PvP and Bots scene

Sunit.1698

@Multicolorhipster.9751 said:

@"Firebeard.1746" said:Just climb the fractal ladder, losing in SpVP IS NOT more efficient than doing just about any meta and/or fractals. Just selling the mats of even the worst LW metas is probably more efficient than 3/pips per game, especially if you're a filthy casual and can't finish the track that season.Well botting anything is free money. bots basically give players infinite time to earn things. Even if the returns are bad, it's still worth it if you don't have to do anything. it's free money.

I honestly don't know what you mean. It's just one of, if not the best way to get gold with little-no sorts of limitations/diminishing returns. You could really grind it all day if you hated yourself enough, or if you were literally inhuman(AKA bot) Maybe not the best g per hour, but it certainly isn't trash money by any means, and like you say; for minimal effort, which is perfect for bots.

No, people are cheating. I think that's the real problem. Maybe the matchmaker is bad. Hypothetically if there's a large enough population and a decent elo system, people should be hitting 50% win rates and these streaks of losses wouldn't happen that cause people to get so upset. The REAL issue is manipulation and if wins are more incentivized, you'll see more of it.

I'm not saying that people aren't. I was just trying to stick to the topic.

It's the core issue. If the ELO system actually worked and wasn't being milked, people would have 50/50 win rates and not be crying.

Match manipulation is an issue, but if winning gave more pips and losing gave no pips I don't feel like that would have any sort of effect on Match Manipulation. The high-rated players that actually do that aren't doing it for the gold from pip chests. They're doing it for titles and high leaderboard spots that will boost the value of their account in terms of real money. That, or for clout. Nobody is match manipulating for pips/gold from games.

The incentive is already there, and DuoQ's made it 60-IQ easy to do anyway.

You think 3x the pips isn't worth it?

I don't know where this number is coming from.If the pips gain for winning was even doubled, if you got 0 as a base gain for losses, it would still probably be an overall loss in gold per hour for a bot with a slightly below average winrate or a player barely trying and pulling about the same amount of wins.

You still get rewards from reward tracks. It's not 0. I'm specifically saying winning gets you literally 3x the gold (10 pips as opposed to just 3).

You're still COMPLETELY ignoring my comment about ELO. There is a massive issue if people are having huge loss streaks. Even if everyone is just auto'ing, at some point, if the elo system ACTUALLY WORKED, those people would eventually be matched together and get the 50/50 win rate, bots or no. The REAL issue is manipulation. Or perhaps a broken elo system (i think it's the former).

Also, why are you admitting that people are manipulating matches in their favor and then saying that taking away loss rewards is healthy for the game? Basically, you want only a few people to actually win anything, reading between the lines here. Who's going to put up with that? I'm not. I'm done, that measly 3/pips per win can go eff itself while I WvW or do just about anything else for better reward. The only thing that profits off of the "participation" award is bots.

Your solution, at best, ignoring reward track MIGHT get bots out of the scene, but people will whine here about manipulation, OR just stop playing altogether as the same 5 people keep winning everything.

I'm too lazy to do the actual math, but if you want me to, i'll try.

Modern bots in WoW are far more effective than human players, and if someone implemented one in GW2 they'd probably have a ridiculous win rate. This game has such a high skill cap, you're basically telling noobs to try the game mode and waste their time and maybe encouraging pro botting. It'll completely destroy the population, not just the bot population.

Why should we assume something like that is going to happen when it hasn't happened already? Literally nothing stopping anyone from making a bot like that right now or at any other point before now.

I actually think it has, there's been instances in matches where the players have felt hyper-coordinated to the point they're melting everyone almost instantly after a single CC goes off from one of them (players instantly swap to the same target, etc). Other players I've talked to have noted players switching targets to something way out of camera and the rotation speed not being fast enough for a human player.

I just think most people who play PVP just aren't paying enough attention to mechanics because of how hectic it can be and lots of people are not super experienced with the game.

