How do you enjoy this game? Because I'm not, and I'd like top

Troilet.9435

@voltaicbore.8012 said:

@"Veprovina.4876" said:You can only stunbreak when you're stunned but there's nothing against being knocked on the ground as far as i know. So once you're insta kncocked down, you're dead.

This is very, very wrong. Any stunbreak recovers from knockdown/stun/daze, basically any condition that is indicated bu the purple debuff icon and lays your character out on the ground. The whole list of things that stunbreak solves is at the wiki page

I'm not sure at this point if we need to look at the game's design, or individual players, when it comes to figuring out how so many people can make it so far into the game without learning important information like this. For me, stun breaks are among the first abilities I make sure to hotkey on every class for every game I play, and I very quickly found out that abilities marked as stun breaks got rid of all hard cc's. This also taught me the utility of soft cc's like cripple, chill, and immobilize - I knew that I could throw those at targets in pvp who were using stability and stunbreaks, and find ways to pin them down regardless.

EDIT: oops had this page open for too long, didn't see that someone basically made the same response already.

Then let me repeat myself. If all my skills go on cooldown, what do i use then? Doesn't happen with "normal" stuns, but some enemy abilities knock me on the ground, all my skills 1-0 get on a 5 second cooldown so how am i supposed to "use a stunbreak" then?

I know what sutns are, i use them every day in WvW, and i know how to get out of them.But you can't get out of some stuns and CC effects. Especially if they don't have a tell like some mobs do.

Besides, i don't know why you're all arguing with me, if you read my post (thouruogly this time), you'll see that i have no problem with this. don't just read the first thing i said and have a kneejerk reaction, read and understand the whole post.

@Veprovina.4876 said:

@Veprovina.4876 said:I kinda agree, there's too much CC being applied to the player, and your CC often does nothing to even some trash mobs (because they have that locked stun bar all the time). Another annoying thing is that if you get knocked down, it usually lasts for 5-10 seconds. I've never seen this kind of "effect" in simmilar games, at least not for so long. This is either an oversight or a bad idea because it only takes 5 seconds for mobs to kill you when you're not dodging so idk what that's about. What's worse, most of the enemy CC is instant and can't be defended against. You can only stunbreak when you're stunned but there's nothing against being knocked on the ground as far as i know. So once you're insta kncocked down, you're dead.

One example of bad design is 2 parts of the Skyscale collection for example. One has you fighting an obscure Champion event that is extremely hard to get to due to it being in the edge of the map with all the branded enemies, weird terrain and a labyrinthine layout - which is why people don't do the event, that event is dead. Yet you have to do it for your skyscale. The problem? I waited there for about 30 minutes with a mentor tag for someone to show up, only for someone to actually show up, start the boss and log off. So i thought, fine i'll try to solo it. The other problem? It's dirt easy, you just strafe around the 3 hour telegraphed attacks and wittle down his health. Was fighting him alone for 30 minutes and got around 30% of his health down. Do you see the problem about having to do a required event with a meatshield boring bossfight for two hours? And my damage isn't that bad at all, the boss is just that tanky and doesn't scale. Thankfully some people showed up and helped after a while.

Another one, I was doing the Skyscale collection "Skyscale flight" and one of the rifts is in the middle of a harpy grounds thingy near the Skimmer ranch. I thought, i'll just fly in there and hover near the rift. Yeah right... Was instantly shot down by 5 harpies and killed because of perma CC and i couldn't get up. That's not really supposed to happen, i think that's some bad design getting permanently CCd without being able to do anything. That's not fun, nor is it skillful. I finally managed to kill them one by one, then went to the Skyscale spot and got the rift. So it is on ohe hand - tactful. You need tactics in that case, you can't rely on your skills because of the CC so you need to think ahead in that particular instance.

So you do get the tools to fight the mobs and you get mobs to even bypass most fights. But some fights are so hilariously badly done that i can't help but think they're oversights. And it's true, a lot of high level content relies on CC spam you can't be ready for, nor can you mitigate all of it. Level 80 maps are supposed to be hard to deal with. That's why you have mounts so you can skip the CC mobs, Crystal Champion masteries to avoid being dismounted etc. But i do agree they should tone down the CC a bit. I hate harpies with a passion now. But those CC heavy areas are kind of rare in the grand scheme of things so i don't really think it's THAT much of a problem.

