New playable races study - Choose your favorite

Lonami.2987

@Lonami.2987 said:

• They don't need a new Personal Story, and the old stories don't need to be adapted for them. New races get a short introduction, and then start their story right as the expansion begins. Previous stories are not available (play the old races if you want to experience them).

How does that work with the story? Currently, it makes sense since the story builds up to our character becoming Aurene's champion to bring balance to the world.

Now you want to throw in a new race, which was not part of the pact previously, and they are Aurene's champion out of nowhere? And the forthgoing story keeps treating us as the guy who was always at Aurene's side since her birth, yet we were not around when that actually happened?

If the story is supposed to make any sense with a new race, then you have to add them retrospectively. Not just as a random soldier who joined the fight when we travelled towards Cantha.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@BunjiKugashira.9754 said:

@Zakka.2153 said:SKritt or get out, the Skritt are smart enough and I don't feel they deserve to be put under Primitive. There is a whole quest in the Asura area saying if enough skritt get together they can become smarter then even Asura.

Plus SHINES!

Seeing how Skritt gain their intelligence from numbers, I request being able to play as a group of three Skritt. It would be one model, but it would feature three Skritt.The right and center Skritt each carry a copy of the right hand weapon and the left Skritt carries the left hand weapon. In case of a two handed weapon each Skritt carries a copy. They take turns attacking when going through an auto attack chain and every skill is carried out by one or more of them. When riding a mount they all sit behind each other. It would be hillarious.

This very concept has been done before in mmorgs much older than this. It's absolutely within ANet's scope, assuming they know how to do it. It would be creative, cool, and draw on Skritt's inate ability to vastly improve on their intelligence with numbers. I'm actually fine with this.

@Kodama.6453 said:

• They don't need a new Personal Story, and the old stories don't need to be adapted for them. New races get a short introduction, and then start their story right as the expansion begins. Previous stories are not available (play the old races if you want to experience them).

How does that work with the story? Currently, it makes sense since the story builds up to our character becoming Aurene's champion to bring balance to the world.

Now you want to throw in a new race, which was not part of the pact previously, and they are Aurene's champion out of nowhere? And the forthgoing story keeps treating us as the guy who was always at Aurene's side since her birth, yet we were not around when that actually happened?

If the story is supposed to make any sense with a new race, then you have to add them retrospectively. Not just as a random soldier who joined the fight when we travelled towards Cantha.

But this concept has been done before in mmorpgs. Remember WoW and the death knights? They skipped over a large part of the story but had their unique own story, and then joined the main story after that. Now let's assume a new race that starts in Cantha is pre-leveled to the lowest level area and this is where they start. It would focus on what most people come to the expansion for anyways, and bring a unique sense to the race. It could actually work.

@Oxstar.7643 said:

But this concept has been done before in mmorpgs. Remember WoW and the death knights? They skipped over a large part of the story but had their unique own story, and then joined the main story after that. Now let's assume a new race that starts in Cantha is pre-leveled to the lowest level area and this is where they start. It would focus on what most people come to the expansion for anyways, and bring a unique sense to the race. It could actually work.

I never played WoW, so I am not sure how that was handled there exactly and how the story plays out.

Is there something similar like the Aurene situation? Like I mentioned, the difficult part is that the protagonist is supposed to be Aurene's champion since her birth. We have a strong link to her and it is defining the entire story. Our relationship with Aurene is the base of everything that is going on, how we are defeating the elder dragons and let Aurene take their place in the natural order and such.

New races would struggle to find into this story, since they simply can't be Aurene's champion when they joined the pact just with our travel to Cantha. That's why the race would need to get added retrospectively, which comes with it's own problems.

@Kodama.6453 said:

I never played WoW, so I am not sure how that was handled there exactly and how the story plays out.

Is there something similar like the Aurene situation? Like I mentioned, the difficult part is that the protagonist is supposed to be Aurene's champion since her birth. We have a strong link to her and it is defining the entire story. Our relationship with Aurene is the base of everything that is going on, how we are defeating the elder dragons and let Aurene take their place in the natural order and such.

