Dragon Story Missions are boring and tedious - [Merged]

Samnang.1879

Well dungeons, raids and fractals are basicly the same thing too. I also find them boring, but they are only tedious if there are people not bringing PvE builds. Or a brain for that matter. 2 people with good dps will breeze through a DRM... I've seen 5 people take 3x the time to kill things.

I think the game's longevity could benefit from new game systems that get players to re-experience existing zones in fun new ways.

Been away from guild wars 2 for a long while and been playing a lot of other games. One is elder scrolls online and they released a system where you get leads from older zones that help hone in on places to dig up artifacts to get all kinds of cool things. All of the zones are alive again from that new system. It was a really good decision.

BTW, I'm not saying they invented that system. Just sharing what I saw that really did wonders for making the world exciting again. If anyone from arenanet is curious it is described in eso wiki as antiquity system.

@Dawdler.8521 said:Well dungeons, raids and fractals are basicly the same thing too. I also find them boring, but they are only tedious if there are people not bringing PvE builds. Or a brain for that matter. 2 people with good dps will breeze through a DRM... I've seen 5 people take 3x the time to kill things.

They are boring too :# They are replayable because they give good rewards so I can play fashion wars :# As for raids, I raid mainly to feel a sense of community :# Not because I actually enjoy the content.

It's a breeze for sure, but it's annoying, long, tedious and unrewarding.

I don't find Strike Missions annoying for example, because we go str8 to the boss.

The DRM's on the other hand, we have to clear easy mobs that take FOREVERrrrrrrrrrrrr

@Redfeather.6401 said:I think the game's longevity could benefit from new game systems that get players to re-experience existing zones in fun new ways.

Been away from guild wars 2 for a long while and been playing a lot of other games. One is elder scrolls online and they released a system where you get leads from older zones that help hone in on places to dig up artifacts to get all kinds of cool things. All of the zones are alive again from that new system. It was a really good decision.

BTW, I'm not saying they invented that system. Just sharing what I saw that really did wonders for making the world exciting again. If anyone from arenanet is curious it is described in eso wiki as antiquity system.

Exactly.

I don't mind going back to old zones, I mean some zones are beautiful, I don't understand why it's abandoned just to make new maps that have the exact same events, same useless NPC fights............... I mean....

Put something new, be innovative, it's not that hard :# Doing group events where we just press 1 1111111 and then finish... is so tedious and boring.

Why do people find HoT metas fun???? it's because of all the mechanics involved... we don't want to play a game where we just press 1111111111111.

@Blocki.4931 said:Honestly they are okay. They are not long enough to be annoying IMO and optimizing the pre-event is kinda fun. Just annoying when you have to wait for NPCs, especially if they decide to attack this one random destroyer that was not even near them.

I’m going to wait to see how the DRMs play out in their entirety as well as a full mastery and judge the whole DRM as a whole.

I actually liked the story part of them and the banter and lore i learn in the process. ASide from the CMs I actually like the boss fights, I agree with the assesment that there's not a lot of diversity in format and that can wear on them. I'd give them an 70-80/100. Also if some of the longer ones were 5-10 mins shorter the pacing would be way better.

I also don't feel like they compete well with other types of gameplay in terms of rewards and this community has a penchant for efficiency.

Also the quality of DRMs would be much higher if people could rejoin after mission start. Then I could start a DRM, doing the morale events while in LFG and collect people along the way. This works with forging steel, not sure why they took this direction.

@Dawdler.8521 said:Well dungeons, raids and fractals are basicly the same thing too. I also find them boring, but they are only tedious if there are people not bringing PvE builds. Or a brain for that matter. 2 people with good dps will breeze through a DRM... I've seen 5 people take 3x the time to kill things.

Dungeons were optional story content, not mandatory. DST should have been the same, with time spent on expanding the story more.

• Like 1

@Oxstar.7643 said:

Dungeons were optional story content, not mandatory. DST should have been the same, with time spent on expanding the story more.Well DRMs are optional too - you dont have to do the LS.

But considering it takes like 10-20m to solo a DRM, its not like its time consuming.

If you want even more optional, there is the strike missions. I havent done a single of them. Or raids for that matter. Or fractals. Its all optional.

@Firebeard.1746 said:Also if some of the longer ones were 5-10 mins shorter the pacing would be way better.

Or as much as 50% shorter (or more) :)

The reason I say this is the point to the story missions should be to present the story in the most dramatic and entertaining manner possible. It has been pointed out that players don't do story mission for the loot, they want to see the lore and story.

Nothing kills a good story when watching a movie worse than drawn-out, tedious scenes, and nothing kills a good story in an RPG than drawn-out, tedious timesinks, whether they are too many waves of enemies, too many steps in a puzzle, or boss fights deliberately designed to drag on and on. I have no problem with timesinks in other content like Dungeons, Fractals, Guild Missions etc. I get the reason for having timesinks in MMOs, but they absolutely ruin good storytelling, and GW2's story is good enough that it deserves to be told well.

