Bring the Game to the New Consoles - [Merged]

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Zoid.2568 said:

@Nightcore.5621 said:Pvp if you agienst mouse and keyboard players might be a problem. And raids.. I dont think that well work sorry

It depends on how they remake the UI for consoles.There were attempts to adapt console controllers for GW2, and, for the most part, they were succesful. Succesful, but with two significant exceptions.

First, camera movement with mouse is just both faster and more precise. That alone gives people with PC setup a situational awareness. Unfortunately, that's not all - after all, you can use mouse to change facing on your character as well, overriding keyboard control that way. So, you end up with more precise and faster character control as well.

Second, there's no way to make ground targeting work with controller as well as with mouse+keyboard setup. Yes, there's the option to autocenter ground targeting to your current selected target, but for obvious reasons that's often not ideal (especially if that target happens to be moving).

I don't see how those things could be fixed with just a remake of UI for console.

And of course there's also the case of a voice comm.

@Zoid.2568 said:

@Nightcore.5621 said:Pvp if you agienst mouse and keyboard players might be a problem. And raids.. I dont think that well work sorry

It depends on how they remake the UI for consoles.

No, it doesn't matter how much they rework the UI. FFXIV has cross platform play with consoles and if you are in a Raid you know IMMEDIATELY who the console players are. They can't instant 180 like a mouse user can. There is also a known delay for skill usage on consoles compared to PCs. It isn't much but enough you can notice in close PvP.They brign that over to GW2? Oh, the complaining would be legion.

@Danikat.8537 said:It's been a very long time since console controllers only had 8 buttons. Even my SNES controller has more than that.

The standard PS4 controller has 2 sets of 4 buttons on top, 2 menu buttons, 4 triggers, two joysticks which can both be pushed down and a touch pad which also acts as a button - so 17 buttons total, plus the joysticks and the touch pad. Oh and it's also motion sensitive so some things can be done just by moving it, and all those buttons can be context sensitive so they do different things in different situations (like the F button in GW2). (Note: there's also a 'share' button but I didn't count that because as far as I know it can't be used for anything else.) I assume the Xbox One controller is similar, but don't have one of those in the room to count the buttons.

It might need some minor changes to the way we do things now, like instead of having a key binding for the options menu, hero panel, TP, inventory etc. just have one menu button and then use the joystick to select which menu you want, but I think it would be possible. In fact some people already play this game with a controller, and that's without even having official support.

I'm not convinced releasing GW2 on a console would be a good idea, but I don't think the controller would be the problem.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

It depends on how they remake the UI for consoles.There were attempts to adapt console controllers for GW2, and, for the most part, they were succesful. Succesful, but with two significant exceptions.

First, camera movement with mouse is just both faster and more precise. That alone gives people with PC setup a situational awareness. Unfortunately, that's not all - after all, you can use mouse to change facing on your character as well, overriding keyboard control that way. So, you end up with more precise and faster character control as well.

Second, there's no way to make ground targeting work with controller as well as with mouse+keyboard setup. Yes, there's the option to autocenter ground targeting to your current selected target, but for obvious reasons that's often not ideal (especially if that target happens to be moving).

I don't see how those things could be fixed with just a remake of UI for console.

And of course there's also the case of a voice comm.

I would perfer to play GW2 on console. I know some people perfer PC and that's great for them. I perfer console. People complained about ground targeting and camera movement. It all comes down to what your comfortable with.

They could easily make GW2 a console game, as far as the gamepad is considered. ESO is doing fine.

With all the pressure sensitive, triggers, and number of buttons in gamepads, there are so many combinations to aside a keyboard button.

The only thing I would hope the Devs did before they brought GW2 to console was include all of Season 1. I would pay full price for the base game and each expansion sold separately. Having the game without Season 1 would not be worth it. I don't know how they get new plays to buy the game without access. It's like buying part of a product. I guess that's why they made the game f2p.

@VocalThought.9835 said:The only thing I would hope the Devs did before they brought GW2 to console was include all of Season 1. I would pay full price for the base game and each expansion sold separately. Having the game without Season 1 would not be worth it. I don't know how they get new plays to buy the game without access. It's like buying part of a product. I guess that's why they made the game f2p.

I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you. Especially in regards to Season 1, much of its coding doesn't even exist anymore.

@The Greyhawk.9107 said:

@VocalThought.9835 said:The only thing I would hope the Devs did before they brought GW2 to console was include all of Season 1. I would pay full price for the base game and each expansion sold separately. Having the game without Season 1 would not be worth it. I don't know how they get new plays to buy the game without access. It's like buying part of a product. I guess that's why they made the game f2p.

