[UPDATED] Guild Wars 2 is Coming to Steam - [Merged]

@lare.5129 said:Before anonce that Anet say something about Steam I don't knwo what some place called as Steam exist at all. So I can't predict ho many people want use that from existing accounts. And ready that pay or not.

Steam is massive. It’s the biggest and most established gaming platform in the world. At its peak last year, it set a record of 24 million people online through it at the same time. For you not to have heard of it is very unusual given I think it’s about 75% of the global pc market

So the demand for players wanting to use existing accounts us going to be high, so there is likely a very significant block Anet are unable to easily overcome if they aren’t allowing accounts to transfer over

I doubt it is as simple as flipping a switch for existing accounts to use Steam. Maybe they will tell us why and maybe they wont but it doesn't hold any value for me anyway. The only reason I have Steam is to play Half Life 2 every now and then. It serves no purpose to me otherwise. I assume this wallet feature is significant? The OP is not the first person I've seen mention it.

@Super Hayes.6890 said:I doubt it is as simple as flipping a switch for existing accounts to use Steam. Maybe they will tell us why and maybe they wont but it doesn't hold any value for me anyway. The only reason I have Steam is to play Half Life 2 every now and then. It serves no purpose to me otherwise. I assume this wallet feature is significant? The OP is not the first person I've seen mention it.

It’s a platform currency for buying anything that is on Steam. Most gaming retail shops sell gift cards which can be used to top up your wallet

@Randulf.7614 said:

@Super Hayes.6890 said:I doubt it is as simple as flipping a switch for existing accounts to use Steam. Maybe they will tell us why and maybe they wont but it doesn't hold any value for me anyway. The only reason I have Steam is to play Half Life 2 every now and then. It serves no purpose to me otherwise. I assume this wallet feature is significant? The OP is not the first person I've seen mention it.

It’s a platform currency for buying anything that is on Steam. Most gaming retail shops sell gift cards which can be used to top up your wallet

So basically what gem cards already do for existing accounts but more widely available at retail level. I can see the appeal of that.

@Super Hayes.6890 said:

So basically what gem cards already do for existing accounts but more widely available at retail level. I can see the appeal of that.

Yes pretty much

Steam release is in the same place as the legendary armory and alliances, Vaporware. It would not surprise me if the announcement was just a smoke screen to make advertisement page on the platform.Again this is from a company that over the years has eroded the trust that they can deliver a product. The ball is 100% in anets court, to regain my trust, all it would take is meaningful updates to all of these announcements that never had follow through. Even if they are cancelled, i would be good enough with that.

People that already made their account without Steam ... should not even have the need to be able to use their account on Steam. I mean ... if they just can download the game without Steam and play it there.

This is probably mainly so people from Steam can have it more convenient: The players that are new to the game and find it through Steam/advertising there. System then conveniently might just log them in with their Steam account and some GW2 account/id created by this.

I don't think it would be easy to migrate the other accounts to Steam. Unless they just decide to not use Steam for authentication at all. They could - just like some other services (Ubisoft I think) pop up their own launcher after trying to start the game from Steam. Where you could login with your mail + password (normal account) and new players from Steam would have to register there as well.

Actually I prefer it. For games without accounts (single player and old stuff) I prefer Steam. But there is still the risk that Steam might shut down at some point. (Though it is unlikely.) Easier to have the game accounts for MMO directly by the provider of that MMO to avoid other troubles.

@Cyninja.2954 said:

@Sandokhan.4913 said:Ok, ANET, you got me excited for about 15 seconds. Why the HELL can´t we use our existing accounts on Steam?

Steam takes a 30% cut. Why exactly would Arenanet be willing to forfeit that revenue on existing accounts?

It makes sense for new accounts which were created via the Steam popularity or potential increase of the player base since those are players who otherwise would maybe not have made accounts or tried/played this game. What exactly does Steam do for existing accounts though? Are you intending to spend more money on the game once it is ported to Steam? Are you willing to spend more per gem to make up for the loss in revenue? Do you think this holds true for a majority of the existing player base?

There´s a reason Steam takes 30% cut, you knwow. It´s incredibly popular and easy in the way of payment.I can whip out my phone and I´ll have balance addded to my Steam account in 30 seconds.I don´t spend any money on GW2 as it is. I WOULD if I could use my Steam wallet.

So, ANET would rather get 0 dollars from me than letting me spend money through Steam, even with a 30% cut?Ok, then.

I would suspect that your situation would be in the minority. Anet is a business that exists to make money for its shareholders. Their decisions on this subject are most likely driven by numbers on a spreadsheet that tell them whether or not it is profitable to allow existing accounts to migrate to Steam.

@kharmin.7683 said:I would suspect that your situation would be in the minority. Anet is a business that exists to make money for its shareholders. Their decisions on this subject are most likely driven by numbers on a spreadsheet that tell them whether or not it is profitable to allow existing accounts to migrate to Steam.

Minority? I highly doubt that. On a business standpoint is a no brainer: better to get 70% of something than 100% of nothing.That´s why most games end up on Steam. Game developers see that people spend way more money there than on their respective launchers.

