What kind of DIFFICULTY would you like for EoD open world maps?

Susy.7529

@"Krzysztof.5973" said:Difficulty that would encourage people to team up while playing a multiplayer game :)

Are you proposing some sort of.. MMO? Where people have to ask for help, team up, overcome challenges, form communities and bonds and possibly play together for years to come, staying engaged with the game?Rather than some instant gratification train, walzing through the content in a week or two in "alone together" GW2 fashion and then quitting until the next content drop months down the line?Madness.

In essence, mobs that do not fall into the one-bang territory (core Tyria) but also are not painted onto the landscape with a MS Paint spray can so there are millions (Heart of Thorns). A bit of thinking would be nice when it comes to engaging and killing them. I think the Forged are a brilliant example of enemies done right, especially those poxy hoverboard Vanguards :s

I don't think I can vote with the choices given.I want to see less PoF "choices" of how the game threw stuff at us, that has nothing to do with "difficulty".I want a reduced aggro range, which was horrible in PoF, because you not only aggro'ed mobs at higher range (900?), but they also alerted other mobs at a higher radius than in HoT or LS seasons before. PoF had faster respawns and pop ups on very channel (when picking up bones, opening boxes etc.).That makes PoF maps so highly annyoing to me. I can deal with Scarabs and Sand Lions with their blind spam, when I am not constantly attacked by wandering or respawning Hydras or "Lightning plants".PoF hearts, especially the ones in Vabbi, where you have to go back to to get "daily" Funery Incense take forever to finish.Mob difficulty has not made PoF unenjoyable to me, that other stuff did.

@"Gorani.7205" said:I don't think I can vote with the choices given.I want to see less PoF "choices" of how the game threw stuff at us, that has nothing to do with "difficulty".I want a reduced aggro range, which was horrible in PoF, because you not only aggro'ed mobs at higher range (900?), but they also alerted other mobs at a higher radius than in HoT or LS seasons before. PoF had faster respawns and pop ups on very channel (when picking up bones, opening boxes etc.).That makes PoF maps so highly annyoing to me. I can deal with Scarabs and Sand Lions with their blind spam, when I am not constantly attacked by wandering or respawning Hydras or "Lightning plants".PoF hearts, especially the ones in Vabbi, where you have to go back to to get "daily" Funery Incense take forever to finish.Mob difficulty has not made PoF unenjoyable to me, that other stuff did.

I wish I could give you more than 1 like. People here constantly overgeneralize everything which can be .... annoying x).

I will admit, I had way more fun playing HoT than PoF. I much prefer challenging content where it's hard to progress. The nerfs to HoT while nice for many, were something I didn't like.

I'd like if at least some of the maps in EoD are at least as hard as HoT launch. Getting through the jungle on those first days was possibly the most fun I had in GW2.

@Loboling.5293 said:I will admit, I had way more fun playing HoT than PoF. I much prefer challenging content where it's hard to progress. The nerfs to HoT while nice for many, were something I didn't like.

I'd like if at least some of the maps in EoD are at least as hard as HoT launch. Getting through the jungle on those first days was possibly the most fun I had in GW2.

Well, as HoT was nerfed after significant blow-back from the player community I really don't see Anet going back to that level.

Ok let me define what I mean by "Higher than HoT difficulty"

