Most Fun Class in sPvP

Weerus.3701

@Weerus.3701 said:

@Stand The Wall.6987 said:staff ele hands down

But which build? :D

Staff ele is my favorite weapon in the game for PvP too. And I can say it's most fun these days as a support. However if you're playing in low gold or silver, you can still run glass staff ele (fire, air, arcane) and blow people up. I can still edge out wins in gold 3, but it's obvious I do better on support.

Staff elementalist is one of the hardest specs though. Since it has the most positioning based combos. If you want to deal damage, you need to lock people down with CC to land it. The weapon has everything you need to do that, but it's pretty weak in 1v1. So focus on disrupting the flow of the enemy team, and isolating targets for your team and peeling for your allies.

For instance, I start most game joining the mid fight, and just spamming cc on the backline. If I can keep two or three players distracted, but let one player reach mid without issue, their teamwork suffers and we usually win the first down.

But the game gets really tricky from there, you'll want to combine preventing decaps and supporting your teammates. If they do not tend to defend home. Leave it too, you should never fight alone with this build, except for very brief stints, like pushing a thief off home, rev, or guardian.

A good team will try to stagger you, so you're not able to support your team. Ignore them, you have a lot of tools to kite, don't ever get pulled into a 1v1.

Quick tip: water 2 into earth 2, into field X, causes both to land the moment your field goes down. You can use them together for water blasting or stagger them for frost shield and some heals. Basically, you've got spammable fields and spammable blast finishers. Use them. Use your cc, use your heals, use your damage. If you can pull out the maximum potential of the build. You can play into plat easily.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i've been messing around with tempest paladin fresh air aurashare. you can stack enough ferocity to have marauder stats.

I actually really like fresh air for dagger and staff. There are so many options on how to run ele these days, I even like d/d weaver now. Fresh air is even great on weaver, cause it allows you to move around more freely, and with d/d, you can double swap into air for a quick ride the lighting.

I finally settled on ele these days, since it seems to have a lot of flexibility in builds. I'm running things from core condi signet builds, or arcane burn builds with arcane power, support staff builds, etc, etc. I don't think I've played the same build two games In a row yet this season and my winrate is none the wiser. Still well above 50% and climbing, although I usually get stuck in plat 1 with this type of buildcraft. You get father by mastering 2-3 really powerful builds and rotating depending on matches. But I prefer to have fun.

@Weerus.3701 said:

@Filip.7463 said:Ren / prev

Thanks, will try it. I haven't been playing for years now, but no way in hell am I running my main mesmer, what has happened while I was away? XDOne dodge cmon...

That's not Mesmer but Mirage.

Yes I was thinking of mirage. I'm just baffled as how anet could remove core mechanic from a class. Only one dodge on class that is centered around dodging. Thats dodgy :D

They added an extra dodge on Daredevil, what stops them from removing any? Besides, Mirage can dodge at anytime and have more dodges laying all over the place as you play the profession that can be used to constantly pressure with added Vigor.

There's more dodges accessible overtime on Mirage than any other spec, it was a clear issue to never be able to kill any Mirages with 2 dodges and nobody wants to admit that. Only way was if they were very bad or countered by impossibly risky transfers that they couldn't recover from.

Finally Jaunt exists.

@Weerus.3701 said:

@"LolLookAtMyAP.8394" said:PRO TIP: This is coming from someone who's PvP'd for a long time.Classes are only fun... if you play them well. If you play an interesting class but keep dying, over and over, you won't like it. You'll end up being frustrated.

So the answer should be: any class can be fun as long as you commit to it and try your hardest on making it work. When you are able to carry a team, you probably feel proud and like you are a meaningful asset to your team. If you're playing some build and keep dying over and over that obviously isn't fun in any sense.

I totally agree, and I intend to try few of the general fun gameplay classes and see for myself. So far revenant seems to be nice. But will try others to be sure on who to invest time. What would you recommend? :)

It's hard to recommend any class really, because of how unfriendly Conquest is to newer players. The game doesn't teach anything regarding rotation for Conquest. I would not recommend a class that is overly restrictive (Mirage, Revenant) but rather one with plenty of resources and tools that haven't really been nerfed much. I'd look into Holosmith.

