Underused professions

Antik.7486

Hello,i'm an old player who wants to get back into PvP and WvW. Last time i played a lot was just before HoT was released. I always like running professions that aren't popular, so who's are the underdogs of this meta? I used to play Necro, which ironically seems the strongest class these days from what i've seen.

Necro has always been a fairly strong class in PvP. Honestly all the classes except Mesmer are in a fairly good place if played effectively for their role. Play what you want though (except Mesmer,) all about the fun.Mesmer got hit with some pretty big nerfs and is generally considered a hinderance on the team. A really good Mesmer can still hold its own though, but requires much more skill to be effective against a mediocre player of another class. Really most of it depends on skill for any class, I've seen so many bad "meta" players.

@"LuRkEr.9462" said:Necro has always been a fairly strong class in PvP. Honestly all the classes except Mesmer are in a fairly good place if played effectively for their role. Play what you want though (except Mesmer,) all about the fun.Mesmer got hit with some pretty big nerfs and is generally considered a hinderance on the team. A really good Mesmer can still hold its own though, but requires much more skill to be effective against a mediocre player of another class. Really most of it depends on skill for any class, I've seen so many bad "meta" players.

I see, but in terms of what you experience when you go to PvP, what are the classes you basically expect to see every second game?

i haven't been playing much so this list might be a little off.classes/ specs that are under represented:core elecore war sorta, berserkerdruiddeadeyecore engimesmer any spec (mirage is still fairly common but a fraction of the threat it used to be)core rev

all in all diversity is better then it used to be. damage nerf helped in this way.

@Stand The Wall.6987 said:i haven't been playing much so this list might be a little off.classes/ specs that are under represented:core elecore war sorta, berserkerdruiddeadeyecore engimesmer any spec (mirage is still fairly common but a fraction of the threat it used to be)core rev

all in all diversity is better then it used to be. damage nerf helped in this way.

I'm very interested in playing either rev or engi.

@"LuRkEr.9462" said:Necro has always been a fairly strong class in PvP.

He is an "old" player, Necro wasn't always "fairly strong" in PvP pre HoT.

@Antik.7486 said:I see, but in terms of what you experience when you go to PvP, what are the classes you basically expect to see every second game?

At the moment, odds are that you'll encounter guardians, necromancers, revenants and a warriors. The other professions will tend to be more scarce, thought neither totally absent nor all far from being able to take the spotlight (so you can basically chose from elementalist, engineer, mesmer, ranger and thief).

@Antik.7486 said:Hello,i'm an old player who wants to get back into PvP and WvW. Last time i played a lot was just before HoT was released. I always like running professions that aren't popular, so who's are the underdogs of this meta? I used to play Necro, which ironically seems the strongest class these days from what i've seen.

Effort=Less Popular, just pick the hardest class/spec for you to play...that's the less popular

@"Stand The Wall.6987" said:mesmer any spec (mirage is still fairly common but a fraction of the threat it used to be)Since the OP did also mention WvW:

Mirage (power and condi) is extremely strong in WvW. Endurance rune and food is mandatory, but with both there is absolutely no excuse for sucking with the spec.

And mirage didn't used to be a "threat". It used to be completely broken with 5 seconds of evasion while dishing out absurd damage and afterwards having thief like disengage capability.

@Stand The Wall.6987 said:i haven't been playing much so this list might be a little off.classes/ specs that are under represented:core elecore war sorta, berserkerdruiddeadeyecore engimesmer any spec (mirage is still fairly common but a fraction of the threat it used to be)core rev

DE isn't under-represented at all. Revenants obliterate them. DH can hold vs them indefinitely.

Necros are over powering in PVP. It is no fun getting swamped by Necro NPCs. Anet need adjustment like put slowness on those Necro monsters, depowering, limit their spawn and respawn time, etc etc. There is alot that anet can do here.