• I like my maps to be ridiculously overboard challenging concerning combat. I personally would enjoy a map that had random mobs spawning that were as difficult as T4 fractal mobs.
  • I like my maps to be relatively Verdant Brink like difficult in terms of traversing the map and exploring it. Verdant Brink is my opinion the best designed map in the game. It is complex enough and has much exploration to be done from both low to high, ground to air, and even things hidden in underground places. VB also feels good to run around in and although it is large and complex enough, it doesn't feel restrictive and confining in the way that Tangled Depths felt. I DO NOT like my maps concerning traversal, to be anywhere near as complex, restrictive or confining as Tangled Depths. Even to this day in 2021 after nearly18 characters who have cleared Tangled Depths, I still find myself getting lost and frustrated each time I visit that map, which is just annoying and always a headache.
  • In terms of completing story content, mastery stuff, event chains that lead to metas, and even achievements, there is a difference between "good difficult" and "bad difficult" that I would like to define. Good difficult is when something is actually challenging and requires multiple attempts to figure out how to master and do correctly. Bad difficult is when something is easy to do but requires some inordinate amount of patience and grinding that you have to stomach if you want to complete it. A good example of Good Difficult, is when a commander tag has to teach the people in his map how to correctly run some meta boss if they want to beat it, such as Triple Trouble. Another example of Good Difficult is figuring out raven mirror puzzles. <- This is all cerebrally active. Bad Difficult is when you are sent on a 6+ hour easter egg hunt, literally running around Tyria as you hunt for actual eggs or something to complete an overly large collection. And the things you are finding aren't even hard to find, there are just so many that you're looking at a lot of load screens in your near future and running across maps in a mind numbing test of your patience and will power to not fall asleep. In other words, I'd rather have 3 eggs to retrieve for some collection, that required completing difficult challenges to obtain, than have 30 eggs to find that are all easy to get but require me to load screen 30x and run across 30x maps to obtain.

@"Trevor Boyer.6524" said:Ok let me define what I mean by "Higher than HoT difficulty"

• I like my maps to be relatively Verdant Brink like difficult in terms of traversing the map and exploring it. Verdant Brink is my opinion the best designed map in the game. It is complex enough and has much exploration to be done from both low to high, ground to air, and even things hidden in underground places. VB also feels good to run around in and although it is large and complex enough, it doesn't feel restrictive and confining in the way that Tangled Depths felt. I DO NOT like my maps concerning traversal, to be anywhere near as complex, restrictive or confining as Tangled Depths. Even to this day in 2021 after nearly18 characters who have cleared Tangled Depths, I still find myself getting lost and frustrated each time I visit that map, which is just annoying and always a headache.

I agree 100%. Entering Verdant Brink for the first time was my favorite PvE experience in the game. Trying to survive the night, or beef up our defenses for night was such a community driven excitement, where we all worked together to reach a goal that felt nearly impossible. Watching my friends drift too far from the group and get taken out by some pocket raptors, cause their usual pattern of send in bear pet and let it take aggro wasn't working... Omg take me back to the good times!

And I agree that Tangled Depths was no fun. Barely did that map, it was the worst of the maps imo. Although I don't mind it existing. Dragonstand is my second favorite, Auric Basin is a solid 3rd, and Tangled Depths is just lame. Not even 4th.... haha

How about non annoying? The problem with "difficulty" in this game is it is merely mob trolling and ridiculous mob density. I'll pass on that thanks. With HoT every mob will CC you FIRST THING. So its a gauntlet of constant cripple and knockdown. And with mob density (much worse in PoF) you are essentially avoid the CC spam constantly if you want to by pass anything and just get something done. I am sorry this is not difficulty this is annoyance. And having mobs easily one shot or two shot you is also just more of the same trolling.

EoD needs:

1) Reasonable mob density so you can find a place here and there to park yourself to tab out of the game and look up stuff online. This game demands this sort of approach due to its overly complex way of doing mundane things. And this means mob respawns also need to be more than 15 seconds.

2) Stop the abusive CC mechanics. It seems ANET's difficulty is a one horse show with CC followed by enough damage to essentially kill you while you are incapacitated is the only means by which they know how to make anything "difficult" and for me it shows a severe lack of creativity and talent when this is your go to over and over. Not only that the game becomes over saturated with CC and it loses it's "uniqueness" if every mob can do it.

3) End the The-Floor-is-lava. I want to make a new genre of mmo called "The-floor-is-lava", and GW2 would be the father of the genre. The endless red circle spam with DoTs that kill you inside 3 seconds need to stop. The real issue with the floor is lava krap is you have no idea which red circles (since they are literally everywhere) are really deadly or not so bad and are intended to kind of be "weathered". It gets out of hand and looks quite sad honestly very fast. It's the same with particle effects and special abilities. Because ANET wants to make every ability BLING BLING there is no way visually to determine if the fire effect that one mob is creating is really going to burn you or just singe you. Because God knows you have to BLING BLING every effect no matter how minor.

