Trapper Rune is still in the game?

@Megametzler.5729 said:

@Zephoid.4263 said:(...)Without the rune, DH is straight garbage teir again. It was on par with core engy and chrono for lack of viable builds. Lack of swiftness anywhere relevant in guard skillset makes Lynx necessary, which completely kills build diversity.(...)

I am always confused by people arguing like this.

If this is true, then DH can never get buffed without making it OP, because of the rune.

Change/delete the rune, then buff the rest of DH - slightly, noone likes passive trap bots, but the pushing/pulling playstyle was fun and challenging. This also enables more build diversity, because the rune is less of a straight up addon to some few burst builds.

I agree 100%. If dh is viable because of trapper rune and gbage without it that clearly indicates not only are their sever problems with the dh spec but also with trapper runes.Trapper ruins 6th bonus needs a rework or hard nerf and if needed dh some buffs in area to make it viable, hopefully in a manner that doesn't promote a skill less playstyle as is trap dh currently.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:

@"Zephoid.4263" said:(...)Without the rune, DH is straight garbage teir again. It was on par with core engy and chrono for lack of viable builds. Lack of swiftness anywhere relevant in guard skillset makes Lynx necessary, which completely kills build diversity.(...)

I am always confused by people arguing like this.

If this is true, then DH can never get buffed without making it OP, because of the rune.

Change/delete the rune, then buff the rest of DH - slightly, noone likes passive trap bots, but the pushing/pulling playstyle was fun and challenging. This also enables more build diversity, because the rune is less of a straight up addon to some few burst builds.

I agree 100%. If dh is viable because of trapper rune and gbage without it that clearly indicates not only are their sever problems with the dh spec but also with trapper runes.Trapper ruins 6th bonus needs a rework or hard nerf and if needed dh some buffs in area to make it viable, hopefully in a manner that doesn't promote a skill less playstyle as is trap dh currently.

"B-but Trapper Rune has remained unchanged for years kwkwkwkwkw."

Yeah, not like other changes happened that indirectly and massively buffed the rune, LEL. The most skill-less, monotone and low risk promoting rune.

But we get it, Anet and CMC. You hate roamers, you hate timing-reliant risk/reward builds.

@Shao.7236 said:Honestly all those DH underpowered claims. I guess Meditrapper never was a thing? I remember playing it, I still see people playing it. (Mes afaik) Was decent and fun.

An ICD won't kill the build but make decisions something to value upon.

That’s what the build need to stop being braindead go to steal for escape or land your damage.

@Shao.7236 said:Honestly all those DH underpowered claims. I guess Meditrapper never was a thing? I remember playing it, I still see people playing it. (Mes afaik) Was decent and fun.

Meditrapper was a thing in an entirely different meta. It was one of my main picks during the late HoT era, I remember how PoF dropped midseason (yes they released a whole expansion in the middle of a PvP season) and that was the last time meditrapper was meta. Scourge took over the area denial role, and there was excessive amount of stability and stunbreaks flying around. Not to mention reflects became common because of deadeyes.DH currently is underpowered. Go ahead and play power DH with Lynx rune instead of Trappers. It's definitely possible, but it's like playing staff ele or core engineer... of course you can but why would you? Do you hate yourself that much?

So based on forum posts we should:

• Remove Trapper rune to balance DH

• Remove Resistance rune to balance Herald

• Remove Speed rune to balance Renegade

Should we throw Soldier rune in there? It would hit Tempest, Healbreaker and Core shout guard in one fell swoop. That aught to tone down sustain.

The game will be balanced in no time at this rate. Runes can't carry builds if there are no runes left.

@megilandil.7506 said:love those rand posts:

stealths is ok but if someone else gets acces to it it becomes OP... mmmm OK

Yeah cuz thiefs burst out stealth is anywhere comparable to a burn dh using trapper, gimmie a break. If thief had that burst out stealth everyone would cry so hard lol. Dh was designed to have less mobility than trapper rune gives it and isn't designed to have access to stealth, that is the difference and why now that dh is using it for its braindead cheese build it makes the class stupid. People can go on and defend guards just like necros defend lich and cores sustain yet there's a reason they are the fotm classes. Braindead cheese low effort good reward gbage. Most matches have two guard or necros on each team....for a reason. Literally the same handful of classes/builds are seen over and over cuz gw2 players for the most part regardless of their main scramble to the fotm broken classes to spam em, pvp in this game lol can't surprise anyone its almost dead.

