Should traits be expanded?

Tseison.4659

[Other]

I don't think we need powercreep or just "more", as much as we need better/more interesting choices.Way too many Traits are either complete duds, extreme niche cases or bland.

The Trait system (and their selectable amount) itself imo is mostly fine, those choices just need a major overhaul and balancing pass."This is the PvE Trait, this the PvP Trait and this is the useless Trait no one ever takes" for each line, isn't really a choice.Neither are do 10% more damage interesting choices, nor are a majority of "Grandmaster" or line Capstones at all interesting or build defining.

If I were to redesign the Trait system though, I would get rid of Minor Traits, as well as the concept of Adept and Master Traits, since they have long lost meaning anyway (both design wise, since we don't put points into Trait lines anymore, not making reaching higher tiers in a line an opportunity cost anymore, as well as many Minors or Adepts vastly outperforming Masters or even Grandmasters.

Instead each Trait line could have 4 slots, in which one can freely slot any Traits of that line in any order, and then a capstone slot at the end, replacing the Grandmaster idea, in which a limited choice of major build/gameplay/visual defining Traits can be slotted, really defining that Traitline via altering a core aspect of the profession in an impactful way.

So let's say each Trait line has 12+ "minor" Traits associated with it (out of reworked/balanced current minors, adepts, masters and most Grandmasters), 4 of which can be slotted in, and then at the end a choice of one of ~3 Major effects, affecting moment to moment gameplay, visual effects and feel of the build (a good example that I've repeatedly used for this are the Daredevil Dodges, or especially something like Writ of Persistence, which changes Symbols, a core mechanic of Guardian, via gameplay (making them bigger), functionality (adding duration and healing) as well as being visually represented ingame as choice to the player and those around, giving it an identity).

No more bland but (for PvE at least) must pick do 10% more damage or gain 120 Power/Ferocity, especially not as "Grandmasters".

TL;DR:We need more interesting and meaningful choices at the current scale, not just more bland no brainers added on top.

Just from my experience with reaper, firebrand (condi/hybrid), and weaver they would be far too strong. Reaper would be able to take spite, blood, SR and reaper which is sustain (not as good without well trait) on top of beeg damage. Weaver yould be able to take fire, weaver, Arcane and any of the other 3 for bigger damage or sustain (and hybrid fire weaver needs neither of those things). Lastly, Imagine the standard burn guard, with all of the added bonuses that firebrand gives, like axe, quickness etc.

@jpsssss.7530 said:Just from my experience with reaper, firebrand (condi/hybrid), and weaver they would be far too strong. Reaper would be able to take spite, blood, SR and reaper which is sustain (not as good without well trait) on top of beeg damage. Weaver yould be able to take fire, weaver, Arcane and any of the other 3 for bigger damage or sustain (and hybrid fire weaver needs neither of those things). Lastly, Imagine the standard burn guard, with all of the added bonuses that firebrand gives, like axe, quickness etc.

Oh of course it would be strong but as I stated and I'm sure Anet aren't naive, they'd definitely have to adjust/balance existing traits so builds aren't too strong...

Currently we have 30 combinations of Specializations per Profession with the 3 spec system. That is 10 with Core only, plus 10 per Elite Spec. Another way of considering it is 30 combinations of Minor Traits to select from.

Each individual Specialization offers 27 different combinations of Traits. This gives you 81 possible Trait combinations within the 3 chosen Specializations for a given build. 81 combinations of Traits for each of the 30 combinations of Specializations. Overall, 2430 different combinations per Profession.

While individually there are only 21 Minor and 63 Major traits for any given profession, its the number of combinations available that I think are worth noting. While adding more Traits or Specs to this system would provide more options, we already have a lot of options.

While I am neutral on whether a change like this would be 'good or bad' I am very aware that currently this is one of the more complex/option filled systems for building a character in an MMO, and we haven't included armor types, weapon choices or runes and sigils.

Do players think we need more options than we currently have, or do we need better options (or even less) to help tighten up what we already have?

@"Stand The Wall.6987" said:same 3 trait line limit, but more choices in each section. 3 is kitten.

Yes, but also kind of pointless while we pretty much have "placeholder traits" for a year now. Fix first, add later. Or fix and add at the same time. Don't just add and leave placeholders or I'll cry.

@Fueki.4753 said:

@Tseison.4659 said:Oh of course it would be strong but as I stated and I'm sure Anet aren't naive, they'd definitely have to adjust/balance existing traits so builds aren't too strong...

They can't even handle balancing what already is possible and you expect them to balance something with even more options?

True.

• Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...