@Sandokhan.4913 said:

@Sandokhan.4913 said:Ok, ANET, you got me excited for about 15 seconds. Why the HELL can´t we use our existing accounts on Steam?

Steam takes a 30% cut. Why exactly would Arenanet be willing to forfeit that revenue on existing accounts?

It makes sense for new accounts which were created via the Steam popularity or potential increase of the player base since those are players who otherwise would maybe not have made accounts or tried/played this game. What exactly does Steam do for existing accounts though? Are you intending to spend more money on the game once it is ported to Steam? Are you willing to spend more per gem to make up for the loss in revenue? Do you think this holds true for a majority of the existing player base?

There´s a reason Steam takes 30% cut, you knwow. It´s incredibly popular and easy in the way of payment.

Yes, I do know. My Steam account is likely older than most players here have played GW2 and is very likely valued higher than most players have spent in their lifetime on GW2 or on games in general (11+ years of service medal only short of 12 years).

That does not change in any way what I said about Steam taking a 30% cut on OLD accounts without providing ANY benefit in generating those accounts.

@Sandokhan.4913 said:I can whip out my phone and I´ll have balance addded to my Steam account in 30 seconds.

While I don't doubt that ease of acquiring balance in game is a benefit, I doubt it is the major reason why players do or do not acquire gems.

@Sandokhan.4913 said:I don´t spend any money on GW2 as it is. I WOULD if I could use my Steam wallet.

So, you would suddenly spend money on a game which you saw no reason to in any way spend money on so far? I'm sure you would. /s

I'm not so sure this holds true for a majority of players. The barrier to acquire gems is not that high for a majority of players. The harsh reality here is: there is a very high chance that players who have not been spending money on the game so far will continue to not spend money on the game no matter if their account is on Steam or not. While players who have been spending money on the game are more likely to continue spending money on the game, no matter if the account is linked to Steam or not.

@Sandokhan.4913 said:So, ANET would rather get 0 dollars from me than letting me spend money through Steam, even with a 30% cut?Ok, then.

Arenanet wants the full 100% revenue from existing players and not have to share that revenue with a digital distributor who did nothing in acquiring those accounts.

@Sandokhan.4913 said:

There´s a reason Steam takes 30% cut, you knwow. It´s incredibly popular and easy in the way of payment.I can whip out my phone and I´ll have balance addded to my Steam account in 30 seconds.I don´t spend any money on GW2 as it is. I WOULD if I could use my Steam wallet.

So, ANET would rather get 0 dollars from me than letting me spend money through Steam, even with a 30% cut?Ok, then.

Just make a new account with steam and the gift yourself the items to your main account.

@Cyninja.2954 said:

@Sandokhan.4913 said:I don´t spend any money on GW2 as it is. I WOULD if I could use my Steam wallet.

So, you would suddenly spend money on a game which you saw no reason to in any way spend money on so far? I'm sure you would. /s

I SURE would. I play this thing since beta. If I didn´t like the game I wouldn´t be playing, would I?I´ll admit I don´t play as much as I´d like, due to work, family, children and so on, but I still love GW2 and play it as often as I can.I didn´t spend money on the game not because I saw no reason. Far from it. I have a TON of stuff I wish I could, but GW2 is pretty much my only non Steam game.

If I could use steam wallet to buy stuff, I would certainly make things easier, since all my games are Steam and I pretty much always have balance.

@Sandokhan.4913 said:

I SURE would. I play this thing since beta. If I didn´t like the game I wouldn´t be playing, would I?I´ll admit I don´t play as much as I´d like, due to work, family, children and so on, but I still love GW2 and play it as often as I can.I didn´t spend money on the game not because I saw no reason. Far from it. I have a TON of stuff I wish I could, but GW2 is pretty much my only non Steam game.

If I could use steam wallet to buy stuff, I would certainly make things easier, since all my games are Steam and I pretty much always have balance.

...but instead of transferring cash into steam, you can simply buy gems in gw2. I don't see where that sudden change would be supposed to come from. This really seems like a made up "I'd totally pay you anet!" bait for the sake of being addicted to steam launcher and just adding a game to the list.

• Confused 1

@Sobx.1758 said:

...but instead of transferring cash into steam, you can simply buy gems in gw2. I don't see where that sudden change would be supposed to come from. This really seems like a made up "I'd totally pay you anet!" bait for the sake of being addicted to steam launcher and just adding a game to the list.

for some people buying gems via gw2 (paypal/creditcard) and paying with us dollars/euro makes it cost more on top of the exchange rate. i am also aware that paypal has the option to charge in your local currency but that still doesn't match steam wallet's availability (can top up via local credit card, gift cards, bank transfer, atm, convenience store payments, buy/selling on the steam market earns you wallet cash, etc.)

steam wallet on the other hand with or without regional pricing in effect will charge you in your local currency (safer, no excess charges from banks, etc.) based on your account region -- this alone already makes it easier than gw2's current payment methods (and yes paysafecard - the third payment option, is not as widely available as steam gift cards.. infact i've never seen a physical one, only digital codes sold online)

for the sake of being addicted to steam launcher and just adding a game to the list.