I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you. Especially in regards to Season 1, much of its coding doesn't even exist anymore.

I know. I know that they were thinking it'll be great to have an ongoing world, but I think their experiences made them change so much they had to change their initial system and create a new foundation. I can see why they have to recreate the season. I wonder how much of it is a priority.

@VocalThought.9835 said:I would perfer to play GW2 on console. I know some people perfer PC and that's great for them. I perfer console. People complained about ground targeting and camera movement. It all comes down to what your comfortable with.These things offer actual advantage, though. They may be okay on PvE open-world level, but become a much bigger problem in PvP environment or more challenging PvE content.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@VocalThought.9835 said:I would perfer to play GW2 on console. I know some people perfer PC and that's great for them. I perfer console. People complained about ground targeting and camera movement. It all comes down to what your comfortable with.These things offer actual advantage, though. They may be okay on PvE open-world level, but become a much bigger problem in PvP environment or more challenging PvE content.

I would still perfer it. Every other game that went from pc to console gave me no problem. I guess I'm more skilled with the console than the keyboard.

consoles have limited/[has their own] architecture compared to standard gaming computers.

it has to be the console making the GW2 client run in it by extending its architecture, which is kinda a win to the console makers coz they can accommodate other games.

and most likely that the console will eat the gaming pc market coz of its portabilty and ease of handling.

@"Avatar.3568" said:Bring Guildwars 2 on the new Consoles at launch, that could increase the server pupolation drammaticly and they game should run fine on those

no fancy grafipc extras just a good controller adjustment and controlls (prob with action cam)

this topic has been raised multiple times over the years, please do a forum search before posting

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/search?adv=1&search=console&title=&author=&cat=15&tags=&discussion_d=1&within=1+day&date=

why it will not happen

1. the game's performance is terrible with massive number of playerssome example of just PvE how terrible the game runs

• Svanir Shaman you get terrible FPS, even on my 8700K with 1080Ti I'm getting 18fps; on my old PC with 780Ti the card gets so hot even on medium settings since PoF that I have to set almost all graphics to low
    • Tequatle and KQ after daily reset you will experience massive skill lags
  2. as you said, "good controller adjustment and controlls", the game have way too many controls to be fit on 8 buttons, there are 15 skills buttons alone, the way camera movements have to be changed; do a forum search and you will see how many people complaints about GW2's in-game activities because they have slow wrist movementsthere is no better input than keyboard and mice, just look at BLizzard's overwatch console version, the game is segregated from the PC version and console players can be banned for using adapters that allows keyboard and mice on consoleshttps://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/gaming/763267/Overwatch-news-Blizzard-cheaters-warning-mouse-keyboard-bans

3. cross platform support, Anet's dev team already have plenty of backlogs of to fix stuffs, throwing more platforms to fix will burn out their balance sheet, big bro NC Soft is keeping a close eye on it; NC Soft have 0 experience porting games from PC to console

If you simply wanna play on your TV like a console, just hook up to your TV with HDMI cable or stream with Nvidia shield

• 9 months later...

The CPU of the PS4 can't handle the workload of the game.

At boss fights and in WvW you'd get less than 30 fps even at lowest graphics settings, which look worse than Guild Wars 1 from 2004 (and run a lot worse because of the much higher player count and the open world design of Guild Wars 2). No PS4 player would accept such graphics at such a low performance. This kind of game design doesn't suit the PS4.

And the Switch ... good joke.

I know the PS4 and Xbox One can run Elder Scrolls Online, which has comparable minimum PC specs to GW2 but seems to be a lot more demanding on low-end PCs.

But there's other complications too. For a start all software updates on consoles have to be approved by the console manufacturers to make sure it is what it says it is (aka not a virus) and doesn't cause any major problems (that's why you don't need antivirus software on consoles). That process takes a minimum of 2 weeks, longer if any problems are found and it has to be fixed and resubmitted. The software developers also have to pay for that certification. The end result is that companies tend to hold off on doing updates, even bug fixes, until they can bundle a lot of them together so it's worth going through the hassle of getting it approved. So if an update comes out and then there's problems with it you'll have to wait until the next scheduled update for that to be fixed. It would be useless for festivals for a start.