@"LolLookAtMyAP.8394" said:

@"LolLookAtMyAP.8394" said:PRO TIP: This is coming from someone who's PvP'd for a long time.Classes are only fun... if you play them well. If you play an interesting class but keep dying, over and over, you won't like it. You'll end up being frustrated.

So the answer should be: any class can be fun as long as you commit to it and try your hardest on making it work. When you are able to carry a team, you probably feel proud and like you are a meaningful asset to your team. If you're playing some build and keep dying over and over that obviously isn't fun in any sense.

I totally agree, and I intend to try few of the general fun gameplay classes and see for myself. So far revenant seems to be nice. But will try others to be sure on who to invest time. What would you recommend? :)

It's hard to recommend any class really, because of how unfriendly Conquest is to newer players. The game doesn't teach anything regarding rotation for Conquest. I would not recommend a class that is overly restrictive (Mirage, Revenant) but rather one with plenty of resources and tools that haven't really been nerfed much. I'd look into Holosmith.

Interesting view, will give it a try :)

@Shao.7236 said:There's more dodges accessible overtime on Mirage than any other spec, it was a clear issue to never be able to kill any Mirages with 2 dodges and nobody wants to admit that.

This is incredibly strange to me, both the part when a developer thought removing the window for being punished for getting stunned was a good mechanical decision to push live in a game with a competitive side, and the part where people adamantly defended being able to do so while conveniently ignoring how much vigor/energy they could regain with proper sigil/rune/traitline choices.

Every time I hear someone ask for another dodge back on Mirage I think about this.

On topic though

Which class fun to playI'm talking about mid to high skill ceiling classes that provide great reward for ppl willing to master them.

All of them are fun, and with some level of effort can break even with good players, though some are more easily countered than others.

If I had to be forced to order them I'd go:

1: [Everything that isn't scourge]2: Scourge

And that's only tentative. I'm sure the right combo of punishments can lead to something nice.

@"Weerus.3701" said:I'm very intrigued by ele, but never really invested into one. Where could I learn all those rotations and blasting from? :)I was never fond of engineer tho, but it bothers me that I don't own a meduim armor class. Holo looking nice tho...

Been playing mesmer for years, but the spot it is in, I don't really wan't to play too much with him. It's my main tho.Thief is imo same as mesmer, decaping and only +1. Its fine and I've been doing it always. But I want some high risk/High reward. To potentially outplay oponent. Is revenant it? :pensive:Just made HFB for fractals and it's fun. I could try it in pvp too I guess. Which build would you recomment. I do like to support. But i'm more intrigued by winning 1v1 and 2v2 etc. at the moment, as I never focused on this before.

If you're interested in learning Ele, I highly reccomend checking out Cellograg's Youtube Channel He's one of the best weavers out there, and he's got several in depth guides posted

Here is a

by Kahsua that does a good job of explaining your Bread n butter combos.

Vallun has a few guides on his channel, including builds for Weaver, Tempest, and Support Firebrand. Check out his recent how to support video for a Firebrand build you can try out.

Or if you don't mind off meta builds. I can also give you my Sage firebrand build with a quick rundown of why it takes the traits it does ect.

I can recommend thief. If you like having map awareness, high kill participation, very low deaths, and having decisions to make- thief has a very low skill floor if you do your research and spend your first games experimenting to get to grips with the roaming playstyle.. but like others have said it's supposed to have a very high skill ceiling.. So in terms of continuous improvement (which I was also after, as a newer player also only been playing 7 weeks) it's got it.

You say you want to break a skill barrier 3+ times in your time- I've transitioned my playstyle and understanding about 5 times already after 70 games because the decision making is really the crucial point and that involves a wider awareness.

It's not much of a duelist/fighter though (or at least if you are dueling a lot you're playing the class wrong). Some of the really high level players who really know what they are doing will duel from time to time but it'll take months if not years to get to that level, I don't care what gaming background you have. The core of improving on thief is map reading and situational awareness.

You might, if you have a background in competitive games, get sucked into duels because they're so easy to win against mindless noobs in your first batch of games, but once you get placed and start playing ranked you will have to readjust and play the role properly.

@Shao.7236 said:

@Filip.7463 said:Ren / prev

Thanks, will try it. I haven't been playing for years now, but no way in hell am I running my main mesmer, what has happened while I was away? XDOne dodge cmon...

