My MASSIVE pet gripe with being dead

Oxstar.7643

You can create your own playlists and have the game play those instead of the game music. You create a folder named Music in Documents\Guild Wars 2 (where the Screenshots folder is if you take pictures), put a playlist you can create on most media players, give it proper name and voila the game will play that music.

Unfortunately the playlists available aren't in any way comprehensive. For example, you can't have separate lists for the different zones, or cities, it was a suggestion back at release to improve this feature but it never happened. As for the thread's topic, the playlist you are looking for is called "Defeated", make your own playlist with that name, put it in the Music folder and you will listen to that instead of the vanilla sound.

You can find more information/details on the wiki:https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Customized_soundtrack

It's like the game thinks it can just smooth over what just happened with some calming music. I don't want to be soothed, smoothed, or calmed, I want to get up, as you said, and take revenge. To me it's a musical way of saying "it's no big deal, relax". It is a big deal to me and I will NOT relax. Yep, might sound childish but that's how it is to me. Music is different to people. What it is to us is individual and hence it's "in your mind" for EVERYONE.

@"maddoctor.2738" said:You can create your own playlists and have the game play those instead of the game music. You create a folder named Music in Documents\Guild Wars 2 (where the Screenshots folder is if you take pictures), put a playlist you can create on most media players, give it proper name and voila the game will play that music.

Unfortunately the playlists available aren't in any way comprehensive. For example, you can't have separate lists for the different zones, or cities, it was a suggestion back at release to improve this feature but it never happened. As for the thread's topic, the playlist you are looking for is called "Defeated", make your own playlist with that name, put it in the Music folder and you will listen to that instead of the vanilla sound.

You can find more information/details on the wiki:https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Customized_soundtrack

Oh god. The possibilities. :oI. Now I have so many thoughts.

@KidRoleplay.3615 said:There's a way to make a custom ingame playlist that's shown somewhere on the wiki, which even includes what plays on death. I've never done it but found the possibility neat once I heard of it. Perhaps someone more enlightened than I can link you to it.Custom playlist options do indeed exist, but are extremely limited. It's not very useful if you only want to replace few specific music tracks but don't want to change the rest.

@"Oxstar.7643" said:"Yep, might sound childish but that's how it is to me. Music is different to people. What it is to us is individual and hence it's "in your mind" for EVERYONE."

The first step to acceptance....Least you know it. Suggest turning the music off, switching to some decaf or herbal tea, and yes it's only you who finds it condescending and takes it personally.

@"Oxstar.7643" said:It's like the game thinks it can just smooth over what just happened with some calming music. I don't want to be soothed, smoothed, or calmed, I want to get up, as you said, and take revenge. To me it's a musical way of saying "it's no big deal, relax". It is a big deal to me and I will NOT relax. Yep, might sound childish but that's how it is to me. Music is different to people. What it is to us is individual and hence it's "in your mind" for EVERYONE.

Sure, but that's not somehow "condescending" by default. The music can be more energetic when you're in combat, why would it stay the same when you've died? :D It's not condescending, it's fitting the situation you're currently in. It would be pretty weird to have nothing changed after the huge dynamic change between fighting and... you know... not fighting, which is what you definitely do while staying on the ground. It's as if you had a problem with happy music in one of the main cities "because you've just finished fighting that huge monster and now the game pretends you didn't!". Nobody's pretending anything or being condescending, you're just in a different scenario. When you're dead, you're not in combat, so the change of theme is just fitting.

• Confused 1

@"maddoctor.2738" said:You can create your own playlists and have the game play those instead of the game music. You create a folder named Music in Documents\Guild Wars 2 (where the Screenshots folder is if you take pictures), put a playlist you can create on most media players, give it proper name and voila the game will play that music.

Don’t know why the thread is still ongoing. This post should have #/thread.

@"Oxstar.7643" said:The ambient music is the most condescending, infuriating thing I have ever heard.

Oh, if it were up to me, your death would instead play The Price Is Right - Losing Horn, the Super Mario Brothers death theme, or that short bit in Family Guy when the fat guy falls over while Stewie has a trumpet/tuba, whatever the eff. This would just be the side benefit to having sound customization.

Also, by "your", I'm not referring to the entire playerbase. I mean literally only you, since you're the only person to fabricate some reason to complain about video game death music.

@XenoSpyro.1780 said:

@"Oxstar.7643" said:The ambient music is the most condescending, infuriating thing I have ever heard.

Oh, if it were up to me, your death would instead play The Price Is Right - Losing Horn, the Super Mario Brothers death theme, or that short bit in Family Guy when the fat guy falls over while Stewie has a trumpet/tuba, whatever the eff. This would just be the side benefit to having sound customization.

Also, by "your", I'm not referring to the entire playerbase. I mean literally only you, since you're the only person to fabricate some reason to complain about video game death music.

"Fabricate"Yes, that's what OPINIONS are. Thank you for pointing out the obvious, hope it made you feel better.

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

You can find more information/details on the wiki:

Don’t know why the thread is still ongoing. This post should have #/thread.

Because there's some people who think they are being funny by saying "don't die lol". Which in itself is a more hysterical fact than probably anything they could come up with.

@"XenoSpyro.1780" said:

If you ever find a way to do that, let me know. That would crack me up so much. I would actually put it on speaker so my husband could hear it, yeet off a cliff, and let him hear The Price is Right Losing horn. XD (probably followed up with said husband making the sad "wonk wonk wonk" noise and making me laugh harder.

On topic, if this were a wide-spread problem, I suspect they might make the "death" music part of ambient sound, maybe.

@XenoSpyro.1780 said:

@"Oxstar.7643" said:Yes, that's what OPINIONS are.Your 'opinion' boils down to artificially generating BS outrage to [checks notes]... get triggered at video game music. This is why I used the term 'fabricate'. This is textbook keyboard warrior behavior. What you ought to do instead is 1) Get over it 2) Get over yourself

What are you even talking about? Like I made crystal clear, it's JUST ME. That is why the "pet" part is there. Then you come and tell me it's BS, like I have to pass your criteria?I really don't get you. Also, what's with the "keyboard warrior" remark? You're the one coming at me dude.All that aside, thanks everyone for letting me know about the playlist. Very cool.