Why do people still fail content from 2015...

Cynder.2509

Because the game's population is not stagnant. Every single player is not a veteran from launch - there are many new players who are just venturing into HoT or PoF for the first time and slowly getting the hang of things. I know I was a total newbie when I first stepped into HoT...got my rear handed to me more times than I could count, and it took me until somewhere around Tangled Depths to actually figure out how to play my chosen elite spec.Or they have a bad internet connection. Or a potato computer that renders gameplay at a speed of a snail glued to a glacier. Or they're distracted in real life. Or a myriad of other things.

Bottom line: just because it's easy for you, doesn't mean it's easy for everyone else.

Number of reasons.

A majority of players may fall into one of the following categories:

1. They are playing that content for the first time.
  2. They're returning after a long break and they're rusty with the builds they are playing with, which may not be that cohesive anymore depending on how long the break was
  3. They're having a bad day and are just dying more than usual or missing mechanics
  4. They're playing a character with a significant change in play strategy than they're used to. Whether that's because they've just switched a character's build or playing a new class, it's a new thing for them and they aren't as fast as they were on their other character/build.

New players learning the ropes, and many who still don't help out but sit and wait for metas. Some people don't follow basic instructions well (i.e. auric basin meta...hold at x percentage).

Mostly I find the maps I join who are actively progressing a meta do very well. LFG groups are usually very successful as well since people want to be there and help.

Fair question, lots of variables.

lmao, HoT players from 2015 hardly play it.. also i was on the AB multimap farm era(probably 9 months), i have near 50K + Aurilium..., i have HoT stuff enough to make 2 or 3 legendaries with Magumma Insight.

Theres only 2 or 3 hot achievs left behind related to adventures(the king of jungle to get chak gerent mini), because im the kind of player that dislike minigames. i also even have the "migraine" achievment.

Im doing atm, LS4 achievs, in december 2020 i was hoping on some POF maps to make skyscale and other collections where have POF stuff, theres lots of players just start PoF now.

I'm on the opposite side actually. Events have become too easy and now anyone rarely fails them. A bit of "oh will we make it?" tension is good to spice up the events, imo. But that tension is gone because now no one fails Dragon's Stand or Octovines anymore. They don't need to be super hard as in we can't complete them unless we do everything 100% right, but killing octovines, Blight Towers and Mouth of Mordremoth in one go is certainly too easy.

My guild has plenty of new players and plenty of returning players and plenty of people playing a long time, but don't play that much or that often. It's not like everyone lives in the game. As for people reading chat while playing an area they barely know, that's not possible for everyone.

1) There are always new players2) There are always leeches at the meta event and if they outweigh the actual players, the meta fails.3) Some metas, looking at you nuhoch lane, can actually fail if people don't know the mechanics. Veterans don't bother explaining the meta and new players don't know about the mechanics and so the meta fails.4) Some metas need a certain amount of people, if not enough people show up, the meta fails.

In addition to the reasons already given not all veteran players do HoT content (or any content) regularly. I've been playing since 2012 with only relatively short breaks, but I don't have time to do everything all the time and it's been a while since I've done some of the HoT metas. I can't remember the details of all of them and if I find myself doing one at short notice (which does happen) I might well make mistakes if there's no one explaining what to do.

I'm an old/new player, been playing off and on for years and I have discovered that HoT is usually where I stop playing because the game goes from being a traditional RPGMMO that is very fun, to a platform, jumping/flying puzzle game that is not as fun. If I wanted to play Mario 3d, I would go play Mario 3d. I hate HoT, but I am also too ocd to just skip it, so I slowly grind my way through it until PoF, when in my opinion the game becomes fun again. Admittedly, HoT is a lot easier with mounts, but I still hate it and find it difficult.

@Yrch.5491 said:I'm an old/new player, been playing off and on for years and I have discovered that HoT is usually where I stop playing because the game goes from being a traditional RPGMMO that is very fun, to a platform, jumping/flying puzzle game that is not as fun. If I wanted to play Mario 3d, I would go play Mario 3d. I hate HoT, but I am also too ocd to just skip it, so I slowly grind my way through it until PoF, when in my opinion the game becomes fun again. Admittedly, HoT is a lot easier with mounts, but I still hate it and find it difficult.Yes, this. Thank you for this post.