Yes I was thinking of mirage. I'm just baffled as how anet could remove core mechanic from a class. Only one dodge on class that is centered around dodging. Thats dodgy :D

They added an extra dodge on Daredevil, what stops them from removing any? Besides, Mirage can dodge at anytime and have more dodges laying all over the place as you play the profession that can be used to constantly pressure with added Vigor.

There's more dodges accessible overtime on Mirage than any other spec, it was a clear issue to never be able to kill any Mirages with 2 dodges and nobody wants to admit that. Only way was if they were very bad or countered by impossibly risky transfers that they couldn't recover from.

Finally Jaunt exists.

There's more dodges accessible overtime on Mirage than any other spec???

@Leonidrex.5649 said:

@"Filip.7463" said:Ren / prev

Finally Jaunt exists.

Explained that wrong, but meant with 2 bars. Yes there was more "overtime" and considering they can be used at anytime. It was overkill.

@Shao.7236 said:

Finally Jaunt exists.

Explained that wrong, but meant with 2 bars. Yes there was more "overtime" and considering they can be used at anytime. It was overkill.

mirage had less dodge uptime then classes like weaver or thief, even with 2 dodges. now its just lul

I vote for warrior even though the Feb patch neutered them. The 5 sec weapon swap discipline line gives make fights with warrior feel smooth while giving warrior adaptability with in each fight. War also had great damage potential that didn't rely on cheese meme strategies in the form of punishing its opponents hard that made mistakes causing them to be caught in the wars predictable cc and burst. The wars predictable bursts and mostly easily tell able skills led warrior mains to either get creative to land their bursts or wait patiently for a mistake to capitalize on. Unfortunately the Feb patch took half of the wars ability to punish mistakes via removing damage from all cc skills, that said their still a blast to play if u like dueling. Also warrior has a meta heal build if u like support. Ultimately play what u like most, but the game doesn't need another burn guard, trap dh or necro imo lol.

@Weerus.3701 said:

@LuRkEr.9462 said:Yea, Mesmer is fun in pvp but very weak class at the moment. Honestly pretty much any class other than mesmer is really good in pvp if you play their role well. It really depends on what you want to do in pvp (team fights, roaming, bunker, etc.)

Ele as mentioned can be very powerful and carry teams at times though it takes alot of skill to be effective.

Which build of ele would you recommend. I intend to focus on nailing rotations even tho its hard :D Im gonna at least give it a decent try.

GodsOfPvP and MetaBattle both have pvp builds for Ele. You can either Damage or Support depending on what your team needs. (Having a support when the other team doesn't is often a huge advantage) Just know it really does take alot of practice. A good ele is extremely hard to kill but a bad ele will die quickly.

@Leonidrex.5649 said:

Finally Jaunt exists.

mirage had less dodge uptime then classes like weaver or thief, even with 2 dodges. now its just lul

At release till it was patched Mirage Cloak was a full second (or even 1.25 but I'm being fair giving it 1 second instead) compared the 3/4 of regular uptime and fixing that still wasn't enough (Imagine my shock that evading at anytime isn't broken enough already, just dodge every following burst.) but who's gonna admit it anyway.

Daredevil with endurance alone surpass both yet with 3 bars barely beating Mirage by 0.25, but having Mirage Cloak usable at any time twice is really easy to recover from anything in the entire game, forget exhaustion unless you're going to count it on Daredevil as well.

Put weapons into the mix not counting utility or invulnerables, Daredevil uptime can't get more than 3.75 back to back with weapon evade spam, you'd think Weaver won with 4.25 yet Mirage can go up to 4.5 (1+1+1.75+0.75) because people loved to abuse that sword evade bloated in uptime (and mobility) while benching Axes of Symmetry for damage, which is also still strong today in Hybrid Damage but that's something else no one will admit to regardless.

Want to add utility, traits and invulnerabilites? Don't forget /optional/ Mirrors that can be spawned alongside 3 extra seconds of invulnerability that will easily break any sustain uptime from all utility people can toss (outside of stealth spam), not forgetting Jaunt and Blinds.

Definitely not above Mirage, of course you can still connect everything else again under the latter as CD's go down but you see, this is all part of Mirage gameplay whether you play offensively or defensively, Weaver or Daredevil don't get all of this while being able to dodge "anytime", maybe just Primordial Stance or Steal at best.

