Dragon Hunter vs Firebrand

Acheron.4576

I voted for Dragonhunter:

1. Using longbow is on of few ways of poking scourges in this meta. A bit tired of this insane area control.
  2. Axe is useless.
  3. Mobility.
  4. Firebrand can be easily striked down when playing a more offensive build.
  5. You often have to waste your tome as a Firebrand to cast 2-3 skills.
  6. I dislike some of the FB traits.

(PvP perspective)

I love the impact and flexibility of the Dragonhunter. It feels so great on Charrdians. FIrebrands are... just kinda there, farting out boons and burns. Dragonhunters, however, have a really physical presence I love so much - they stab people with a spear made of fire, and can pull them in to a pain zone. They heal their allies by physically leaping into the fray and exploding. They protect their allies by throwing up a massive shield, and they dominate wherever they land with powerful PBAoE, though apparently it's possible to pre-set those.

Firebrand lacks that punch to it.

I sincerely hate the Firebrand's mechanics, for the following reasons:

1. The basic mechanics are a copy of the Engineer's. However, the implementation is bad, because you still make the most damage with your weapons and have to switch far more often between F-skills and weapons. It's just a chaotic mess to me.
  2. The F1, F2 and F3 skill icons are indistinguishable. The images tell you nothing about the skill and they often look too similar. They don't even have different colors for the three different F-slots. That means you can't memorize them visually, you need to remember them by position (which takes a lot more time and feels counter-intuitive).
  3. The activation time for mantras is annoyingly high.

@Ragnarox.9601 said:I never lost to DH in duels, FB is simply better fighting DH, but with FB I cant win vs Spellbreakers while with DH I kill every warrior with ease.

Weren't you the guy raging on these forums about how FB was the worst thing ever?

@Kuya.6495 said:

@Ragnarox.9601 said:I never lost to DH in duels, FB is simply better fighting DH, but with FB I cant win vs Spellbreakers while with DH I kill every warrior with ease.

Weren't you the guy raging on these forums about how FB was the worst thing ever?

Its was untill buffs that came in expansion, but again It is not the best elite spec, it can use some new buffs, but it cant compete vs scourge and spellbreakers, they just crush you with ease.

@Obtena.7952 said:As someone that always tried to make condi Guardian work ... the choice is obvious for me. It's a bitter sweet feeling though. Now Anet just hands is a complete condition build, no challenge to make it work anymore.

I was in the same boat, and it would have been so easy to get condi Guard to be viable. All they needed to do was bring the 4s duration for VoJ over to PvE from PvP. That alone would have made condi Guard viable but they also could have made spirit weapons last forever like necro minions as well. Two easy changes and condi Guard would have had a place, instead they destroyed any decent use for the Sword/Hammer, did a side-grade to the shield, and buffed the bow. Anet could of also made spirit weapons act like banners for buffs so that there could be choice in raid comps for Banner buffs. Sadly they didn't do anything like this and just sold us our condi spec with the expansion (I do like FB, but it's just an improved version of what Guardian should have always been).

@Ragnarox.9601 said:

@Kuya.6495 said:

Its was untill buffs that came in expansion, but again It is not the best elite spec, it can use some new buffs, but it cant compete vs scourge and spellbreakers, they just crush you with ease.

They crush everything with ease.... I got on my DH the other day to duel a spellbreaker who had a mere 5 hours of experience on warrior. He was face-rolling hard and would always pop FC when it was on cd and he was in range for it. I dodged or didn't proc about 80% of them. Although both of our pings were insanely high (made comboes nigh impossible) it still took me 5 minutes to kill him with 2 close-calls on my end. I have yet to duel a good scourge on my DH but longbow DH does seem to do better against them than FB (power or condi, doesn't matter).

@Despond.2174 said:

@Despond.2174 said:DH made me get the weapon I longed for on guardian. LB needs to be brought to more specs. I can't get into the mantra style and such close range/low cone on everything, but some people prefer that so that's awesome.

yeah but to make damage with bow u need to be squishy as hell... one slap and the DH is down ... lol, and with the current unblockables.. lawl... u cant even play DH... its a DPS power creep race... nothing more.

• 3 years later...

Dragonhunter. Clear, defined strengths and weaknesses. Visual clarity and satisfying effects. Timing-reliant and contains nuance I can appreciate.

Firebrand's too much like elementalist: less about timing and game sense, more about skill chaining and no real weaknesses as a result of flexibility that's hard to balance.

If we speak about trapper rune DH, I'll take Firebrand. Meditrapper is the apex, though.