@Kuma.1503 said:So based on forum posts we should:

Should we throw Soldier rune in there? It would hit Tempest, Healbreaker and Core shout guard in one fell swoop. That aught to tone down sustain.

The game will be balanced in no time at this rate. Runes can't carry builds if there are no runes left.

The problem is how th 6th bonus of some runes are absolutely broken OP. Just compare the 6th bonus on something like Rune of the Water: AoE (small range though) condicleanse after using a healing skill on a 20 seconds ICD... to 3 seconds of stealth and superspeed on trap usage with no ICD... what? They are not even in the same ballpark. Not to mention trap is a type of skill that guardians have access to... which of course fits perfectly. The brave defenders of Tyria, using the powers of light, justice and stealth.

Rune of Speed turns swiftness into superspeed. How do you justify an easy access 66% speedboost when some classes are designed and balanced around being slow? Even if it's not broken currently, I don't want a necro running around with a 66% speedbuff. You want to play necro? Deal with being slow.

I don't see problem with the rest though. I mean Resistance and Soldier runes are actually useful(unlike 90% of the runesets we get to choose from), so I get why some people are whinging about them, but they are not over the top.

My point is, sometimes removal of a thing can be a good thing. Especially when the studio is working on the next x-pac and can't be bothered with reworks.

@Bazsi.2734 said:

Meditrapper was a thing in an entirely different meta. It was one of my main picks during the late HoT era, I remember how PoF dropped midseason (yes they released a whole expansion in the middle of a PvP season) and that was the last time meditrapper was meta. Scourge took over the area denial role, and there was excessive amount of stability and stunbreaks flying around. Not to mention reflects became common because of deadeyes.DH currently is underpowered. Go ahead and play power DH with Lynx rune instead of Trappers. It's definitely possible, but it's like playing staff ele or core engineer... of course you can but why would you? Do you hate yourself that much?

Don't recall Meditrapper to be an AoE denial type of role, more like a 1v1 sidenodder with some form of control normally.

Doesn't have to be meta to be viable, it's honestly still good and fun to play on, the main source of damage which is Test of Faith was not even touched in term of damage either. The flow is relatively the same so really, it's just as good as it was back then because everything was toned down. Sure, it can be more effort to play on but that's the fun part of it. Are reflects that much of an issue? Why is Renegade Shortbow not having that problem then? I think it doesn't really matter if you manage projectiles right.

Asking me if I hate myself that much? I play Core Revenant on a daily basis in several ways, not counting other Herald or Renegade variants with a great deal of success.

@Bazsi.2734 said:

@"Kuma.1503" said:So based on forum posts we should:

The problem is how th 6th bonus of some runes are absolutely broken OP. Just compare the 6th bonus on something like Rune of the Water: AoE (small range though) condicleanse after using a healing skill on a 20 seconds ICD... to 3 seconds of stealth and superspeed on trap usage with no ICD... what? They are not even in the same ballpark. Not to mention trap is a type of skill that guardians have access to... which of course fits perfectly. The brave defenders of Tyria, using the powers of light, justice and stealth.

Rune of Speed turns swiftness into superspeed. How do you justify an easy access 66% speedboost when some classes are designed and balanced around being slow? Even if it's not broken currently, I don't want a necro running around with a 66% speedbuff. You want to play necro? Deal with being slow.

I don't see problem with the rest though. I mean Resistance and Soldier runes are actually useful(unlike 90% of the runesets we get to choose from), so I get why some people are whinging about them, but they are not over the top.

My point is, sometimes removal of a thing can be a good thing. Especially when the studio is working on the next x-pac and can't be bothered with reworks.

Removing something can be a good thing, but it should always be a last resort.

Imagine if doctors treated patients the same way Anet does balance.

"So doc, I stubbed my toe this morning... I think it might be bruised."

"Yup, that's gonna have to come off"

"I beg your pardon--"

"Nurse, grab the Gilgi saw!"

Whether they're busy or not is no excuse for poor balance. It's a large corporation not a small indie dev team. If they wanted to devote resources to PvP they could. 1 or 2 people spending 1 day out of the week work over PvP issues would more than suffice. Balance would be slow, but they could at least ensure patches were of higher quality.