Have me go GS/Sword+Torch and abuse that overpowered design instead then complain balance nerfs to my profession because I can't be super powerful and untouchable at the same time.

Implying that this was okay also implies that Revenant was fine with a stunbreak every 10 seconds that could follow with evade spam or that Spellbreaker evade spam was also okay. They weren't at all and funnily enough did not match Mirage superior Cloak uptime.

Weaver actually sits barely above the food chain in terms of evade now and that's the only viable part of Elementalist, core is extremely weak with all the high cooldowns as Weaver get the best utility and Tempest is either a easy glassy kill or a aurabot. Should you know who really has it worst right now, definitely not Mesmer or Mirage even at one dodge.

@Kuma.1503 said:

@"Weerus.3701" said:I'm very intrigued by ele, but never really invested into one. Where could I learn all those rotations and blasting from? :)I was never fond of engineer tho, but it bothers me that I don't own a meduim armor class. Holo looking nice tho...

Been playing mesmer for years, but the spot it is in, I don't really wan't to play too much with him. It's my main tho.Thief is imo same as mesmer, decaping and only +1. Its fine and I've been doing it always. But I want some high risk/High reward. To potentially outplay oponent. Is revenant it? :pensive:Just made HFB for fractals and it's fun. I could try it in pvp too I guess. Which build would you recomment. I do like to support. But i'm more intrigued by winning 1v1 and 2v2 etc. at the moment, as I never focused on this before.

If you're interested in learning Ele, I highly reccomend checking out
He's one of the best weavers out there, and he's got several in depth guides posted

Here is a
by Kahsua that does a good job of explaining your Bread n butter combos.

has a few guides on his channel, including builds for Weaver, Tempest, and Support Firebrand. Check out his recent how to support video for a Firebrand build you can try out.

Or if you don't mind off meta builds. I can also give you my Sage firebrand build with a quick rundown of why it takes the traits it does ect.

Thanks. You can share :)

@Shao.7236 said:

Finally Jaunt exists.

At release till it was patched Mirage Cloak was a full second (or even 1.25 but I'm being fair giving it 1 second instead) compared the 3/4 of regular uptime and fixing that still wasn't enough (Imagine my shock that evading at anytime isn't broken enough already, just dodge every following burst.) but who's gonna admit it anyway.

Daredevil with endurance alone surpass both yet with 3 bars barely beating Mirage by 0.25, but having Mirage Cloak usable at any time twice is really easy to recover from anything in the entire game, forget exhaustion unless you're going to count it on Daredevil as well.

Put weapons into the mix not counting utility or invulnerables, Daredevil uptime can't get more than 3.75 back to back with weapon evade spam, you'd think Weaver won with 4.25 yet Mirage can go up to 4.5 (1+1+1.75+0.75) because people loved to abuse that sword evade bloated in uptime (and mobility) while benching Axes of Symmetry for damage, which is also still strong today in Hybrid Damage but that's something else no one will admit to regardless.

Want to add utility, traits and invulnerabilites? Don't forget /optional/ Mirrors that can be spawned alongside 3 extra seconds of invulnerability that will easily break any sustain uptime from all utility people can toss (outside of stealth spam), not forgetting Jaunt and Blinds.

Definitely not above Mirage, of course you can still connect everything else again under the latter as CD's go down but you see, this is all part of Mirage gameplay whether you play offensively or defensively, Weaver or Daredevil don't get all of this while being able to dodge "anytime", maybe just Primordial Stance or Steal at best.

Have me go GS/Sword+Torch and abuse that overpowered design instead then complain balance nerfs to my profession because I can't be super powerful and untouchable at the same time.

Implying that this was okay also implies that Revenant was fine with a stunbreak every 10 seconds that could follow with evade spam or that Spellbreaker evade spam was also okay. They weren't at all and funnily enough did not match Mirage superior Cloak uptime.

Weaver actually sits barely above the food chain in terms of evade now and that's the only viable part of Elementalist, core is extremely weak with all the high cooldowns as Weaver get the best utility and Tempest is either a easy glassy kill or a aurabot. Should you know who really has it worst right now, definitely not Mesmer or Mirage even at one dodge.

You seem to have something against mesmer or specifically mirage :DOnly mesmers I see here and there are power shatter builds so far. And if cought out of breath its deadly indeed...

