End of Dragons Development Updates - [Merged]

@Dondarrion.2748 said:My guild(s) are all looking ahead to NW and AoC and preparing for these games because those games are publishing articles that give some insight into what's coming.

New World is a good example, that you can use a lot of money and still make an uninspired game. The game was released, then un-released and put back to beta, than postponed ... last time I checked it looked like a stereotype of other already existing games.

The reason why Anet is so tightlipped about future updates in this game is because so many people treat any information about future additions as unbreakable bloodoaths and will resort to rage and fury if not every random idea ever voiced by a developer has been properly implemented. Even if it was a bad idea or they couldn't make it work.

Hey, I was about to start similar topic on this. EoD is supposed to be released this year? And till now all we get is a couple of CGI videos and images. That's it. There is a very obvious lack of enthusiasm from ANet about EoD. No further announcements, no communications. Meanwhile, LWS has been watered down to boring DRMs, lazy updates of Gem Store items and even WvW relink has to be reminded by players to do it lol Where are the people in ANet? Knock knock, anyone there?

@Tzarakiel.7490 said:The reason why Anet is so tightlipped about future updates in this game is because so many people treat any information about future additions as unbreakable bloodoaths and will resort to rage and fury if not every random idea ever voiced by a developer has been properly implemented. Even if it was a bad idea or they couldn't make it work.

Problem here is they never said it was a bad idea or that they could not make it work they just stay silent and keep head in sand hoping people forget about it.

@Mil.3562 said:Hey, I was about to start similar topic on this. EoD is supposed to be released this year? And till now all we get is a couple of CGI videos and images. That's it. There is a very obvious lack of enthusiasm from ANet about EoD. No further announcements, no communications. Meanwhile, LWS has been watered down to boring DRMs, lazy updates of Gem Store items and even WvW relink has to be reminded by players to do it lol Where are the people in ANet? Knock knock, anyone there?

This the way they have always worked with expansions. No details come out until after the preceding season is done. It's not a lack of enthusiasm, this is just the way they have worked even when Colin was running things. In fact, we've actually got more for this expac so far than we did with PoF and HoT prior to LS2/LS3 ending

@Zok.4956 said:

@Dondarrion.2748 said:My guild(s) are all looking ahead to NW and AoC and preparing for these games because those games
are
publishing articles that give some insight into what's coming.

New World is a good example, that you can use a lot of money and still make an uninspired game. The game was released, then un-released and put back to beta, than postponed ... last time I checked it looked like a stereotype of other already existing games.

I believe you're talking about Crucible being released and then unreleased. Right developer though.

@Arheundel.6451 said:

3)Location of the new expansion like possible locations?

cantha is not very big at least the part explored in gw1 can be fully used in EoDSo shin jea island> kaineng city> eschovald forest> jade sea and probably a 5th map with a dragon battle

Otherwise I think they unfortunately don't have much to tease. It will surely be an extension of the POF level with 4/5 pve maps, elite specialization, a new feature (maybe housing or the tengu race) and a new pvp mode if we are very very positive.So I don't see how they could tease so little content for over a year, 3/4 months (after the end of the saga) are more than enough

With cantha they are sure to attract a lot of fans of the guild wars universe and the title of the expansion suggests the end of the main storyline. So even without big teasing, the extension will be sold very well.This will allow them to have enough money to start a new project to hope that their business survives after gw2.

@Tzarakiel.7490 said:The reason why Anet is so tightlipped about future updates in this game is because so many people treat any information about future additions as unbreakable bloodoaths and will resort to rage and fury if not every random idea ever voiced by a developer has been properly implemented.

Yes, if a few crazy people start screaming, just cut all ties and act like the playerbase doesn't exist. It sure is easy. Until of course that kind of behaviour hurts your sales, then you gotta act like you were always listening, but that's only relevant until the playerbase forgets. Then you can go back to pretending they aren't really there.

The real reason is that they aren't willing to pay someone to pretend that anet is listen to the community. Think of the savings!

