Why didn’t some professions get weapons that could be dual wielded? (For Core & Elites)

Tseison.4659

Just as the title states and the question is more for Anet to answer because everyone’s opinion will be different and would really like a legitimate reason from them.

As a note: some might say “well it gives them room to add more weapons to other expansions.” Well to be honest I don’t think that’s a good idea because after EoD, they can easily just introduce new elite specs without having a weapon to be tied to it. Take Holosmith for example, they can just add “weapons” onto skills for future elite specs for other professions.

Additionally, an elite spec that’s capable of dual wielding diversifies weapon composition. So if I’m a Mesmer and only got a Pistol for off hand, why not be able to have it in main hand? (Dual wield pistols would be a dream too!)

But regardless, with that said, below are just a couple of professions that I think would’ve made sense to give them dual wielded weapons to their core/elite. :)

Dual wield (Sword): for Guardian, Ranger, Thief and Elementalist.

Dual wield (Axe): Revenant, Mesmer, Necromancer

Dual wield (Pistol): Mesmer

Dual wield (Mace): Guardian, Revenant

At launch the only dual wielder of things like sword, and mace was the Warrior. Thief and Engineer could dual wield pistols, Ranger with Axes as a ranged weapon set, with Necro and Thief dual wielding daggers, but then daggers were always more of wielding two offhand weapon kind of thing.

Dual wielding weapons like sword, axe, and mace was part of the warrior's fluff as weapon masters. Since then we've gotten the Revenant which kind of broke that paradigm with Axe OH and Mace MH.

I'm not against another class getting to dual wield swords, axes, or maces. I suspect they will give Guardian either OH mace or OH sword. Necro I can see using swords, but I think they are due for a mace. Rev I could see MH axe or OH mace. But who knows really. We'll just have to wait and see.

All that being said the last one handed non caster weapon that warrior does not have is the pistol, and seeing as they are supposed to be the weapon master, if they get pistol it will be dual wielded. This is part of why I can't see them getting scepter as a weapon. It can't be dual wielded ( I legit don't think the code is there for it).

@Lan Deathrider.5910 said:At launch the only dual wielder of things like sword, and mace was the Warrior. Thief and Engineer could dual wield pistols, Ranger with Axes as a ranged weapon set, with Necro and Thief dual wielding daggers, but then daggers were always more of wielding two offhand weapon kind of thing.

Dual wielding weapons like sword, axe, and mace was part of the warrior's fluff as weapon masters. Since then we've gotten the Revenant which kind of broke that paradigm with Axe OH and Mace MH.

I'm not against another class getting to dual wield swords, axes, or maces. I suspect they will give Guardian either OH mace or OH sword. Necro I can see using swords, but I think they are due for a mace. Rev I could see MH axe or OH mace. But who knows really. We'll just have to wait and see.

All that being said the last one handed non caster weapon that warrior does not have is the pistol, and seeing as they are supposed to be the weapon master, if they get pistol it will be dual wielded. This is part of why I can't see them getting scepter as a weapon. It can't be dual wielded ( I legit don't think the code is there for it).

I hear you and I definitely think Warriors should get dual wield Pistol as well. However, even with that said, if for example Mesmers got Pistol main hand as a new weapon for the next elite spec, that would be a waste as that could’ve been introduced at launch, but that’s just my two cents and I’m sure everyone knows what my point is in regards to that.

:)

@Lan Deathrider.5910 said:At launch the only dual wielder of things like sword, and mace was the Warrior. Thief and Engineer could dual wield pistols, Ranger with Axes as a ranged weapon set, with Necro and Thief dual wielding daggers, but then daggers were always more of wielding two offhand weapon kind of thing.

I don't get why not being able to dual wield forbids the existence of scepter on warrior.The bigger problem is that it would be hard to make scepter work on warrior thematically in a logical way, but it is not impossible.

Still think that warrior should get staff as the next weapon with a support elite spec, tho.

@"Lan Deathrider.5910" said:At launch the only dual wielder of things like sword, and mace was the Warrior.

