Let's theorycraft fun builds!

Veprovina.4876

@"Axl.8924" said:A fellow charr chrono hah nice glad i'm not the only one amused by charr as a mesmer.

Here he is! The crit kitten! :smile:lrAoG1x.jpg

Years ago when this game came out, when i saw the mesmer profession, i had to make a Charr be a mesmer! Never regretted it, my best character and my main!I'm so used to a Charr being a mesmer that i no longer even question it! And they have such unique combat animations that kinda "feel" heavy, but then you blink around and explode in butterflies and it never ceases to amaze me! :smile:

• Like 1

Here a WvW Roaming Build - Chrono Power PU rupter - for Roaming and small scale.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?Pi0AEx/lJwoYXsEGKOqPntKA-zVRYBR95vYoAnUOCwmEIpJgyUE0rQIYBR3KgwlAC9AMugHsHukJJAySVKbA-w

Nothing really special, just the normal power shatter pu played as chrono with focus on Interrupt. It was not my intention to create a super powerful build here but to try and gain more potential out of the synergy between alacrity, slow and interrupt in the chrono trait line.

One idea was to counter the loss of superiority complex with danger time. I’m a little bit sad here, because in addition I hade to give up blind on F2 but the value of PU and Master of manipulation in unpredictable and uneven fights was one thing why I wanted to go chaos instead of dueling.

Something special is the use of the rune of the revenant with Mirror as healing skill. It is a nice addition and helps in combination with a lot of alacrity surprisingly well to counter the loss of distortion against projectile focused classes and can give every 12 seconds for 2 seconds resistance. These two seconds are very important to counter the totally non existence of condi removes beside cleansing sigil and torch but if you save your blink or stealth for the right moment it is more then enough to counter basic condi or range attacks. ( reminded me a little bit of the early days where we played without condi remove hehe)

Furthermore I use Master of Manipulation which also works surprisingly well for chrono as it counters the fact that we only have one real port skill and has synergy with mirror, massinvis and blink.

Sigil of Midnight also shows good synergy with this build since it adds 0,25s of slow on interrupt. What is there else to say, Shattered Concentration + Sigil of Absorbtion for maximum boon remove, elite skill can be switched to GWell and sigil of absorbtion is adding handy 1k heals which is perfect to enhance the low healing output of mirror. Played right can it lock down players for several seconds and is just totally annoying ...how it should be as a rupter build xD

Personally I really like to play like this but I truly have to say it’s sometimes very meme heavy and only useable for situations which can be won by smart and surprising gameplay. And to add something i don’t really understand either why ANet gave us slow on interrupt as a trait instead of chill but here we are and I want an effect after I interrupted an enemy soo...

• 3 weeks later...

It is not exactly off meta, but I've been running Power Block instead of Vicious Expression on my WvW zerg chrono build. I'm still near the top for boon strips thanks to mimic-null field, and running in melee with illusion line, especially with double mind wrack potentially removing more boons.

I can't tell if it's effective, but it is fun knowing that when Interrupt pops up, whatever that skill was now has a 10s cool down

• 1 month later...

I see several Mesmer connoisseurs in this thread doing fun stuff and as a Mesmer noob, I had a question for a build.

I love playing this http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PiwAEx/lJwmYcsLGKOSLanTA-zVZYBK10HE8WQEiKCEapQaLBysC6NEU7AIQawSCPA-w , a pretty basic core power mesmer build using Greatsword and Shatters to deal dmg. Relatively high stealth uptime via torch, traits and skills. It is a bit glassy, but I have learned how to kite with it. However I'm kinda bored of the weapon combination right now...

So my request is this: a power Mirage. A power Mirage with Axe. Is that possible? Does it work? Since I'm a sucker for uniqueness in builds, I usually don't want to just run a different spec with the same stuff pasted on it and call it a day (the unfortunate position many warrior 'meta' builds are in rn).

