Made a mistake with a gem purchase but unable to be refunded... help?

EDIT to update: My account appears to be buggy in terms of living stories (as far as I know). This has become an issue beyond CS's ability to help with. So case is closed at the moment, and thanks for the replies :) I already submitted a bug and hopefully it will get looked at by a dev. Thanks again!

Hi everyone,

I'm not here to try and bother Anet's GMs, but rather to get insight from players who may have had a similar experience and whether they found a resolution. As the title says, this is about spending gems that now cannot be refunded.

I'm a returning player who's trying to finish the LW storylines. I reached season 4 and was going through the episodes, when I couldn't do episode 5 because it was locked. Now, I know that people who missed the release window for the episodes have to unlock them through gems, so that didn't bother me. However, as I continued through that episode, I started remembering that I've played through it before. As mentioned, I'm a returning player, so it's been a few years since the last time I've played and there's quite a bit of details I no longer remember (until those memories are jogged). I definitely do remember the big moments (especially that one that happens at the end of episode 5...). Sure enough, when I checked one of my other characters, I had already completed it on that.

Meaning... that the episode should have been unlocked for me already, but for some reason, it wasn't for the particular character that I was playing in. And again, the reason this didn't dawn on me was because I couldn't remember details like the title of the episodes. I just know that back then, I got a bit far into season 4 but I wasn't sure how far along I truly was.

Obviously, something went wrong but now (and I guess reasonably so?) the GM who answered my support ticket is telling me they can't refund my gems because they can't verify that I have previously unlocked that episode before.

So my question is, if anyone has had a similar issue and if you could share what your experience was? Did you find a resolution for it or did you just accept that you threw money down the non-mystic toilet?

I have never heard of a situation where an account has unlocked an episode on some characters and not others. As far as I aware, once it is unlocked on the account, it is completely impossible to even buy the episode again on that account.

Support should have no issues seeing that a character had previously completed an episode, ticked off an achievement or logged in during the release window to unlock it.

I feel there's something we're missing here and I'm not certain what. You don;t have multiple accounts by chance?

@Randulf.7614 said:I have never heard of a situation where an account has unlocked an episode on some characters and not others. As far as I aware, once it is unlocked on the account, it is completely impossible to even buy the episode again on that account.

Support should have no issues seeing that a character had previously completed an episode, ticked off an achievement or logged in during the release window to unlock it.

I feel there's something we're missing here and I'm not certain what. You don;t have multiple accounts by chance?

Nope, just one account. And that was my thoughts too, that there should be a log somewhere that a quest or achievement within that episode has been completed before yesterday (when I had to unlock the episode with gems). Especially since I haven't been playing a lot at all, then there isn't too much information to parse through, as far as my account is concerned.

Thanks for the response... I'll try and bring up their logs and see where that goes.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:You could try a -repair of the client. Instructions found in the Knowledge Base, accessed via the 'Support' link.

Also, Episode 5 is set in Thunderhead Peaks, not Dragonfall. A character or player does not have to unlock and play previous Episodes to play and/or enter the next map/play the next Episode.

Good luck.

I get what you're saying but again, I remember doing the quest within that episode. If the episode wasn't previously unlocked, then there wouldn't have been a way for me to play through it.I may be remembering it incorrectly, but I thought that back then at least, you couldn't play through the next chapter if you didn't play the previous one. I'm also a completionist so I don't leave stories incomplete. I was invested in the stories and I never liked not knowing what happened previously.In any case, there's not much I can do atm. I'll just make sure that the next time I have to unlock something, that I'll check around first so that if it's a bug, I'll report the bug instead of having to deal with an issue I can't dispute.

@Nuri Wurm.2496 said:I made a stupide purchase I couldn't use. I don't even remember what it was because it was awhile ago. I think it was a bank tab or something and I was maxed out. They refunded me when I wrote them. They were very nice.

They were alright. I think in this case there's more going on beyond what CS can do, unfortunately.

@meerfunkuhtron.9725 said:

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:You could try a -repair of the client. Instructions found in the Knowledge Base, accessed via the 'Support' link.

Also, Episode 5 is set in Thunderhead Peaks, not Dragonfall. A character or player does not have to unlock and play previous Episodes to play and/or enter the next map/play the next Episode.

Good luck.

I get what you're saying but again, I remember doing the quest within that episode. If the episode wasn't previously unlocked, then there wouldn't have been a way for me to play through it.I may be remembering it incorrectly, but I thought that back then at least, you couldn't play through the next chapter if you didn't play the previous one. I'm also a completionist so I don't leave stories incomplete. I was invested in the stories and I never liked not knowing what happened previously.In any case, there's not much I can do atm. I'll just make sure that the next time I have to unlock something, that I'll check around first so that if it's a bug, I'll report the bug instead of having to deal with an issue I can't dispute.

There was never a time you had to play through one to play the next. They've always been able to be played out of order