It's time for transmutation charges and self style hair kits to go away!

Reaper X.6305

Played WoW for a decade...yes barbershop feature was great, and for the monthly cost, absolutely should be part of the game.

GW2, free to play, cost of a couple of expansions, three years later, and I have so many transmutation charges I can't use them all...they just accumulate. Have several hair change kits, also have paid nothing for them, and occasionally have used a complete change one to modify a character. Also, cost me nothing.

Keep it as is.

@kharmin.7683 said:Hard no. I really wish people would stop comparing GW2 and WoW. The business models are entirely different. Transmutation charges are easy to obtain and relatively cheap if one needs to purchase them. I prefer this current arrangement in lieu of a subscription model which would probably turn more players away.

Sometimes I wonder if a subscription model would help deter bot farmers and griefers using alt accounts...but I enjoy paying only for the extra things I want instead of paying for a month or two in subscriptions that I don't end up playing much.

@Nightcore.5621 said:

@yoni.7015 said:Just play WvW and PvP and you will drown in transmutation charges.

In other words play the worst things in the game?Playing PvE means getting a lot more gold than playing WvW, which means you have a lot more gold you can buy gems for, which you can spend for transmutation charges.

Non-issue thread

If a WvW player would ask for the option to exchange transmutation charges to gems (e.g. I have 300 of these charges rotting in my bank despite changing the appearance of my characters pretty often)......that would be a topic worth discussing. But even then I would argument that ANet has to earn money with something in the game.

@Fuchslein.8639 said:How can you farm transmutation charges in PVE in the same mass like PVP or WVW without spending gems or gold?Map completion offers a guaranteed transmutation charge any time you do not get a BL Key. There are a number of maps in this game that can be completed in less than 15 minutes.Roll alt, tome alt to 80 and complete the following maps:Black CitadelThe GroveDivnity's ReachRata SumHoelbrakBloodstone FenSilverwastes (depends on meta for the last HP)Dry Top (may depend on events for speed run)Lion's ArchSouthsun CoveDrizzlewoodDragonfallIf you are an efficient killer and can complete the hearts quickly add:Ember BaySiren's LandingLake DoricSandswept Isles

Then Delete the Alt and start again.This is faster than the rate at which you earn them in WvW/PvP..

@"AliamRationem.5172" said:I know WvW isn't for everyone, but one week of diamond participation and reward tracks should net you around 50 transmute charges. I don't know how bad your fashion addiction is, but that many charges lasts me for many months.

Just FYI for those who may not be aware just how many of these you can earn just participating in WvW!

That's nice... If you happen to be willing to play that garbage. On the other hand, even if i got a permanent transmutation charge from it, i wouldn't participate. Only surprise is that anet hasn't tried to strong-ar... I mean "encourage" people to do PvP/WvW much. Although if we believe people who whine how WvW hasn't gotten any updates, i guess anet left it to rot, as it should be. If they ever decide to do some updates, you can expect to get a lot of "encouragement" to participate whether you want to or not.

I read this and all I am getting is "I don't care that I can already get those things for free by playing the game. It is still too much work for me. I don't actually think about or care about the longevity of this game , how it's run or how the people who make and maintain it get paid."Transmutation charges can be earned for free by map completing, and pvp modes.Hair and Makeover Kits can be bought by trading gold for gems, or, saving up Black Lion Statuettes from Black Lion Chests - which can be found from Map Completion sometimes.
I feel actually playing the game, or paying the $10 for a few kits is incredibly fair already. (Even with the exchange rate to CDN, $13-15 is still fair imo)I'm really disappointed that any one would think to ask for these things to be provided for 'cheaper'.

More constructively however, it really would be neat if they made a way to make restyling your character more interactive and immersive - like having a building specifically for make overs while still keeping the original price intact. I would like a bigger preview screen with better options including lighting previews. Seeing your character in Lornar's pass is not the same as seeing your character in Draconis Mons lighting wise for example. You ever try to give a charr or norn a makeover? The preview window is kind of trash sometimes. =/

@Reaper X.6305 said:Yep, even WoW in their latest expansion lets you change your entire sex and everything in the barber shop. You basically get to do the whole character creation window again there. It's sad that GW2 does not allow us to customize without paying premium.

Do you also want a monthly sub like wow too? I’m sure Anet would love to trade transmutation chargers in for player $ charges each month lol

“Players can choose either a one-month WoW subscription for $14.99/month, a three-month WoW subscription for $13.99/month, or a six-month WoW subscription for $12.99/month.”

I love how people are comparing WoW to GW2. Like, yeah if i'm paying $15 a month just to play, i expect things like cosmetics and changes to be free. Why don't you spend $15 a month in the gemstore instead? Then you'll have all the transmutation charges you want, plus other cosmetics.

Also, they're already free in game, go play WvW and farm them. And no "i don't play WvW" is not an excuse. It's a mode that rewards transmutation charges, it's in the game, the fact that you don't play it doesn't mean that the charges aren't free.

I'm constantly switching parts of my outfits and weapons and i constantly hover around 70 charges. If i was to not change something for a month, i'd be swimming in them.

@"Vyr.9387" said:

The idea of sPvP and WvW being good for "farming" charges is generally nonsense.People who play PvP usually don't go for a single game or spend ten minutes doing one activity in the Borderlands to specifically get charges, but spend hours upon hours there with, in vast majority, very few characters, who already are styled to their liking, either by previous play or because most PvP players are more function-minded, which leads to the charges stacking - not because they're quickly gathered, but because they're seldom used.

