I hope dragons in cantha doesn't look like the Lunar Maned Skyscale...

Hoover.6394

I was super excited to see the name from the update notes this morning, though the skin was disappointing. For me it doesn’t look like a oriental dragon at all, more like some weird dog/goat dragon from the NeverEnding story...

I mean it’s ok for Anet to design skin with any look they like but if they are aiming for an oriental dragon look skin then there’s a few features:

1: Oriental dragon has mane, but only on the head and the beard (both around the face and two long ones like the carp). Other part like the spine and the tail should look more like fish fins.

2: Face of oriental dragon looks more like a Croc instead of a furry mammal, the dragon the often referred as the “King of the scale animals” (Phoenix is the king of the feathered).

1. The horns also usually look like a deer horn that spear like branches, not a goat horn...

4: for this skin they could try to just hide the wings model and the animation should already look good for walk and fly. They already got really nice animaition of the body waving when flying and run.

I know It’s just a skin but since they named it Lunar Maned skyscale I’m a little worried that’s the direction they going to go with for Canthna creatures... hope they do more research and sketch on the authentic oriental dragon’s look, not because we can’t change the old tradition, just because I find they look truly more epic.

PS: Still love u Anet...

CfGRDBP.jpg

@Hoover.6394 said:Was super excited to see the name from the update notes this morning, those the skin was disappointing. For me it doesn’t look like a oriental dragon at all, more like some weird dog/goat dragon from the NeverEnding story...

it's like they slapped a dog's head on the skyscale's neck, added some fake mane extensions on the neck and called it a day lol

Ah... as sure as the sun rises I knew there’d be a post complaining about the new gemstone items. It is Tuesday, after all.

That said, you’re not wrong to express your opinion, and I kind of agree. I love this skin and would like them to use it in the world somewhere, but I hope it’s not the only, or one of very few, designs of dragons we get to see. Considering the name of the expansion is end of dragons, we’re fighting 1 more more elder dragon, AND this is the empire of the dragon, I find it very unlikely we won’t see many more dragon designs. Also, this is really kind of a lunar new year skin, not cantha. The real question is why did they add this the day the festival ends and not a week or two prior?

@Fenom.9457 said:Ah... as sure as the sun rises I knew there’d be a post complaining about the new gemstone items. It is Tuesday, after all.

That said, you’re not wrong to express your opinion, and I kind of agree. I love this skin and would like them to use it in the world somewhere, but I hope it’s not the only, or one of very few, designs of dragons we get to see. Considering the name of the expansion is end of dragons, we’re fighting 1 more more elder dragon, AND this is the empire of the dragon, I find it very unlikely we won’t see many more dragon designs. Also, this is really kind of a lunar new year skin, not cantha. The real question is why did they add this the day the festival ends and not a week or two prior?

Yeah I’m just so excited for Cantha and I have high hope for the art. I love GW2 for the visual and I think it’s the best, so I just hope they treat some of the concept art a bit more seriously

@"hatsamu.4327" said:I don't think it's supposed to be an oriental dragon. I think it's "lunar" because it's like a wolf-dragon-thing, like you'd see on DeviantArt. And other places.

I can see the reference from Spirited Away dragon, it’s a very unique new design they introduced in the movie with the wolf face and hairy body, and since then there are artists start to go that direction because the movie is famous.

In eastern mythology, dragons (called Loong) is a creature that lives in water either ocean or lake, and they have power to control water and weather, that’s why they are so powerful and treated like god because farming culture depends on the rain to get good harvest.

So those creature highly related to water animals, they are called the King of all scaled. Covered by a whole body of fur won’t do them good, they be always wet and swim super slow lol, I think it was a bad design decision for that movie anyway...

I didn't think, from the name, it would have anything to do with Cantha, or any oriental-type dragon.

The art team does know how to fashion oriental dragons: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mini_Mystical_Dragonhttps://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mini_Snow_Flurry_Dragon

That said, barring a significant change with different dyes, it's not my cup of Oolong tea.

@"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:I didn't think, from the name, it would have anything to do with Cantha, or any oriental-type dragon.

The art team does know how to fashion oriental dragons: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mini_Mystical_Dragonhttps://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mini_Snow_Flurry_Dragon

That said, barring a significant change with different dyes, it's not my cup of Oolong tea.

Yeah I think they do know how to model a oriental dragon, this skin is just a lazier approach to re-model the skyscale, it’s fine, but they could do a little bit more, for example a bigger and more stylized head fur (like the fur style on the Shrine guardian Jackal skin) and it would already look much better.

@vicky.9751 said:Who is drawing these skins?:Xis there no quality control ? the recent springer skin was also very cringe.

Lol the springer grows on you, after it's dyed. Unintentionally received one from a chest... surprise. Now I find it quite whimsical, like a kangaroo rat.

I will be interested to see more of the new skyscales flying about, curious to see how they look in action.

It wouldn't surprise me if the way a lot of gem store skins come about is an artist does a bunch of designs, the people who create the 3D models make the ones they think are possible to do in the game, the best of them get chosen to go into the game and then the marketing team gives them names when they're going to be released, based on not just how the skin looks but what they're currently promoting.

This is coming out at the end of the Lunar New Year festival, so they stuck the word Lunar in the name. That doesn't mean the artist who designed it set out to design an Asian style dragon and somehown accidentally drew that instead, just that it was an available design at the right time and someone in marketing wanted to make it obvious it's tied to the Lunar New Year.

@Danikat.8537 said:It wouldn't surprise me if the way a lot of gem store skins come about is an artist does a bunch of designs, the people who create the 3D models make the ones they think are possible to do in the game, the best of them get chosen to go into the game and then the marketing team gives them names when they're going to be released, based on not just how the skin looks but what they're currently promoting.

This is coming out at the end of the Lunar New Year festival, so they stuck the word Lunar in the name. That doesn't mean the artist who designed it set out to design an Asian style dragon and somehown accidentally drew that instead, just that it was an available design at the right time and someone in marketing wanted to make it obvious it's tied to the Lunar New Year.

Kinda agree, probably just a bad naming... I’m ok with this skin’s look, just worry that the art department will associate the furry/dog looking features with eastern dragon design, that’s it...

A lot of people think it’s acceptable because the furry dragon design in Spirited Away, personality I think Ghibli did a bad design by giving the dragon lot of furs, specially it is a water/river-god dragon. It should look more like a serpent or reptile. Feel like they did that to try to look different and cool...

Furry dragon could be a good idea if it’s some kind of arctic monster...