How do you enjoy this game? Because I'm not, and I'd like top

Troilet.9435

Fighting feels like your just managing the amount of time you're getting stunned and knocked down. I die constantly because I'm always on the ground, or stunned. I'm really trying to like this game, but it's brutally unfun right now.... Is there a trick to not being perpetually knocked down and stunned?

• Like 2

If you're playing PvE which area/s of the game are you in? I only have that problem fighting jacandara (or whatever they're called) in PoF maps and certain mobs in Hot. In the base game maps stun, knockdown ect effects are relatively rare.

So if this is PvE my first suggestion would be to try going to a different area and see how you get on.

It might also be worth looking for traits which can mitigate the effects of those conditions. The specific options depend on your profession (and level) , but I think they all have some options.

Yep this game chases away tons of new comers because of the abusive CC mechanics and ridiculous amount of one shotting that goes on. There is way too much damage going back and forth between mobs and players and it completely destroys the entire defensive side of the equation, which dumbs down the game dramatically. The only thing that really matters is active defenses and dodging. Which comes off as gimicky. Either you get with it and stack only offensive stats and try to burn enemies to the ground before they do this stuff or you find another game. Its a huge problem with this game. All of this stuff makes the game very shallow and eliminates most stat combinations and many build configurations as a result. A lot of wasted time ands effort went into designing things that will never be used.

Stuns and Knockdowns can be removed with a Sunbreak skill or prevented entirely by the Stability Boon.In your utilities skills you should have a couple stun breaks available to choose from.

All the ways each class can get Stability: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/StabilityAll the Sunbreak skills/traits: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Stun_break

@Strider Pj.2193 said:How many new areas have stuns and CC locks? I mean, level 1-15 areas?

Open world should have none unless you are dealing with one of the bandit bosses. Mob skills that normally applies CC or conditions often don't at those levels even if mob's description says it does.

On the other hand at least one of the human story line has some big offenders of CC

@Cromx.3941 said:Yep this game chases away tons of new comers because of the abusive CC mechanics and ridiculous amount of one shotting that goes on. There is way too much damage going back and forth between mobs and players and it completely destroys the entire defensive side of the equation, which dumbs down the game dramatically. The only thing that really matters is active defenses and dodging. Which comes off as gimicky. Either you get with it and stack only offensive stats and try to burn enemies to the ground before they do this stuff or you find another game. Its a huge problem with this game. All of this stuff makes the game very shallow and eliminates most stat combinations and many build configurations as a result. A lot of wasted time ands effort went into designing things that will never be used.

That's not really the case. You can load up on defense and have no issues or you can skimp and rely on active defense. The consequences of either choice depend on a variety of factors, the most important of which is game mode.

Assuming we're talking solo open world you have plenty of freedom. If active defenses aren't working out you can sacrifice damage to add defenses. The timers on events, story, HP champs are mostly quite reasonable and will allow for success even for tanky healer builds.

Another popular option for solo play is to run a condi build, which allows you to go tanky without giving up a ton of damage.

@AliamRationem.5172 said:

@"Cromx.3941" said:Yep this game chases away tons of new comers because of the abusive CC mechanics and ridiculous amount of one shotting that goes on. There is way too much damage going back and forth between mobs and players and it completely destroys the entire defensive side of the equation, which dumbs down the game dramatically. The only thing that really matters is active defenses and dodging. Which comes off as gimicky. Either you get with it and stack only offensive stats and try to burn enemies to the ground before they do this stuff or you find another game. Its a huge problem with this game. All of this stuff makes the game very shallow and eliminates most stat combinations and many build configurations as a result. A lot of wasted time ands effort went into designing things that will never be used.

That's not really the case. You can load up on defense and have no issues or you can skimp and rely on active defense. The consequences of either choice depend on a variety of factors, the most important of which is game mode.