for others like me, it's not about the steam launcher, or having the overlay (infact i hate the steam overlay) ... it's more about being able to spend money on gw2's cash shop easier and "cheaper"

@"Astyrah.4015" said:

Hey, I'm not looking for guesses, I was curious about his specific reason, but I guess thanks for helping him in case he couldn't come up with one :)

About it being "cheaper" -steam takes money from anet, anet doesn't like losing money, so maybe it still wouldn't really be cheaper.Also what he wrote in his post I was responding to:

I didn´t spend money on the game not because I saw no reason. Far from it. I have a TON of stuff I wish I could, but GW2 is pretty much my only non Steam game.

Seems a bit closer to my take than yours, but maybe I'm somehow reading it wrong.

• Confused 1

@"Sobx.1758" said:About it being "cheaper" -steam takes money from anet, anet doesn't like losing money, so maybe it still wouldn't really be cheaper.

about it being cheaper i meant, not having to deal with exchange rates and charges some banks put on you if you buy something not in your local currency -- buying something online in your local currency is almost always much "cheaper" in a sense

and about anet losing money, it's money they didnt have to begin with if steam takes 30% cut from sales then better 70% goes to arenanet than nothing at all. i don't see arenanet losing in anyway here

but yeah, given how there's been no new info regarding being able to link steam accounts and existing arenanet accounts (like if they changed their mind or they still firm on their decision) -or- even anything about the steam release at all, like no release date even or anything, my fallback is getting an alt account on steam when it comes out and gifting my main account gemstore stuff from that. so when/if the steam version does come out i'll have it my way still (hopefully)

@"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:Except for all the items you can't 'gift', like Account Upgrades, etc.

yeah those are fine even if you can't gift them. i already bought a lot of account stuff in the past via paypal during the march and sept gemstore sales of years past. but for most things on the gemstore like mount skins or what, if i can have them "cheaper" i would

@Astyrah.4015 said:

@"Sobx.1758" said:About it being "cheaper" -steam takes money from anet, anet doesn't like losing money, so maybe it still wouldn't really be cheaper.and about anet losing money, it's money they didnt have to begin with if steam takes 30% cut from sales then better 70% goes to arenanet than nothing at all. i don't see arenanet losing in anyway here

You don't? If they let the old accounts join the steam then they lose the steam cut from all of those players they previously didn't. Then they're taking a gamble if you'll actually increase the playerbase that will spend and cover for that loss, aye?

• Confused 1

@Sobx.1758 said:

@Sobx.1758 said:About it being "cheaper" -steam takes money from anet, anet doesn't like losing money, so maybe it still wouldn't really be cheaper.and about anet losing money, it's money they didnt have to begin with if steam takes 30% cut from sales then better 70% goes to arenanet than nothing at all. i don't see arenanet losing in anyway here

You don't? If they let the old accounts join the steam then they lose
the steam cut
from all of those players they previously didn't. Then they're taking a gamble if you'll actually increase the playerbase that will spend and cover for that loss, aye?

not really going to argue after this but sure they lose a cut. but some people who are currently playing also currently do not "pay" and just convert gold to gems to buy for the most part. by giving a new payment method via steam wallet, losses aside, they may actually make "paying" customers out of those gold to gem people if they have access to a much more convenient and "cheaper" payment method.

@Astyrah.4015 said:

@Sobx.1758 said:About it being "cheaper" -steam takes money from anet, anet doesn't like losing money, so maybe it still wouldn't really be cheaper.and about anet losing money, it's money they didnt have to begin with if steam takes 30% cut from sales then better 70% goes to arenanet than nothing at all. i don't see arenanet losing in anyway here

the steam cut
from all of those players they previously didn't. Then they're taking a gamble if you'll actually increase the playerbase that will spend and cover for that loss, aye?

not really going to argue after this but sure they lose a cut. but
some
people who are currently playing also currently do not "pay" and just convert gold to gems to buy for the most part. by giving a new payment method via steam wallet, losses aside, they may actually make "paying" customers out of those gold to gem people if they have access to a much more convenient and "cheaper" payment method.

These are some bold assumptions based on nothing. I don't see why people that are already mainly/only going gold>gem road would suddenly start paying just because they were on steam. This seems to be simply false.

• Confused 1

@Sobx.1758 said:

the steam cut

not really going to argue after this but sure they lose a cut. but
some
people who are currently playing also currently do not "pay" and just convert gold to gems to buy for the most part. by giving a new payment method via steam wallet, losses aside, they may actually make "paying" customers out of those gold to gem people if they have access to a much more convenient and "cheaper" payment method.

These are some bold assumptions based on nothing. I don't see why people that are already mainly/only going gold>gem road would sudenly start paying just because they were on steam. This seems to be simply wrong.

i didnt say they would. i said they may. so no one would suddenly start buying gems/pay. but yeah let's just agree to disagree with each other.