EDIT: I just want to point out that i'm an Assassin's build Mesmer and even i can tank most of the hits in high level maps. And the amount of times that i actually can't and get perma CCd is very few and far between. So far i know which mobs do that and i approach them differently so that problem kinda fixes itself. I still think it's an oversight that shouldn't happen, but you CAN deal with it.

Knockdown can be canceled with any Stun Break

This game tries to balance offensive and defensive skills and traits among the classes in various ways. You can avoid all defensive traits but, it is to your advantage to use the tools you have available to you to overcome the areas your profession and player skills fall short.

Doesn't work for me for some reason... All my skills go on cooldown, including utility and elites. I don't see how i can "stunbreak" out of that one...

The second part was i assume not directed at me?

The second part is an open comment on the game mechanics in place. Each profession has weaknesses which can be adapted for in build and gameplay. As well, each player has variable skill and can adapt their builds to suit their skill level. I have no shame in using Marauders over Berserker as the extra Vitality helps me with my own deficiencies in being successful playing this game, as an example.

BTW, with the "all skills on cooldown" after being stunned or knocked, try using Mirror Images or Blink on your skill bar and see if they go on CD. Mirror Images is often on my Utility bar and half the reason is the Stun Break.

Another option is to go Restorative Illusions in the Inspiration trait line, which gives your Shatters a condi cleanse that can remove a Stun type effect from you. Shatters should not be affected by Stun effects, you should always be able to pop one off.

@"Veprovina.4876" said:

Besides, i don't know why you're all arguing with me, if you read my post (thouruogly this time), you'll see that i have no problem with this. don't just read the first thing i said and have a kneejerk reaction, read and understand the whole post.

I did read your first post, the rest of it is more stories of "I couldn't get out of these certain cc's". Stunbreaks do not go on cd when you're affected by the stuns listed on the wiki page. If they do, then that's either a UI bug for mesmer I didn't know about, or some UI bug on your end. as @Mungo Zen.9364 suggested above try using one of your stunbreaks anyways. Mesmer response to stuns is among the strongest in the game. Even in old PvE content like dungeons that adds unique ccs like crystallization, mirage's jaunt doesn't break the stun but still moves away into safety outside of the crystal. I'm certain if mesmer for some reason was the only class that couldn't recover from the full list of cc's via stunbreak, there would be a huge outcry.

Out of curiosity and a desire to prove you utterly wrong, I volunteer to help you test stunbreaks against knockdowns. I'd have to reinstall though, so it'll be maybe 20 mins before I can log in if you take me up on the offer.

Beside pvp, I would not call CC prevalent. It exists, but hardly an issue.

@Cromx.3941 said:Yep this game chases away tons of new comers because of the abusive CC mechanics and ridiculous amount of one shotting that goes on. There is way too much damage going back and forth between mobs and players and it completely destroys the entire defensive side of the equation, which dumbs down the game dramatically. The only thing that really matters is active defenses and dodging. Which comes off as gimicky. Either you get with it and stack only offensive stats and try to burn enemies to the ground before they do this stuff or you find another game. Its a huge problem with this game. All of this stuff makes the game very shallow and eliminates most stat combinations and many build configurations as a result. A lot of wasted time ands effort went into designing things that will never be used.

I am not aware of any ARPG, RPG or MMO where you do not go full dps (unless you are playing a healer or a tank). The mobs the deal the least amount of damage are dead ones. Farming efficiency favours high kill speed. In addition, on rare occasion if there is a timer, you need damage to beat it.

It is not a GW2 specific issue. And honestly, if the game becomes hard enough that running full dps is not viable, I doubt majority of players would even be able to play the game.

@Veprovina.4876 said:

@Veprovina.4876 said:You can only stunbreak when you're stunned but there's nothing against being knocked on the ground as far as i know. So once you're insta kncocked down, you're dead.