Personally I think it'd be better for them to start the Hype building 2/3 months prior to release, every couple of weeks releasing trailers/info. I think it'd be more beneficial to have it be a big lead up with hopefully some proper marketing than info drops throughout the year that wouldn't generate as much buzz outside the gw2 playerbase.

anytime a new MMO comes out with a decent marketing that looks cool we get a lot of posts and people saying that it will kill GW2. So far none have done that. GW2 is unique and has a steady base of customers. They do not need to hype things up so far ahead. In the past they did it too much and couldn't deliver on the promises. I am certain that once champions is concluded, we will start hearing more about EoD.

Look at the massive grinds they are adding into the current releases. It will take 4 months to finish grinding out the t2 dragonslayer weapons. The volcanic weapons have massively low drop rate. Now remember these is still ANOTHER tier of dragonslayer weapons and I predict the next update will add glacial stormcaller weapons at another massively low drop rate. These are tactic to try to keep the players busy long enough to buy them enough time to get enough of the expac presentable. I predict that we still have another 6 month content drought after Aprils final IBS drop, and I can also see the expac not coming out until Q1 2022.

@Randulf.7614 said:

@Mil.3562 said:Hey, I was about to start similar topic on this. EoD is supposed to be released this year? And till now all we get is a couple of CGI videos and images. That's it. There is a very obvious lack of enthusiasm from ANet about EoD. No further announcements, no communications. Meanwhile, LWS has been watered down to boring DRMs, lazy updates of Gem Store items and even WvW relink has to be reminded by players to do it lol Where are the people in ANet? Knock knock, anyone there?

This the way they have always worked with expansions. No details come out until after the preceding season is done. It's not a lack of enthusiasm, this is just the way they have worked even when Colin was running things. In fact, we've actually got more for this expac so far than we did with PoF and HoT prior to LS2/LS3 ending

sure i remember HoT and PoF have lots of specullation about even the name, in really EoD is first time they reveal the xpac name before LW season end.

@Arheundel.6451 said:

@Arheundel.6451 said:Companies like Square Enix can release class info 2 years before the actual expansion drop, Anet instead can release a teaser...of a teaser and after one year no more info. What about?

1)Concept art of new elites? - They are already set in stone now, at the very least you can indicate what each new elite will focus..we don't even need gameplay video

2)Hint for new features....alliances? legendary armor?

4)Monsterpedia?

After one whole year not even a single new info....

How do you know the elites are set in stone? I believe this game has had major profession overhauls mere months before a release. I know it has happened in other MMO’s.

By now the concept and idea behind each elite must be set in stone and this got little to do with actual balance which comes before and after release

I wouldn't assume any of that.

@DarcShriek.5829 said:

@Zok.4956 said:

@Dondarrion.2748 said:My guild(s) are all looking ahead to NW and AoC and preparing for these games because those games
are
publishing articles that give some insight into what's coming.

I believe you're talking about Crucible being released and then unreleased. Right developer though.

Yes, your are correct. I mixed it up a little bit. New World was never publicly released. It was in May 2019 in Alpha stage and went from that back to development stage. After big changes in the game they entered Alpha back in 2020, but there was not much PvE endgame content. It will enter Beta stage in July this year, if it will not be delayed again.

Development takes time. Usually announcements are done AFTER a decent amount of work has already been done.The expansion was apparently a surprise sprung on the devs who were in the middle of working on IBS. The EoD announcement was pretty much made at the point when they just started. Why did they make the announcement so early? Maybe they were required to or maybe to show why IBS was about to have a massive dip in quality.

@Strider Pj.2193 said:At least it’s not 3 years from announcement with concept art to show..

allianceswhen

Well I've been waiting a flying golden pig skin for my griffon ...

On the other hand I also thought a flying cloud was an obvious option for glider and that got released recently so there is still hope. :)

A little friendly competition will only benefit players, 2021, keep an open mind for options, exciting...

