories, instances, adventures, etc. mainly due to the unpredictability of when I play the game: I just do nothave a way of being online at the same time as other people, by agreement... and trying to quickly join a party of players as a spare-of-the-momentaction is often unreliable, i.e. you have to be in the right place at the right time, with a busy session with people you can approach and also therehave to be people who understand your language (not everyone has English as a workable language to communicate with) when you say 'hello'.

The fact that you solo is a big no-no for repeating long fights after being randomly disconnected and kicked back to the very beginning of a chapter/instance: as I said, even with dodging, using the facets of darkness, and employing my ranged weapon, and constantly going at the Facet Guardian,the non-playing characters (Lady Kasmeer, Canach, and Rytlock) do not do much damage at all and only really help with reviving you or killing thesmaller Facets (which saves time for getting the little spheres for the special skills). This means that even being a 'keyboard dancing' master betweensynchronising positioning, dodging, collecting special skills (the light/darkness spheres) and targeting your spells on the monster at the appropriatetime, it can still take a long time to do a fight like this solo. I had read up on the fight and decided on minions to help with killing facets quicker andalso trying to keep them away from me, so that was how I planned. I am proud to have done it solo but now, of course, I know how hard the nextfew fights are likely to be, though mechanics and damage may differ from one major enemy to the next.

All I would say is that disconnecting is not for people who game as parents and who work for a living and have limited time... I enjoy the map explorationside of the game more than the endless fighting, it has to be said... It seems that the big fights are not time-efficient when done as a solo character(especially not if you are relatively fresh from achieving Level 80 - though I am now +8 (i.e. eight levels up within Level 80): it really screams for groupingas the only way to avoid the tediousness of long fights that you may possibly be in danger of repeating, should you be disconnected.

I wonder if ArenaNet will change this in the future... and as other users suggested here, add more checkpoints so that you did not have to bust your brainsover the same fights each time.

Cheersx

Happy ending...

Managed. to do the final chapter of the. personal story today as I had time..Ninety minutes of action with no interruptions/disconnections... I also managed to make a lot of progress in Path of Fire, including all the underground stuff leading to the. encounter with Balthazar and my subsequent death and return to the living. The domain of the lost souls was beautifully designed... eery and unsettling...

Also managed to get up the treacherous Branded pyramid to fetch the hero point up there, which only leaves my Necromancer with one more. hero point to complete her Reaper training.

And...managed to buy some pretty amazing clothing (armour) upgrades with all the Karma I had stashed away, and with all the secret/surprise items from my. Personal Story reward...

My Reaper is now truly a remarkable, unstoppable sylvari... I can get on with the business of travelling around places without fear of dying...The Reaper Shroud is one incredible resource...it has saved me many times from bad situations!

xx

Ah, I spoke too soon... I was doing oh so well... Got as far as fighting the Forged while the WarBeast arrived, then in going through the Bazaar and destroying two of the power towers on the left side I hopped on my bunny and up the walls at the back of the arena... I was hopping happily to the other side when mid-jump my bunny disappeared and I was taken all the way out and back to the start of the army scene with Lady Kasmeer etc. Ugh According to the little map my bunny and I were still in the instance... Maybe as well as a floor boundary there must be a sky boundary that we are not told about because otherwise it makes no sense. The only other way to get through to the other side was to walk across the floor but it looked pretty busy with Forged nasties...Meh.I need some pillow time xAu revoir Arena Snore :anguished:

@Mortifera.6138 Yes.... Today I tried the whole Warbeast episode from the start... defeated the army. went chasing that brute with my raptor dodging lightning andfalling down, finally getting through and being faced with countless nasties and energy pillars to beat... Just as I was near the point of getting to face the big baddieI was pushed down some stairs while fighting some big hairy forged scorpion and...

... kicked out of the instance... back to meeting the team-mates before the big battle...