New races would struggle to find into this story, since they simply
can't
be Aurene's champion when they joined the pact just with our travel to Cantha. That's why the race would need to get added retrospectively, which comes with it's own problems.

Uhm. Not to my knowledge. The whole thing with being the chosen champoion of an elder dragon born to sheperd the world into a new age is... fairly unique. As unique as the chosen one trope can get anyways. But new races can be written in as a continuation of that arc, if they start at a later point in the story.

@Lonami.2987 said:

@"Super Hayes.6890" said:New expansion otw since this thread was last posted on so who knows. A new race would be fun as long as the expansion comes with a character slot.

I would give players the option to choose, I don't want/need a character slot myself, so I'd rather get something else instead, like a free "race change".

@Firebeard.1746 said:The best way to do this would be

1) Give each race its own voting slot -> lumping 5 different races into the same class could bloat the popularity when in reality the individual races could be far less popular

2) This should be a ranked voting system -> I think people have so many different favorites that the best way to make the most people happy is with ranked voting so most people get SOMETHING they'd be somehat happy with vs. 2% of the population is happy and everyone else grumbles.

Agree, but forums have restrictions, so this is what we have to work with.

@Hypnowulf.7403 said:Not much love for reptiles or the moletariat. Shame.

Serpentine races are kinda weird due to jumping animations, but yeah, I'd love to see them as playable some day, here or somewhere else.

Same thing for races with multiple arms, four arms being the most common.

@"sorudo.9054" said:looking at the votes i do see a pattern, ppl are boring at thinking of something new.it's always ether what already exists or what just doesn't work, nothing actually new and valid.

Any ideas for potential playable races who don't already exist?

Personally, from the existing ones not covered by the original post, I wouldn't mind
or
/
. Both could work very well with Cantha (jotun would be tied to the
there, and look more "human" than the game's current version).

I would say my current top five would be as follows:

No ideas for 100% new races though. The game has done a pretty poor job of worldbuilding beyond the current events, and that's a double edged sword. Some kind of insectoid race could be nice I guess.

look it up, i already posted a race idea with reverences.

I must say that I disagree with your Kodan assessment.Charr - lions on two feet with human intelligence and the most advanced war machine.Norn - norse-themed hunters who worship the spirits of the wildTengu - birdmen who favor archery and likely has limited flight.How is this too similar to ice bears who have a religion of one singular deity and their own type of magic? Their beliefs are different, their customs are different, and they use the magic of Koda's flame. The only similarities they share with the Norn are the ice fields of home and the fight against the sons of Svanir. The other two you mentioned have almost nothing in common with them. Especially NOT appearance.

As for Nuhoch, there is actually an event where you temporarily transform into one, with the same skill set the variant that fights unarmed would use. While this means we already have playable Nuhochs in a very limited way, they only use fists and hammers, so making that work with all the weapons would likely require so much work. That and the size is an issue.

Also, Tengu would not be unique. First off, oh god, the name. The name has been used so many times in popular culture. Second, archery and birdmen are not really new thing either. If Tengu gets added, then don't be surprised if some people say GW2 are copying Breath of the Wild. I think they are better off creating a new race altogether, but that would mean a lot more work. You'd have to establish the story, culture, class system, religious beliefs, and so on from scratch. But, you also get a clean slate to work your imagination on.

Finally, I don't think racial skills should be removed. I think they should be improved. I understand that the reason they are not up to snuff with the rest of the skills is because ANet did not want one race to dominate certain classes. But if the skills were balanced with and against each other it could work. At the very least I think it shouid take a spin in the think tank. But, I also think it would be very interesting if you could study the ways of the other races, and if not learn their racial skills get some sort of passive instead.

