Integration of Lore in map.

Tazer.2157

The maps in this game are beautiful but for someone who hasn't played GW1, I lose out a lot on the lore. Points of interest are of no interest to me because they do not mean anything. I would love to know the history of the place and I think it would really help map exploration if I was told such a place exists and get some back story about it.

I really hope for the next expansion where we go into Cantha, the relevance of some POIs are noted either by in- game NPC conversations, books, or even hover over text and loading screen text. It would make the maps feel so much more alive and interesting. I remember in Skyrim, we had books that told us about monsters and loot in certain locations that we could go to as a player. This made exploration so much fun and GW2 needs some of it.

Many have long asked for a Bestiary or Diary like feature added to the Hero Pannel that will provide us with information about the world.. I am a huge fan of something like this and it could be made into a really cool quest for Gw2 as well challenging each player to hunt down every kind of enemy type, and POI etc per character to unlock the information contained in those notes.

Not all point's of interest need a dossier full of information about them, some could have a few fun facts about the history of the location, others could have major history and lore going back centuries and some wouldn't need to have a dossier entry at all.

As for enemies, details about behaviour, abilities, health and other combat data like stats could be provided as well as some facts and common loot/resource info.Big named enemies could have far more information provided about them like backstories about the terror and destruction they have wrought on the world and where they came from.And animals could just have short descriptions, stats and combat info as well as notes about their habitats/locations and whether they are charmable by rangers, could also display the kind of resources they can drop too such as specific meat, hides etc.

Could also be extended to nodes as well, after harvesting a node for the first time it'll give you some basic information about that node, the tool needed to harvest it and which maps that node can be found in.

There's a lot that could be packed into a Bestiary like this, a fun quest that will involve you running all over tyria and doing everything to complete it.Plus the information that could be made available may end up being really helpful to a lot of people, specially the combat data of specific mobs and their skills.Specially that of boss creatures, raid bosses etc.

The bestiary is too much work and I doubt can be made in time. You are right when you say that not all pois need back story. But I think some really need them to make the maps feel more alive. Cantha for many is a foreign land, I know nothing about it and it would be interesting to know a little history and important regions in the map.

The easiest way to do this is to have lore displaced when we hover our mouse over pois or just put in tidbits of lore into loading screens.

Sometimes you can get the lore or background from NPCs in the area. For example the Cauldron of Searing POI won't tell you anything about what it is or why it's there, but the charr and the human arguing about it will. Others are explained through events or because they tie into the story.

It would be nice if they could do something like that for all the ones that have a backstory. Not necessarily an NPC standing right there specifically answering your questions about it, but someone or something nearby who can give you the information.

@Tazer.2157 said:

@Hesione.9412 said:The wiki contains lore, although perhaps not as much as some people would like. Have you looked at the wiki to get the history?

That breaks the immersion doesn’t it? I don’t details in game, a little would be nice to have tho.

Other than having to open a separate window is it any more immersion breaking to read it on the Wiki than in a pop-up, as if your character suddenly just knows the history of a place they've never been to before?

That's why my preference is to get the information from people, or maybe books, plaques on monuments and things, in the area. It explains not just what this place is but how you or your character knows about it. Admittedly it makes the information harder to find, but I don't mind that, it gives me another reason to explore.

Wouldn't have been a bad idea as a general concept, and perhaps still possible to a small degree in the fashion Danikat described with the Cauldron or something similar, but its not likely to be as wide spread in EoD and its more or less too late for existing content. I recommend tossing your idea on https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/53097/suggestions-qol-quality-of-life-ideas-merged/p59 , allegedly Arenanet Dev's actually check that thread.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It makes me think of something. Don't remember if it's zelda spirit tracks, there is a system where you have a journal in which you can get a stamp for each station visited. I think Gw2 could do something similar, you have let's say, name of poi + a screenshot and few lines of lores/description. There is already an element that can justify it in game: the tyrian explorer society that send you a mail each time a map is complete.

We already have an achiev about finding chairs, we get rewarded for map and world complete. For collecting all the dungeon weapons and armors. Why not linking something to PoI and reinstroducing the planned but scrapped bestoary idea too, too many foes and allies but not a lot known about them in game, without external sources.