As a side note, there are maps in the rotation that regularly drop Shiny baubles as bonus rewards on a rotation, that requires no start up and I'm sure has better ROI in terms of time. It's an average of 2 baubles per reward for the high level ones (check out the weekly map bonus reward rotations, but some of it backloaded on the 10x drops). Anyone can always sell mats, That's no start up cost either. ranked PVP for gold is really just an inexperienced player's go-to because it's obvious and in front of you. Guildies say it's 14g/hour on a good VB map when it drop baubles (not sure if that rotates). Spamming strikes is supposed to be 20g/hour average. It takes 18 matches, with a 100% win rate (which is unrealistic for most people) to get 29g from pips (34.4 if you count match rewards). I can get 4 matches/hour if I'm spamming SpVP. So it works out to 7g/hour WHEN YOU'RE WINNING 100% of the TIME. There is nothing more profitable about ranked. I want to make it really clear. WAY LESS so if you're losing. And even less gold if you're not playing on the top pip chest and still working up.

Long story short, taking out the participation rewards will punish real players who actually are still trying and getting screwed by the idiots driving this game mode further into the ground. There is a somewhat strong argument for it killing botting, but it will hurt the game mode EVEN more. And really the strategy would only work for as long as ELO is broken.

I think with an average win rate, it's probably not even competitive with T1 fractals if you have the mastery.

• Thanks 1

@"Firebeard.1746" said:It's the core issue. If the ELO system actually worked and wasn't being milked, people would have 50/50 win rates and not be crying.

I'm like 80% sure Gw2 uses Glicko

You still get rewards from reward tracks. It's not 0. I'm specifically saying winning gets you literally 3x the gold (10 pips as opposed to just 3).

I see what you're saying there now. Point still stands, as taking away the participation award will hurt the bot's bottom line.

You're still COMPLETELY ignoring my comment about ELO. There is a massive issue if people are having huge loss streaks. Even if everyone is just auto'ing, at some point, if the elo system ACTUALLY WORKED, those people would eventually be matched together and get the 50/50 win rate, bots or no. The REAL issue is manipulation. Or perhaps a broken elo system (i think it's the former).

Also, why are you admitting that people are manipulating matches in their favor and then saying that taking away loss rewards is healthy for the game? Basically, you want only a few people to actually win anything, reading between the lines here. Who's going to put up with that? I'm not. I'm done, that measly 3/pips per win can go eff itself while I WvW or do just about anything else for better reward. The only thing that profits off of the "participation" award is bots.

Your solution, at best, ignoring reward track MIGHT get bots out of the scene, but people will whine here about manipulation, OR just stop playing altogether as the same 5 people keep winning everything.

Just trying to give ideas relevant to the topic: bots. Not Match Manipulation.

I understand those topics are somewhat entwined, but getting the bots out would hurt Match Manipulation if anything.Ever since DuoQ came back, Match Manipulation hasn't really existed. There's metagaming; which, is arguably the same thing if not worse.

The way they go about that is DuoQing and then purposefully sniping the bots when actual-player counts are at their lowest, and they get the highest rating disparity possible.If the bots go away, that would probably hurt the people metagaming. If it doesn't, remove or split DuoQ.Or honestly... Both? Both. Both is good. Problem solved, say goodbye to those 100% winrates.

I don't think bots are going to try it for reduced reward track rewards alone, and they wouldn't be there for no reason at all.Even if more profitable farms exist, Ranked PvP still attracts a lot of them for some reason.

And that's pretty sad really. Like... Do you know what you get from winning Ranked matches in pretty much any other game? You get rating and the win. That's your reward.Do you know what you get for losing? Nothing, because its a loss.As it should be.

@Multicolorhipster.9751 said:

@"Firebeard.1746" said:It's the core issue. If the ELO system actually worked and wasn't being milked, people would have 50/50 win rates and not be crying.

I'm like 80% sure Gw2 uses Glicko

I see what you're saying there now. Point still stands, as taking away the participation award will hurt the bot's bottom line.

Just trying to give ideas relevant to the topic: bots. Not Match Manipulation.