It should take a low rank WvW player only 2-2.5 hours in WvW to earn about 11 transmute charges per week. More dedicated players putting in that time daily rather than weekly will earn 40-50 charges per week. That seems like a pretty decent rate to me, but perhaps I lack perspective? Are you farming them much faster by doing map completion and key runs (I think I'd rather drill a hole through my head!)? And how many charges do you use in a week?

@AliamRationem.5172 said:

It should take a low rank WvW player only 2-2.5 hours in WvW to earn about 11 transmute charges per week. More dedicated players putting in that time daily rather than weekly will earn 40-50 charges per week. That seems like a pretty decent rate to me, but perhaps I lack perspective? Are you farming them much faster by doing map completion and key runs (I think I'd rather drill a hole through my head!)? And how many charges do you use in a week?

It's leagues apart from a bad rate, of course, especially if the player in question is actually enjoying their WvW experience, since then it's much less about farming anything per se. That's the general idea of the part You quoted.

When it comes to map completion, as I mentioned, the usual 1-10 level run (using all the available mounts, certainly not optimal routes, though) consisting of the human introductory sequence, all five racial capitals, Lion's Arch, and creating and deleting the character, takes me at most 50 minutes, which would mean a charge every 8-9 minutes.I believe I've calculated and compared the chance of getting a charge for other maps versus the time spent and currently most profitable meta farms before settling on the city runs, and come to the (rather obvious) conclusion that it's much better to farm the usual Silverwastes/Dragonfall/Drizzlewood and convert the gold than to drill a hole through one's head.If memory serves, it was actually better to farm the maps and buy even BL keys than to hope for those from map completion, but it's been a while, and conversion rates/profits tend to fluctuate.

How many charges I use in a week... varies greatly with inspiration, and ANet's character slot sales :DLately I've decided to gear all my current characters to be able to hold their ground in Strikes, which translates into at the very least 8 charges per set, plus, another 4, give or take, to cover for the lackluster preview window, the colors not matching, clipping, or everything combined. Then there's an open world set for each new character to begin with, and it really doesn't help I'm actually enjoying the entire process.In total, 24 charges per character that can get eaten in an hour or two, assuming I'm satisfied with the result, no other muse decides to show up, and I'm outfitting only those two roles on a single character, not others for, say, Fractals.But then again, it's not every hour I'm able to tinker with the wardrobe - mainly because I never have enough charges - and I imagine I'd be considered an outlier even by the Fashion Wars standards.

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

@Fuchslein.8639 said:How can you farm transmutation charges in PVE in the same mass like PVP or WVW without spending gems or gold?

The same way WvW players farm gifts of Maguuma, gifts of exploration, play the mode.

But how do I play PVE mode and farm as many transmutation charges as I would if I farmed WVW afk?There are only a limited number of maps you can explore per character.

Or is this another, boo you must play all game modes otherwise you are not worthy.Sure, I like to AFK farm wvw. It's anyway so sparsely populated that I no longer take away anyone's place :).Of course it's a pity for the few who still take WVW seriously, if they have a bunch of people who only do the most necessary and 80% of the time just stand around. But in the forum you get to hear again and again, play wvw x).

@Fuchslein.8639 said:

@Fuchslein.8639 said:How can you farm transmutation charges in PVE in the same mass like PVP or WVW without spending gems or gold?

The same way WvW players farm gifts of Maguuma, gifts of exploration, play the mode.

But how do I play PVE mode and farm as many transmutation charges as I would if I farmed WVW afk?There are only a limited number of maps you can explore per character.

Or is this another, boo you must play all game modes otherwise you are not worthy.Sure, I like to AFK farm wvw. It's anyway so sparsely populated that I no longer take away anyone's place :).Of course it's a pity for the few who still take WVW seriously, if they have a bunch of people who only do the most necessary and 80% of the time just stand around. But in the forum you get to hear again and again, play wvw x).

Yes. You need to be in WvW or sPvP. But the Neat thing is, you get them JUST FROM LOGGING ON.

But of course you can also buy them.

See? Four easy sources of getting them. In fact, I’d love to be able to sell the 3000+ ones I have!

@Reaper X.6305 said:Please remove the need to use transmutation charges to change your gear's appearance, and put in-game barber shops in all of the capitol cities so that we can change our hair! It would be such a gesture of good will towards your player base. We all know Fashion Wars is a big selling point of this game, so please don't restrict it! Just have it cost silver in game if it must cost something. You can make up for the 'lost revenue' that this good will gesture would cause by adding other customization things, like player housing and furniture! You'll probably get a ton of good press (which means new players) for this move too. Please ANet, it's the right thing to do!

100% agree, transmutation charges hurt their backline, people would purchase more gem store skins if they were easier to use.

Also, hairstyles would make more money if they were free to apply, but also sold individually in the gem store, just as weapon and armor skins.

@Lonami.2987 said:

@Reaper X.6305 said:Please remove the need to use transmutation charges to change your gear's appearance, and put in-game barber shops in all of the capitol cities so that we can change our hair! It would be such a gesture of good will towards your player base. We all know Fashion Wars is a big selling point of this game, so please don't restrict it! Just have it cost silver in game if it must cost something. You can make up for the 'lost revenue' that this good will gesture would cause by adding other customization things, like player housing and furniture! You'll probably get a ton of good press (which means new players) for this move too. Please ANet, it's the right thing to do!

100% agree, transmutation charges hurt their backline, people would purchase more gem store skins if they were easier to use.

Also, hairstyles would make more money if they were free to apply, but also sold individually in the gem store, just as weapon and armor skins.

Where is your marketing data to support these claims?