@Kodama.6453 said:

@"Lonami.2987" said:

There's many ways to solve that problem. Make Aurene recruit multiple new champions, for example. So the original player character would no longer be "Aurene's favorite", and would have to fight beside other champions, players and NPCs.

To top it off, make Aurene name Caithe her prime champion, while the commander steps back to recover or whatever. Then you have a situation where the original commander is demoted to a new position, while other new characters get promoted to that same position as well. The commander is no longer the "best ever", and there's multiple other commanders running around as well.

New races can then get a tutorial where Aurene contacts and recruits them using their dreams, then they leave their homes and join the rest of the races in the main storyline.

Bonus points if the zones of the expansion have level scaling, allowing you to level from 1 to 80 without missing the new endgame content.

@Oxstar.7643 said:Finally, I don't think racial skills should be removed. I think they should be improved. I understand that the reason they are not up to snuff with the rest of the skills is because ANet did not want one race to dominate certain classes. But if the skills were balanced with and against each other it could work. At the very least I think it shouid take a spin in the think tank. But, I also think it would be very interesting if you could study the ways of the other races, and if not learn their racial skills get some sort of passive instead.

I think they should turn them into novelties or masteries. Definitely not part of profession gameplay, that's for sure.

@"Touchme.1097" said:Goat beastman or scheletal redeemed undead.A lot of players would like to play undead, I have seen GW2 streamers trying another game just to play this race.

I feel like undead would work better as some kind of effect/tonic/infusion for the already playable races.

Unless you mean undead constructs, like the awakened zombies, those would need to be their own race indeed.

@ananda.5946 said:None of the above. I’m not sure why people are clamouring to play tengu. They’re just a bird variation on the charr model. Most clothes and all that will look just as bad on tengu as they do on charr. And, isn’t charr the least played race?

Now, choya on the other hand... Bring on The Pale Cactus.

This. Even if charr didn’t exist in this game, Tengu look stupid.

@Kodama.6453 said:

@"Lonami.2987" said:

can't
be Aurene's champion when they joined the pact just with our travel to Cantha. That's why the race would need to get added retrospectively, which comes with it's own problems.

Simple. Aurene dies. Easy clap.

Or Aurene ascends and doesn't need a "champion". Stories are supposed to be unpredictable and varied. If you can't fathom a probable solution, you're not thinking outside the box.

@mercury ranique.2170 said:

@"Lonami.2987" said:

Very likely
  • Said to have been the 6th scrapped race from GW2, they have a large presence in the game, and their own large territory in the middle of the other playable races. They use the charr skeleton, which would make development and armor adaptation easier, though it's unlikely they would go back to adapt every armor skin. Lot of unique bird and Asian-themed customization.
  • Very easy to implement, since they would use the same skeleton as the humans, sylvari, and norn. Most of the armor skins would be very easy to adapt too. The wings could be a problem, but they've never been stated to be a biological part of them, and for all we know they could be special assassin backpacks. Lot of fish and underwater-themed customization. They would fill the classic spot of the dark elves, and bring a dark anti-hero race to the mix.

Nothing in the game has a skeleton. It is not how game modeling works. It has a form and in that form there is nothing. You do see some skeletons in game production, used to design motion but it is not needed in the actual game. It is the outside of the body what matters. That means Tengu can't be based on the Charr model and Largos not on the Humanoid model. They would still require a redesign of all armor in the game.

I think a lot of us knew what was meant. I think it was funny that you cam for his neck... ??

@mercury ranique.2170 said:

@"Lonami.2987" said:

Very likely
  • Said to have been the 6th scrapped race from GW2, they have a large presence in the game, and their own large territory in the middle of the other playable races. They use the charr skeleton, which would make development and armor adaptation easier, though it's unlikely they would go back to adapt every armor skin. Lot of unique bird and Asian-themed customization.
  • Very easy to implement, since they would use the same skeleton as the humans, sylvari, and norn. Most of the armor skins would be very easy to adapt too. The wings could be a problem, but they've never been stated to be a biological part of them, and for all we know they could be special assassin backpacks. Lot of fish and underwater-themed customization. They would fill the classic spot of the dark elves, and bring a dark anti-hero race to the mix.