I understand those topics are somewhat entwined, but getting the bots out would hurt Match Manipulation if anything.Ever since DuoQ came back, Match Manipulation hasn't really existed. There's metagaming; which, is arguably the same thing if not worse.

If people are using bots to manipulate, they're 100% intertwined. I actually believe they are, as you mentioned, it's using a common Elo system. i don't think it's that bad. I think that they're giving the bots an AI that is beneficial to the real player, so the bots may not even see the bad win rates you expect (the bot will play better when it matches with the manipulator). And the bots cover a large spread of the ELO (at least up through gold). If they were that bad, you'd expect them all to bubble down. I revoke my previous statement about your solution helping it at all. I think that the bots are part of the manipulation.

And that's pretty sad really. Like... Do you know what you get from winning Ranked matches in pretty much any other game? You get rating and the win. That's your reward.Do you know what you get for losing? Nothing, because its a loss.As it should be.

False, HoTs gives you credit just for playing particular class/character types in matches, Paragon had similar quests, Spellbreak you still get XP. It's getting less and less common in PVP games to give ABSOLUTELY nothing for a loss. I think 80% of our games are decided before we even get in, giving nothing is really stingy in that context. It was very rare when I was PVPing they I felt I was actually having an impact. I had many matches where my team mates were so crappy, even if I was the only player playing well, I knew we were going to lose and vice versa, where I knew I was crap related to my team mates and the enemy but we still won somehow.

@Firebeard.1746 said:If people are using bots to manipulate, they're 100% intertwined. I actually believe they are, as you mentioned, it's using a common Elo system. i don't think it's that bad. I think that they're giving the bots an AI that is beneficial to the real player, so the bots may not even see the bad win rates you expect (the bot will play better when it matches with the manipulator). And the bots cover a large spread of the ELO (at least up through gold). If they were that bad, you'd expect them all to bubble down. I revoke my previous statement about your solution helping it at all. I think that the bots are part of the manipulation.

It's true. They are.

What do you think should be done about it then? A ban wave?

False, HoTs gives you credit just for playing particular class/character types in matches, Paragon had similar quests, Spellbreak you still get XP. It's getting less and less common in PVP games to give ABSOLUTELY nothing for a loss. I think 80% of our games are decided before we even get in, giving nothing is really stingy in that context. It was very rare when I was PVPing they I felt I was actually having an impact. I had many matches where my team mates were so crappy, even if I was the only player playing well, I knew we were going to lose and vice versa, where I knew I was kitten related to my team mates and the enemy but we still won somehow.

Okay, fair. You do get XP in most games. I don't even know how to respond to that. I've been absolutely destroyed.The next time someone throws in any competitive game, i'll be sure to let everyone know they shouldn't be upset because they still get XP. I appreciate the advice, and i'll let you know how that works out.

@"Multicolorhipster.9751" said:Okay, fair. You do get XP in most games. I don't even know how to respond to that. I've been absolutely destroyed.The next time someone throws in any competitive game, i'll be sure to let everyone know they shouldn't be upset because they still get XP. I appreciate the advice, and i'll let you know how that works out.

Lol you sound just like the manipulating trolls. Me and OP don't feel that way. it sucks losing, regardless, getting that 1/3rd of what you could have gotten if someone actually played fair (and tbh, it REALLY sucked when I was earning ascension, I've never been more furious at any entitled brat more in my life being told "lol free leggies" as they literally made me play more matches than I needed to). But sure, I guess getting nothing makes it suck less? Lol! The manipulators and you are deluding yourselves thinking normal people play for just free rewards. Anyone who knows the game knows it's not worth it, and in reality, you'd only be playing to earn legendary amors, because you can literally do a lot of things for better reward. The PVP neck and ascension are all tied to victories, so those griefers make earning those ridiculous and awful.

BUT I think we've come to an interesting conclusion: botting in some scenarios is still free stuff. People manipulating are doing so for free stuff. Maybe the real answer is to cap rewards for the season and tie most of them to climbing the PVP Pip rewards once, then absolutely nothing after. You could up the ticket and ascended shards to compensate for people who want to grind the armors, but the devs could cap and time gate the gold, much like they do with other sources. Interestingly enough, I don't believe map bonus rewards are capped, so if someone wanted to bot, they could do that instead.