:astonished:

Takes deep breaths

This has been a problem since launch. I think it’s safe to say the devs can’t do anything about it.DRMs had this very same problem and Arenanet allegedly fixed it.

If they can fix it for DRMs, they ought to be able to fix it for regular story instances.Yet they simply don't do it.

@Fueki.4753 said:

This has been a problem since launch. I think it’s safe to say the devs can’t do anything about it.DRMs had this very same problem and Arenanet allegedly fixed it.

If they can fix it for DRMs, they ought to be able to fix it for regular story instances.Yet they simply don't do it.

Not according to the Dev posts on the issue.

There's a big difference between moving outside the boundaries/re-joining a group and being disconnected in Story instances.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Not according to the Dev posts on the issue.

There's a big difference between moving outside the boundaries/re-joining a group and being disconnected in Story instances.

I thought you were referring to players getting pushed out of story instances when touching the boundaries, as the poster before and after you was writing about that issue.

There will be a technical reason why when we die we can come back at a checkpointbut when we get kicked out for straying into the 'red zone' there is no checkpoint to come back to -and why this also happens if the server disconnects you.

Otherwise the many threads on this problem would have probably had the developers make changesbut the fact they have not done so tells a story.

Another thing about the two scenarios: if you get killed and return from a checkpoint, the enemies youcleared are no longer there, as you would expect... but if you are kicked out or disconnected from an instanceyou have to fight them all over again. It would be fine to travel a whole section of the map again, but havingto repeat all the boring fights is just like eating the same breakfast every day for a year.

Even as a group this works badly as ot everyone in the group would always be available at the same time to meet online together.

But that is the difference between a game like this, MMORPG style, and something out of a box that starts and endsand does not continue indefinitely: the second type is more stable and the developers do not have to test infinitecombinations of possibilities... I admire what they have achieved but of course they will try to improve things as andwhen they can.

It is a weird moment because my beautiful Necro is now completely Reaper-trained and does not have much more toachieve... Finished the personal story at Level 80, nearly finished the Path of Fire... but then what? I think the mechanics ofthe game at this point feel like they cannot add much more to the experience of the character... No extra spells/skills asa Reaper, no added buttons so you could have, say, fifteen spells/skills instead of the standard ten, etc. That is it. You lookat your character and go... I will dye your clothes different, maybe try different Sigils, etc. but essentially it feels like there isno extra reward. I am getting more pleasure out of reading the Shannara trilogy at the moment, than playing Guild Wars lol

Maybe time to pause and leave this game. I was studying for an exam before the end of 2020 and started looking for somethingto daydream away, so a few searches later I saw this game and from November I got this Sylvari necromancer from level 1 all the wayto Level 80 (I think I am at level 23 over 80 now). But the joy of growing the character seems lost now, and the constant fighting justmakes it too slow to solo. I would rather play in a group but from what I have seen it is a hit-and-miss arrangement (you cannot alwaysget a group going when you need one and committing to being there at the same time every day just is notsomething I can commit to for a game)!

It has been fun learning this side of gaming, but as the gambling ads say "STOP when the fun stops!" ... When it feels like an addictionrather than fun, then it is time to go!

E x

^You can certainly leave if you so desire, but having leveled your Necromancer to L80, and finished one Elite Specialization is not all there is to the game. There's another Elite Specialization to complete, all the stories from the various Living World Seasons and expansions, and Mastery Levels up to something like 350, or so, nowadays.
Plus, 8 other Professions with 2 Elite Specializations each.

Much luck on whatever path you follow.

Thanks @Inculpatus cedo.9234 I played a wizard in Perfect World(that was the last time I played a game, a few years ago) so I wasnever interested in other classes/professions. Repeating content withother characters may be novel in some way but maybe not what I lookfor in an adventure.