Assuming we're talking solo open world you have plenty of freedom. If active defenses aren't working out you can sacrifice damage to add defenses. The timers on events, story, HP champs are mostly quite reasonable and will allow for success even for tanky healer builds.

Another popular option for solo play is to run a condi build, which allows you to go tanky without giving up a ton of damage.

Indeed, and you don't need anything expensive - Dire stats are probably one of the most beginner-friendly stat lines. Carrion is a little less so, since trading toughness for power feels like a waste on most condi builds. Of course, there are Hizen's "defensive stats turn into offensive stats" builds as well. With the addition of barrier mechanics to a number of classes, it's actually more possible now than ever before to actually tank significant hits from PvE mobs.

Also, it sounds like @Troilet.9435 is in sPvP, or took an 80 boost to PoF and is getting ragdolled by some Awakened.

@Cromx.3941 said:Yep this game chases away tons of new comers because of the abusive CC mechanics and ridiculous amount of one shotting that goes on. There is way too much damage going back and forth between mobs and players and it completely destroys the entire defensive side of the equation, which dumbs down the game dramatically. The only thing that really matters is active defenses and dodging. Which comes off as gimicky. Either you get with it and stack only offensive stats and try to burn enemies to the ground before they do this stuff or you find another game. Its a huge problem with this game. All of this stuff makes the game very shallow and eliminates most stat combinations and many build configurations as a result. A lot of wasted time ands effort went into designing things that will never be used.

This x a lot.

I can appreciate the skill ceiling for the game, but many enemies in the game have offense that exceeds the players' tools to mitigate them. We're expected to somehow carry multiple stunbreaks (which easily get chewed through), stability/blocks/aegis not available to all classes, and still have stats and skills lined up for might/fury/quickness/alacrity lined up for damage.

@Rauderi.8706 said:

This x a lot.

I can appreciate the skill ceiling for the game, but many enemies in the game have offense that exceeds the players' tools to mitigate them. We're expected to somehow carry multiple stunbreaks (which easily get chewed through), stability/blocks/aegis not available to all classes, and still have stats and skills lined up for might/fury/quickness/alacrity lined up for damage.

No your expected to side step alot of those stuns.

I understand you. The overuse of knockdowns and stuns is a weakness of this game. I understand that due to dodging being so much easier to do here than in traditional mmorpgs you have to compensate somehow, but I'd rather see more individual strengths in enemies and have a little less knockdown for a little more raw power.

That said, it all comes down to knowing the enemy and yourself. You will stop getting slapped aroun once you get better at the game. That's a bum deal, I know, but the first part ís always the hardest.

@Oxstar.7643 said:You say this. And yet, there are people who can solo legendary world bosses because they have mastered their skills and know their enemy. There is an undeniable level of skill. But I agree it can get spammy as well.

nah, they just run broken meta classes.I solo'd some myself and the hardest part was: not falling asleep during.Most times you don't even need to bother with ''mechanics'' just LoS and walk around AoE'sbut If you get caught, because you ran out of stamina and CD's, it's like I said.

I kinda agree, there's too much CC being applied to the player, and your CC often does nothing to even some trash mobs (because they have that locked stun bar all the time). Another annoying thing is that if you get knocked down, it usually lasts for 5-10 seconds. I've never seen this kind of "effect" in simmilar games, at least not for so long. This is either an oversight or a bad idea because it only takes 5 seconds for mobs to kill you when you're not dodging so idk what that's about. What's worse, most of the enemy CC is instant and can't be defended against. You can only stunbreak when you're stunned but there's nothing against being knocked on the ground as far as i know. So once you're insta kncocked down, you're dead.