And no, the certification process wouldn't prevent the kind of problems Anet typically fixes in follow-up updates like events not starting, enemies having too much health, skins not previewing correctly, or unexpected packs of hyenas appearing. It's pretty basic - the main priority is making sure the game or update is what it says it is, isn't a virus, won't break the console, and follows some basic standards like warning you not to turn it off when it's saving because it could corrupt the data. It can pick up on genuinely game breaking bugs (as in the kind of things which crash the entire game or server) if they come up during the testing process, but more minor bugs will be let through.

@"Danikat.8537" said:And no, the certification process wouldn't prevent the kind of problems Anet typically fixes in follow-up updates like events not starting, enemies having too much health, skins not previewing correctly, or unexpected packs of hyenas appearing. It's pretty basic - the main priority is making sure the game or update is what it says it is, isn't a virus, won't break the console, and follows some basic standards like warning you not to turn it off when it's saving because it could corrupt the data.Things like "events not starting" or "skins not previewing correctly" can absolutely fail a Certification test. Depending on the platform and severity of these occurrences Sony, or Microsoft will absolutely fail a certification submission based on what you might consider some minor things.The process is not just to determine if the software is malicious or unstable. The user experience runs very high on reasons for cert failures as are legal (such as data collection and privacy) and localization (translation).User interface issues such as menus that do not work as expected are a common reason for certification failures. Loading screens have limits on how long they can be, progression blockers will fail certification and even ensuring that the game's content does not violate age ratings are all part of testing.Certification testers will test online titles (such as gw2) under a variety of network conditions to ensure that a title gracefully handles things like disconnection. Even some incorrect verbiage on a disconnection message can absolutely fail an certification submission. For example if a certification tester were to run into the "7:11:3:202:101" error this entire title would likely fail the Certification pass requiring a fix and costly re submission just because of the language used in the error message.A game that offers too many achievements in the Xbox shell or PS Trophys will fail Certification.That process takes a minimum of 2 weeksThis is not accurate.

Game would have to be heavily optimised to run on consoles and probably need a lot of engine modifications as well, and then there's there's the massive player gap and release issues.. cross platform play would be out of the question and console players would have to wait a long time to get new content due to update policies on consoles.Anet can't just hotfix and patch things like they can on PC because everything has to go through Sony, Nintendo and MS so console players would be behind the PC version constantly.

Frankly the only thing console ports of Gw2 would achieve is costing more Dev time and resources and it would probably end up screwing over the PC version of the game.. slowing down new content etc.. and possible causing conflicts between the bases for various reasons.

They would probably have to release Gw2 at basic too.. no expansions and living world and have that come in later so console players could experience the full game as intended and unlock the living world naturally, probably the best option but far more work and it would likely mean console players would have to buy the base game as it would be a new release.Or they could release GW2 as it is now.. denying console players the LW1 experience entirely and forcing them to pay for all the missed living world content which many would be angry about and rightfully so.Or they could just give the living world away free angering many in the PC base who had to pay for it.If you think Pfft people wouldn't be mad that about that.. then I say just look how players reacted when Anet made the base game free with HoT, some people are very petty and selfish about that sort of thing.

@Davidm.2419 said:Do you think guild wars 2 will be on playstation 4 and nintendo switch

switch? unlikely. ps4? not likely either (unlikely because they'll need to rewrite the engine and optimise it for the ps4)

GW2 for the new xbox and ps5? unlikely as well unless arenanet wants to invest on out-sourcing a company to do the porting to console. hardware-wise the new xb and ps5 probably outperforms the typical super-budget/entry level gaming pc setup

@Astyrah.4015 said:

@Davidm.2419 said:Do you think guild wars 2 will be on playstation 4 and nintendo switch

switch? unlikely. ps4? not likely either (unlikely because they'll need to rewrite the engine and optimise it for the ps4)

GW2 for the new xbox and ps5? unlikely as well unless arenanet wants to invest on out-sourcing a company to do the porting to console. hardware-wise the new xb and ps5 probably outperforms the typical super-budget/entry level gaming pc setup

I bet it wouldn't be that hard, both have a x86 CPU, bundle the game with the dx12 proxy and than you only need to add proper controller support

@Avatar.3568 said:

@"Davidm.2419" said:Do you think guild wars 2 will be on playstation 4 and nintendo switch

I bet it wouldn't be that hard, both have a x86 CPU, bundle the game with the dx12 proxy and than you only need to add proper controller support

Switch is a much weaker console than ps4, owing to its handheld nature. That's why, for instance, there is no monster hunter world on it. Too big.In a similar vein, I'm unsure how well consoles would handle this game. It's not a small one, after all. And even if its possible, I do not, not, NOT!!! not - want this game to suddenly be limited in development because it "has to work for consoles" or updates to take longer due to "multi platform development".

