Competitive WvW play - EU or NA?

DoomyBaby.3167

Hi there, I just wanted to know if there is the same level of competitive play on NA and EU servers? I saw a few people discussing it in map chat saying most of the competitive WvW focused Guilds are on NA servers for fights. I was looking ideally to be on an EU server since I live in EU - but I can put up with a big more lag/ping on NA if the general level of competitiveness and activity is better. I've just joined Desolation server on EU as a new player, I believe it's T1 but I am not seeing any big Guild activity or fights so far. Thanks if you can help.

It depends on what kind of competition you are looking for I guess.

The ladder on NA has always been more of a thing, so if you are looking for PPT and coverage wars it is likely NA all the way, if the involved servers are not all full and locked. EU has never really had any servers that have gotten together to be #1 in PPT (at least not since early vanilla), has no tradition of buying guilds for gold and have always been more plagued by general cross-region and server-cap issues than purposeful stacking, making players care less about the ladder and seeking matchups on sweet spots on the ladder.

EU has always had more players though, making EU tours more popular among NA players and guilds rather than the opposite, so if you are looking for more vibrant PPK content then EU is probably still the better bet (even if that also tend to vary a bit with eg., the NA GvG scene dis-/reappearing more).

Competitive scene is kinda dead with claim buffs: even if you try to be the best guild around, quite a bit worse guild can beat you easily at their keep. Open field GvGs are too repetitive for guilds to do it more than 5 hours a week. If some guilds tries more than that they will soon take a long break from the game due to burnout.

Stealth meta is quite annoying too with 75%+ of the guilds and blobs doing stealth engages from 3000 range away. Which is fine on open field but when you go near objectives, it becomes kind of pain in the ass never being able to chill even if you get used to it. This leads to objectives being purely farming or PPT spots, not ones for epic battles.

Did you consider timezones already, you know NA guilds raid like 3-5 am european time? It isn't easy being up around that time.

I do not agree with some people here. You should always aim to win fights, it is only thing you have really in common with your server/guild mates. But you shouldn't sacrifice your fun in doing so. For example it is better to have 0.7 KDR with challenge assaulting enemy objectives with minimal downtime on "doing nothing" than 2.0 kdr with ez mode camping your objectives completely reliant on opponents coming at you. I do not know which Sherlock at anet made KDR visible but it does seem like it was a bad change considering most people seem to find it their lifes purpose.

@"Threather.9354" said:it is better to have 0.7 KDR with challenge assaulting enemy objectives with minimal downtime on "doing nothing" than 2.0 kdr with ez mode camping your objectives completely reliant on opponents coming at you.

You're just drinking the koolaid with that one bud.Look on WvWstats, highest amount of kills and deaths in any matchup... All that activity isn't happening from the walls of SMC.

mh, i'm convinced its ppt tags or random people who go to the walls / hills in front of SM and mass-die there, honestly. u can watch that for hours sometimes. @LetoII.3782

kdR is a bit off... this reset, we had 0,7~ kdR on three maps, only on GBL where our main fighting group was, 2,5... lol. that one map had a 60ish queue initially. cannot tell why no other map got a real group together but well.

@"DoomyBaby.3167" u'll for sure find fighting guilds in EU as well... i'm nearly sure we have way more than NA has. probably stuff is just "better stacked", so spread out to less servers in NA, but idk really.

check gw2mists page for guilds, killcounts of them... the best guild fighting groups have pretty big killcounts every week. and most if not all relevant do by now use the site of gw2mists. u can also often see raiding days etc for those on that page.

@LetoII.3782 said:

@"Threather.9354" said:it is better to have 0.7 KDR with challenge assaulting enemy objectives with minimal downtime on "doing nothing" than 2.0 kdr with ez mode camping your objectives completely reliant on opponents coming at you.

You're just drinking the koolaid with that one bud.Look on WvWstats, highest amount of kills and deaths in any matchup... All that activity isn't happening from the walls of SMC.

I said objectives, not SMC. This includes towers and keeps as well. I also think claim buff is problematic.

And I was just talking about mentality you should have when playing the game.. I wasnt even talking about anything concrete in what you quoted

Here is an outline of WvW in the EU 2021. I hope it helps you make your decision:

• Most people only play for a few hours at prime time. So guilds just tend to neutralise each other at that point.
  • After prime time, a night capping guild will have little/no opposition and can take several skirmishes just by staying up late.
  • Of course, some servers have groups of people (not always guilds) in the super-early morning and win skirmishes that way.
  • Most of the impact comes from affecting things when the enemy has a small population and crucially, no commanders.