Storyline Disconnects - [Merged]

Fixed it.If you are in the UK and with Virgin Media, do this!.I've tried everything in this thread, apart from 1 suggestion. Using a VPN.I looked for one that had a 30-day money-back guarantee in case it didn't work.£50 for 3 years was the best deal with ZenMate.. and out of habit I went on topcashback and it was 99% cashback... so FREE.https://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/jasonorme666

I downloaded it, connected it and ran the last HoT story mission for the 30th time in the past 3 days, and got all the way to the end and completed it.No issues at all.

Honestly, couldn't be happier, years I've avoided story missions on my alts.

• 3 weeks later...

Look, ArenaNet, it doesn't matter if you can reproduce this bug or not. It doesn't matter! Just save progress at multiple points during story instances! In the first place it never should have been designed in such a way that a disconnect can cause a player to lose hours of progress.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

@katriell.2704 said:Look, ArenaNet, it doesn't matter if you can reproduce this bug or not. It doesn't matter! Just save progress at multiple points during story instances! In the first place it never should have been designed in such a way that a disconnect can cause a player to lose hours of progress.

This comment needs many thumbs up.

@"Nato.2051" said:So I've done extensive research on this, using the Guild Wars 2 Diagnostic command line argument and finding out specifically how my ISP filters encrypted traffic.

Results:On port 80, (unencrypted) connection it turns out my ISP is dropping nearly 80-85% of packets from source (me) to destination Anet servers. I believe this is a security mechanism from some ISP's to block a lot of unencrypted traffic that might seem like data mining. I am not able to identify why Storylines Specifically disconnect, but there's good news. I switched to -clientport 443 and my problems disappeared.

RECOMMENDATION TO ANYONE HAVING DISCONNECTION ISSUES IN STORYLINE INSTANCES:Set your command line argument on your executable to: -clientport 443 - this ensures that your traffic is going through an encrypted port. My results have been exeptional. Sure I had a few disconnects here and there, but I have been able to confirm zero disconnects during story line instances.

Reference: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Command_line_arguments

P.S - As customers, we shouldn't have to worry about this. I'm lucky have a network engineering background and was able to really dig into this. Otherwise most people, would just give up, and I almost did.

Thank you! This post is the only reason I can still play GW2 without fear of being d/ced from 40-minute story instances multiple times.

@"Nato.2051" said:So I've done extensive research on this, using the Guild Wars 2 Diagnostic command line argument and finding out specifically how my ISP filters encrypted traffic.

Results:On port 80, (unencrypted) connection it turns out my ISP is dropping nearly 80-85% of packets from source (me) to destination Anet servers. I believe this is a security mechanism from some ISP's to block a lot of unencrypted traffic that might seem like data mining. I am not able to identify why Storylines Specifically disconnect, but there's good news. I switched to -clientport 443 and my problems disappeared.

RECOMMENDATION TO ANYONE HAVING DISCONNECTION ISSUES IN STORYLINE INSTANCES:Set your command line argument on your executable to: -clientport 443 - this ensures that your traffic is going through an encrypted port. My results have been exeptional. Sure I had a few disconnects here and there, but I have been able to confirm zero disconnects during story line instances.

Reference: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Command_line_arguments

P.S - As customers, we shouldn't have to worry about this. I'm lucky have a network engineering background and was able to really dig into this. Otherwise most people, would just give up, and I almost did.

Thanks. Now i can finish the old story whit my other characaters without spend houres to repeat misions

Gates of Maguuma is giving me this constant disconnect glitch. As this is my first 80, I can't actually use my Mastery Points until I complete this chapter that disconnects itself before it can finish. -clientport 443 didn't work, and actually caused me to disconnect sooner. -clientport 80 DID however save me (It was a good thing I saw that on the wiki, a last Hail Mary) Comcast customers take note.

@Kuronan.2504 said:Gates of Maguuma is giving me this constant disconnect glitch. As this is my first 80, I can't actually use my Mastery Points until I complete this chapter that disconnects itself before it can finish. -clientport 443 didn't work, and actually caused me to disconnect sooner. -clientport 80 DID however save me (It was a good thing I saw that on the wiki, a last Hail Mary) Comcast customers take note.

For others with an issue trying to get rid of Mastery Point pop-up, doing the first chapter of the Icebrood Saga works, as well (no combat, can mute dialogue to avoid spoilers, pretty much).