I think there is far too. much emphasis on fighting /grinding andmage-type players struggle to find much diversity after youplay the game for a while. I love the vista/viewing orthe heart challenges... But the constant fighting as a wizard-typecan be soulless and really tedious. Maybe some day I will finda game where it is mostly puzzles and exploration and not muchkilling... The Domain of the Lost Souls in PoF was beautiful,so beautiful, and it was almost the exception. But that is so personalto us, what makes us go 'oooooh', it is not a bad game, just a bittoo fight-obsessed.Well, it does have WARS in the title LOL

One character I would like to see is the Istari type (the Gandalfs andRadagasts of LOTR) who use magic as a weapon only in extreme situations,to defend themselves, but mostly wander the lands to gather information, tocounsel and talk, to discover what dangers lie ahead...

There does not seem a lot of MMO gaming out there that does not usegrinding/fighting as its backbone... It is a business thing: make exploration-onlygames and people will possibly run out of content quickly; keep them in one spotlonger by throwing enemies at them and it will take more time for them to run outof content (so you can make enough content and be one step ahead of the playersuncovering it all).

Also, levels are the carrot that keeps players coming back: if you get rid of them, somesay, then what will people do to compare achievements?

It is all too much. I think I got all I wanted out of the game but after the first couple of monthsit quickly became like the other MMO I played a few years ago: just grinding on and on withmore faceless minions to wipe out, hour after hour, with a bit of exploration in between.

Each to their own :)

E xx

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@medivh.4725 said:The story can be very frustrating as always. Sometimes auto walk can walk you out of the whole quest!

Quite :)

Hi all, not been in since my last post, and I stopped playing altogether: why? Because life is more exciting thanspending time in front of a computer pressing buttons :) Lockdown means spending a lot more time in front ofa computer anyway, so variety is my thing and I needed to find other ways to find fun in life, not more screen time x

One thing is unrealistic about this game's fight mechanics: there is no end to the enemies' attacks, even when they areabout to die... be they animals or humans or hairy monsters, they all rage and fight until the very end... It would be niceif, randomly, some enemies scattered in an effort to save their lives at the point where their health got pretty low, say,25% or less... Because in armies and in combat, not all fighters engage TO THE DEATH... and there are things like retreatingarmies or combatants agreeing to halt fighting when a winner is declared (think of jousting or boxing). I would like to knowthat regularly I could hope for an enemy, human or otherwise, to get frightened away when significantly injured, so that notall fighting had to be done to the very last ounce of health by both parties.

I enjoyed playing the game but it got too time-consuming and, as I said, life is far richer beyond a rectangular screen :)

Take care x x

E

@Emily.3148 said:

@medivh.4725 said:The story can be very frustrating as always. Sometimes auto walk can walk you out of the whole quest!

Quite :)

Hi all, not been in since my last post, and I stopped playing altogether: why? Because life is more exciting thanspending time in front of a computer pressing buttons :) Lockdown means spending a lot more time in front ofa computer anyway, so variety is my thing and I needed to find other ways to find fun in life, not more screen time x

One thing is unrealistic about this game's fight mechanics: there is no end to the enemies' attacks, even when they areabout to die... be they animals or humans or hairy monsters, they all rage and fight until the very end... It would be niceif, randomly,
some enemies
scattered in an effort to save their lives at the point where their health got pretty low, say,25% or less... Because in armies and in combat, not all fighters engage TO THE DEATH... and there are things like retreatingarmies or combatants agreeing to halt fighting when a winner is declared (think of jousting or boxing). I would like to knowthat regularly I could hope for an enemy, human or otherwise, to get frightened away when significantly injured, so that notall fighting had to be done to the very last ounce of health by both parties.

I enjoyed playing the game but it got too time-consuming and, as I said, life is far richer beyond a rectangular screen :)

Take care x x

E

Bye bye, please send your stuff to a kind person that will take care of it while your away.

Not just autowalk walks you out. Raptor jumps also takes you out of instances. I feel at minimal there should be a prompt of confirmation - yes or no. Before proceeding to lock the player out of the active story quest. Is that not common sense? I personally got me out of active quest so many times it is frustrating to say the least!