2000: World of Warcraft Devs leaves Blizzard to form Triforge (tribute to classic SNES game Zelda)2002: NCsoft acquires Triforge (Arenanet)2005: GW1 releases by ArenanetWoW fans: Boo!GW1 fans: Yay! Innovative! WoW killer!2006: GW1 Factions expansion releases2006: GW1 Nightfall expansion releases2007: GW1 Eye of the north expansion releases2007: GW2 announcedGW1 fans: take your time! Don't rush!2012: GW2 Releases2015: GW2 Expansion Heart of ThornsGW1 fans: Mechanics update? Alliances? Cantha?GW2 fans: What's Cantha?2017: GW2 Expansion Path of FireGW1 fans: Mechanics update? Alliances? Cantha?GW2 fans: Boo! No GW1!2018/2019: Arenanet LayoffsGW1 fans: Worried...Alliances? Cantha?GW2 fans: Boo! No! No GW1!2019: GW2 former GW1/GW2 Devs leaves for Relentless studios2019: Amazon cancels Crucible by Relentless studiosGW1 fans: ...GW2 fans: Boo! Told ya!2019: New World Announced (yes steam launch)2020: GW2 End of Dragons Announced (no steam launch)2020: Crucible team (former GW1/GW2 Devs) merged into New World teamGW1 fans: Yay! Innovative! Worried...Cantha?GW2 fans: Boo! No GW1!NW fans: take your time! Don't rush!2021: ...

*Pattern forming here? Competition? More option for players? And oddly enough...

2019-2020:

GW1/GW2 Fans: Alliances? Balanced PvP endgame?NW: 50 vs 50 WarGW1/GW2 Fans: PvE?NW: Invasion (defend against hordes)GW1/GW2 Fans: Siege style Fort Aspenwood/Jade Quarry like in GW1? (3 teams of 4 per side)NW: here you go, 20 vs 20 Outpost rush (4 teams of 5 per side)GW1/GW2 Fans: Dungeons/raids?NW: Oh look...ExpeditionsGW1/GW2 Fans: Crafting? Cantha? Factions?NW: Hold my beer...

JZ0Ckjc.png

I get it, most MMOs release an expansion every year but that's because these games are mantained by far bigger companies. Take for example, as mentioned before, Square Enix or Blizzard (or even Zenimax/Bethesda). All of these are far bigger and richer companies/developers than ArenaNet. The studio responsible for GW2 is actually very small compared to these giants. Also I'd rather wait longer for good content than waiting less and getting something unfinished and a product that doesn't keep its promises. Sure, Anet hasn't really kept that much promises too with things regarding the newest Icebrood Saga but it's still less worse than what huge developers these days do so at least it's one of the very very few developers you can still trust and I hope that it will stay that way considering how one of the most trusted game developers (you know who) are now losing their good reputation and even got hacked and source code stolen. I know the latter isn't MMO related but it's a main issue within gaming these days that also affects companies like Blizzard as it isn't what it was anymore too.

@Mungo Zen.9364 said:

@Arheundel.6451 said:Companies like Square Enix can release class info 2 years before the actual expansion drop, Anet instead can release a teaser...of a teaser and after one year no more info. What about?

1)Concept art of new elites? - They are already set in stone now, at the very least you can indicate what each new elite will focus..we don't even need gameplay video

4)Monsterpedia?

How do you know the elites are set in stone? I believe this game has had major profession overhauls mere months before a release. I know it has happened in other MMO’s.

Release of concept art is enough to get people pumped! Even if its subject to change, its content for players to hype up about.

Look at FFXIV, they announced their expansion and slammed in the new class in the announcement right away, sure they have probably got more content to work with that they can show... but something is better than nothing.

Anet needs to pull out that proverbial thumb out and start building the hype else the expansion could be as good as dead/dying on launch with only the current active players buying it but no returning or new customers.

@Smoosh.2718 said:

@"Arheundel.6451" said:Companies like Square Enix can release class info 2 years before the actual expansion drop, Anet instead can release a teaser...of a teaser and after one year no more info. What about?

4)Monsterpedia?

Release of concept art is enough to get people pumped! Even if its subject to change, its content for players to hype up about.

This community doesn't do "subject to change".