Tell me your favorite things about Guild Wars 2 (returning player)

@Ashen.2907 said:

@Solanum.6983 said:Mounts: The mount system is another positive, you can't just fly up high and skip over content or make other mounts useless, each has their own niche and Mounts like griffon and roller Beatle are so much fun to master.

That's a good point, they really impressed me with the mounts. I was one of the people who always said GW2 didn't need mounts, and I still think mounts like I've seen in other games wouldn't add anything worth having, but I've been really impressed with what they did.

Yeah, I think that the mount implementation was well done. I still don't care for the addition, but I can acknowledge work well done even if I don't personally care for the end product.

I feel the same way about HoT maps!

I Started at game launch and played about 6 months then got bored and moved onto other games while coming back off and on. Why i left was due to my own poor choices of not learning the classes i chose to play in hopes i could just smash my keyboard like so many other mmos. Not kidding basically all mmos cept a handful you can literally pick up your keyboard and smash it and still win. But recently i came back in late 2018 and been here every since. Relearning and continuing to learn more about the game and how deep it goes. Its like this. You master something in the game like crafting all the crafts. But theres more. You have legendary items you can do and ascended as well. The game it self is very challenging. You can use meta builds from online and or come up with something else and see it work or fail. It really depends on what you seek out of a game you do choose to play and spend time on. For me my main most important reason is the combat and how it flows. You get a lot of control where vast majority of games is a boring rail system playing Yahtzee.

What do I like about this game? Ohhhh, let me count the ways:

• The fact that there's only 7 gear tiers, as opposed to other MMOs I've played (namely Runescape, World of Warcraft, and Final Fantasy XIV), where it's a huge multitude of item levels (ranging from ilvl 1 to ilvl 535 in Final Fantasy XIV :o ). Gear is kept simple in this game.

• The many different paths of gearing you can take, especially at the end game. The best gear in the game can be gotten from PvP, PvE, crafting, etc etc. Most other MMOs I've played the only way to get the best gear is by doing raids and that's it. Any other activity only nets you the subpar stuff. Basically, everything you want to do in this game is worth it.

• Versatile classes, kinda like a game called Grim Dawn. Rangers and necromancers, to name a few, can also be melee fighters as well. Elementalists, aka mages, can also be healers. Other MMOs would've just shoehorned these classes into one-trick ponies (warriors only melee fight and can't wield bows, rangers/hunters/bards can only use ranged weapons, etc etc). Truly makes for many many ways to play.

• Useful abilities (mainly heals and buffs), especially in open-world content. Abilities that affect "allies" affect all nearby players, not just ones in your party. Even NPCs can be affected as well! With other MMOs I've played - Final Fantasy XIV first comes to mind - a lot of their abilities only affect party members, with only the low-level single target heals being castable on non-party members. Makes random acts of kindness not so worth it. :/

• Useful ground-targeting. I prefer to hold down the attack button and then releasing it, rather than just toggling on and off. No other MMO I can think of has this option. And speaking of ground-targeting,....

• The only MMO where your whole attack mode can be ground-targeting/manually aimed (via engineer's mortar and grenade kits). I love this mode, especially after having to deal with tab-targeting since the 2010s (World of Warcraft & Final Fantasy XIV)! A welcome change from all that crap.

• The fact that the open-world gets a lot of love in this game. Other MMOs treat it like it's just a stepping stone to dungeons & raids. Lots of the world bosses - dragons, huge elementals, etc. - that you see in open-world content would only exist in higher-tiered content in other MMOs. In those, all you see in open-world is just larger versions of mook monsters and that's it. sigh

• Actual hard & varied dungeons/fractals. Nearly every other MMO I've played they've all been just glorified corridors, with some monsters & bosses thrown in. Not here. Jumping puzzles, carry item A to receptacle B, and other mechanics I can't think of at the moment give a lot of variety to these.

• The different types of mounts. Leaping mounts, high-jumping mounts, hovering mounts, among others. Other MMOs, notably World of Warcraft and Final Fantasy XIV, it's either they fly or they don't. Not much variety there. :/

• As controversial as it might sound, being able to buy gems/gold. It's such a time & grind saver, just buying what I need, and not have to spend time running all over God's Green Country to get what I need to get.

All I can think of at the moment. Might be more later. ;)

It's a fairly minor point but I also like the variety of races we have, and the fact that the charr and asura especially look distinctly different from humans, and the females are just as different as the males. Too many fantasy games have races which are basically all the same model with a few minor changes, or have males which look like whatever they're supposed to be and then females who look like humans with a few token features to tie them into the race without making them look unattractive by human standards.

It doesn't stop me playing, or even enjoying, those games but it's nice to play one where the races have really distinct visuals instead of just being a lore or racial skill choice.

The beautiful world, it's why I forgive them all the stuff I don't like. I am doing a lot of repeat stuff with my Alt accounts and the reason it never really gets old is because I still enjoy the vibrant world so much, the NPC's, the dialogue, the DE's, the nooks and crannies, the Vista's.