So I had in mind: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PiABcytrlJwmYcsLGK+AA-w this weapon set-up. Can anyone make this work as a power build? WIll I have to go hybrid? I'm not a fan of condi builds though. So anything creative that can kill, even with help, will be appreciated. Skills in the link weren't reset so they won't stay the same. Runes, Sigils, Stats etc as well.

Thank you for your time!

Edit: I forgot that focus is also an available OH, but both Sword and Pistol OH feel like better options.

@Grand Marshal.4098I dont know the numbers for axe in WvW but in PvP you can make power axe KINDA work.if you do, axe + sword as main hands. as for offhands you use pistol + X.X can be focus, torch.Disadvantage is, full melee build.Also try daze mantra instead off pain. its much better when used right, expecially with power block. Anguish is kind off a meme.

@Leonidrex.5649 said:@Grand Marshal.4098I dont know the numbers for axe in WvW but in PvP you can make power axe KINDA work.if you do, axe + sword as main hands. as for offhands you use pistol + X.X can be focus, torch.Disadvantage is, full melee build.Also try daze mantra instead off pain. its much better when used right, expecially with power block. Anguish is kind off a meme.

Thank you for the reply!

As for what you said, yeah, I was thinking that I would more or less always be within 600 range of the enmy if not closer, which is one of the things that helps a lot having GS geared up for. Distance. But when I run with a group, I figure that it won't be as impactful.

I will definitely use the mantra you suggested however. Still getting vuln out of it plus interrupts tat can save me (many times I have no CDs to interrupt someone or escape and get killed).

On the issue of power axe, do you believe that with the greater variety of stats in WvW it may be easier to make it work than in PvP? The lack of something like Power/Precision/Ferocity/Expertise stat is definitely something that would go well with that build in mind.

What amulets did you have in mind for PvP use?

@Grand Marshal.4098 said:

@Leonidrex.5649 said:@Grand Marshal.4098I dont know the numbers for axe in WvW but in PvP you can make power axe KINDA work.if you do, axe + sword as main hands. as for offhands you use pistol + X.X can be focus, torch.Disadvantage is, full melee build.Also try daze mantra instead off pain. its much better when used right, expecially with power block. Anguish is kind off a meme.

Thank you for the reply!

As for what you said, yeah, I was thinking that I would more or less always be within 600 range of the enmy if not closer, which is one of the things that helps a lot having GS geared up for. Distance. But when I run with a group, I figure that it won't be as impactful.

I will definitely use the mantra you suggested however. Still getting vuln out of it plus interrupts tat can save me (many times I have no CDs to interrupt someone or escape and get killed).

On the issue of power axe, do you believe that with the greater variety of stats in WvW it may be easier to make it work than in PvP? The lack of something like Power/Precision/Ferocity/Expertise stat is definitely something that would go well with that build in mind.

What amulets did you have in mind for PvP use?

in pvp axe power is very meme 1shotty build, that wants to end the fight within 30s.I think it would be much worse in WvW, I honestly dont see how you could kill someone using traiblazer stats, but I might be wrongtry using illusionary ambush and mirror images

@"Grand Marshal.4098" I personally wouldn't go full power with a Mirage since it's inherently a condi spec. You can make it work, kinda, maybe, but it's very "meme", so if you set your expectations within those confines you might have fun with it.I also wouldn't run any kind of Mirage in WvW because of the 1 dodge which kills any kind of damage you'll be able to dish out. It'll be extremely hard to kill anyone in WvW because of the PvE armors and how tanky everyone is while dishing insane amount of damage disproportional to their tankyness. I suspect it'll go really old really soon, and if you spend a lot of gold on that build, you'll most likely waste it.If you intend this for PvP though, then maybe, PvP is more forgiving as every class is kind of normalised with how PvP stats work. But again, power Mirage, one dodge, not sure how that would work. In WvW it's definitely dead though, damage mesmers don't exist, most you can hope for in WvW is a support Chrono.In PvE everything works though, so go nuts, there's no real bad build unless you go full minstrel and hope to do damage. :tongue:

I see. I understand your points. It's most probably a waste of time I guess for WvW. But since I basically try everything in WvW (Core double pistol thief no stealth, or say, life steal focused spellbreaker) I don't mind shitty builds. The one dodge is probably my greatest issue of course. I'll figure something out. I'll try to make a build. I'll post it here for you experts to check and I'll be golden.

