End of Dragons Development Updates - [Merged]

@Sigmoid.7082 said:

@"Arheundel.6451" said:Companies like Square Enix can release class info 2 years before the actual expansion drop, Anet instead can release a teaser...of a teaser and after one year no more info. What about?

1)Concept art of new elites? - They are already set in stone now, at the very least you can indicate what each new elite will focus..we don't even need gameplay video

2)Hint for new features....alliances? legendary armor?

3)Location of the new expansion like possible locations?

4)Monsterpedia?

After one whole year not even a single new info....

How do you know the elites are set in stone? I believe this game has had major profession overhauls mere months before a release. I know it has happened in other MMO’s.

Release of concept art is enough to get people pumped! Even if its subject to change, its content for players to hype up about.

This community doesn't do "subject to change".

I suppose you mean the Devs dont when they changed the traits to 300s... since that actually was 'subject to change'. When you say 'This community' you do not speak for all of us. I for one welcome any change that is made that may or may not change the way you play or prepare for an expansion. Anets been rather dry on information about this expansion for a very long time.

@Smoosh.2718 said:

@"Arheundel.6451" said:Companies like Square Enix can release class info 2 years before the actual expansion drop, Anet instead can release a teaser...of a teaser and after one year no more info. What about?

1)Concept art of new elites? - They are already set in stone now, at the very least you can indicate what each new elite will focus..we don't even need gameplay video

2)Hint for new features....alliances? legendary armor?

3)Location of the new expansion like possible locations?

4)Monsterpedia?

After one whole year not even a single new info....

How do you know the elites are set in stone? I believe this game has had major profession overhauls mere months before a release. I know it has happened in other MMO’s.

Release of concept art is enough to get people pumped! Even if its subject to change, its content for players to hype up about.

This community doesn't do "subject to change".

I suppose you mean the Devs dont when they changed the traits to 300s... since that actually was 'subject to change'.Not really...but in all reality its likely still being worked on, just being worked into the current design of new e-specs so they don't fall into the same hole again and have to essentially disable traits. If you have limited resources you try to avoid technical debt not haphazardly accrue it. Same as with each expansion we have had so far I expect there to be a fairly large pre-balance patch that changes things in preparation.

When you say 'This community' you do not speak for all of us. I for one welcome any change that is made that may or may not change the way you play or prepare for an expansion. Anets been rather dry on information about this expansion for a very long time.No I don't speak for the whole community but by and large we're very unforgiving and demanding, as most consumers tend to be. At times rightfully so. More than once this community has fallen victim to "be careful what you wish for". I mean the current state of threads like this I feel is a case in point.

I wish you could bottle marketing classes into a quick paragraph.

One of the simplest ways of making a sale is to hype the item and then immediately put it into a persons hand. The hype isn't for players who are already going to buy the expansion, it's for the players who are on the fence or have never heard of the game.

This isn't like a subscription service where you are trying to maintain a customer base every month. Subscription games need a reason to keep hyping the game to avoid losing players. This expansion will be a one time purchase, and teasing it aggressively would potentially waste the hype they are building if there is no product forthcoming.

Why would a company hype the product with no way to capitalize on that marketing? I would anticipate that when they start announcing the expansion features there will also be a way to pre-order it with a launch date within a few months.

People saying Anet will make reveals when they got a ready product...

... But not considering that people are dissapointed in this silence from the company, because even when that reveal happens, it is possible that we will not receive said product as intended?

Basically, the sooner they say some stuff, ideally getting an opinion from the community to make changes before final release, the more issues may be solved.

But since this ain't happening, the probability of receiving a product with issues is high. At this point, I personally don't care, but people should also not be negative towards those who want to see what they invest their time and money in.

Only reason the announcement was made early was because IBS started doing bad, covid appeared, sales obviously dropped since economies collapsed and Anet had to push that red emergency button to keep the few customers it has. The promise of an expansion.

@Grand Marshal.4098 said:Basically, the sooner they say some stuff, ideally getting an opinion from the community to make changes before final release, the more issues may be solved.But since this ain't happening, the probability of receiving a product with issues is high.

Of course, because everyone's opinion is different. Something someone's sees as an issue could be a complete non-issue to someone else, even a benefit. Its literally impossible to please everyone.