These are the things that I consider annoying and NOT difficult. Just annoying. And its gets very trolling after awhile and makes the game a chore to play. If ANET was smart they would use mob density, deadly abilities, and CC more sparingly. In this way when you do use it you can tell a story or create a world that has some sense of real danger when warranted and not just have everything from a ant to a dragon be able to CC and kill you. It is a real problem with this game other then the insane damage going to and from players and mobs.

@Eloc Freidon.5692 said:I like it being it's own thing. HoT is focused around groups. PoF tried making it solo friendly. The game needs to make it work for both going forward.

HoT focused on forcing grouping and that was a mistake. PoF didn't focus on solo at all, except in the sense that you use mounts to skip all the fights, 'cause otherwise you'll be stuck on whatever spot you dismounted at for 5 minutes. Everything in PoF was tedious.

Definitely much much much higher than anything and much more unforgiving so nbs learn how to play properly. People even die in almost 6 year old content these days... The game overall needs to be much more difficult and unforgiving as even raid cms are too piss easy and nbs break it by constantly asking to make content easier. If you can't play the game or learn how to play then maybe don't play at all. It's not like we veterans playing since launch want you in our groups.

@Yggranya.5201 said:

@"Eloc Freidon.5692" said:I like it being it's own thing. HoT is focused around groups. PoF tried making it solo friendly. The game needs to make it work for both going forward.

'cause otherwise you'll be stuck on whatever spot you dismounted at for 5 minutes. Everything in PoF was tedious.

That's not a thing in most places of PoF maps tho, so how about not pretending it's true?If someone consistently is "stuck for 5 minutes whenever dismounted", then that's some solid l2p issue on their part, probably after skipping (or getting absolutely carried through) big chunks of what the game offers. I don't think the game should steeply decrease the difficulty level with new releases, that doesn't make sense to me.

• Confused 1

@Sobx.1758 said:

@"Eloc Freidon.5692" said:I like it being it's own thing. HoT is focused around groups. PoF tried making it solo friendly. The game needs to make it work for both going forward.

'cause otherwise you'll be stuck on whatever spot you dismounted at for 5 minutes. Everything in PoF was tedious.

That's not a thing in most places of PoF maps tho, so how about not pretending it's true?If someone consistently is "stuck for 5 minutes whenever dismounted", then that's some solid l2p issue on their part, probably after skipping (or getting absolutely carried through) big chunks of what the game offers. I don't think the game should steeply decrease the difficulty level with new releases, that doesn't make sense to me.

Of course it is a "learn to play" issue...

Let me guess: I'm a "casual" and i'm ruining your "engaging elite challenge" of killing the same enemies 3 times in a row with turbo respawns and extra long aggro range which seems to home in on you as soon as you get within a hundred yards from them? Yeah, talk about dishonest. Doesn't happen everywhere? Well coulda fooled me as it does happen on any spot where you might have a reason to dismount on.

@Yggranya.5201 said:

Let me guess: I'm a "casual" and i'm ruining your "engaging elite challenge" of killing the same enemies 3 times in a row with turbo respawns and extra long aggro range which seems to home in on you as soon as you get within a hundred yards from them? Yeah, talk about dishonest. Doesn't happen everywhere? Well coulda fooled me as it does happen on any spot where you might have a reason to dismount on.

See, you've made some obviously false and purposefully (at least that's how it seems to me, because I think you might have written something similar in another thread some time ago) generalized claim, got called out on it and what follows is you comming out with some randomized assumptions that change nothing about your claim being false. In what way did you even answer to my post here or even related to the initial false claim you've made before?The fact remains that if anyone has a general problem with PoF maps in the form of "not being able to re-mount for 5 minutes whenever they get dismounted" then there's some serious problem with their gameplay they didn't fix on the way to lategame content -be it in the area of some mechanical capabilities, having a decently thought-out build or simply decision making.

• Confused 1

The new expansion should have a higher than HoT difficulty, MUCH MUCH higher than is currently in the game.