Cough! Cough! Mesmer could and can still dual wield sword! Cough Cough!_

Personally, I'd say the weapons wielded are more in line with the thematic of the character than a matter of being able to "dual wield".For example, I don't see the necromancer being able to dual wield daggers as a necromancer strictly dual wielding daggers but as a necromancer wielding a dagger and holding a sacrificial dagger in it's off-hand (which would be more of a different focus than a dagger thematically).

@"Kodama.6453" said:The bigger problem is that it would be hard to make scepter work on warrior thematically in a logical way, but it is not impossible.

Just like necromancer's off hand dagger should be seen as a differently shaped "focus", you can have warrior looking at a scepter as a differently shaped "mace" (sure, not all skins are fool proof, but there is quite a number of scpeter skins that could work for a mace). Not claiming that the warrior should get a scepter (I'm personally rooting for pistol) but still it wouldn't shock me to see him ge this weapon as long as it's skills feel thematically in line with the part of the warrior the e-spec express.

@Dadnir.5038 said:

@"Lan Deathrider.5910" said:At launch the only dual wielder of things like sword, and mace was the Warrior.

Cough! Cough!
Mesmer could and can still dual wield sword!
Cough
Cough!_I forgot one, my apologies. tyvm.Personally, I'd say the weapons wielded are more in line with the thematic of the character than a matter of being able to "dual wield".For example, I don't see the necromancer being able to dual wield daggers as a necromancer strictly dual wielding daggers but as a necromancer wielding a dagger and holding a sacrificial dagger in it's off-hand (which would be more of a different
focus
than a
dagger
thematically).

@"Kodama.6453" said:The bigger problem is that it would be hard to make scepter work on warrior thematically in a logical way, but it is not impossible.

Just like necromancer's off hand dagger should be seen as a differently shaped "focus", you can have warrior looking at a scepter as a differently shaped "mace" (sure, not all skins are fool proof, but there is quite a number of scpeter skins that could work for a mace). Not claiming that the warrior should get a scepter (I'm personally rooting for pistol) but still it wouldn't shock me to see him ge this weapon as long as it's skills feel thematically in line with the part of the warrior the e-spec express.

@"Lan Deathrider.5910" said:This is part of why I can't see them getting scepter as a weapon. It can't be dual wielded ( I legit don't think the code is there for it).

Hodgins begs to differ :P
zr9uq6C.jpg

Is that a mini? Those scepters are quite large for that model. Utterly silly looking in my opinion.

@Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

@Lan Deathrider.5910 said:At launch the only dual wielder of things like sword, and mace was the Warrior.

Cough! Cough!
Cough
Cough!_I forgot one, my apologies. tyvm.Personally, I'd say the weapons wielded are more in line with the thematic of the character than a matter of being able to "dual wield".For example, I don't see the necromancer being able to dual wield daggers as a necromancer strictly dual wielding daggers but as a necromancer wielding a dagger and holding a sacrificial dagger in it's off-hand (which would be more of a different
focus
than a
dagger
thematically).

@Lan Deathrider.5910 said:This is part of why I can't see them getting scepter as a weapon. It can't be dual wielded ( I legit don't think the code is there for it).

zr9uq6C.jpg

Is that a mini? Those scepters are quite large for that model. Utterly silly looking in my opinion.

He's one of the NPC's in the Ascalon Catacombs dungeon.It does look pretty silly though lol

The scepter's he's using are obtainable in game (It's called Emberglow) https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Emberglow and they are genuinely that big on players too, like one handed staff's XDHe's one of the more well known NPC's in the game that uses unconventional weapons like that which has occasionally lead people to think duel Sceptors maybe a thing one day.I'd certainly like to see this combo tbh specially since no playable class so far has been given this combination.Much like Duel Shields and Duel Focus this would be entirely unique to the first class that gets it.

@Teratus.2859 said:

@Lan Deathrider.5910 said:At launch the only dual wielder of things like sword, and mace was the Warrior.

Cough! Cough!
Cough
focus
than a
dagger
thematically).

