Why do achievements?

@Mortifera.6138 said:

@Mortifera.6138 said:A measly handful of gold? Is it just to see a big number next to your name? Is it the average-looking skins?

Why not? I mean ... you ALREADY know the answer to this question right ...

... If I ALREADY knew the answer, I wouldn't have made this thread.

That doesn't make sense. You ALREADY identified numerous reasons to do them in your opening post :confused:

If you have a point about how you don't like achievements, just make it ... you don't have to pretend you can't think of a single reason people would do achievements, even if you wouldn't do them for those reasons.

The reasons I identified were presented as bad ones to do them. So no, I didn't ALREADY KNOoOW the answer to this thread.

That doesn't make sense ... just because you think those reasons are bad shows you KNOoOW they existed when you made the thread. I don't see the honesty or value in making a thread just to argue with people about what they think are good or bad reasons to do achievements.

It makes perfect sense. Why would people do achievements if the reasons for it aren't worthwhile? That's what I wanted to know.

But they are worthwhile for some people and the way you asked your question sounds like you assumed everyone thinks the same as you ... so your question DOESN'T make sense. You already knew why because you gave examples, even if those examples were tainted with your bad view of them.

@Obtena.7952 said:

@Mortifera.6138 said:A measly handful of gold? Is it just to see a big number next to your name? Is it the average-looking skins?

That doesn't make sense. You ALREADY identified numerous reasons to do them in your opening post :confused:

If you have a point about how you don't like achievements, just make it ... you don't have to pretend you can't think of a single reason people would do achievements, even if you wouldn't do them for those reasons.

The reasons I identified were presented as bad ones to do them. So no, I didn't ALREADY KNOoOW the answer to this thread.

That doesn't make sense ... just because you think those reasons are bad shows you KNOoOW they existed when you made the thread. I don't see the honesty or value in making a thread just to argue with people about what they think are good or bad reasons to do achievements.

It makes perfect sense. Why would people do achievements if the reasons for it aren't worthwhile? That's what I wanted to know.

But they are worthwhile for some people and the way you asked your question sounds like you assumed everyone thinks the same as you ... so your question DOESN'T make sense. You already knew why because you gave examples, even if those examples were tainted with your bad view of them.

You’re just cynical. I was genuinely curious as to why people were doing achievements. I did not know why beforehand, so it was a legitimate question.

@Mortifera.6138 said:

You’re just cynical.

No, I'm not cynical .. but I do enjoy the good early morning chuckle of the irony of your statement that YOU are calling ME cynical.

I was genuinely curious as to why people were doing achievements. I did not know why beforehand, so it was a legitimate question.

If you were genuine, you wouldn't have frontloaded your own question with the negatively spun answers in your own opening post. But hey ... that's not being fair to you maybe .. so here is the answer ...

A measly handful of gold?

YES

Is it just to see a big number next to your name?

YES

Is it the average-looking skins?

YES

You showed in your first post you are aware of the rewards for achievements. Given that which of these two options seems more likely?

1) Other players like those things even if you do not and are doing the achievements to get them.2) There is some other reward which everyone in the game except for you is aware of, which justifies players choosing to do achievements.

You're not new to GW2 or stupid enough to miss something everyone else knows about, so the obvious answer is number 1.

I do achievements for the same reason I like to 100% the games I play. The AP is proof of how much i've "compelted" the game, and best of all, people can also see my progress and in a way gives you bragging rights.

Of course not everyone care about AP and its understandable, clearly the OP isn't interested and questions its nature, but the meaning of having this point system varies from player to player.

A lot of us have been around since the beginning and are pretty much 'caught up' on things to do. Achievement hunting / Skin hunting / Fashion Wars is the real endgame.GW2 is such a sandbox and can be overwhelming for people too, so some people purely play zones to finish achievements before moving on, to give themselves structure.