Meditrapper was fine before the rework. Slightly on the weaker side, but playable into a lot of comps. I was an avid player of it, and enjoyed great a many hours on it.

@Axl.8924 said:aw man removing runes and amulets, and dumbing down the game please guys stop

While the thread sounds like it asks for being deleting, the majority agree's to adjust. Giving it an ICD ain't much for Anet to work with and it'll put forth more thinking into the build rather than outright deleting or keeping it stupidly easy to use as it is.

May be strange Anet made such Rune, I can see why as using Traps is a game of constant repositioning but without the ICD, it definitely goes beyond what Anet wanted to do.

@Kuma.1503 said:

Removing something
can
be a good thing, but it should always be a last resort.

"I beg your pardon--"

Whether they're busy or not is no excuse for poor balance. It's a large corporation not a small indie dev team. If they wanted to devote resources to PvP they could. 1 or 2 people spending 1 day out of the week work over PvP issues would more than suffice. Balance would be slow, but they could at least ensure patches were of higher quality.

When your little finger has a cancerous growth, taking time to weigh your options puts you at risk for metastasis. Trapper Rune is not a bruise, it's one of the main reason players leave the gamemode in drowes. If you take too long to balance, there will be no point in balancing. You're not operating on a dead patient.

Also them working on EoD is not an excuse, it's a reason. I abhore how they just let the MMO with the best combat system rot away like this, but hey, I'm not the one giving the devs next months payckeck so... all I can do is casually boo from the sidelines.

@Bazsi.2734 said:

Removing something
can
be a good thing, but it should always be a last resort.

"I beg your pardon--"

When your little finger has a cancerous growth, taking time to weigh your options puts you at risk for metastasis. Trapper Rune is not a bruise, it's one of the main reason players leave the gamemode in drowes. If you take too long to balance, there will be no point in balancing. You're not operating on a dead patient.

To be fair, every time something becomes popular and strong in PvP it becomes the new "main reason why players are leaving". I've heard the same thing about condi rev, renegade, nade holo, condi thief...

The best things I could compare to a cancerous growth would be gamebreaking bugs, bots, exploits, cheating/hacking, wintrading. These are the kinds of things that need to be dealt with immediately. (And unfortunately, many of them haven't).

The problem in this context that we're too quick to call for an excision before we've even done a proper diagnosis. That mole growing on your foot might be benign, it sure would suck to lose an entire foot to something that would have caused you a few inconveniences at worse, but enough of the medical analogies.

Others have suggested ways that these runes can be balanced without the need to remove them. Whether it be an ICD, rework, or other tweaks.

With their limited man power in mind, the easiest solution would be to give the rune an ICD. If it still proves to be problematic despite attempts to balance it, then removal should be considered.

Also them working on EoD is not an excuse, it's a reason. I abhore how they just let the MMO with the best combat system rot away like this, but hey, I'm not the one giving the devs next months payckeck so... all I can do is casually boo from the sidelines.

Sucks when the average player seems to care 10x more about the game than the creators (specifically the higher ups) do, but yeah. It's about all we can do.

@Shao.7236 said:

Don't recall Meditrapper to be an AoE denial type of role, more like a 1v1 sidenodder with some form of control normally.

Doesn't have to be meta to be viable, it's honestly still good and fun to play on, the main source of damage which is Test of Faith was not even touched in term of damage either. The flow is relatively the same so really, it's just as good as it was back then because everything was toned down. Sure, it can be more effort to play on but that's the fun part of it. Are reflects that much of an issue? Why is Renegade Shortbow not having that problem then? I think it doesn't really matter if you manage projectiles right.

Asking me if I hate myself that much? I play Core Revenant on a daily basis in several ways, not counting other Herald or Renegade variants with a great deal of success.

No, it's not the same as it was. Trueshot has double the cooldown. Deflecting shot no longer deals damage, has an additional. 75s cast time and half the travel speed.Spear or justice has 3 times the cast speed.Sword 2 lost 50% of its initial damage. Smite condition and lesser smite condition lost 95% (yes, 95%) of its damage.Judges intervention lost 66% of its dmg. Hunters ward became backloaded.Test of faith received an internal cooldown.Traps no longer daze. Hunters determination got removed from the game.

Should I keep going?