The problem with difficulty with the expansions is between:

1. Difficulty arising from maps
  2. Difficulty from monster types , (veteran), (elite), (champions) and amounts, (1 monster) vs (5 monsters)
  3. Difficulty from monster types, (branded hydra vs poison frogs vs sand lions)

The game needs maps that are harder than PoF maps for sure, given that players will be entering EoD with mounts (flying mounts as well!) and gliding and new statted gears like trailblazer and berzerker. The maps needs to be as dangerous as Tangled Depths or Verdant Brinks, with more than 1 layer, the Desolation is the sole PoF map that meets this category I feel with the sulfur lakes and rivers.

For point 2 the game needs to utilize champion monsters less like in HoT and use veteran and elites more and have more numbers of them. I recall the first HP fight I had in PoF with the Bottled Djinn in Crystal Oasis, I opened the bottle and engaged the Djinn who pulled the nearby sand lions, a sand shark, the patrolling forged and the famous veteran hydra... it was like a michael bay movie and I felt amazing having beaten them after 1 or 2 tries.

W.R.T point 3 we also need more monsters with weird abilities, like blinding and the prismatic hydra boss with his 3 kinds of attacks.. there are so many fun and interesting ways to challenge players that don't involve monsters becoming target golems posing no challenge and just soaking up dps like a giant sponge. Use more Djinn or those Awakened bird monster things.

Finally the game needs to punish people who wear glass cannon stats! You cannot have everyone using Zerkers or Vipers and have a healthy game! People have to learn to use defensive weapons like shields and use more non meta stats like Trailblazers or Celestials, open world is its' own thing and it should be respected.

The devs also have to increase the rewards for open world participation that doesn't involve mindless farming.

The difficulty of both PoF and HoT is fine for me - I find them both to be equally challenging, but not too over the top to make combat a drag.

What I could do without is PoF's absolutely ridiculous aggro range. I'd really like to just kill some Forged and not have to deal with the sand lions, dust mites, sand sharks, djinn, Branded, and a hydra who wandered by to see what all the excitement was. I'd also like to be able to run through the PoF maps and not have to zoom through them at top speed on a mount. Despite playing on them for about a year, I feel like I've barely gotten to see those maps because I have to keep constantly moving on my mount just so I don't get knocked off by the aforementioned lions, mites, sharks, djinn, Branded, hydra, harpies, cheetahs, pirates, Awakened, jacarandas, choya, and other various denizens of the desert. (All of whom seriously need anger management lessons.)

@Yggranya.5201 said:

In fact, yes, yes you are given your engagement and comments on these forums.

Now mind you there is nothing bad with being more casual or less interested in game mechanics or even in honing ones skill at this game. The issues arises when one starts making claims which are objectively untrue for any player who has even slightly engaged in actually mastering this games mechanics or improving at this game.

If you are stuck for minutes at a time in PoF areas, then yes, that is a very clear learn to play issue (which can be solved in a multitude of ways in a MMORPG). There is enough information out there for any player to acquire access to even the simplest, high damage, high survival, easy to breeze through any content in this game builds (and no, not the raid meta builds but in fact open world builds which are advertised left and right by now). That is IF a player decides to not experiment, trial and error, learn and improve on their own. Finally one can always bring along friends or guild mates, which should not be that far fetched for an online multiplayer game. There, 3 ways to approach challenging content in this game which all makes sense for any player who engages in MMOs all of which would have made both HoT or PoF a cakewalk.

You're not ruining any ones engagement given this is a subjective topic. You simply lack the experience to backup your claims.

EDIT:and just as a side note: I actively help, encourage and guide new players in this game both from the very ground up, as well as into more challenging content. The last 2 which joined a more casual guild I am part of joined around 8 weeks ago and have had no issue with HoT or PoF and have started playing T1 fractals without issues, steadily improving at the game (and about to start on the IBS now). That is without daily mentoring but just gentle nudges and hints as with what to take a look at or which build might serve them well (elementalist and ranger) for open world once a week or so or when asked. If players who are veterans of multiple years in this game are struggling, well this is not a time issue but rather an approach issue then: in short learn to play.