On occasion there can be like 2 necro player on same team, and then 10 monsters swamp the arena. Would be doable if their poweress is reduced, are less mobile, etc. These monsters march so quick and have some decent defence. Pls do something Anet

@medivh.4725 said:Necros are over powering in PVP. It is no fun getting swamped by Necro NPCs. Anet need adjustment like put slowness on those Necro monsters, depowering, limit their spawn and respawn time, etc etc. There is alot that anet can do here.

On occasion there can be like 2 necro player on same team, and then 10 monsters swamp the arena. Would be doable if their poweress is reduced, are less mobile, etc. These monsters march so quick and have some decent defence. Pls do something Anet

Wait until you see raid boss WvW core necro.

Going from heavy to light...

Firebrand: this class got enough nerfs to where it is still very effective when played well but there are easier support options that, while not as effective, are far easier to play than firebrand. Mastering this class and playing in games will shock people and move them to complain about you on the forums.

Berserker: the hardest warrior to play because it requires avoiding key skills rather than sustaining through it all because you lack the tools to do so in exchange for ridiculous levels of damage. There's good build variety in berserker too for teamfighting builds. Though like reaper, you may want to play with a support as your lack of easy sustain like core and spellbreaker will hurt badly when focused.

Revenant: Honestly I wouldn't play core revenant. Revenant overall is a rushed and badly designed spec where you are forced into one or two overpowered builds under the elite specializations while core was neglected due to never having existed before elite specializations.

Druid: Druid is a niche choice due to all of the nerfs because of how insanely oppressive it was. It's still oppressive now but it needs help to kill you whereas before it could kill you alone and make you suffer painfully in the process. Unless you have a skilled ranged friend like soulbeast or deadeye I wouldn't play this.

Engineer: Engineer is really good. It is insanely strong at sustain, CC and support which is enough to definitely be viable in it's own right. It's just that holosmith and scrapper adds so much on top of it that it makes you think why be just strong when you can be busted?

Deadeye: I personally think deadeye is one of the finest examples of development failure in not just guild wars history, but gaming history. Giving a high burst sniper massive mobility is one thing (overwatch) but giving them massive mobility and permanent stealth of a variety that's more broken than any other game in existence and you have deadeye. Fortunately most thieves focus on dueling rather than doing their role so many deadeyes fail in games. You'll see this one the forum of people wanting the fastest class in the game (to which you have to choose to die) to be able to outdamage and in some cases even outsustain other, much slower classes. If you play the class well and remember to do your job then you'll be quite oppressive and rage inducing on deadeye.

Mesmer: Any mesmer spec is good honestly. They're all great at dueling and bursting people down quickly. It's just that mesmer players usually focus all their utilities into instantaneously killing people or in some cases in being constantly invulnerable that they forget that they need the mobility to move around the map to secure kills. But once you do that you then realize you're playing a worse thief, so why do that? Why did they give thief portal again?

Scourge: Like the deadeye, though to a lesser extent, another golden child of bad development that was designed to be the first necromancer support class but ended up being the most oppressive killer. Then after the nerfs not only does it fail its unintended design, it fails it's intended design. So essentially the last option for you is a different flavor of minionmancer where you can enjoy making people rage on the forum until either someone makes any of the many easy counters to this build and posts it on metabattle to copy and paste for the herd to adopt or the developers feel sorry for the herd and nerfs everything but the minions themselves making necromancer an overall worse class until end of dragons launch where they, I guarantee, will be insanely busted again.

Elementalist: I feel so sorry for the elementalist mains. Just play fire weaver and get people to gang up on you while you run around and outsustain everything they throw at you. The only counter to you is slight intelligence and awareness which means you are pretty safe to carry your team to victory.

@Crab Fear.1624 said:

@NorthernRedStar.3054 said:DE isn't under-represented at all. Revenants obliterate them. DH can hold vs them indefinitely.

ok? not sure the point you're trying to make here.

Me neither.

Is the DE in games and getting wiped, or do DEs know to keep out of games?

before coffee comment maybe.