Other things that should be done: if F2p players are allowed to play ranked, they only play with each other. I think they shouldn't at all be allowed in ranked so bans are more meaningful. And yes, bans. I can tell you though me and others in NA have seen the same bots, over and over, and reported them, over and over and nothing has been done. Permanent PVP bans instead of whole account bans, so the person is still stuck with the grisly choice of starting over from scratch or just accepting what they've done and moving on.

@"Firebeard.1746" said:Lol you sound just like the manipulating trolls. Me and OP don't feel that way. it sucks losing, regardless, getting that 1/3rd of what you could have gotten if someone actually played fair (and tbh, it REALLY sucked when I was earning ascension, I've never been more furious at any entitled brat more in my life being told "lol free leggies" as they literally made me play more matches than I needed to). But sure, I guess getting nothing makes it suck less? Lol! The manipulators and you are deluding yourselves thinking normal people play for just free rewards. Anyone who knows the game knows it's not worth it, and in reality, you'd only be playing to earn legendary amors, because you can literally do a lot of things for better reward. The PVP neck and ascension are all tied to victories, so those griefers make earning those ridiculous and awful.

I have never done a troll or a match manipulation in my life. I have only ever been a major opponent against high level match-manipulation and botting.I also haven't played Ranked since Season 18 solely because of high-level match manipulation.

I believe its possible to make the game more competitive, but freebie rewards belong in the casual mode if anything.

BUT I think we've come to an interesting conclusion: botting in some scenarios is still free stuff. People manipulating are doing so for free stuff. Maybe the real answer is to cap rewards for the season and tie most of them to climbing the PVP Pip rewards once, then absolutely nothing after. You could up the ticket and ascended shards to compensate for people who want to grind the armors, but the devs could cap and time gate the gold, much like they do with other sources. Interestingly enough, I don't believe map bonus rewards are capped, so if someone wanted to bot, they could do that instead.

That's really barely any different from what i'm proposing, but I guess I forgot that people love time-gates.

Other things that should be done: if F2p players are allowed to play ranked, they only play with each other. I think they shouldn't at all be allowed in ranked so bans are more meaningful. And yes, bans. I can tell you though me and others in NA have seen the same bots, over and over, and reported them, over and over and nothing has been done. Permanent PVP bans instead of whole account bans, so the person is still stuck with the grisly choice of starting over from scratch or just accepting what they've done and moving on.

The worst punishment for big-name match manipulators/wintraders was a few months, and that was for the big MAT. It's usually unpunished in Ranked, if not an even shorter temp ~1 week suspension. Metagaming isn't technically Match Manipulation either, and since it's so easy to do now I don't see it being addressed ever.

I don't think bots are really getting all that much attention right now either, but a ban isn't going to stop a bot anyway. Especially in a f2p game. If you really want to be rid of them, then you have to get rid of the reason why they're there in the first place.

People also love to complain about the low population. So much so that its become an excuse to never do anything."Don't get rid of the bots, population is too low!""Don't split the queues, population too low!"I cannot imagine that these same people would be willing to lose the entire F2p population.

@Multicolorhipster.9751 said:That's really barely any different from what i'm proposing, but I guess I forgot that people love time-gates.

It's vastly different, you seem to think bots will always suck and therefore die out if losing is not rewarded. I wholly disagree and have brought up reasons why. I'm thinking your proposal is going to encourage pro-botting and contribute more to the real problem, manipulation. I already know some people use a targeting hack in PVP. People won't be afraid to use a bot if someone sells it on the dark web.

But capping the reward caps the effectiveness of botting, hopefully decreasing the amount it happens, and the same will happen with manipulation tactics too.

I'm of the opinion, someone or something will always fly under the radar, and Anet has no desire to police PVP, so they need to kill the infinite rewards we've both identified. It's the sanest solution given their will to actually police things. And if there's another place to get more constant rewards from botting, I bet the focus will go there.