I'm not arguing wether or not the class is strong or weak, I'm just saying that your claim of "its just as good as it was relative to everything else" is false.

@Math.5123 said:

No, it's not the same as it was. Trueshot has double the cooldown. Deflecting shot no longer deals damage, has an additional. 75s cast time and half the travel speed.Spear or justice has 3 times the cast speed.Sword 2 lost 50% of its initial damage. Smite condition and lesser smite condition lost 95% (yes, 95%) of its damage.Judges intervention lost 66% of its dmg. Hunters ward became backloaded.Test of faith received an internal cooldown.Traps no longer daze. Hunters determination got removed from the game.

Should I keep going?

I'm not arguing wether or not the class is strong or weak, I'm just saying that your claim of "its just as good as it was relative to everything else" is false.

Yeah sure.. Let's point out everything alone in a vacuum while forgetting that everything in the game also was affected. You can't be for real either, caring about some of the big cheese of it that was fixed too, test of faith having an internal cooldown? Must have been carrying people back in the days, because I picked it up again and it's not really changing the pace at all.

Like said, relative to everything else right now. It's fine and the word should be going by.

The problem is less trapper rune and more:

1. Reveal on hit for stealth is a bad mechanic for PvP
  2. DH has two unevadeable CC pulls, which combined with Reveal-on-hit makes for uninteractive and unskillful "spam AoEs " gameplay

If you fixed stealth and removed unevadeables ( No skill needs to be unevadeable unless you are trash. Learn to count your opponents dodges ) trapper rune would be fine.

@"Master Ketsu.4569" said:The problem is less trapper rune and more:

2. DH has two unevadeable CC pulls, which combined with Reveal-on-hit makes for uninteractive and unskillful "spam AoEs " gameplay

If you fixed stealth and removed unevadeables ( No skill needs to be unevadeable unless you are trash. Learn to count your opponents dodges ) trapper rune would be fine.

Dh has no unevadable pulls.

@Shao.7236 said:

Should I keep going?

Yeah sure.. Let's point out everything alone in a vacuum while forgetting that everything in the game also was affected. You can't be for real either, caring about some of the big cheese of it that was fixed too, test of faith having an internal cooldown? Must have been carrying people back in the days, because I picked it up again and it's not really changing the pace at all.

Like said, relative to everything else right now. It's fine and the word should be going by.

I didn't point out things in a vacuum. I simply listed the changes that has slowed down the pace of the class immensely.

Also, Valor (medi) dh doesn't have enough damage to kill a single duelist right now. To have the slightest kill potential you have to drop Valor for radiance, in which case it loses all sustain.

@Math.5123 said:

@"Master Ketsu.4569" said:The problem is less trapper rune and more:

Dh has no unevadable pulls.

Hunters Verdict is unevadeable, and anyone who can't land SoJ from stealth is literally the worst DH in the entire game.

Dragons maw is practically unevadeable. The skill itself is technically evadeable, but the AoE CC it creates when triggered is not. Thing is, evading through the trap triggers it. So the skill is for all intensive purposes unevadeable. You can also buffer/precast the skill into a teleport to instant-cast it on someone from long range -dodging this will not work even with godlike reflexes since you will still trigger the unevadeable AoE.

@"Math.5123" Test of faith still hit for 5k on Marauders, it's not unreasonably hard to get multiple hits along the other skills either and that's without Radiance. It's above the typical burst you see in the game of around 10k before people evade randomly and that keeps it in a good place.

Deflecting Shot being slower is debatable as a bad thing, before it was pretty instant, more reasons to get good at it because instant is annoyingly cheesy for the game. All CC's lost damage so nothing new here for the pace of everything else.

Never found a reason to cheese my way at it with Judge Intervention as it gets boring, feels like everyone want that in their build while Signet of Judgement is equally good over time and after for the sustain part of things, plays at a lower CD for the stunbreak. I get it. Must jump on people by port, trap, true shot, deflecting shot at the same time but because that one takes longer doesn't mean you can't swap and shield push instead, there's other ways to combine Deflecting Shot reliably regardless.

Afaik having to put more effort into it often means "slowed down" these days but I'll never agree to it, bringing a bunker in the topic won't have me change my mind either. Have yet to see one survive a proper not key mash 1v2, the moment I'll be seeing bunkers like Chrono/Scrapper that can sit directly on node like in 2016 then I'll express some concerns.