@Weerus.3701 said:

Finally Jaunt exists.

You seem to have something against mesmer or specifically mirage :DOnly mesmers I see here and there are power shatter builds so far. And if cought out of breath its deadly indeed...

I had something against Mirages being in complete denial that they were broken and impossible to kill at PoF release, as they literally were from the overpowered design of Mirage Cloak.

@"Virdo.1540" said:Power renegade.

it provides high reward with an incredibly low skill ceiling ,but can still be mastered for even more reward

Yeah, I'm still astonished that Renegade made a break in the Conquest scene. For years it was the trouble child of all the classes—people held faith that the class design was simply not made for PvP. However people in the EU scene kept trying to wake it up on streams, I remember asking Frostball why he was running Power Renegade probably last year or two years ago and acted as if it was a completely normal build. In NA everyone trashed it, including my skilled Revenant friends. It's just so surreal to see it in the "Meta" category on Metabattle, or taken to monthlies. WOW.

@"LolLookAtMyAP.8394" said:

@"Virdo.1540" said:Power renegade.

it provides high reward with an incredibly low skill ceiling ,but can still be mastered for even more reward

Yeah, I'm still astonished that Renegade made a break in the Conquest scene. For years it was the trouble child of all the classes—people held faith that the class design was simply not made for PvP. However people in the EU scene kept trying to wake it up on streams, I remember asking Frostball why he was running Power Renegade probably last year or two years ago and acted as if it was a completely normal build. In NA everyone trashed it, including my skilled Revenant friends. It's just so surreal to see it in the "Meta" category on Metabattle, or taken to monthlies. WOW.

Renegade was garbage before the overall damage nerf of February 2020, because the bow was terribad (no defenses, no mobility, mediocre damage) and lacked both sustain and any way to deal serious pressure. Then two magical things happened: the nerf in damage (and specially in skills with cc) made much easier to survive with this spec, so sustain was no longer a problem. Then Sevenshot was buffed from almost useless to really strong.

Currently is the build I'm enjoying the most: has finally a usable ranged weapon with a serious punch, tons of mobility, tons of sustain, good cleanses, stability on demand and nice team support. Is everything I would like to have on a... Ranger. And you don't even need to run the pesky Kalla summons! Is not good in 2 vs 2, has a pass in 3 vs 3 but is strong at Conquest and you can run the same build at roaming in WvW (replacing Demolisher with a mix of Cavalier and Assassin) and even works well in PvE. What to not love? Only the fact that was utter rubbish for two and half years...

Yesterday I tried thief, and maan I loved all the mobility, got kinda carried away with +1 and didnt always run for capping far :DThen I tried guardian. Holy Fook! They melt ppl within seconds, I was total newb and ppl were melting, dps that came from burning is insane. Now please someone explain it to me. Am I a natural with guardian, or is it seriously waaay tooo overdue for nerf? If its the first one, I dont see myself playing anything else because I finally feel like I'm impacting the game :O

@Weerus.3701 said:Yesterday I tried thief, and maan I loved all the mobility, got kinda carried away with +1 and didnt always run for capping far :DThen I tried guardian. Holy Fook! They melt ppl within seconds, I was total newb and ppl were melting, dps that came from burning is insane. Now please someone explain it to me. Am I a natural with guardian, or is it seriously waaay tooo overdue for nerf? If its the first one, I dont see myself playing anything else because I finally feel like I'm impacting the game :O

Burn guard is a newbie stomper of the highest caliber. Combine that with your MMR, and you get just-as-expected results.

@NorthernRedStar.3054 said:

@Weerus.3701 said:Yesterday I tried thief, and maan I loved all the mobility, got kinda carried away with +1 and didnt always run for capping far :DThen I tried guardian. Holy Fook! They melt ppl within seconds, I was total newb and ppl were melting, dps that came from burning is insane. Now please someone explain it to me. Am I a natural with guardian, or is it seriously waaay tooo overdue for nerf? If its the first one, I dont see myself playing anything else because I finally feel like I'm impacting the game :O

Burn guard is a newbie stomper of the highest caliber. Combine that with your MMR, and you get just-as-expected results.

Would you suggest melting people to gold or even platinum tier? And then focusing on other class? I mean hell, nothing comes close to dh burn...