Price fixing in Market Mystic Coins

@valhalahunter.9863 said:Is Anet going to do something about this BLATANT price fixing. This is making an unfair experience to everyone that doesn't have DEEP pockets. A few of the top, Pieces of unidentified gear, all three flavors and this one is beyond unacceptable... Mystic coins. I think you should put a cap on these prices, so they can't be sold higher(which is only fair since it is unfair right now) or find what guild or group of people doing this and suspend their accounts. I have never been on to complain, but come on, I just want an even playing field like everyone else. Mystic coins LOCKED at 2G-420073 ordered. This isn't a supply and demand issue.

You are arguing to have control of their property taken away from others so that you can benefit....and you have the audacity to speak of fairness?

@Will.9785 said:I agree that something needs to be done. Its blatant market manipulation by 1 or 2 guilds with very rich players (i.e. hundreds of thousands of gold).

This is harmful to the game in the long run. A new player would instantly be turned off by this if they wanted to go for a legendary. It puts what is already a daunting task for many players even further out of reach. Many may not find it worth the effort and leave the game. People need long term goals like this to stay invested in the game but they need to be reasonably within reach. The carrot on the stick approach only works if the person chasing the carrot actually believes they can get it.

A price of 2-3 gold is not fine. You need around 500 for gen 2 legendaries. That's over 1k gold JUST for the coins.

Even if you feel like 2-3 gold is fine, at what point does it start to become a problem? Because it can/will reach 3-5 gold before you know it given the manipulation we are seeing right now.

Participating in the market is not market manipulation.

Are there any other items in the game that have continued to gain value over the past 3-5 years the same way as MC?

At a cursory glance I am seeing that most items have become cheaper over time until they flatline. Some items have notable swings up or down due to seasonal events or new content requiring specific mats or items be used, but generally most appear to be stable.

The interesting thought about MC is that they have nearly doubled in price from last year at this time, which is the greatest inflation over the past 5 years (when looking year over year). As well the post Wintersday period is usually a decline for MC but this year it kept going up to it's current position.

I would think, given how Anet has recently changed the drop rate for various Infusions that were super rare and overpriced as a result, that they would also monitor this situation. I doubt they would do anything yet as this is still relatively early for this new trend of continual growth, but perhaps later in the year we will hear something from them.

Lastly, a thought on why this could be happening. This could be a result of players pre-purchasing and holding mass quantities of MC for new Legendary items that might come with the Expac. Not saying they will use these for themselves as I am sure there are some prospectors out there waiting for the crest, but it wouldn't surprise me if there are many hundreds or thousands of MC being held by players just to work on whatever Legendaries are coming with EoD.

What i heard about the MC price increase is: There was a guy (the riched Gw2 player 13.000.000 Gold) called out for RMT(what get never confirmed) from other traders, because of that he lost some of his connections to the grey market and other traders. He want to show his power, so he crash the Chak and Confetti Infusion price for one day down to like 5k and set a buy order of 200.000k of MCS. Some poeple say he has over 100 alt accounts, so he would get 2000 MCs per months from daily login rewards.If it would be a normal demand, why are there over 400k of buy orders @ exectly 2 gold. If i need MC right now would go for 2.01 Gold etc. , because the 400k will maybe not even fill up in 1 year. The only other reason would be it would not be worth(nop profit) it to buy Mcs for 2.01 Gold, maybe someone can explain that to me. Seems to me like a fake demand. Why 1 to10 people should fake a demand, if they not want manipulate someone or something.Even if he lost some of his trade partners after his RMT call out, he/they could easily buy this 200k-400k MCs on the grey market if he/they want, if he/they would really have the demand on this MCs.Normally on the grey market you sell stuff for 0,85-1 of the sell order price. Most of the case 0,9 or higher it depens on the item. Right now on the grey market MCs sell for 2 Gold, most of the time this is over 0,96 sell order price. So he gets most of the time 11% more value from his own MC and he gets probably more then 2k MCs per month. Most of the rich people in Gw2 have gold value parked in legys, as some says befor legy price decrease over the years. If now the MC price rise, they gold value parked in legys is stable or maybe will increase.

@Mungo Zen.9364 said:Are there any other items in the game that have continued to gain value over the past 3-5 years the same way as MC?

At a cursory glance I am seeing that most items have become cheaper over time until they flatline. Some items have notable swings up or down due to seasonal events or new content requiring specific mats or items be used, but generally most appear to be stable.

The interesting thought about MC is that they have nearly doubled in price from last year at this time, which is the greatest inflation over the past 5 years (when looking year over year). As well the post Wintersday period is usually a decline for MC but this year it kept going up to it's current position.

I would think, given how Anet has recently changed the drop rate for various Infusions that were super rare and overpriced as a result, that they would also monitor this situation. I doubt they would do anything yet as this is still relatively early for this new trend of continual growth, but perhaps later in the year we will hear something from them.

Lastly, a thought on why this could be happening. This could be a result of players pre-purchasing and holding mass quantities of MC for new Legendary items that might come with the Expac. Not saying they will use these for themselves as I am sure there are some prospectors out there waiting for the crest, but it wouldn't surprise me if there are many hundreds or thousands of MC being held by players just to work on whatever Legendaries are coming with EoD.

