Question about switching to EU server to lessen WvW lag spikes

Super Fuzz.4980

Hello! I've always played on an NA server since GW2 began, as my old GW1 Guild joined on one of these servers, however I live in U.K. I have become a WvW focused player and lately I am struggling with lag spikes/ping of around 4k at times during prime-time and with 3 zergs on a map. My ping when it is quiet and I am roaming or havocing is usually around 100-250. I enjoy blob fights, so I am kinda sad about these big spikes. My internet is great, as is my PC; so I was just wondering would I notice an improvement in this if I transferred to an EU server; as geographically I will be closer to it? Or are these lag spikes "normal" these days in WvW? My worse spikes are usually Saturday night U.K time (I guess around midday NA time); almost unplayable in big groups.

Thanks!

if your web and PC are good, in EU u shouldn't have big deals. i have potatoe PC and web (laptop and wlan) and it really only spikes periodically. in big battles, if threesomes and stealthpushing goes on, then for sure. but rarely complete crashes, despite my bad setup. like, i manage to get over 1,2k kills each week with this ... it's not too bad therefore.

my ping is around 70-90, in blobfights can get surely way higher. weekend prime tends to be more laggy, bc simply many players online. our server has lots of UK players afaik, with no bigger ping issues afaik. (lagspikes are also to an extent due to anets potatoservers)

@kamikharzeeh.8016 said:if your web and PC are good, in EU u shouldn't have big deals. i have potatoe PC and web (laptop and wlan) and it really only spikes periodically. in big battles, if threesomes and stealthpushing goes on, then for sure. but rarely complete crashes, despite my bad setup. like, i manage to get over 1,2k kills each week with this ... it's not too bad therefore.

my ping is around 70-90, in blobfights can get surely way higher. weekend prime tends to be more laggy, bc simply many players online. our server has lots of UK players afaik, with no bigger ping issues afaik. (lagspikes are also to an extent due to anets potatoservers)

Ahh, 70-90 sounds good. My average ping when just roaming in WvW is 70-150 - which I guess is bad?. So it seems like maybe I would get lower ping on EU servers.

Ping will be better for you, thats it. Lag will be the same if not more due to EU activity and a complete failure on anets behalf, imagine making a game and then 8 - 9 years later SKILL LAG is still a thing. LOWER THE MAP POPULATION UNTIL NO MORE LAG K THX BYE.........

@PPT.3086 nah, further map cap lowering ain't too smart. it's designed as MASS-pvp format with pvE aspects (the keeps etc).

and it is yet difficult. map caps been lowered to ~70? from ~78? and it just has more queues thanks to that. on average, 2 maps are queued, during reset even 3 or rarely 4.

Anet just needs to provide more serverpower for it, it#s that easy. with the current potatoservers they could never release the game to steam, everything would just stop working if they tried.

@Super Fuzz.4980 yeah when i'd have tht much average ping, i would try to restart the game here. u can be nearly sure that u will hve a better ping here. we even had NA players in EU, and quite some gone back to NA because the ping situation is just worse here for them. (ofc, for the night ppters who farm at 4am - 6am CEST this won't matter since nobody to fight anyways due to every sane person sleeping...)

@Super Fuzz.4980 yeah when i'd have tht much average ping, i would try to restart the game here. u can be nearly sure that u will hve a better ping here. we even had NA players in EU, and quite some gone back to NA because the ping situation is just worse here for them. (ofc, for the night ppters who farm at 4am - 6am CEST this won't matter since nobody to fight anyways due to every sane person sleeping...)

Thank you, I will give it a try. Any recommendations for a good EU WvW server? I see Desolation and FSP are open currently. I like blob fights but also comped havocing - so any servers with dedicated and competitive Guilds for that would be cool!

@Super Fuzz.4980 said:

@"kamikharzeeh.8016" said:if your web and PC are good, in EU u shouldn't have big deals. i have potatoe PC and web (laptop and wlan) and it really only spikes periodically. in big battles, if threesomes and stealthpushing goes on, then for sure. but rarely complete crashes, despite my bad setup. like, i manage to get over 1,2k kills each week with this ... it's not too bad therefore.

Ahh, 70-90 sounds good. My average ping when just roaming in WvW is 70-150 - which I guess is bad?. So it seems like maybe I would get lower ping on EU servers.Its not "bad", but higher ping is always higher ping. Most games you can do with ~200 before you start seeing constant lag.I average 40-50ish WvW to the EU servers.