Already got a Minstrel Chrono in WvW ofc btw.

Edit: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PiABsqdzlVwSYKMImJW+S7PPA-zVQYRwiSPtioUINFCZmB9WAyeACoo6/sUlmG-w

Looks aight on paper...

The biggest reason for going power Mirage in WvW I see is that it's the only Mesmer build with good mobility. A build that can actually chase down or run away from at least some of the other roamers out there, mostly because of the sword ambush. Of course you pay for it with a dodge.

@"Grand Marshal.4098" said:I see. I understand your points. It's most probably a waste of time I guess for WvW. But since I basically try everything in WvW (Core double pistol thief no stealth, or say, life steal focused spellbreaker) I don't mind kitten builds. The one dodge is probably my greatest issue of course. I'll figure something out. I'll try to make a build. I'll post it here for you experts to check and I'll be golden.

Already got a Minstrel Chrono in WvW ofc btw.

Edit: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PiABsqdzlVwSYKMImJW+S7PPA-zVQYRwiSPtioUINFCZmB9WAyeACoo6/sUlmG-w

Looks aight on paper...

No offense, but i don't think soldier's is the way to go, you'll get more functionality and just a bit less survivability with Marauder instead of mixing soldier's with Berserker's.I play Wanderer's in WvW and i can tell you, you need precision and ferocity, just power and 25% crit chance won't do you much good. if you can't kill your enemy fast, or at least make them think twice, all that toughness isn't going to do you any good because everyone can burst you down regardless. I can die in 2 seconds in full Wanderer's or full Minstrel's if i'm against bursty builds so that sprinkled soldier's toughness and vitality isn't as useful as it looks... And i know, you used Magnanimous sharpening stone but raw power like i said doesn't mean much. Better use Marauder's/Berserker's (or full berserker's for bursty glass builds - like, 1 shot yolo), and Tin of Fruitcake. Comparable power, but also a lot more crit chance and ferocity than you get on soldiers.

Also... Why run inspiration? You're not going to heal anyone and you don't get sustain from it unless you run healing power gear. That whole traitline is just wasted on power builds, the miniscule healing you get from shattering illusions isn't worth it and neither is the condi clense. Yeah, 1000k HP looks nice but it's finnicky and unreliable, and isn't going to mean kitten when you get hit for 15k damage...

Now, runes... I get why you chose brawler, but again... Better maybe try to burst your enemy faster. All that toughness isn't useful if your enemy can both outheal and outdamage you. You need to make them think twice and not heal every damage you did to them by wasting all your cooldowns becuase then you're as good as dead. Scholar, Eagle or Ogre runes are great for power.

Boodlust sigil is good, but only if you're confident in yourself that you wont' get downed because if you do, it's useless and you lose all that bonus. Energy sigils are a must and Clensing is also a must! Good choices! Instead of Bloodlust though, try Sigil of Strength. Gives you might on crit. With 50% crit it'll still proc often.

You're right though that it does look alright on paper, but in reality, all of that is just so unreliable that you'll be having trouble fighting a glass build. I know when i get jumped in Wanderer's and no matter how much power i have, the fights are just SO long and i do NO damage so... Only power isn't good. That's the problem with power builds, you need 3 stats for damage, while condi only needs 1-2. That's why Trailblazer works so great for condi builds. You get to be a tank AND deal damage.

Now, traits... Except inspiration, it's allright from what i can tell.I'll just leave some suggestions so you play around it as you want. You have multiple build templates after all, you can build according to the situation and switch.

Duelist's discipline is ok for a Pistol, but all that bleed is wasted, plus you only have 2 interrupts. So your skills won't recharge as much. If you can play it, definitely, you get a second phantasm sooner if you know how to properly interrupt people. But i'd advise running more interrupts if you go that routes. Maybe a mantra, idk... Phantasmal Fury is a direct damage increase on your phantasms, so if you don't want to fiddle with interrupts, take this instead. The rest from dueling is fine, there's no better trait really than the ones you picked.