This is very, very wrong. Any stunbreak recovers from knockdown/stun/daze, basically any condition that is indicated bu the purple debuff icon and lays your character out on the ground. The whole list of things that stunbreak solves is at the wiki page

I'm not sure at this point if we need to look at the game's design, or individual players, when it comes to figuring out how so many people can make it so far into the game without learning important information like this. For me, stun breaks are among the first abilities I make sure to hotkey on every class for every game I play, and I very quickly found out that abilities marked as stun breaks got rid of all hard cc's. This also taught me the utility of soft cc's like cripple, chill, and immobilize - I knew that I could throw those at targets in pvp who were using stability and stunbreaks, and find ways to pin them down regardless.

EDIT: oops had this page open for too long, didn't see that someone basically made the same response already.

Then let me repeat myself. If all my skills go on cooldown, what do i use then? Doesn't happen with "normal" stuns, but some enemy abilities knock me on the ground, all my skills 1-0 get on a 5 second cooldown so how am i supposed to "use a stunbreak" then?

I know what sutns are, i use them every day in WvW, and i know how to get out of them.But you can't get out of some stuns and CC effects. Especially if they don't have a tell like some mobs do.

People aren't "arguing" with you. You've made a false claim about stunbreaks not working on knockdown, so people are correcting you so you don't spread information that's not true.

I would also like to address this part:

@Veprovina.4876 said:So far i know which mobs do that and i approach them differently so that problem kinda fixes itself. I still think it's an oversight that shouldn't happen, but you CAN deal with it.

If you can play around it, then I don't see how that's oversight. Having a need to actually approach certain mobs differently seems like something that's desirable, so the mobs don't feel like just reskins of the same thing with same skills and effects.

• Confused 1

@Sobx.1758 said:

@Veprovina.4876 said:You can only stunbreak when you're stunned but there's nothing against being knocked on the ground as far as i know. So once you're insta kncocked down, you're dead.

People aren't "arguing" with you. You've made a false claim about stunbreaks not working on knockdown, so people are correcting you so you don't spread information that's not true.

@Veprovina.4876 said:So far i know which mobs do that and i approach them differently so that problem kinda fixes itself. I still think it's an oversight that shouldn't happen, but you CAN deal with it.

If you can play around it, then I don't see how that's oversight. Having a need to actually approach certain mobs differently seems like something that's desirable, so the mobs don't feel like just reskins of the same thing with same skills and effects.

I can actually explain this. There is a very small number of enemy skills in the game that completely bypass all stun breaks. These skills, however, are quite rare. The only one I can think of that does this off the top of my head is the Icebrood Trolls in Bitterfrost Frontier. They have an AoE stun that locks you in place for 5 seconds, and it puts stun breaks on cooldown. To extrapolate this to be the norm, however, is incredibly misleading. However I digress.

The OP hasn't provided any further information on what their situation is, and we know that the starter zones are definitely not a CC fest. So either one of two things is happening here:

(1): Troll Post(2): The OP has blundered into and end zone, but knows so little about the game that they can't articulate what is going on or what is happening.

@Blood Red Arachnid.2493 said:

I can actually explain this. There is a very small number of enemy skills in the game that completely bypass all stun breaks. These skills, however, are quite rare. The only one I can think of that does this off the top of my head is the Icebrood Trolls in Bitterfrost Frontier. They have an AoE stun that locks you in place for 5 seconds, and it puts stun breaks on cooldown. To extrapolate this to be the norm, however, is incredibly misleading.

The only other one I can think of is from Honor of the Waves story mode, where the final boss' pet swallows you. That move is a pulsing 3s stun I think, and using stunbreaks doesn't end the stun early. I think you do get any effects attached to the stunbreak (so I think a ranger would get damage reduction for using Dolyak Stance or the barrier from Protect Me), but the stun will simply pulse to completion regardless.

I also agree that to consider unbreakable cc a widespread issue (or at least widespread enough to be a source of meaningful design criticism) is just flawed.

