Upcoming Balance Notes

@Axl.8924 said:

the overall wvw experience is horrible.

I can only disagree. Lets say WvW isnt perfect and can be frustrating sometimes whatever if you are zerging, roaming etc but its a great game. After 40 years of gaming... I never played any game so involving and exciting!JQ arena in gw1 was all about strategy, killing people and die didnt matter at all. I just hope that the next expansion will bring JQ back since the arena was in Cantha. I saw something on the forum about it but I dont know much yet.

After years of EQ1, I played DAoC. Even though rudimentary, the way that keeps were structured, their innate defenses, how hookpoints were created, materials handling, and the benefits of owning disputed territories was much superior. It also did not have the absurd glowing arrows floating above everyone's head, so you actually had to be alert, and have much more situational awareness than in this game. I really do not care for PvP, as I think it is simply laziness on the part of game devs who are to cheap to put out decent content and plenty of it. I do not mind it as a side effect of immersive gameplay, but mindless, overpowering, unstoppable zerging has no redeeming qualities whatever.

EQ1 isn't a good example of pvp, since it was busted op. A warr with 400 resistance to all was neigh impossible since he resisted everything. PVP was unbalanced.

I never played DAOC though but i can talk about wow PVP:

Sure it was unbalanced in WOTLK but it was the most fun i had during TBC and WOTLK even if DK were insane and druids could basically regen through all attacks. It was offset by having weaknesses some classes could exploit, such as being purged by shaman repeatedly and priest.

The reason is that perfect balance is a simple impossibility, but you can make said classes fun to play to the point you got so many counters to something that you need to think about, it makes the game more fun for me at least. Wow suffers from something similar to GW2, and many look back to a nostalgic time of WOTLK and TBC.

Anet needs to be careful about listening to folks too much and wreck classes. Also: I believe 1 good thing to take from wow is this: Having someone who truly cares about the class and remembers to play around a lot to get a idea of whats wrong. I remember that on forums folks were complaining because they had staff that was split and some classes were less cared for than others other than the bottom line: Profit.

So personally i think we should have 1 developer for each class, so problems get dealt with and can speak passionately about said class to fix.

I am talking about WvW, which i agree has devolved into forced PvP, rather than any kind of strategy or game designed around realm conflict. EQ1 has nothing to do with PvP imo, nor with WvW, but it is an excellent example of interesting classes, and a myriad of cool powers/abilities/spells by a vast array of classes - which is sorely lacking in GW2.

WvW in GW2 is beyond broken. It suffers from fundamental problems relating to the desire of certain devs to control "how" people play, and trying to force them to play in certain ways, etc - they frequently admit it! The "castles" are absurdly designed with all of the (easily destroyed by hand weaponry) defenses and (absurdly expensive and weak) siege on weak, low walls exposed to every kind of fire; the farms are remote, and very poorly defended with no way to upgrade those defenses to anything sensible; "guards" in this game are some of the weakest I have ever seen anywhere, and with very poor AI; numerous bugs with targeting, LOS for archery, etc - coupled with inconsistent physics for other things like rifles and mortars (and by the way, rifles shoot much further than arrows do, folks); mount bugs that send you off cliffs and random directions when you try and get on your "warclaw"; seige that does nothing against attackers, etc, etc, etc. Top that all off with one of the worst implementations of stealth I have ever seen in a game (e.g., stealthing while in combat or dotted, repeatedly stealthing, almost no ways to force out of stealth (and all of which are purgeable), using a bow to stealth teleport in any direction - including across gaps with no valid path or up onto ledges and the like, stealthing while driving a dune roller, and so forth. The very poor design, and weak mechanics ,make it unfun to play. I doubt it will be fixed given the resources it would take.

• Confused 1