Can you die in guild wars?

MAtisJR.8935

@"MAtisJR.8935" said:Like as far as i know when you die you have to go to a wp which costs a bit of coins. And what happens if you dont have any coins I know that is literally never going to happen but still. If anybody knows please answer Im curious

You can port to the nearest waypoint for free whenever you are downed and out of money.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Waypoint and scroll down

I can confirm that the cost for the nearest waypoint is reduced to what you have, even if that's nothing. But it is only the nearest one, further ones cost the full fee.

I've actually gotten back down to literally nothing in my wallet twice since starting. Both times it was mostly due to buying large volumes of materials from the TP. Once just by coincidence I was able to spend exactly what I had down to the last copper on a buy order. Another time I had a tiny bit left and for some reason decided it would be a good idea to go to Dry Top (which at the time was still very active) to get more gold. I waypointed in during the sandstorm, got killed and the reduced waypoint cost used up the last bit of my money, then got killed again and got to use it for free.

After that though we killed the champion dust mite twister and I managed to survive a couple more battles and ended up with some coin and an inventory full of stuff to sell. Admittedly I could have just sold some materials i already had in the bank, but since I was in the middle of a big crafting project I didn't want to do that. (What I should have done was just headed into the nearest map and gathered whatever was growing there to sell, but I think at the time a champion train seemed like a better idea.)

@kharmin.7683 said:

@phokus.8934 said:If you die in Guild Wars, you die in real life.

Yeah, that's not true. I've died a LOT in GW2 and I'm still here.

Are you sure? Or is this some form of an afterlife for you?

Did you take the red pill?

@Danikat.8537 said:I can confirm that the cost for the nearest waypoint is reduced to what you have, even if that's nothing. But it is only the nearest one, further ones cost the full fee.

I've actually gotten back down to literally nothing in my wallet twice since starting. Both times it was mostly due to buying large volumes of materials from the TP. Once just by coincidence I was able to spend exactly what I had down to the last copper on a buy order. Another time I had a tiny bit left and for some reason decided it would be a good idea to go to Dry Top (which at the time was still very active) to get more gold. I waypointed in during the sandstorm, got killed and the reduced waypoint cost used up the last bit of my money, then got killed again and got to use it for free.

After that though we killed the champion dust mite twister and I managed to survive a couple more battles and ended up with some coin and an inventory full of stuff to sell. Admittedly I could have just sold some materials i already had in the bank, but since I was in the middle of a big crafting project I didn't want to do that. (What I should have done was just headed into the nearest map and gathered whatever was growing there to sell, but I think at the time a champion train seemed like a better idea.)

That’s some good stuff Dani. I never realized that. I have been so fearful of spending my last copper, not because I didn’t think I could revive, but because it took me sooooo long in game to get to having more than a gold.... (yeah, I just didn’t get the whole selling stuff on the TP for months......)

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@Naxos.2503 said:Sometime, you die more than usual. In those cases, you even get to visit the afterworld ! Which is strangely human themed for some reason.Considering that the underworld is a domain of one of the
human
gods, that's not surprising at all.

From that point of view yes, but what happens to Charrs/Asuras/Sylvaris/Norns ? I wonder if lore wise something crop up for them.

I suppose that's beside the point when you consider The Mists, we can even enter those while alive !

To go back to OP's original question, I dont think anyone ever died while not having a single copper actually.. Was that documented in the old forums ?

@Naxos.2503 said:

@Naxos.2503 said:Sometime, you die more than usual. In those cases, you even get to visit the afterworld ! Which is strangely human themed for some reason.Considering that the underworld is a domain of one of the
human

From that point of view yes, but what happens to Charrs/Asuras/Sylvaris/Norns ? I wonder if lore wise something crop up for them.Dwarves, if i remember, before the Rite were ending up as part of the Great Dwarf (i don't know how it works now), and Sylvari supposedly return to the Dream. Some other races might have their own life/death cycle as well. Most though just end up as parts of the Mists directly. And sometimes there are some special arrangements - for example, we do know that at least some of the Charr ended up in the Realm of Torment, due to the Flame Legion essentially signing up under Abaddon.