Can we start referring to sPvP as sPvB(Structured Player vs Bot)? I am fighting literal, stop when I stealth, bots no less than an average of 1 per match. Some matches have like 2-3, some none, but at the gold 1 level, it's just not fun anymore. I was always mid plat for years and years, was playing since beta until I took a year off a couple years ago. When I came back, I placed low gold and can't climb out because I'm fighting with garbage Pentium 4 warriors on my team that we're programmed by fucking Doug in his grandma's basement. Please raise the Ranked ranked requirement to 100.

• Thanks 1

@Hollowperspectiv.3047 said:Can we start referring to sPvP as sPvB(Structured Player vs Bot)? I am fighting literal, stop when I stealth, bots no less than an average of 1 per match. Some matches have like 2-3, some none, but at the gold 1 level, it's just not fun anymore. I was always mid plat for years and years, was playing since beta until I took a year off a couple years ago. When I came back, I placed low gold and can't climb out because I'm fighting with garbage Pentium 4 warriors on my team that we're programmed by kitten Doug in his grandma's basement. Please raise the Ranked ranked requirement to 100.

Rank requirement # will do nothing for as long as F2P accounts exist, a smart manipulator will just level an extra couple in the background in case he loses some accounts. That's why the PVP rank 20 now doesn't do anything, it's not requiring actual effort from the people who are causing the problems.

• Like 1

You both have taken my thread and made a complete salad out of it.

1. I am not trying to discuss match manipulation here.
  2. Neither am I trying to discuss fractals or other pve farms here.

I do t4s daily, I make decent gold doing what I do in my casual play time. The issue I am trying to discuss isn't that.

I do not think that pvp rewards should be nerfed, it's not that it pays a lot, it is the fact that you can create a new account and easily farm it whereas you can't just get into fractals like that. Win or lose you are bound to get something whereas in fractals you can't do that. Point being it is not that the rewards from pvp is too high, it is the fact that it is really easy to get into. Reducing the reward will make the already diminishing pvp population even lower.

And I really do not have any clue what makes you think that botting is match manipulation or is related to MMR in any way. People who bot aren't match manipulating or win trading. They are just farming the gold while being afk. I mentioned that I have noticed people with titles like LNHB and raid titles botting. They aren't match manipulating, they just set up the bot to farm pvp offline.

And to add, most of the bots I came across were not F2P. They were scourges, scrapper or mirage. Hell I have even seen weaver bots. In fact i do not think i have seen an f2p account botting. F2P haverestrictions on trading post and mailing anyway, the one setting up the bot wouldn't gain much farming pvp on a f2p account unless they intend to buy key for it later. So banning F2P may help with hacking maybe, but definitely wouldn't help with botting much.

@Sunit.1698 said:And to add, most of the bots I came across were not F2P. They were scourges, scrapper or mirage. Hell I have even seen weaver bots. In fact i do not think i have seen an f2p account botting. F2P haverestrictions on trading post and mailing anyway, the one setting up the bot wouldn't gain much farming pvp on a f2p account unless they intend to buy key for it later. So banning F2P may help with hacking maybe, but definitely wouldn't help with botting much.

There are hammer wars and hammers guardian bots, i never fought a hammer guard in conquest tho, only mini seasons.

There is a way how anet can actually do something about it. Say an account receives high number of reports, they can check the number of games. An avg pvp player would have about less than 300-400 games in a season. They can verify the number of games and ping and see if the person replies when they are online.

Bots have over 1400-2000 something games in a season as in this thread.PVP Bot Season Twenty-Fivehttps://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/lvy4af/pvp_bot_season_twentyfive/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

• Like 1

@"Sunit.1698" said:There is a way how anet can actually do something about it. Say an account receives high number of reports, they can check the number of games. An avg pvp player would have about less than 300-400 games in a season. They can verify the number of games and ping and see if the person replies when they are online.