I don't often post in the forums but wanted to give an update on my experience with the story disconnects issue.I had been stuck in Victory or Death for quite some time, the quest for Romke's map cut every time right at the end. A good 15-20 runs at that as I was used to some disconnects through story.Looking at this thread I tried -clientport 443 which didn't work for me, however -clientport 80 did mixed with windowed fullscreen mode. It got me through Romke's map and on into the Orr story.However!The final quest then disconnected repeatedly. It got almost as far as tracking Zhiatan then disconnected at the same point after the cutscene when swapping airships.In this case I removed the -clientport 80 command and tried again. And it worked!I've finally managed the end of the Orr tale with that alt.

It seems, not only can you suffer several disconnects in a story, but the fix which worked in one instance may not work in the next.The -clientport commands are very definitely worth trying and toggling between story missions if you start getting trouble again.

• 2 weeks later...

Sadly still an issue in December 20203/3 DC. I finish him, I see the cinematic where he explodes, and then black screen. When I click the option "skip to end", I disconnect.

However, after the 4th attempt I succeeded. The tried the above trick "streaming on demand", did not work on its own. I also had to give the GW game client specific access to go through the firewall. I used this guide: https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/115015788327-Configuring-your-Router-and-Firewall-Ports

It was odd for me that this did work as I do not have issues anywhere else in the game. Whatever the reason, I am glad I can continue.

I've played GW2 on and off (largely off I admit) since sometime around the end of LW1, previously on an old account I no longer have access to and again much more recently on my new account (around end of LW3 on and off), in all that time I never had an issue with any disconnections either storyline or otherwise, perhaps the odd one here and there but you expect that to be the case from time to time.

Most recently I've started playing again a couple of weeks ago and I decided to finally give in playing my paper thin Ele and start the story again as a new, more tanky build/character for a better time with solo play in HoT and beyond. Since starting this new character, however, I have had multiple story instances disconnect multiple times, always longer instances! I am currently stuck on the Romke's Map quest and have been literally all day! The clientport workarounds + running and around and using skills during dialogue scenes has helped me get past the spirits of the wild where it kept disconnecting at first, but now it simply won't make it past the last unskippable cutscene. Nothing I have tried from this thread works, fullscreen or windowed seems to do nothing, neither clientport has an affect and I am singularly upset and frustrated. I am having alot more fun playing as my Necromancer (Scourge build in progress) than I did as my Ele where everything felt like a struggle, but now I am stuck and not only am I stuck I am being floored by an issue I have never had any problem with through multiple laptops, ISP's and geographical locations, including this laptop in my previous home, even worse I find out this is a long running issue that has never been fixed with workarounds that are hit and miss in terms of working.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had the exact same issue as mentioned in this topic.I couldn't finish the latest story quest in Hearth of Stones expansion. I was trying so many times (also keep dying from the final boss) and all the time getting disconnections after cutscenes. I was so pissed off...I tried most of the solutions mentioned here - including changing content streaming to max, launching game with -clientport 443 and nothing worked.

What I just tried is use CyberGhost paid VPN and it worked like a charm - was able to finish the story without any issues.I think there is some kind of problem with packets flow using a specific route that affects a lot of ISPs including mine. During playing online content, I occasionally was also getting dc and some log errors popups but not often enough to bother me.I don't think this is something Arenanet can fix on their side because it doesn't fully depend on them how the traffic is routed. It might be just one single route issue/packet loss that is commonly used to send and receive packets to and from their data centre where the game is hosted for let's say 20% of the ISP's players are using.

If you are having similar issues and you tried everything and have no clue what to do except play wow instead just download the trial version of CyberGhost and connect to their closest server using Wireguard protocol (this one is fastest and low latency one).

• 2 weeks later...

How is this still an issue? I'm not trying to be toxic here, but they had employees here a few years ago mention they can't replicate the issue.....what??? This is happening for every single player that I've talked to in game. How could they not replicate it? I'm a new player, and I'm absolutely loving the game, but this issue is turning me off so much. In at least half of the main story quests, I get to the end, and then after the last dialogue/cutscene, my character gets frozen and after a few seconds, I'm kicked to the character selection screen with an error message (that many have linked in this thread) and then I have to repeat the entire mission. Even if I had an unlimited amount of time to play this game (which I do not), I would still be very upset with this. The story is pretty good in this game, and I want to progress through it, not play the same missions over and over again. Please, please, please at least fix this before you release the next expansion.