I can actually explain this.
There is a very small number of enemy skills in the game that completely bypass all stun breaks.
These skills, however, are quite rare. The only one I can think of that does this off the top of my head is the Icebrood Trolls in Bitterfrost Frontier. They have an AoE stun that locks you in place for 5 seconds, and it puts stun breaks on cooldown. To extrapolate this to be the norm, however, is incredibly misleading. However I digress.

The OP hasn't provided any further information on what their situation is, and we know that the starter zones are definitely not a CC fest. So either one of two things is happening here:

(1): Troll Post(2): The OP has blundered into and end zone, but knows so little about the game that they can't articulate what is going on or what is happening.

Yes, that's exactly what i'm talking about! Thank you! That's what i meant for those knockdowns. Cause i know you can't do anything about them like you can with "normal" stuns. And i don't even mind those as well.

@Veprovina.4876 said:

There is a very small number of enemy skills in the game that completely bypass all stun breaks.
These skills, however, are quite rare. The only one I can think of that does this off the top of my head is the Icebrood Trolls in Bitterfrost Frontier. They have an AoE stun that locks you in place for 5 seconds, and it puts stun breaks on cooldown. To extrapolate this to be the norm, however, is incredibly misleading. However I digress.

Yes, that's exactly what i'm talking about! Thank you! That's what i meant for those knockdowns. Cause i know you can't do anything about them like you can with "normal" stuns. And i don't even mind those as well.

That troll skill isn't a knockdown though, it's a freeze. The skills that bypass stun breaks are NOT knockdowns, you can easily recover from a knockdown by using a stun break skill.

Edit: Can you give an example of knockdown that you cannot recover from with a stun break?

@maddoctor.2738 said:

That troll skill isn't a knockdown though, it's a freeze. The skills that bypass stun breaks are NOT knockdowns, you can easily recover from a knockdown by using a stun break skill.

Edit: Can you give an example of knockdown that you cannot recover from with a stun break?

It's a freeze? That might be it then! I might got it confused for a knockdown...I'll play for a few days, see if i can find some stuff, now i'm interested as well.

@maddoctor.2738 said:

It transforms your character. If I remember right you can break out of it by using shroud / reapers shroud.

The number of skills that do this you could likely count on two though. Nowhere near as common place as they are made out to be by the sounds of things here.

@Sigmoid.7082 said:

It transforms your character. If I remember right you can break out of it by using shroud / reapers shroud.

The number of skills that do this you could likely count on two though. Nowhere near as common place as they are made out to be by the sounds of things here.

Oh it's definitely not common, like i said previously, there's only a few areas that do this, and a few mobs.There's normal CC spam in a lot of areas, but you can get stability there and not care about it (if you have it), or use normal stunbreaks.

@Berryblossom.8921 said:There is nothing difficult or challenging in this game.It's just braindead AoE spamming.Only to get stunlocked in an AoE carpet and 1 shotted by trash npc's even when wearing Soldiers.Anet either do not care or are completely clueless.So there's no challenge yet you get oneshot in Soldiers by regular mobs? Some self-contradiction here. Have you played anything beyond open world?

@Troilet.9435 said:Fighting feels like your just managing the amount of time you're getting stunned and knocked down. I die constantly because I'm always on the ground, or stunned. I'm really trying to like this game, but it's brutally unfun right now.... Is there a trick to not being perpetually knocked down and stunned?

Where are you, and what level?

@Cromx.3941 said:Yep this game chases away tons of new comers because of the abusive CC mechanics and ridiculous amount of one shotting that goes on. There is way too much damage going back and forth between mobs and players and it completely destroys the entire defensive side of the equation, which dumbs down the game dramatically. The only thing that really matters is active defenses and dodging. Which comes off as gimicky. Either you get with it and stack only offensive stats and try to burn enemies to the ground before they do this stuff or you find another game. Its a huge problem with this game. All of this stuff makes the game very shallow and eliminates most stat combinations and many build configurations as a result. A lot of wasted time ands effort went into designing things that will never be used.

^This.Downed state covers up a lot of problems, but relies on other people being in the game with you...