Yes, Memories of Battle are currently twice as expensive as they were a year ago, but this is also tied to when the legendary ring Conflux came out last March, which required a large sum of memories, but the side effect was that buying memories for all other WvW ascended weapons and armor became twice as expensive if you're long on skirmish tickets and short on memories and don't want to wait for them...you only earn 104 memories per week if you finish Diamond tier in the skirmish reward track, and another 15 per WvW reward track whenever you complete the 2nd and 22nd stages, yet need 250 per ascended item along with the requisite number of skirmish tickets.

@Super Hayes.6890 said:Literally every player that logs in gets these coins for free. Multiply that by the game's population and you have a HUGE supply without even considering the other acquisition methods. I have a hard time believing this item is being manipulated the way the OP claims.

If it is ... the people doing it are not that smart to begin with. Considering it's taken them YEARS to drive up the price to a measely 2 gold ... that's a MASSIVE market manipulation FAIL!

@Eloc Freidon.5692 said:Mystic coins have deflated and inflated between 90s and 2g since I started playing. It isn't fixed. It changes based on demand. Expect it to explode in value if they introduce anything that uses more.

Wait, you are telling me that an announcement which made a lot of veteran players start crafting legendary items, or even worse, an actual legendary armory which would make legendary items even more desired can have an effect on a commodities value in game? Especially as a majority of other required materials drop in value, thus reducing the current cost in crafting of said items below an established price point encourages acquisition even more?

How dare you approach this issue with rational assumptions? The market is clearly manipulated by select individuals which understand supply and demand. /s

@Sylvyn.4750 said:

@Mungo Zen.9364 said:Are there any other items in the game that have continued to gain value over the past 3-5 years the same way as MC?

Yes, Memories of Battle are currently twice as expensive as they were a year ago, but this is also tied to when the legendary ring Conflux came out last March, which required a large sum of memories, but the side effect was that buying memories for all other WvW ascended weapons and armor became twice as expensive if you're long on skirmish tickets and short on memories and don't want to wait for them...you only earn 104 memories per week if you finish Diamond tier in the skirmish reward track, and another 15 per WvW reward track whenever you complete the 2nd and 22nd stages, yet need 250 per ascended item along with the requisite number of skirmish tickets.

And the price has not come back down, as the supply in the market is currently relatively scarce: there is essentially one way (WvW) to acquire them without purchasing from the TP.

@Hannelore.8153 said:Mystic Coins price fixing is because they're used in grey-market trades to bypass the 500g transfer limit.

There is a simple solution for that: MC's must not be mailed or stored in guild-banks (or only very limited, it simply has no sense to restrict gold to 500per week but allow unlimited MC mailing) but only traded via TP. But be aware that this very likely trash the MC price, do you really want that?

@Will.9785 said:I agree that something needs to be done. Its blatant market manipulation by 1 or 2 guilds with very rich players (i.e. hundreds of thousands of gold).

Sorry, this is non-sense. Every player gets 20 per 28 days, just for login in. How many accounts actively login into GW2? Let's say 200k (100k in EU, 100k in NA).To just buy the monthly login production of MC's you need 8 million gold per month ;) I am in doubt that many guilds are that rich in cash ;) And even if they are, nice that they bring their money under the people.

As legendaries are pure luxury, a more adequate view is: The higher the MC price is, the more money have the rich to spend to everyone, i.e. the more free login value everyone get per month.

While Market manipulation does occur, in the case of this item, it is organic supply and demand. Every account who bought any of the games/expansions receive themfrom daily trickles. Other means of acquisition are few and far between, meaning that item is rare by definition and thus worth it's price.

@"Eloc Freidon.5692" said:Mystic coins have deflated and inflated between 90s and 2g since I started playing. It isn't fixed. It changes based on demand. Expect it to explode in value if they introduce anything that uses more.

I think OP meant it as in "price fixing", meaning, players who have most of the coins manipulate or "fix" the price. Not that the price is always "fixed" as in "the same".

@"Eloc Freidon.5692" said:Mystic coins have deflated and inflated between 90s and 2g since I started playing. It isn't fixed. It changes based on demand.While there are indeed some shortterm dips and spikes in the MC price, the overall longterm trend is visibly upward. It's not level. And before you say "inflation", i'll add that this trend is also upward if you compare it to the market as a whole. There's very, very few commodities on the market with such a longterm steady one-direction trend.

@Sobx.1758 said:

@valhalahunter.9863 said:I have never been on to complain, but come on, I just want an even playing field like everyone else.Mystic Coin prices are the same on the TP for everyone.How is this not even?

Still waiting for OP to answer to this post, because I'm curious what exactly he meant.You won't get one.The OP could just just as easily of recognized that Anet added new massive faucets for the majority of components for legendary weapons other than MC's over the past year then acknowledged the natural effect this has had on the price.But it's much better point to some sort of shadowy cabal to obfuscate your avarice over digital weapons.