This is by far the most annoying game breaking issue. I spent an hour clearing the very long visions of the past in icebrood which requires a few people to only to have it dc after I beat the second phase.

I frequently get dc on many many other missions too always at the end when the missions over and NPCs are talking not even in cutscenes.

Looking at the forums this has been an issue for over 5 years. Arenanet have a great story telling game but they just don’t care about this

I came online to and search this issue and am disheartened to see it's been an issue for the last several years. I have a good computer and am hard-wired in for internet and the only time I get booted is in the cutscene. I'm about to finish up one tonight (hopefully) and don't even know where to complain. As I have read, the bug issue never gets a response and it's super frustrating that some cutscenes you can skip and others you can't. The only ones that boot me are the ones where we have no option. I'm going to try turning down graphics, clearing game cache and even possibly minimizing the game to see if it lets me through. Any other suggestions out in game land since ArenaNet doesn't seem to care?

@Treens.5471 said:I came online to and search this issue and am disheartened to see it's been an issue for the last several years. I have a good computer and am hard-wired in for internet and the only time I get booted is in the cutscene. I'm about to finish up one tonight (hopefully) and don't even know where to complain. As I have read, the bug issue never gets a response and it's super frustrating that some cutscenes you can skip and others you can't. The only ones that boot me are the ones where we have no option. I'm going to try turning down graphics, clearing game cache and even possibly minimizing the game to see if it lets me through. Any other suggestions out in game land since ArenaNet doesn't seem to care?

There's a plethora of workarounds/tips in this very thread. I suggest you read from last to first.

Good luck.

I returned to the game and am having the same issue. There’s nothing worse than getting to the end of a story mission, disconnect, and then am forced to redo everything again. Must agree with the others. And I hope they address this before the next expansion comes out.

Edit: I noticed this happens after a cinematic followed by an in-game dialogue break. If I don’t move or act and stand there a listen, I am 100% going to disconnect. But if I move or activate an ability, my disconnection rate drops to zero. If I had to guess, the disconnection might be because the server thinks we’re idle. Again, that’s a guess, but the simple workaround of moving back and forth stopped my disconnections.

I hope this helps someone.

• 3 weeks later...

I'll have to join the club. Never had this problem before on either of my laptops (same router, same isp, nothing changed there). It is my resently built gaming PC that is having dc's during cinematics/ in instances. It can happen in story instances, fractals (Sunqua Peak right before the last boss, when the stag spirit yappers unskippable dialog!) or in open world (nice dc in Dragon Stand meta during the unskippable cinematics of Mr Mordy skewering himself, one can't get their loot if not in squad!)

The setting "stream content" ->"on demand" helped with open world dc's, now I can get my loot in DS, but not with story or fractals.

Really reluctant of doing Sunqua Peak ever again. It always kicks me to character select screen when the damned stag does his dialog. No moving around, typing to chat or spamming skills work. It will kick me out of the fractal every time.

Story instances are a puzzle, sometimes I can just stand around and wait the npc's to talk their talks and finish the instance just fine. Then try to do another, I will get kicked (aka "dc") if I don't spam buttons while their talking. Same goes if there is a cinematic.

Just thought I'd add something to the mix: I was having the same issue at the end of 2020. Nothing worked. Was in daily email discussions with tech-support (they were very helpful and tried their best) but, nothing worked. Just as I thought it was fixed. BAM!, a disconnect!

The ONLY thing which stopped it for me, was using a VPN when doing story content. I had to rent one for around £5.00 per month but, for me, it was worth it. Never had one again...

MY GOD please do something about DCs during stories!!At least have spots where the story is saved. I been working on story last 3 days and its a constant problem !! I was just about done with Kralk fight , got to last crystal and BAM ....DC !!!IM am so pissed , now I got to do that SH*T all over again !!!This is last toon ill do story on, its to annoying and aggravating.From now on ill just do it long enough to unlock the map and forget the rest !!

• Like 2

I dread cinematics now. I’ve lost count of the disconnects during a story mission over the last month. Without fail, if I stand still too long while listening to dialogue, it’ll happen. Tonight, I got to the end of the Path of Fire storyline. The cinematic where a no-spoiler dies starts, and then I disconnect. Here’s the kicker: I got the achievement where I didn’t die from the ultimate attack when I logged in, but the game forced me to redo the ENTIRE fight. It recognized I completed the fight but required me to redo it regardless, to continue the storyline.

Nonsense like that makes me want to quit again.