First Revenant. What build should I aim for?

StormyFae.2761

I recently rolled a revenant and am enjoying playing it. I don't know much(anything) about builds. I've looked a Metabattle and it's all so confusing (What is a herald/dps/condi/whatever anyway?) and I can't get the ascended gear they recommend yet. So in very simple terms what gear can I buy at TP or craft ( I have all crafts leveled) to make a viable renegade? And which elite should I should be training? I'm at the point where I have to choose one. I play all pve right now but want to start fractals because I'm working on Mawdry and I've done everything up to stuff you can only get in fractals. Thanks!

If you want to run a renegade, then you need to train that elite. Herald is the Heart of Thorns elite, Renegade PoF's. I still run the vast majority of all my toons on Exotic gear, so, not having ascended is only a problem once fractals start requiring Agony Resistance.

So to your question - Herald means that it is a build using the Herald elite spec - Glint. DPS means that the role that build fills in the team is DPS (Damage Per Second), i.e. your job in the group is to do damage. Condi means that it is a condition damage build - if it says Power, then it is a power damage build.

I basically run the Raid Renegade Boon Support Power DPS build on my Renegade for everything - open world, fractals, etc. I follow the build and the rotation info at metabattle for that build, but, IIRC, I run marauder's armor with Superior runes of the Pack, Diviner's weapons (superior sigils of concentration and accuracy), and diviner's trinkets. With Potent lucent oils and soul pastries, that get's me to upp 90% boon uptime (98-99%) and 55-65% crit chance. And with that build, you only need about 85% boon uptime to keep 100% uptime on alacrity just hitting "Orders from Above" on cool down.

Thanks so much. That gives me something to shoot for. Is that a hard role to learn? I think I am what they call a face roll player. LOL. I have little to no clue what all the skills do I just push buttons and dodge until they are dead. My first char was an elementalist so I learned how to dodge real fast. LOL. I know, I know. Everyone hates me. But I really don't have a whole lot of time to devote to studying skills, rotations, boons etc. I just want to be good enough that I can do low fractals enough to get the stuff I need for my collections.

Pretty easy. Basically, your job is to hit F4 on cool down, drop Icerazor's Ire, and then Soulcleave Summit, and fill in with autoattacks and F3. Just before you're out of energy, swap legends to Shiro and start Impossible Odds, use Sword 2, 4, and 5 as available, Swap back to Kalla when your energy is up on Shiro. Only other thing is watch your cool down on F4 to make sure you can use it as soon as it is off cooldown - even if that means delaying other things and just auto-attacking. The other thing to keep in mind is the particular fight you are in - if you know you are coming up on needing to break a defiance bar, be ready to swap to staff and hit staff 5 for a massive CC, going back to sword/sword as soon as you can.

The main thing with Revenant is managing your energy usage. Truthfully, in open world, I'm sit Kalla 90% of the time and don't switch to Shiro - because I don't need to, the fight gets over too fast, especially with that alacrity you're dropping with F4 (Orders from Above). In open world, feel free to drop your heal as needed and work in your other utilities as needed. And, if you really get into a panic soloing stuff...just spam whatever's off cooldown until you can get back on an even footing. :)

@StormyFae.2761 said:I'm at the point where I have to choose one.

Just to make sure, both elite specializations will be available to you. They are not mutually exclusive. They obviously both require 250 Hero points each, but there are 300+ hero points in core Tyria (each hero challenge grants 1 points), 400 in HoT and 250 in PoF (each hero challenge grants 10).

@StormyFae.2761 said:I play all pve right now but want to start fractals because I'm working on Mawdry and I've done everything up to stuff you can only get in fractals. Thanks!

For fractals you'll want to start with Renegade for the alacrity it can provide. Aim for exotic armor, berserker is fine. Try to get diviner ascended trinkets from living world season 3/4/5 maps. You'll want to aim for 80+ boon duration initially (you can use food/enhancements to compensate for lacking boon duration initially). That should set you up nicely for fractals.