1 - Exploration, that the main thing that made me enjoying this game each time I log.I rarely plain anything, just log, hang out on a map, join the meta on it, then sometime I'll find a weird thing/item/place and will go look at it and most of the time find some hiden success, puzzle and so, it's amazing. Once I fall of the sky from the 1st map of HoT (don't remember the name in English) and I've land (well, crash is the most accurate word) near something I didn't now in a place where I've no clue how to acceed outside of crashing, a friend ttryed to join me to rez so we can look at it and it was a tiger nest and end-up to have a full success collection around it hidden in the world !I've ton of exempel of that, it's amazing if you love explore map.Look at Arch lion, I know their was a pirate theme puzzle and was fun to do, and years later I find the whole lion's arch was also a puzzle ! And 1 weak ago I find a 3rd tiny puzzle again in this aera xD

Well, you get the point.It's easy to find game with beautiful landscape, way more than this game (TESO, BDO, AA, etc..) but it's always easy and empty, not living at all.GW2 is for me the most succesful open world ever made in an mmorpg ^^

2 - Mount / glider : The feeling you've when you use them.. The job they did.. It's just insane especialy when you look at the release of this, the feeling is incredible, all feel so natural. The beetle and griffin are incredibly fun and fast, love using them just for the fun of it, though jackal still my favourite with the Skyscale <3

3 - Open World Challenge ; ok, not in core Tyria, but in HoT & Pof +LSx, the world is fun and dangerous, HP become true challenge especially when you solo them, then bounty, random champ or leggy, meta event, all these thing, for most of them can be soloed with the right build and that one of the thing I enjoy the most ! That not some easy challenge even with the right build/gear many of them are still incredibly hard and will kill you over and over at the 1st little mistake.

4 - Community ; I've play many mmorpg, most of them at high level chasing the hardest content and leaderboard, and tbh, GW2 have by far the most amazing community I've ever seen on a mmorpg, really. OFC their will always be some ***, but the very far from the majority, most people will help you if you ask about anything in chat, wil happily having fun saying some stupid thing will doing event in squad, rez ppl they come accross or help a guy who struggle on a boss/mob fight naturally. That really not like this everywhere.

5 - The staff/dev does a good job. I see many complaint on the forum, but don't listen at them. If you've play many other mmorpg, you can easily see how dev actually care about there game + community and I can easily understand how hard it can be to invest in a game that old and thus how dev need to deal with low budget to keep making good content.They speak to the comunity, they fix most of the annoying bug despite what some people said, really, if someone complain about dev on this game they just have never play mmorpg that much to understand the luck they have to get dev like this in GW2.No mmorpg is and will ever be perfect for obvious reason.

I guess Exploration is my thing. I really enjoy every piece of this game. The story, the environment, all places and the art. When I visit a Vista, I watch the whole clip.I start each map by exploring it, then I continue the story.The community is great and every time I see another player close by, I find it hard to leave. It's like abandoning a friend in the middle of a fight. Instead, I stay and help out with the fight before proceeding with the story.Running the game from a USB drive, works great and don't need to install anything. Awsome! Thought I'd have to wait until summer without being able to play, but with this solution I can use any computer. I'm so happy! =)No subscription, no pressure to play every available hour.

Definitely the music! Everything released with and after the Heart of Thorns Expansion is incredible! I am a composer myself and I definitely find myself sourcing a lot of ideas and instrumentation from the GW2 soundtrack lol.....My fav songs are The Jungle Provides, Shadow of the Dragon, or Rata Novus!

• 4 weeks later...

There are many things I love about this game. Exploration, landscapes, music, class building freedom. I love that I can take a break and come back in a few months, and I feel like I haven't really lost my progress because the game is now at level 150.

One of my most favorite things that I cannot stress enough, is that my character is not "The One", "The Savior". I prefer to be part of great events, but not the "Hero destined to save the world". I was so relieved that other major characters around me became leaders and figureheads in the game instead of passing the mantle on to me by default (i.e. The Pact). It makes me feel like I'm part of something great, a true adventurer, explorer, champion, but not the reason everyone breathes.

Edit: Like Crystal Paladin mentioned, the NPC chatter is great. I saw a kid bring home a rat in Lion's Arch today to ask his mom if he could keep it, and his mom chased it with an old broom for quite a distance. A lot of interesting and funny ones out there.

I like the combat, the classes/elites, the scenery in most maps and also, that it's a game that let's you put it away for a while when you don't feel like playing without missing out on much. I like how they did mounts and general movement is very smooth.

And I like to rapidfire doods in PvP with my ranger.

You see a lot of negativity here, not because it represents the overall opinion of the general game community but because this is one of the few official places to voice concerns in the hopes a DEV will address them. I would argue it's a minority and not to take it to heart. You will find more positive outlooks in places like Tumblr and even Reddit and possibly Twitter.✫゚・゚。.☆.。・゚✫*.

As other people have said: exploring is my favorite aspect of the game. I've initially rushed through the stories and many achievements but after that, and most of the time I revisit maps I've run through and take a more leisurely approach. Eight years later I am still discovering ambient dialogue I've never seen before, or heart breakingly gorgeous game assets - the other night my BF and I were exploring Vabbi and found some stunning planters not found anywhere else in the game stuffed with succulents, trailing plants and flowers. We are both plant nerds so it was very exciting to see that in some remote backwater outpost no one visits!

Mounts increased my fun exponentially because they create better opportunities for exploration; to see sights you might not ordinarily see. You will get screenshots you never thought possible.

Finding spots for incredibly aesthetic screenshots is also a small passtime. Trying to make the screenshot look like posters. Sometimes I print them out and put them in a scrapbook. Some older folks in my life don't understand the appeal of online games and by making something physical they can see, they start to understand. It's fun to look back at group screenshots, or pictures of remote locations I've visited in the game.

Cosmetics is a big one. Playing dress up. This is like a more involved dress up game really; 500+ dyes, and virtually limitless armor combinations. I know a person who has two accounts with the maximum amount of characters JUST for the joy of making and displaying looks. While I have yet to go so far, I have several characters which were made as clothes horses. Some armors or weapon skins just make me think of new looks and characters and I just have to make them!I used to roleplay, and I know it still exists but that also gave another layer of fun to the game when everything else couldn't. Finding new spots to re-imagine as a story scene, being a part of a small community building upon a shared continuity - that sort of thing was really entertaining.

I hope you have a lot of fun on your future adventures!