Leveling a alt using dungeons

wilykcat.5864

• 3 weeks later...

@wilykcat.5864 said:On my server no one does dungeons anymore which makes it difficult to level up an alt. Dungeons are the quickest and easiest way to level a character and I dont want to be stuck during quest which gives a small amount of XP.

PvE Story normally gives a large amount of experience on completion of a story chapter. You can also use Edge of the Mists, sPvP, and WvW too.Lastly, the LFG isn't based on server. So, you can advertise your own dungeon group for Ascalon Catacombs and get people too.

• 2 weeks later...

@wilykcat.5864 said:What is tarir?What does meta mean?

Tarir Meta is the Auric Basin Octovine meta event where you free the golden city of Tarir from the Mordrem

metas are basically the series of events found on most endgame zones/maps which give rewards and usually have lore and achievements tied to it.

that said, while it's good for leveling HoT mastery points, it's not something/somewhere you usually go-to to level an alt that is below level 80 since it's a level 80 zone you'll definitely die a lot. @Fangoth.4503 might've misunderstood your post (or not and just deliberately posted that just for whatever)

Tarir meta events: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Battle_in_Tarir_(map_meta_event)You can usually find group(s) for it thru the Looking For Group tool, when it is happening.

Handy page to bookmark for all the major meta event times: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Event_timersAnd as a tip, it's very helpful to learn to use the wiki cause it has lots of info about pretty much everything in GW2.

@"wilykcat.5864" said:I thought neta was some kind of slang. I didnt know it was the name of a place

meta when referring to strategies or character builds is an mmorpg term short for M-ost E-ffective T-actic A-vailable

in the case of maps/zones and specific to gw2, map metas mean the defining series of events in the map

you may have/had confused both at one point in time. so yes, "meta" in itself without context is a kind of slang/jargon specific to mmorpgs

That's still confusing for me. I never heared of meta used for a series of events before. I dont know what jargon is either. Do I have to play the best class to do dungeon and or fractal or should I play what I want to play which is mostly not the meta? I know meta is a big problem in wow that it's making people leave the game.

There is still tons of acronyms and slang terms I still dont get and that I dont even understand. Expecially ones I see on the forums and in game chat.

@wilykcat.5864 said:Do I have to play the best class to do dungeon and or fractal or should I play what I want to play which is mostly not the meta?

yes and no.

yes, (in most cases) if you plan to play with randoms on fractals tier4 and cms. a lot of people will expect you to be in the meta build for your chosen class. though there will be some people who are very chill about it and as long as you pull your own weight they'll be fine with whatever you wish to play.

no, if you plan to play with randoms on dungeons and tier 1 and tier 2 fractals (for tier3, it's a weird place/tier but generally no one demands you to be anything). being on a non-meta build will be fine and again, as long as you try your best and pull your own weight no one will care what build or class you play.

for strikes and raids, i would suggest you find a guild willing to help you get started with these. there are a lot of learning/training guilds willing to teach people with 0 experience

@Astyrah.4015 said:that said, while it's good for leveling HoT mastery points, it's not something/somewhere you usually go-to to level an alt that is below level 80 since it's a level 80 zone you'll definitely die a lot. @Fangoth.4503 might've misunderstood your post (or not and just deliberately posted that just for whatever)

While it's true you wouldn't expect someone to go into a HoT zone to level, what they stated is correct. However, it only works if you can do enough damage to get credit for the event. I can't remember at which level you start doing enough damage for that though.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Astyrah.4015 said:that said, while it's good for leveling HoT mastery points, it's not something/somewhere you usually go-to to level an alt that is below level 80 since it's a level 80 zone you'll definitely die a lot. @Fangoth.4503 might've misunderstood your post (or not and just deliberately posted that just for whatever)

While it's true you wouldn't expect someone to go into a HoT zone to level, what they stated is correct. However, it only works if you can do enough damage to get credit for the event. I can't remember at which level you start doing enough damage for that though.

not going to argue with that.. i merely said it's not a place a below-80 character would usually go to for leveling. good if you want the rewards though. but really you probably have to be level 76 or higher to even be able to get the bare minimum damage for participation not to mention many things will one shot you if not, leave you with less than 10% hp. not really what i'd call efficient especially if you can't really play the class/alt very well - better stick to core tyria until then.

@Astyrah.4015 said:

not going to argue with that.. i merely said it's not a place a below-80 character would usually go to for leveling. good if you want the rewards though. but really you probably have to be level 76 or higher to even be able to get the bare minimum damage for participation not to mention many things will one shot you if not, leave you with less than 10% hp. not really what i'd call efficient especially if you can't really play the class/alt very well - better stick to core tyria until then.

