New year's festival is still.... Meh....

I made about 40g off of 120 of those divine envelopes, and that was doing the whole shebang -> Buying black lion MF boosts, SW, everything (had about 957% MF). It was kind of disappointing. I feel like if I was being efficient, I just would have bought my 8 every day and sold on the AH. Extracting that 50s per envelope is a lot of effort, and kind of sickening when I realized I was using a cash shop bonus as part of it (I know you can get it through other means, in fact I did, but I don't want to waste my miniatures on them and/or spend time farming keys on map completion/story) .

I think I made a paltry 2-3g off of my smaller envelopes I got from doing the race and lighting events each day. I was probably spending 40 mins a day on this festival and only getting a few extra gold per day. I probably could have made up the difference by running fractals or being super focused on better metas (and could have made close to half, if not more, just buying the 8 envelopes and being done with it).

I feel like I could easily make more cash grinding just about any other festival, and that's disappointing, especially with the effort of completing SW metas and going through the trouble of buying & gathering all those buffs from my bank, guild traders, etc. I feel like the fully boosted profit should be the base profit and it goes up from there.

@Oxstar.7643 said:Festivals are about fun, not profit. While you should absolutely be able to do both, if all you care about is making gold then you're missing the spirit of it.That said, I too am displeased with the festival, but for different reasons.

MMO players are usually driven by rewards because of how unforgiving they are with all the time gating, etc.

@Firebeard.1746 said:

@"Neoniac.2813" said:got 1300 gold from ~700 divine envelopes and some other bags i collected along festival with near max mf , it might be your luck

What MF buffs are you using? You're getting double what I am with 900+% MF.

I did 2 other openings with worse results, overall I probably earned about 400 total from the festival.

Scroll down on this page and you see all the buffs.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Magic_Find

mainly 4 boosters from black lion chest/birthday and the silverwaste 5 event and meta completion I would guess they used tho.

@Firebeard.1746 said:

@Oxstar.7643 said:Festivals are about fun, not profit. While you should absolutely be able to do both, if all you care about is making gold then you're missing the spirit of it.That said, I too am displeased with the festival, but for different reasons.

MMO players are usually driven by rewards because of how unforgiving they are with all the time gating, etc.

If that's how you have fun in games then more power to ya =)

I always do these festival thingies for unique items only these festivals can offer.. like delicious rice balls. But if only anet was lenient on those drop rates for that food... I got lot of food cosumables from wintersday but lunar new year is a big disappointment for me... Opening those envelopes gave me only mere quantity of those del rice balls... But the only positive thing from the envelopes, it gave luck and I increased my permanent luck to +4%

@Linken.6345 said:

@"Neoniac.2813" said:got 1300 gold from ~700 divine envelopes and some other bags i collected along festival with near max mf , it might be your luck

What MF buffs are you using? You're getting double what I am with 900+% MF.

I did 2 other openings with worse results, overall I probably earned about 400 total from the festival.

Scroll down on this page and you see all the buffs.

mainly 4 boosters from black lion chest/birthday and the silverwaste 5 event and meta completion I would guess they used tho.

I used all that. FML

There are very large data sets if you look at reddit/youtube/discords to see drop rates.To talk about what the OP brought up though, we use to make way more gold but this festival has been nerf'd twice now over the last few years. It'd be nice if there was more content of some kind to do to bring it in line with how jam packed the other festivals feel, let alone the gold making availability there are from the others but it seems like aside from the races added and the Celestial Challenge event we didn't much because it came with nerfs to the Envelopes and while the new event is nice it just wasn't enough as it's really only used for a daily and nothing else to aim for from it.

@"Firebeard.1746" said:I think I made a paltry 2-3g off of my smaller envelopes I got from doing the race and lighting events each day. I was probably spending 40 mins a day on this festival and only getting a few extra gold per day. I probably could have made up the difference by running fractals or being super focused on better metas (and could have made close to half, if not more, just buying the 8 envelopes and being done with it).

I feel like I could easily make more cash grinding just about any other festival, and that's disappointing, especially with the effort of completing SW metas and going through the trouble of buying & gathering all those buffs from my bank, guild traders, etc. I feel like the fully boosted profit should be the base profit and it goes up from there.

You think that was Meh ... wait until you see the other festivals!

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate that there's "something different to do" every now and then, but it's never going to be a better way to grind gold than a finely honed method you use every day.

I would suggest playing for fun and taking the gold as a nice benefit, rather than expecting better currency rewards than a regular activity.

I get it, there's an oriental gambling culture that this festival is themed after - fair enough, but we all know gambling never pays and I think a miserly reward is Anet's way of reminding us of that.