One example of bad design is 2 parts of the Skyscale collection for example. One has you fighting an obscure Champion event that is extremely hard to get to due to it being in the edge of the map with all the branded enemies, weird terrain and a labyrinthine layout - which is why people don't do the event, that event is dead. Yet you have to do it for your skyscale. The problem? I waited there for about 30 minutes with a mentor tag for someone to show up, only for someone to actually show up, start the boss and log off. So i thought, fine i'll try to solo it. The other problem? It's dirt easy, you just strafe around the 3 hour telegraphed attacks and wittle down his health. Was fighting him alone for 30 minutes and got around 30% of his health down. Do you see the problem about having to do a required event with a meatshield boring bossfight for two hours? And my damage isn't that bad at all, the boss is just that tanky and doesn't scale. Thankfully some people showed up and helped after a while.

Another one, I was doing the Skyscale collection "Skyscale flight" and one of the rifts is in the middle of a harpy grounds thingy near the Skimmer ranch. I thought, i'll just fly in there and hover near the rift. Yeah right... Was instantly shot down by 5 harpies and killed because of perma CC and i couldn't get up. That's not really supposed to happen, i think that's some bad design getting permanently CCd without being able to do anything. That's not fun, nor is it skillful. I finally managed to kill them one by one, then went to the Skyscale spot and got the rift. So it is on ohe hand - tactful. You need tactics in that case, you can't rely on your skills because of the CC so you need to think ahead in that particular instance.

So you do get the tools to fight the mobs and you get mobs to even bypass most fights. But some fights are so hilariously badly done that i can't help but think they're oversights. And it's true, a lot of high level content relies on CC spam you can't be ready for, nor can you mitigate all of it. Level 80 maps are supposed to be hard to deal with. That's why you have mounts so you can skip the CC mobs, Crystal Champion masteries to avoid being dismounted etc. But i do agree they should tone down the CC a bit. I hate harpies with a passion now. But those CC heavy areas are kind of rare in the grand scheme of things so i don't really think it's THAT much of a problem.

EDIT: I just want to point out that i'm an Assassin's build Mesmer and even i can tank most of the hits in high level maps. And the amount of times that i actually can't and get perma CCd is very few and far between. So far i know which mobs do that and i approach them differently so that problem kinda fixes itself. I still think it's an oversight that shouldn't happen, but you CAN deal with it.

@Berryblossom.8921 said:

@Oxstar.7643 said:You say this. And yet, there are people who can solo legendary world bosses because they have mastered their skills and know their enemy. There is an undeniable level of skill. But I agree it can get spammy as well.

nah, they just run broken meta classes.I solo'd some myself and the hardest part was: not falling asleep during.Most times you don't even need to bother with ''mechanics'' just LoS and walk around AoE'sbut If you get caught, because you ran out of stamina and CD's, it's like I said.

Is engineer meta? Coz they do it too. (It was burning)

@"Veprovina.4876" said:I kinda agree, there's too much CC being applied to the player, and your CC often does nothing to even some trash mobs (because they have that locked stun bar all the time). Another annoying thing is that if you get knocked down, it usually lasts for 5-10 seconds. I've never seen this kind of "effect" in simmilar games, at least not for so long. This is either an oversight or a bad idea because it only takes 5 seconds for mobs to kill you when you're not dodging so idk what that's about. What's worse, most of the enemy CC is instant and can't be defended against. You can only stunbreak when you're stunned but there's nothing against being knocked on the ground as far as i know. So once you're insta kncocked down, you're dead.

One example of bad design is 2 parts of the Skyscale collection for example. One has you fighting an obscure Champion event that is extremely hard to get to due to it being in the edge of the map with all the branded enemies, weird terrain and a labyrinthine layout - which is why people don't do the event, that event is dead. Yet you have to do it for your skyscale. The problem? I waited there for about 30 minutes with a mentor tag for someone to show up, only for someone to actually show up, start the boss and log off. So i thought, fine i'll try to solo it. The other problem? It's dirt easy, you just strafe around the 3 hour telegraphed attacks and wittle down his health. Was fighting him alone for 30 minutes and got around 30% of his health down. Do you see the problem about having to do a required event with a meatshield boring bossfight for two hours? And my damage isn't that bad at all, the boss is just that tanky and doesn't scale. Thankfully some people showed up and helped after a while.