@mindcircus.1506 said:

@"Danikat.8537" said:And no, the certification process wouldn't prevent the kind of problems Anet typically fixes in follow-up updates like events not starting, enemies having too much health, skins not previewing correctly, or unexpected packs of hyenas appearing. It's pretty basic - the main priority is making sure the game or update is what it says it is, isn't a virus, won't break the console, and follows some basic standards like warning you not to turn it off when it's saving because it could corrupt the data.Things like "events not starting" or "skins not previewing correctly" can absolutely fail a Certification test. Depending on the platform and severity of these occurrences Sony, or Microsoft will absolutely fail a certification submission based on what you might consider some minor things.The process is not just to determine if the software is malicious or unstable. The user experience runs very high on reasons for cert failures as are legal (such as data collection and privacy) and localization (translation).User interface issues such as menus that do not work as expected are a common reason for certification failures. Loading screens have limits on how long they can be, progression blockers will fail certification and even ensuring that the game's content does not violate age ratings are all part of testing.Certification testers will test online titles (such as gw2) under a variety of network conditions to ensure that a title gracefully handles things like disconnection. Even some incorrect verbiage on a disconnection message can absolutely fail an certification submission. For example if a certification tester were to run into the "7:11:3:202:101" error this entire title would likely fail the Certification pass requiring a fix and costly re submission just because of the language used in the error message.A game that offers too many achievements in the Xbox shell or PS Trophys will fail Certification.That process takes a minimum of 2 weeksThis is not accurate.

I'm not knocking the certification process (I think it's a good idea), I'm just trying to head off the usual conclusion some people jump to when that's brought up as a barrier to releasing a game on console, which is that it would actually be better for everyone (even PC players) because the game would be forced to be completely bug free. Console games can and do have the kind of bugs we see in GW2, even after going through the certification process. It might be because it didn't happen during certification or it's requires a very precise and unusual set of circumstances which no one testing it managed, but when you get tens of thousands of people playing it a few hundred of them will trigger that bug.

Or, as was the case with several of the examples I picked from recent updates, it's not obvious it's a bug unless you know how it was intended to work. When Anet fixed the bug which caused a massive pack of OP hyenas to spawn during one of the Lunar New Year events some players actually complained, because they thought it was intended as part of the challenge. If a boss has 30k health and needs at least 3 competent players to take down the only way to know it's a bug is to know it was supposed to have 10k health and be soloable, otherwise it looks intentional. Likewise the only way to know the Lunar New Year gloves weren't previewing correctly was to unlock them and then compare the actual skin to the preview - something certification testers are highly unlikely to do for each equipment skin in a game.

@Oxstar.7643 said:

@"Davidm.2419" said:Do you think guild wars 2 will be on playstation 4 and nintendo switch

Switch is a much weaker console than ps4, owing to its handheld nature. That's why, for instance, there is no monster hunter world on it. Too big.In a similar vein, I'm unsure how well consoles would handle this game. It's not a small one, after all. And even if its possible, I do not, not, NOT!!! not - want this game to suddenly be limited in development because it "has to work for consoles" or updates to take longer due to "multi platform development".

I don't think the size of the game would be a problem, it's "only" 49GB and even the Switch can handle up to 64GB on the newer cartridges. Alternatively it can install games to an SD card and run them from there, with a maximum card size of 2TB. (For GW2 I think making it digital only so it's installed on the console, or on the Switch an SD card, would make the most sense because then out dated files can be overwritten instead of having to duplicate data that's on a non-writable cartridge or disk.)

(According to Capcom the main reason Monster Hunter World isn't on the Switch is because it was in development for 4 years before the Switch was announced, and porting it over would have taken too much time, although processing power is mentioned as one of the things they'd have to consider. But then they made Monster Hunter Rise instead.)

I'm not sure of the specifics for the PS4 but I do know it can run Elder Scrolls Online, which is about 80GB and I think has comparable PC specs to GW2. (The Xbox One, PS5 and Xbox X can also run Elder Scrolls Online.)

There probably would be compatibility issues however. I know there's some differences between the console and PC versions of ESO, but I'm not sure how much of that is design choices vs. practical considerations. For example the console version has far fewer options to add or customise tabs in the text chat box, and I doubt that's because consoles can't handle a customisable chat box. It probably could be made to work, but it would take extra time and therefore money (because the people doing this work need to be paid) and may either mean a console version is always lagging behind the PC version or that updates take more time.