@Dawdler.8521 said:Yet the entire storyline is still optional no matter how much you want to compare dungeons to DRMs.

I would argue the story not optional if you look at it from the point of building a strong community around a game. An MMO can have a wide range of players from hardcore raiders to light casuals to RPGers. The one element that can unite all these players and bring them together as a community is the setting and the lore. Any GW2 fan should be able to talk to another GW2 fan about Tyria. That means understanding the history, races and regions, it means knowing the differences between the Legions of the char or why you never make a Snaff joke around an asura.

The story is what accomplishes this. The story allows a diverse range of players with widely different play-styles to find common ground so they can share and connect with each other. And that means the story should be accessible to everyone from Legendary harpoon gun-owning, basement-dwelling tryhards to the most casual of gems-to-gold buying, filthy casuals.

The story to an RPG, whether single-player or massively online, is not optional. It's an important foundation of the fan community.

• Like 1

It'll be more tedious if you're going for the two new weapon sets. You'll need 1,664 prismaticite crystals to craft all of the weapons. If you do the daily three DRMs for the daily achievement, it'll take you about 151 days to acquire those unless you do more than three a day and/or mix in CMs which I believe drop more. Or you can spend around 1,760 gold and buy them off the TP although I don’t believe there are that many listed and the price would certainly go up.

Better get farming.

Edit: The new mastery tier doubles the crystal drop assuming you have the opposite dragon's buff.

@DoctorOverlord.8620 said:I would argue the story not optional if you look at it from the point of building a strong community around a game. An MMO can have a wide range of players from hardcore raiders to light casuals to RPGers. The one element that can unite all these players and bring them together as a community is the setting and the lore. Any GW2 fan should be able to talk to another GW2 fan about Tyria. That means understanding the history, races and regions, it means knowing the differences between the Legions of the char or why you never make a Snaff joke around an asura.

You can argue that but it is still optional. Of course I would also say that you should do it if you like playing GW2, its a given. But no one is forcing the LS on people. Dont people start the LS to... kind of complete it? Whether it contain a DRM, a dungeon, or whatever is irrelevant. This argument that its not optional would be the same as saying raids arent optional. Dont they do exactly what you say?

The story is what accomplishes this. The story allows a diverse range of players with widely different play-styles to find common ground so they can share and connect with each other. And that means the story should be accessible to everyone from Legendary harpoon gun-owning, basement-dwelling tryhards to the most casual of gems-to-gold buying, filthy casuals.

Exactly. Like it is now.

@Dawdler.8521 said:

You can argue that but it is still optional. Of course I would also say that you should do it if you like playing GW2, its a given. But no one is forcing the LS on people. Dont people start the LS to... kind of complete it? Whether it contain a DRM, a dungeon, or whatever is irrelevant.

I think we're talking about different things. You're talking about gameplay while I'm talking more about essential foundations for the game that should be shared among the community.

I'm just saying there are some elements to any MMO that are basic parts of the experience. Character creation and customization. Combat. Exploration. And I would rank Story as essential as any of these, but that's just my opinion. I suppose there are those who don't care about the story and ignore all dialog and lore, just like there might be people who play RPGs like Mass Effect and ignore the dialog choices and just want to grind to the boss fights. You can certainly play RPGs that way, but it would be like playing GW2 to only to farm nodes and sell mats on the TP to see how much gold you can gather (Which you could do and even eventually reach max level weirdly enough). To each their own....

This argument that its not optional would be the same as saying raids arent optional. Dont they do exactly what you say?

Raids don't really tell the story. They give (sometimes important) pieces of background lore, but they won't explain why undead are running around Orr or why Lake Doric is a mess. To share and understand the background and lore that is familiar to the GW2 community, you need to do the LS.

I just did the Brisban Wildlands DRM with all of the CMs enabled 3 times. I did Snowden Drifts yesterday and Gendarran Fields the day before that.

The Snowden Drifts time limit by the way is too short. By the time you get the kodan down the path there are only like 6 minutes left.

That point aside, every day that I've done them, I've just felt exhausted.

Maybe it is just me but I've played though all of the content this game has to offer from Shattered Observatory CM, to Dhum CM, etc and I have never felt so wiped out as I do from playing these and its not even close. They are very tedious and very taxing on you physically. You are constantly dodging or breaking cc or ripping boons or running or jumping while trying to maintain a proper rotation to clear the content within the time limits. Its a bit much.

Why they decided to make you repeat the CMs 5 times is beyond me. I've tried grouping up but its virtually impossible to find competent people in LFG. I've had better luck clearing them solo so far... but man do they wipe me out.

I can think of a million other things I'd rather be doing in the game than playing these but they force you to grind these for the achievements and usually if you want to craft the legendary trinket at the end of a season you will need to do most of the achievements so that's the only reason I'm doing them.

Am I the only person who feels this way about these missions? I hope this isn't a sign of the sort of gameplay we can expect in EOD.