@Lan Deathrider.5910 said:This is part of why I can't see them getting scepter as a weapon. It can't be dual wielded ( I legit don't think the code is there for it).

zr9uq6C.jpg

He's one of the NPC's in the Ascalon Catacombs dungeon.It does look pretty silly though lol

The scepter's he's using are obtainable in game (It's called Emberglow)
and they are genuinely that big on players too, like one handed staff's XDHe's one of the more well known NPC's in the game that uses unconventional weapons like that which has occasionally lead people to think duel Sceptors maybe a thing one day.I'd certainly like to see this combo tbh specially since no playable class so far has been given this combination.Much like Duel Shields and Duel Focus this would be entirely unique to the first class that gets it.

Just like dual shields and dual foci, dual scepters simply look incredibly dumb. I hope this never happens....

@Kodama.6453 said:

Cough! Cough!
Cough
focus
than a
dagger
thematically).

@Kodama.6453 said:The bigger problem is that it would be hard to make scepter work on warrior thematically in a logical way, but it is not impossible.

zr9uq6C.jpg

and they are genuinely that big on players too, like one handed staff's XDHe's one of the more well known NPC's in the game that uses unconventional weapons like that which has occasionally lead people to think duel Sceptors maybe a thing one day.I'd certainly like to see this combo tbh specially since no playable class so far has been given this combination.Much like Duel Shields and Duel Focus this would be entirely unique to the first class that gets it.

Just like dual shields and dual foci, dual scepters simply look incredibly dumb. I hope this never happens....

Thank you @Teratus.2859 for helping to put the nail in the coffin for dual scepters. :lol:

In all seriousness that looks like a dumb weapon combination.

@Teratus.2859 said:

Cough! Cough!
Cough
focus
than a
dagger
thematically).

zr9uq6C.jpg

Sign me up for a dual shield class, sounds fun. At least it sounds more practical than dual wielding swords.

@Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

Cough! Cough!
Cough
focus
than a
dagger
thematically).

@Kodama.6453 said:The bigger problem is that it would be hard to make scepter work on warrior thematically in a logical way, but it is not impossible.

zr9uq6C.jpg

Thank you @Teratus.2859 for helping to put the nail in the coffin for dual scepters. :lol:

In all seriousness that looks like a dumb weapon combination.

Hehe no more dumber than duel maces tbh ^^That's more a thing with in game skins though, Gw2 maces are mostly on the ridiculous side when it comes to shape and size, most of them wouldn't make practical weapons in reality, specially duel wielded lol

There are far worse offenders than duel sceptors when it comes to things that look dumb in this game.. borderline every infusion, the vast majority of outfits, pretty much every legendary tier weapon, armour and trinket and more or less all the premium and special mount skins.. all qualify there XD

Only way I can see dual scepter work on warrior would be as short-staves which can be wielded at the same time (animations would depict the warrior using both weapons in every single move, although this could work as a mechanic for the spec). So it's not full on staff which is used by Core Rev and Daredevil, but it's also not a caster weapon or similar to Mace.

Like some form of sticks used to fight.

Edit: A lot of spinning with dem sticks

@Grand Marshal.4098 said:Only way I can see dual scepter work on warrior would be as short-staves which can be wielded at the same time (animations would depict the warrior using both weapons in every single move, although this could work as a mechanic for the spec). So it's not full on staff which is used by Core Rev and Daredevil, but it's also not a caster weapon or similar to Mace.

I would think that this might entail a lot more work, to have both main and off-hand weapons animated for every attack. My experience is that off-hand weapons are only animated for their specific skills (4, 5).

@kharmin.7683 said:

@"Grand Marshal.4098" said:Only way I can see dual scepter work on warrior would be as short-staves which can be wielded at the same time (animations would depict the warrior using both weapons in every single move, although this could work as a mechanic for the spec). So it's not full on staff which is used by Core Rev and Daredevil, but it's also not a caster weapon or similar to Mace.

I would think that this might entail a lot more work, to have both main and off-hand weapons animated for every attack. My experience is that off-hand weapons are only animated for their specific skills (4, 5).

That is the case. I was trying to get some creative idea with scepters. I would not imagine someone wielding 2 sticks the same way they would wield sword, or axes. For example, offhand axe on warrior has "dual wield" feel. The chop in skill 4 with both axes and skill 5 a tornado with both weapons. Something like these 2 skills but also for AA and skills 2 and 3. In any case, it would be nice of anet to start promoting their game more. At least to veterans. Would love to see some glimpses of the professions. Maybe a name or a theme.