Also, for many of us I imagine, GW2 is not our job. We don't spend many hours each and every day in the game.

@Blude.6812 said:

@Shadowmoon.7986 said:The majority of the players base is just bad at the game. Anet never pushed them to get better, so all they know how to do is spam 1.

Sounds like an elite talk. That pushes more people out of the game (or aspects of the game like the raid elitists do) than anything Anet does. Insulting the player base doesn't contribute to the topic,help the game.

I agree, especially with no empirical evidence at all to support the claim. Just more confirmation bias.

There is a very wide spectrum of skill and knowledge some players have in this game. I believe Arenanet themselves have said the difference in damage output alone can be as great as 10x. Yet Arenanet is forced to develop content that is doable for players that fall into the lowest common denominator, but interesting and challenging enough for experts.That's a tall order when you consider that, and the fact that a game like this has veterans that may stop playing, new people coming in for the first time, people that are casual, people that play daily, people that just do content 'x', 'y' or 'z'.

That's why content even from 2012, or 2015 can still fail.

When you complete Tarir and people proceed to the looting below and the 2 mobs. One of them always does an attack with a long wind up, a red circle that fills up beneath every player that has aggro'd him. Watch how many people out of the zerg are downed by this. It's easily upwards of 90%. It's like a 3...2...1...dodge/block! And they still fail it. Some of them have been killing this guy for years. The average player in this game (or at least in its OW) is a zero effort casual in a zerg of people who is relying on the sheer weight of numbers and the few who understand any extra mechanics/defiance/whatever to carry them.

Thanks to this carrying, they do not need to learn, so they do not learn, and when those who actually do know how to do events/etc aren't there to essentially do them for them (or lead them), they will fail.

@"Batel.9206" said:Because the game's population is not stagnant. Every single player is not a veteran from launch - there are many new players who are just venturing into HoT or PoF for the first time and slowly getting the hang of things. I know I was a total newbie when I first stepped into HoT...got my rear handed to me more times than I could count, and it took me until somewhere around Tangled Depths to actually figure out how to play my chosen elite spec.Or they have a bad internet connection. Or a potato computer that renders gameplay at a speed of a snail glued to a glacier. Or they're distracted in real life. Or a myriad of other things.

Bottom line: just because it's easy for you, doesn't mean it's easy for everyone else.

Yeah, and then on the other hand: Most people who have played the game for a while, the so called "veterans", just activate auto-attack and watch netflix/youtube while they leave someone else to actually play the game. After all, they'll get rewarded equally regardless.

@kharmin.7683 said:

@Yrch.5491 said:I'm an old/new player, been playing off and on for years and I have discovered that HoT is usually where I stop playing because the game goes from being a traditional RPGMMO that is very fun, to a platform, jumping/flying puzzle game that is not as fun. If I wanted to play Mario 3d, I would go play Mario 3d. I hate HoT, but I am also too ocd to just skip it, so I slowly grind my way through it until PoF, when in my opinion the game becomes fun again. Admittedly, HoT is a lot easier with mounts, but I still hate it and find it difficult.Yes, this. Thank you for this post.

Also, for many of us I imagine, GW2 is not our job. We don't spend many hours each and every day in the game.

Fore every person where you find sentiment like the quoted you'll find the opposite, where they thought the game was boring until the challenge HoT brought, then back to boring because of PoF.

I also don't see what correlation there is or you are trying to make between people enjoying certain things and the amount of time they spend on the game. .

Don't forget, as well as above, sometimes when people are playing METAs they are just relaxing following a com, so when they actually have to do stuff like CC over a few seconds, they may in that moment be distracted by a stream or show or something. Won't lie, I am guilty of this... I have missed Karka Queen kill because I was looking at a stream for a while, many times...