Another one, I was doing the Skyscale collection "Skyscale flight" and one of the rifts is in the middle of a harpy grounds thingy near the Skimmer ranch. I thought, i'll just fly in there and hover near the rift. Yeah right... Was instantly shot down by 5 harpies and killed because of perma CC and i couldn't get up. That's not really supposed to happen, i think that's some bad design getting permanently CCd without being able to do anything. That's not fun, nor is it skillful. I finally managed to kill them one by one, then went to the Skyscale spot and got the rift. So it is on ohe hand - tactful. You need tactics in that case, you can't rely on your skills because of the CC so you need to think ahead in that particular instance.

So you do get the tools to fight the mobs and you get mobs to even bypass most fights. But some fights are so hilariously badly done that i can't help but think they're oversights. And it's true, a lot of high level content relies on CC spam you can't be ready for, nor can you mitigate all of it. Level 80 maps are supposed to be hard to deal with. That's why you have mounts so you can skip the CC mobs, Crystal Champion masteries to avoid being dismounted etc. But i do agree they should tone down the CC a bit. I hate harpies with a passion now. But those CC heavy areas are kind of rare in the grand scheme of things so i don't really think it's THAT much of a problem.

EDIT: I just want to point out that i'm an Assassin's build Mesmer and even i can tank most of the hits in high level maps. And the amount of times that i actually can't and get perma CCd is very few and far between. So far i know which mobs do that and i approach them differently so that problem kinda fixes itself. I still think it's an oversight that shouldn't happen, but you CAN deal with it.

Knockdown can be canceled with any Stun Break

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Stun_break

This game tries to balance offensive and defensive skills and traits among the classes in various ways. You can avoid all defensive traits but, it is to your advantage to use the tools you have available to you to overcome the areas your profession and player skills fall short.

@Mungo Zen.9364 said:

@"Veprovina.4876" said:I kinda agree, there's too much CC being applied to the player, and your CC often does nothing to even some trash mobs (because they have that locked stun bar all the time). Another annoying thing is that if you get knocked down, it usually lasts for 5-10 seconds. I've never seen this kind of "effect" in simmilar games, at least not for so long. This is either an oversight or a bad idea because it only takes 5 seconds for mobs to kill you when you're not dodging so idk what that's about. What's worse, most of the enemy CC is instant and can't be defended against. You can only stunbreak when you're stunned but there's nothing against being knocked on the ground as far as i know. So once you're insta kncocked down, you're dead.

Knockdown can be canceled with any Stun Break

This game tries to balance offensive and defensive skills and traits among the classes in various ways. You can avoid all defensive traits but, it is to your advantage to use the tools you have available to you to overcome the areas your profession and player skills fall short.

Doesn't work for me for some reason... All my skills go on cooldown, including utility and elites. I don't see how i can "stunbreak" out of that one...

The second part was i assume not directed at me?

@"Veprovina.4876" said:You can only stunbreak when you're stunned but there's nothing against being knocked on the ground as far as i know. So once you're insta kncocked down, you're dead.

This is very, very wrong. Any stunbreak recovers from knockdown/stun/daze, basically any condition that is indicated bu the purple debuff icon and lays your character out on the ground. The whole list of things that stunbreak solves is at the wiki page here.

I'm not sure at this point if we need to look at the game's design, or individual players, when it comes to figuring out how so many people can make it so far into the game without learning important information like this. For me, stun breaks are among the first abilities I make sure to hotkey on every class for every game I play, and I very quickly found out that abilities marked as stun breaks got rid of all hard cc's. This also taught me the utility of soft cc's like cripple, chill, and immobilize - I knew that I could throw those at targets in pvp who were using stability and stunbreaks, and find ways to pin them down regardless.

EDIT: oops had this page open for too long, didn't see that someone basically made the same response already.