The level threshold for doing the minimum damage is much lower than that. I'll test it out as I have a character on an alt account which I want to hit level 80.

While you will take considerably more damage as a low level, and likely be one-shot, it's not all that difficult to avoid taking damage during the meta. I tested it prior to the last post as a level 4 and didn't have issues staying alive. Of course, level 4 is well below the minimum level as I was dealing 0 damage with each hit. If I had supportive utilities, while in a squad, there's a possibility that I could have gotten credit that way. I remember when Bloodstone Fen came out, I would run new characters through the map completion and would use the mastery glider skills on players to get credit for the Hab event.

EDIT:

Just tested a level 25 Necro and I went from 35% into level 25 to 15% into level 27. That's nearly two levels and twice as good as dungeons. Dungeons are still more accessible since you can do them any time.

But I want to play how I want and want I want. I play what I know. The issue I have with this meta is that it is preventing players from playing what they like playing and is forcing them to play something else based on what a livestreamer said or some popular player said. Meta just seems very opinion based to me. I dont want meta to become a problem here just like the very bad issue with it in world of warcraft.

I can think of a time back in 2019 I played a feral druid in wow, did some very decent damage, knows all the dungeon mechanics, but players were telling me very harsh things because they told me that i wasnt playing the meta. They didnt care about how well I did playing they just looked at what I was playing and criticized me because I wasnt playing the meta specialization based on what a popular livestreamer said about it. I then left the game because of the meta issues, peer pressure, lots of meta based restrictions set by livestreamers, players severly bullying others based on what they play, and no in game moderators.

I now know what the acronym meta means and due it this, I dont like the whole concept of it.

I just rather play what I want to play even in pvp, dungeons, and fractals. I play a deadly arts thief.

@Astyrah.4015 said:

@wilykcat.5864 said:What is tarir?What does meta mean?

Tarir Meta is the Auric Basin Octovine meta event where you free the golden city of Tarir from the Mordrem

metas are basically the series of events found on most endgame zones/maps which give rewards and usually have lore and achievements tied to it.

that said, while it's good for leveling HoT mastery points, it's not something/somewhere you usually go-to to level an alt that is below level 80 since it's a level 80 zone you'll definitely die a lot. @"Fangoth.4503" might've misunderstood your post (or not and just deliberately posted that just for whatever)

I level up my alt there, i just use teleport to a friend then attack the octovine/buff ally to tag the event and get my 2level ish. its a bit annoying to tag the event at really low level but still doable. As its a map 80 (Heart of Thorn xpac) pretty much everything will one shot you but luckily there in not much to evade/sidestep :)Unfortunatelly the meta happens only ever 2 hours so you "need" a bit more than 78hours to do lv 2-80, so not that efficient if in rush but still a great way to increase level for a low effort.

@wilykcat.5864 said:But I want to play how I want and want I want. I play what I know. The issue I have with this meta is that it is preventing players from playing what they like playing and is forcing them to play something else based on what a livestreamer said or some popular player said. Meta just seems very opinion based to me. I dont want meta to become a problem here just like the very bad issue with it in world of warcraft.

I can think of a time back in 2019 I played a feral druid in wow, did some very decent damage, knows all the dungeon mechanics, but players were telling me very harsh things because they told me that i wasnt playing the meta. They didnt care about how well I did playing they just looked at what I was playing and criticized me because I wasnt playing the meta specialization based on what a popular livestreamer said about it. I then left the game because of the meta issues, peer pressure, lots of meta based restrictions set by livestreamers, players severly bullying others based on what they play, and no in game moderators.

I now know what the acronym meta means and due it this, I dont like the whole concept of it.

I just rather play what I want to play even in pvp, dungeons, and fractals. I play a deadly arts thief.

its a map meta so nothing is imposed its just a bigger event following the same "come as you are" rule than any other open world event

@wilykcat.5864 said:That's still confusing for me. I never heared of meta used for a series of events before. I dont know what jargon is either. Do I have to play the best class to do dungeon and or fractal or should I play what I want to play which is mostly not the meta? I know meta is a big problem in wow that it's making people leave the game.

There is still tons of acronyms and slang terms I still dont get and that I dont even understand. Expecially ones I see on the forums and in game chat.

map meta != meta buildmap meta are the main events that are recurent for a given mapmeta build are build that are the most effective for an encounter/dungeon/pvp/wvw. However map meta require so little effort and skill to complete that there is no meta build made for that type of content.

@wilykcat.5864 said:But I want to play how I want and want I want. I play what I know. The issue I have with this meta is that it is preventing players from playing what they like playing and is forcing them to play something else based on what a livestreamer said or some popular player said.

Or what maths says...

meta is not an acronym.