@Naxos.2503 said:

human

From that point of view yes, but what happens to Charrs/Asuras/Sylvaris/Norns ? I wonder if lore wise something crop up for them.

I suppose that's beside the point when you consider The Mists, we can even enter those while alive !

To go back to OP's original question, I dont think anyone ever died while not having a single copper actually.. Was that documented in the old forums ?

It happened to me a year ago when I bought some vendor items and didn't check how much gold I would have left. Didn't have two coppers to rub together, let alone a silver or two for waypoints.

Worst thing was, it was on my f2p NA account, so I couldn't visit the mists and had to create a 2nd character to get the coppers to waypoint.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

human

From that point of view yes, but what happens to Charrs/Asuras/Sylvaris/Norns ? I wonder if lore wise something crop up for them.Dwarves, if i remember, before the Rite were ending up as part of the Great Dwarf (i don't know how it works now), and Sylvari supposedly return to the Dream. Some other races might have their own life/death cycle as well. Most though just end up as parts of the Mists directly. And sometimes there are some special arrangements - for example, we do know that at least some of the Charr ended up in the Realm of Torment, due to the Flame Legion essentially signing up under Abaddon.

So, there was the mist, and it was the after life (in some way) until the human gods came, invaded and twisted it for their purpose? Well, it's fitting for human gods, and fitting for all the other invading humans and their gods did.

I wonder if the human gods were like the elder dragons of their world, until they decided that they want it all. "Rescue" their slave race who they mutated from some apes with magic to look like them, or changed their own appearance to fool the gullible and took off, Or if some humans figured out how to absorb magic, stole it all and doomed their planet, and "rescued" their lesser brethren as servitors who can worship the ground they walk on.

@"Yggranya.5201" said:So, there was the mist, and it was the after life (in some way) until the human gods came, invaded and twisted it for their purpose?Well, depends if it's GW1 or GW2. In GW1 "human" gods created Tyria, so there wasn't really anything before them in here. And they weren't even human gods in the first place - they only "imported" humans from some other place after their previous servitor race (the Forgotten) started dying out.

In GW2 lore version, human gods came into Tyria later. It's probably then when they created their own domains in the Mists near Tyria as well - and then used those domains for the souls of their human followers. And, while indeed the "base" for the soul recycling seems to be the Mists, and Underworld (and other god domains) seem to be a modification, made for humans only, it's not like humans (and human gods) are the only ones that tinkered with it. As i pointed out, both Dwarves (that, whether in GW1 or GW2, were there before humans) and Sylvari have their own life/death cycle that is separate from mists, and completely independent from human gods. Tengu have something they call "the Sky Above the Sky", but it's as of yet unknown if it's a place as real as Underworld is, or just some philosophical/metaphysical concept. It's entirely possible there are/were other such systems, and we just haven't heard about them yet.

I wonder if the human gods were like the elder dragons of their world, until they decided that they want it all. "Rescue" their slave race who they mutated from some apes with magic to look like them, or changed their own appearance to fool the gullible and took off, Or if some humans figured out how to absorb magic, stole it all and doomed their planet, and "rescued" their lesser brethren as servitors who can worship the ground they walk on.As i said, that depends on whether you are operating on GW1 or GW2 lore. In GW1 version, gods pulled humans from some other world (and no, we don't know how voluntary that was for those humans "invited" in, although some info about Dwayna suggests she intended for Tyria to be a place of a peaceful refuge. WHich is almost certainly not what Balthazar intended, though). In GW2 there's no explanation given at all, but considering how the things we've heard from Kormir in PoF inform us about gods' personalities, it's entirely probable they were escaping some catastrophe (but one that was probably not so potentially immediate than the one with elder dragons here, since they had the time to take at least some of their followers then).

As far as the original appearance of the gods, it's hard to say... but i'd say that it is telling that the two oldest cases (Melandru and Dwayna) are always depicted with wings, while the younger gods (we don't know much about the origin of Lyss and Illia, but we do know they are younger, just as we know that Grenth, Balthazar and Abaddon are replacements for older deities) are not.