Instead of Inspiration, i'd take Domination for Vulnerability and boonstrip (helps when fighting booned out people, brings them down to your level, otherwise the boons make them really strong), or Chaos if you like to play more defensively. (both builds down below)

Mirage - Renewing Oasis if you run Chaos (regen will give you protection), or Self Deception for extra clone generation (though, due to 1 dodge, that's also not a really great idea either). In any case, Renewing Oasis is a safe bet and a good trait regardless of which other traitlines you run.Mirrored Axes is good, though you can take Mirage Mantle if you need extra bit of survivability. You have 2 weapon slots, that extra recharge on axe and 3 axe ambush axes (which is mainly condi) isn't a super great damage increase. But both is good. Again, depends on the situation, slot both into separate build templates. Desert distortion is too obvious for everyone since everyone can see your mirrors. If they couldn't that would be a great trait.Lastly, Infinite horizon - again, both axe and scepter are condi weapons. You don't have condi damage. So if your illusions also cast it you're not going to do anything. If you run main hand sword, then yes, would be ok to take, but you're using scepter. Better take condi clense on dodge, or even Dune Cloak in that case. Every boon in the game for that one burst looks pretty tempting. :wink: Don't use it against necros, or when you're not going to burst, use it as a burst starter for extra edge.

Utility:

Sand through glass - leaves a mirror, lame... I mean, i used to run it back in the day of 2 dodges, but since then it became better to use Illusionary Ambush for an extra mirage cloak. This will also trigger your Dune Cloak and all the stuff you gain on mirage cloak like ambushes and regeneration.

Rest of utility skills as needed of course, but Decoy is good with Chaos, it's a stun break, plus gets you boons, and arcane thievery to mess with people. :tongue:Just take the ones that you think you'll need. If you need condi clense, or maybe interrupts, or more damage idk, this is of course very modular. Blink is great too of course if you need to leg it. Phantasmal Disenchanter is also a good one, and don't forget about Mimic, can be useful.

Anyway...Here's the modified build, Chaos:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PiABsqdzlVwwYcMJmJW6OmPVA-zVRYBBLq0TrIKFSghQmZQvFgtHgAKq+PLVpsB-w

Here's the Domination version:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PiABsqdzlVwoYbMJmJOuKfPfA-zVRYBBLq0TrIKFSghQmZQvFgtHgAKqtUlyG-w

This is of course what i would do, and it's by no means "optimised" because i don't think such a power build exists for a Mesmer. Power Mirage especialy isn't the greatest thing ever. This will hopefully explain just my thought process, it isn't meant to discourage you from experimenting or even running your intended build, it's just that, from my experience running toughess builds, i can tell you that they SUCK when it comes to downing anyone. Takes forever to even kill the downies solo...

• 3 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Curunen.8729 said:

Anyone tried rune of the Zephyrite?

I only just noticed it existed and curious about the superspeed bonus - does it interact with mirage cloak speed bonus? (given that got changed to 66% speed, so am assuming sadly it doesn't)

It looks like they don't want that interaction, so they made the speed increase to be NOT superspeed:

July 16, 2019
  • Instead of granting superspeed when dodging, this trait instead causes Mirage Cloak to grant +66% movement speed.
March 05, 2019
  • Superspeed's duration has been reduced to match Mirage Cloak's duration.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, TheAgedGnome.7520 said:

It looks like they don't want that interaction, so they made the speed increase to be NOT superspeed:

July 16, 2019
  • Instead of granting superspeed when dodging, this trait instead causes Mirage Cloak to grant +66% movement speed.
March 05, 2019
  • Superspeed's duration has been reduced to match Mirage Cloak's duration.

Yeah I was curious if the 66% speed bonus somehow still got affected by this rune, even though on paper it seems like it shouldn't - and as you say probably doesn't anyway.