Nothing in the game has a skeleton. It is not how game modeling works. It has a form and in that form there is nothing. You do see some skeletons in game production, used to design motion but it is not needed in the actual game. It is the outside of the body what matters. That means Tengu can't be based on the Charr model and Largos not on the Humanoid model. They would still require a redesign of all armor in the game.

Well mixing up skeleton and mesh is a easy thing to do if your not in the industry yourself.I had to look it up on the wiki since I rememeber them talking about charr and tengu sharing something.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Tengu

• Tengu have the same mesh as the charr, but different animations. The tengu seen in the Heart of Maguuma and in Guild Halls have their own, unique animations and mesh, including Izu Steelshrike, who previously had the original animations.

@Biff.5312 said:If it was going to happen, Tengu is the only one that makes much sense to me. However, I don't think there's any lack of variety now in the number of race/profession combos. There's simply no need for a new race, and given that there's no particular racial bonuses in the game, it really seems pointless.

Everything isn't about advantages or bonuses. Somethings are just about satisfaction. Plenty of players would just be satisfied to play a Tengu.

@VocalThought.9835 said:

@Biff.5312 said:If it was going to happen, Tengu is the only one that makes much sense to me. However, I don't think there's any lack of variety now in the number of race/profession combos. There's simply no need for a new race, and given that there's no particular racial bonuses in the game, it really seems pointless.

Everything isn't about advantages or bonuses. Somethings are just about satisfaction. Plenty of players would just be satisfied to play a Tengu.

I have a slot and name reserved specifically for a Tengu Necromancer. The targeted motif would be a plague doctor (of course) and I have reserved myself from playing Necromancer ever (so it would be a wholly new learning experience). If it never happens, oh well. If it does happen, it would be satisfying indeed.

@Slowpokeking.8720 said:I want Margonite

Hey, long time no see! I see you're still in love with margonites =).

@Leo G.4501 said:

@"Lonami.2987" said:

can't

Simple. Aurene dies. Easy clap.

Or Aurene ascends and doesn't need a "champion". Stories are supposed to be unpredictable and varied. If you can't fathom a probable solution, you're not thinking outside the box.

Exactly, there are dozens of ways to solve this non-problem.

@VocalThought.9835 said:

Lot of people care about new races, it's also a good sign of health for a game.

@Hoover.6394 said:Non of them sounds that interesting, I want a Half-Demon race in Cantha, Like Fox Demon or Dragon Demon, those are more Oriental mythology related.

I wouldn't mind brand new stuff, but I'd rather see them properly established first.

@"Lonami.2987" said:Skritt They are too primitive from a technological viewpoint, and they don't have a large established territory to call home. They have various biological limitations as well. Some of them are part of the racial sympathy chapter from the Personal Story, and their inclusion as playable would contradict their inclusion as foreign races we have to befriend.

Primitive how dare you , oh shiny, skritt build things we have cities, lots of cities an lots of shinies. We have more cities than floppy ears and stinky plant people. We have trade" you give me shinies" we have history "really old shinies" We have lots of brave warriors " eek run away"

Skritt home land would be easy, pick any major city put the Skritt nation under it. Perhaps over time the Skritt managed to drive the destroyers out of Quora Sum and have been building a city underground that has now been rediscovered. Slightly smarter Skritt using a collection of improvised Asuran salvage and junk has all sorts of possibilities.

• 2 weeks later...

@"Joote.4081" said:I thought long and hard about this and I always come down in favour of something reptilian.

I've always wanted a naga/lamia/siren kind of playable race, but I don't think they're viable without a "racial movement" approach from the very beginning of the game's design.

Some day, I guess.

@Kodama.6453 said:

can't

They could just make Caithe aurenes slave and let the new race be free from that burden. That would be great, and i would play whatever race it would be exclusively after that.