Personally, more info would do very little for me at this stage. I know content can get stale and it's great to have something to look forward to, but the only thing we really need to know is that there is an expansion looming for us to enjoy. If anything, the only info I'd like is a prospective time period that the expansion plans to drop during (Q3 of 2021 or w/e). Obviously that can change if issues arise, but it gives you an idea of how long you'll be waiting to enjoy the content.

@"woops.1268" said:A little friendly competition will only benefit players, 2021, keep an open mind for options, exciting...

2000: World of Warcraft Devs leaves Blizzard to form Triforge (tribute to classic SNES game Zelda)2002: NCsoft acquires Triforge (Arenanet)2005: GW1 releases by ArenanetWoW fans: Boo!GW1 fans: Yay! Innovative! WoW killer!2006: GW1 Factions expansion releases2006: GW1 Nightfall expansion releases2007: GW1 Eye of the north expansion releases2007: GW2 announcedGW1 fans: take your time! Don't rush!2012: GW2 Releases2015: GW2 Expansion Heart of ThornsGW1 fans: Mechanics update? Alliances? Cantha?GW2 fans: What's Cantha?2017: GW2 Expansion Path of FireGW1 fans: Mechanics update? Alliances? Cantha?GW2 fans: Boo! No GW1!2018/2019: Arenanet LayoffsGW1 fans: Worried...Alliances? Cantha?GW2 fans: Boo! No! No GW1!2019: GW2 former GW1/GW2 Devs leaves for Relentless studios2019: Amazon cancels Crucible by Relentless studiosGW1 fans: ...GW2 fans: Boo! Told ya!2019: New World Announced (yes steam launch)2020: GW2 End of Dragons Announced (no steam launch)2020: Crucible team (former GW1/GW2 Devs) merged into New World teamGW1 fans: Yay! Innovative! Worried...Cantha?GW2 fans: Boo! No GW1!NW fans: take your time! Don't rush!2021: ...

*Pattern forming here? Competition? More option for players? And oddly enough...

2019-2020:

GW1/GW2 Fans: Alliances? Balanced PvP endgame?NW: 50 vs 50 WarGW1/GW2 Fans: PvE?NW: Invasion (defend against hordes)GW1/GW2 Fans: Siege style Fort Aspenwood/Jade Quarry like in GW1? (3 teams of 4 per side)NW: here you go, 20 vs 20 Outpost rush (4 teams of 5 per side)GW1/GW2 Fans: Dungeons/raids?NW: Oh look...ExpeditionsGW1/GW2 Fans: Crafting? Cantha? Factions?NW: Hold my beer...

JZ0Ckjc.png

You've been heavily drinking the NW kool-aid my friend. I love your predictions for a game which has not even released yet and not even survived the release issues many MMORPGs face once they actually do release. All backed up by mediocre betas and multiple delays. Man, to be this young and naive again and get hyped for the next god MMO.

Here is my prediction for NW: it's going to get delayed again. Basis? Their track record of delaying the launch and probably having to put at least 1 more open beta in IF they want to ship a decent product (an actual beta which they can work off of, not some free advertisement fake beta).

@Shadowmoon.7986 said:These are tactic to try to keep the players busy long enough to buy them enough time to get enough of the expac presentable.

They seem to be trying to hedge theirs bets with the slow release schedule and massive weapon grinds. I'm afraid it looks like its not working because thats assuming us, the players, WANT to grind weapon skins in the first place. Going through all this trouble for a glacial or fire-infused weapon is a bit lost on me.

@Mungo Zen.9364 said:I wish you could bottle marketing classes into a quick paragraph.

One of the simplest ways of making a sale is to hype the item and then immediately put it into a persons hand. The hype isn't for players who are already going to buy the expansion, it's for the players who are on the fence or have never heard of the game.

This isn't like a subscription service where you are trying to maintain a customer base every month. Subscription games need a reason to keep hyping the game to avoid losing players. This expansion will be a one time purchase, and teasing it aggressively would potentially waste the hype they are building if there is no product forthcoming.

Why would a company hype the product with no way to capitalize on that marketing? I would anticipate that when they start announcing the expansion features there will also be a way to pre-order it with a launch date within a few months.

