[Big Please] What do you think about GW1 Remake / Remaster and new campaign?

I'm all in for a remake! The gw1 storyline was so much more diversified and interesting than these dragons after dragons after dragons... of gw2 storyline, so boring. Maps were much more challenging, you needed to build a strategy for whatever you had to do on a map. Open world is great but it reduce greatly the need of strategy. Maybe time for anet staff to use their imagination and to offer a second kind of pve, based on gw1. I dont need 50 pve maps, give me different style of pve instead so I can pick the one I like.

@manu.7539 said:I'm all in for a remake! The gw1 storyline was so much more diversified and interesting than these dragons after dragons after dragons... of gw2 storyline, so boring. Maps were much more challenging, you needed to build a strategy for whatever you had to do on a map. Open world is great but it reduce greatly the need of strategy. Maybe time for anet staff to use their imagination and to offer a second kind of pve, based on gw1. I dont need 50 pve maps, give me different style of pve instead so I can pick the one I like.

Try raids they are like gw1 missions that needed strategy, if you want less of it start with strike missions.

@Linken.6345 said:

@manu.7539 said:I'm all in for a remake! The gw1 storyline was so much more diversified and interesting than these dragons after dragons after dragons... of gw2 storyline, so boring. Maps were much more challenging, you needed to build a strategy for whatever you had to do on a map. Open world is great but it reduce greatly the need of strategy. Maybe time for anet staff to use their imagination and to offer a second kind of pve, based on gw1. I dont need 50 pve maps, give me different style of pve instead so I can pick the one I like.

Try raids they are like gw1 missions that needed strategy, if you want less of it start with strike missions.

Ty but I tried the 1st strike mission and if the others are comparable it wont do it. Really miss to build my hero team for a specific mission and being alone, in control of what is happening. I like to play with real players but mostly in pvp modes. Having a huge map for yourself or with a couple of friends was a total different feeling! So I'm not open world vs instance world(or private world), I'm asking for both. Diversity is so beautiful :)

@"MarkVonPlay.7391" said:GW1 and GW2 are two completely different games. I think both games can exist co-existent.It would be nice to see Guild Wars with modern DirectX 12 and Raytracing. It also would be great to see a new campaign. There is so much landscape, that isn't explored

I'm sad to see, that World of Warcraft is still in development and get new campaigns and GW1 not. Please Arenanet: Give GW1 new life.

Have you actually went back to play GW1 any time recently?

I had recently gone back with some guys to play GW1. I was going to walk them through the campaigns as they had never played them before. Let me tell you, it felt... flat footed. After playing GW2 for so long, I found it really difficult to go back and play in the GW1 engine after experiencing such free & fluid movement/combat that is in GW2. You know what I mean, jumping, dodge rolling, moving while casting or attacking, ect ect. I honestly didn't have much patience for it, and although I do regard GW1 as one of the best designed games for its time that I have ever played, it is exactly that "A game that was amazing in its own era." I find that the things we remember about GW1 is a lot of deep nostalgia, but when you actually go back to play in that engine, it just isn't the same in 2021. In other words, GW2 is easily the superior game in my opinion ^^

If anything, if they could use the same exact engine that GW2 has, and redo the old maps/story/dungeon/campaigns/classes from GW1, now that would be enticing to play.

@"MarkVonPlay.7391" said:GW1 and GW2 are two completely different games. I think both games can exist co-existent.It would be nice to see Guild Wars with modern DirectX 12 and Raytracing. It also would be great to see a new campaign. There is so much landscape, that isn't explored

I'm sad to see, that World of Warcraft is still in development and get new campaigns and GW1 not. Please Arenanet: Give GW1 new life.

there was a person in reddit who posted about remaking ascalon pre-searing in unreal engine. maybe you wanna check it out.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GuildWars/comments/ihnuwn/first_version_of_guild_wars_reborn_is_avaliable/'

don't know what became of it or if they (author) still work on it ( i can imagine it abandoned ) but it is something...

@Linken.6345 said:

@aspirine.6852 said:After seeing this weekend what they could do to Diablo 2, I want this even more now :)

Totaly different sizes of staff bettwen Anet and activision blizzard so dont expect Anet to be able to do the same as the latter one.

But... but it's still an MMO. Every MMO should have the same resources despite their business model! (sigh) I really hate these comparisons.

There are two paths1: give gw1 a visual update/remake but keep the mechanics as they are now. I fail to see how this would work well the lack of open world will not be what people will bring back and it will still be outdated.2: recreate gw1 within GW2. I fail to see how this would work out either there are reasons for people sticking to gw1.

Another smaller option would be recreating specific elements. Like the raid in the underworld. I have no objection here.

• 1 year later...

I continue to dream of this every time I play eiyther GW1 or GW2. To me, GW1 is the pinnacle of online gaming. More/larger maps, enhanced mobility (honestly, just jumping would be enough), and a new campaign would be eveything I needed for another decade. I completely agree that GW2 should exist at the same time as if offeres a very different experience. I'm really enjoying EoD at the moment but I just did one of only a few oustanding Vanquish clears and my heart deffinately still belongs in GW1.

Maybe one day... I'd even purchase a mobile version to tide me over. Don't a single one of you tell me that you wouldn't pay full price to be able to play when you're out and about. Also it'd be good for the games IRL populous.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1