I can actually explain this. There is a very small number of enemy skills in the game that completely bypass all stun breaks. These skills, however, are quite rare. The only one I can think of that does this off the top of my head is the Icebrood Trolls in Bitterfrost Frontier. They have an AoE stun that locks you in place for 5 seconds, and it puts stun breaks on cooldown. To extrapolate this to be the norm, however, is incredibly misleading. However I digress.

I know that, but that isn't an equivalent to "stunbreaks don't work on knockdowns", which is what he said and what's not true, which was also the point of people correcting him (and not "arguing" with him). Is this clear?

• Confused 1

To any new player struggling with knockdowns and spike damage in PvE, maybe WvW too, I highly recommend taking a build off metabattle, just give it a websearch. Its not the be all or end all of builds. But some of the open world builds have good descriptions, if you are getting cc'd or spiked down a lot, its partly your playstyle, you can find something more adept to your style, and with more survivability.

For example I am often watching streams or something on my other screen and I get distracted easy, so I needed something that can take a few hits without getting destroyed and so I play a battle scar renegade, does tons of damage, but is quite self sustaining. If you do pay attention but run out of dodges or time them wrong, maybe condition axe mirage, maybe minion necro so you can just face tank everything. There are tons of builds, its a bit of a pain leveling up something again if you are new, but its worth it when you truly enjoy what you are playing.

In general I agree with the OP. For a NEW player the game can be difficult. When I first started playing it took me some time to get used to the fast pace of the combat. I still have much room for improvement. Naturally the more one plays the game the easier it becomes.

A possible suggestion for the OP. Try the Scrapper Juggernaut flame thrower build you can find on Metabattle. It has 100% or near 100% stability. I tried it in the PvP lounge against various classes NPC and the crowd control reduction is very noticeable and satisfying. Hardly a top DPS build but relaxing and sturdy. Perhaps there are ways to improve the build as you get more game experience and play more offensively.

It is a lot easier than other MMORPG. (Well at least easier than WoW was back then at release.) Then again ... not that many people play classic desktop MMORPGs nowadays. Seems not it is more about MOBA and mobile games.

For better learning I'd recommend trying to start with 1 char and doing the core story and core maps. Instead of rushing straight info PoF and PoF maps (which a lot of people do cause someone recommends it to them for the mounts). Then much later ... maybe the HoT which is hardest I think.

For open world you often can get more players doing certain stuff. (Especially if it is harder and required for some achievements.) For story ... it is not that rare to change builds. I remember when I did season 2 story that has a lot of hard achievements ... still playing my core engineer (I wanted to play in release order not using Scrapper or Holo for this). I played around a lot and enjoyed changing builds regularly for all the different encounters.

Managed to do all those achievements solo without other players helping.

@Troilet.9435 said:Fighting feels like your just managing the amount of time you're getting stunned and knocked down. I die constantly because I'm always on the ground, or stunned. I'm really trying to like this game, but it's brutally unfun right now.... Is there a trick to not being perpetually knocked down and stunned?

Would be nice if we knew what your situation is, if you have played from 1-80 or you boosted your toon. What areas you are playing in and such because as pointed out before each area has different kinds of CCs and attacks from different mobs.

Unfortunately, this sounds a lot like you possibly used a booster and went straight to 80.

Making that boost was one of the worst ideas ANet had ,simply because it throws too many new people straight into hard content without knowing the mechanics of your class and the creatures you fight against.

If you used a boost. I’d recommend that you start another toon and work from level 1-80. That way you will familiarize yourself with what each ability does, learn to dodge and what can block large attacks and clear conditions off of your toon.

If you are still having problems please reply here so we aren’t guessing in the dark. We are generally a friendly and helpful community and we’d like to help if we can.

@sokeenoppa.5384 said:Some1 used a lvl 80 boost and went i to expansion content without playing the base game? ?I planned to just read the forums but I had to log in to give you a thumbs up. So many times this is the case. This game would be pretty lame if they all behaved like the Mursaat Overseer. For those that don't know he basically just stands there and lets you hit him...

I dislike the CC in this game as well, but I am not sure how requiring players to actively engage with their character's defense and survival is somehow more dumb than just stacking defensive gear and self heals.