This pretty much answers it in full

@Sigmoid.7082 said:

@"Grand Marshal.4098" said:Basically, the sooner they say some stuff, ideally getting an opinion from the community to make changes before final release, the more issues may be solved.But since this ain't happening, the probability of receiving a product with issues is high.

Of course, because everyone's opinion is different. Something someone's sees as an issue could be a complete non-issue to someone else, even a benefit. Its literally impossible to please everyone.

Not talking about story bits or what can only appeal to the eye, rather, mechanics and how the game functions. To prevent more bugs from apppearing in this old engine, player testing should be a thing. Yes, opinions differ, but trying to release a complete expansion is objectively the goal. For what it's worth, even when EoD gets release, we will probably be given the excuse of yet another time crunch which forced poor implementation of new features.

You don't have to please everyone. But that's not an excuse for not going after "perfection". I really hope EoD is gonna be good in all aspects, don't get me wrong.

@Cynder.2509 said:I get it, most MMOs release an expansion every year but that's because these games are mantained by far bigger companies. Take for example, as mentioned before, Square Enix or Blizzard (or even Zenimax/Bethesda). All of these are far bigger and richer companies/developers than ArenaNet. The studio responsible for GW2 is actually very small compared to these giants.

Arenanet is a wholly owned subsidiary of NCsoft, which is the Blizzard of Korea.Not a small indie dev

I don't think they intend for everyone to be able to complete all grindy collections / skin sets before the next expansion gets released. Though they probably serve as a nice reaseon for older players to still play that content once the later stuff (expansion) gets released. Personally I like this setup - where you can finish most of the stuff in a reasonable amount of time. (Atm I'm playing old content ... season 4. And I use 1-2 weeks per chapter and do most of the stuff there ... except some weapon skin sets that take a bit grind of the materials.)

Better than having all the skins available prettty easy but then with other hardcore achievements. (Would scare away a lot of players if the majority of story achievements were pretty hard.)

Maybe they will time the expansion release around the anniversary date. To get a lof of players to buy it at full price + also selling gems for the discounted store stuff. (Though this might technically also lead to less sales if people do not have that much money at once. So either a bit earlier or a bit later. + there are other festivals as "content" and a lof of them in summer I think. Dragon Bash and Festival of the Four Winds.)

@Arheundel.6451 said:1)Concept art of new elites?we already know about new warrior elite spec and that is come in nearest icebrood saga patch

2)Hint for new features....alliances? legendary armory?alliances I am sure useless, but legendary armory get anonce and will be soon. This or next year.

3)Location of the new expansion like possible locations?how it can help to you?

4)Monsterpedia?main part on community for that. What do you do for that yourself?

now we have drm, so we need at fisrt close current azure and grimson collections, this is 216510 Prismaticite Crystalthis is 16000 Prismaticite Crystals fro last to collections .. also 162*2 to buy recipetotal sum 1664 Prismaticite Crystals! WE have content for long time. And say, where is EoD, till not done this collecton is wrong way

Also don't forget Volcanic Stormcaller Armaments Collector - current price 2553 gold.So time to play and get fun :+1:

@lare.5129 said:

@Arheundel.6451 said:1)Concept art of new elites?we already know about new warrior elite spec and that is come in nearest icebrood saga patch

2)Hint for new features....alliances? legendary armory?alliances I am sure useless, but legendary armory get anonce and will be soon. This or next year.

4)Monsterpedia?main part on community for that. What do you do for that yourself?

Wait what ? New warrior elite spec ? Where ?

@Ledha.9640 said:

Wait what ? New warrior elite spec ? Where ?

No elite specs have been announced.

@lare.5129 said:

@Randulf.7614 said:Wait the video above done by a streamer and not Anet?ofc streamer. I don't see any reason for Anet hype on every change to produce hype.Do we have patch announce from February 15 where we get Bonus event, and many other stuff ? No ? Why? because this is normal way.

Content doesn’t get announced by streamers - that is not normal lol

The feb 16th bonus event was announced by Anet on their release page last month

We will get elite spec info direct from Anet when the time is ready. Like we always do. Including the warrior one ;)