For most collections that are not fractal specific you only need to do tier 1 fractals. Those are quite easy. A power berserker renegade/shiro dps will do well. But herald will work just fine in tier 1. Actually, anything works in tier 1, it's more important that you pay attention to the environment and mechanics and don't die too much.It would be good to know what your skills do. Some will save your life and you should know what CC is.So quick guide for tier 1 fractals only. No alacrity boon support, no diviner gear, no condi options, just basic power dps. This is actually a bad guide if you want to progress further. In tier 1 people don't stack and often have no clue what is going on. 1 player can carry a whole group.
Get berserker gear, exotics for starters, try to get ascended rings, amulet and trinkets those are easy or whatever you have access to. Sword/sword and staff. Make a build that focuses on power dmg. Elites will help. Get a full set of proper runes and sigils those will help a lot. Know what your skills do, learn to CC. Learn what agony resistance does (prevents dmg from certain mechanics) and get as much as the fractal you want to do requires (would recommend you start with early fractals that don't require any). Get into fractals, mash buttons that do dmg on monsters, CC when blue bar appears. Observe mechanics and try to carry them out. Survive. Win.If you do that you will probably be above the average tier 1 player. And that is fine for tier 1. Berserker set is always useful so you want that anyway.If you like fractals and want more than just those few tier 1 fracs for collection work on boon support alaren that the previous posters described. A basic build for that should be available on meta battle or anywhere because it is one of the mandatory builds for harder content.In the end, you can just join some tier 1 fractals and wing it. It's what many do when they first step in there and that's just fine.

• 2 weeks later...

@"Kaltyn of Torbins Deep.2946" said:If you want to run a renegade, then you need to train that elite. Herald is the Heart of Thorns elite, Renegade PoF's. I still run the vast majority of all my toons on Exotic gear, so, not having ascended is only a problem once fractals start requiring Agony Resistance.

So to your question - Herald means that it is a build using the Herald elite spec - Glint. DPS means that the role that build fills in the team is DPS (Damage Per Second), i.e. your job in the group is to do damage. Condi means that it is a condition damage build - if it says Power, then it is a power damage build.

I basically run the Raid Renegade Boon Support Power DPS build on my Renegade for everything - open world, fractals, etc. I follow the build and the rotation info at metabattle for that build, but, IIRC, I run marauder's armor with Superior runes of the Pack, Diviner's weapons (superior sigils of concentration and accuracy), and diviner's trinkets. With Potent lucent oils and soul pastries, that get's me to upp 90% boon uptime (98-99%) and 55-65% crit chance. And with that build, you only need about 85% boon uptime to keep 100% uptime on alacrity just hitting "Orders from Above" on cool down.

Thank you so much, I was not sure if the build I'm running was ok for fractalbut you gave-me the path!I'm already running full marauder with diviner trinkets but my weapon is berserker.

A quick note on your gear: if you want to play Condi Herald or Alacrity Renegade, you'll need fairly specific gear with very limited availability: Trailblazer (for Herald) or Diviner (for Renegade). Since these are expensive and rare (TB needs expensive Maguuma Lilies, Diviner needs Season 4, Thunderhead Keep). Instead of grinding these out, your best friend is full stat-select gear. Bladed armor pieces can be attained through playing the Verdant Brink meta, as well as the three faction merchants of Maguuma, and is fairly cheap (~1GP and a few hundred map currency per piece, vs 12-15 GP in materials or TP buy). For trinkets, apart from the few stat select items at two thirds power (Forgotten Seal, Candy Corn Orichalcum Amulet, Death Mark), it'd be a good idea to outright skip the tier, and head straight for the Season 3 Ascended stuff. You'll need 15k Unbound Magic, and a few hundred of different S3 map currencies to complete the set (20k and a few hundred more if you need the back piece, too).For general PvE, my current Renegade runs this: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?Pm0AUxzldQLMHaj1QasHKj9RjsAygJvl/LF-zRhYBJBiQSQIGSFsSIoiqucaLCqLA7LgiIQiNFqoIMZA-eIt features full uptime of Fury, Vigor, 100% crit chance (while Endurance is full), and starts off at 15 Might, quickly ramping up to 25 after a few seconds, while offering truly oppressive CC, damage, and sustain in general PvE. Switch secondary legend to Shiro if you want more DPS, but know that the dwarf functions better in melee.In Fractals, she switches over slightly to this: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?Pm0AUxzldQLMHaj1QasHKj9RjsAygpyl9rH-zRhYBJBiQSQIGSFsSIoiqucaLCqLA7LgiIQiNFqoIMZA-eFull team Alacrity, constant 10 Might, and frequent Protection, Stability, CC, and whatever else is needed.