Bots have over 1400-2000 something games in a season as in this thread.PVP Bot Season Twenty-Fivehttps://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/lvy4af/pvp_bot_season_twentyfive/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

Of all this list only the ones near 2k are bots, ppl in low rating could be very spammy, i used to play 700-900 games season. There are around 20 bots i think playing 2k+ games season, that's over 40k matches season, that's why you feel they are everywhere

@Sunit.1698 said:

restrictions on trading post and mailing anyway, the one setting up the bot wouldn't gain much farming pvp on a f2p account unless they intend to buy key for it later. So banning F2P may help with hacking maybe, but definitely wouldn't help with botting much.

So, you think that ppl who use bots could be stopped by some free to play restrictions? They are using a bot, we dont know what else they can do with some hack. Anyway Transfer money is easy using TP, buying items permitted from the main account seller, for example.But there could be many ways they can use that I'm not thinking now.

Anyway classes used by bots are the core classes and they have always 1800 (approx.) achiev. points

@Carmine.6873 said:

restrictions on trading post and mailing anyway, the one setting up the bot wouldn't gain much farming pvp on a f2p account unless they intend to buy key for it later. So banning F2P may help with hacking maybe, but definitely wouldn't help with botting much.

So, you think that ppl who use bots could be stopped by some free to play restrictions? They are using a bot, we dont know what else they can do with some hack. Anyway Transfer money is easy using TP, buying items permitted from the main account seller, for example.But there could be many ways they can use that I'm not thinking now.

Anyway classes used by bots are the core classes and they have always 1800 (approx.) achiev. points

I saw multiple Mirage bots from different accounts, a couple had 8k AP. So worryingly it isn’t a free to play thing.

@Sileeent.5861 said:The question is, if you remove all bots from sPVP, how many real players are left? I just try to understand it logically somehow. ... So I could really imagine that Anet leaves the bots in, because without them the population would decrease too much, which ultimately leads to longer queues or even to endless queues, and a completely dead game. But the big problem with this theory is that it would then even be likely that the bots could even come from Anet themselves.

Indeed, one easy solution is to remove free to play accounts from ranked. All Bots i've seen are all core classes with 1800 (approx.) achiev. points.But anyway... dear Anet, if u allow bots to play ranked, and i found 70% bots in matches, i will leave pvp becouse is unplayable. Maybe the REAL players will increase if pvp become more playable. Isn't right?

@ProverbsofHell.2307 said:

I saw multiple Mirage bots from different accounts, a couple had 8k AP. So worryingly it isn’t a free to play thing.

Could be isolated cases of ppl who plays frequently and know there is no real ban for this. This is a consequence to do nothing to eliminate the problem. So, they use this method to make money. But mostly are core classes (especially now in mini seas... osp, I mean bots season).

@Carmine.6873 said:

I am saying pretty much the opposite. Banning F2P from ranked will have little to no affect on botting. Except in cases where they buy some trivial stuff from TP at a ridiculous high price I don't really see how they can transfer the gold and mats to other accounts with ease considering f2p have restrictions both on TP buying and selling as well as mailing. There can ways ofcourse, you can't really be sure. Be it depositing stuff in guild bank or other ways. I was f2p for over a year before buying the game in 2017 so I know very well how much restrctions are there for TP and mailing on F2P accounts.

Next, what exactly is your basis for saying most bots are F2P? Most of the bots I come across are scourge, mirage or scrapper. Yes there are core guard and warrior bots too. But I have seen bots of pretty much many elite specs like weaver, DH, rev, SB etc with the exception of thieves maybe.

If you read through the thread and the reddit thread linked by me, you will see me and others saying that many of these accounts accounts with good titles and AP as high as 39k.

@Sunit.1698 said:

If you read through the thread and the reddit thread linked by me, you will see me and others saying that many of these accounts accounts with good titles and AP as high as 39k.

Maybe are isolated cases of 1-2€ accounts, or ppl tired by a frustrating pvp experience. If no one do nothing and there is no ban, they do that without risks. But I don't believe most of these people because someone also called me bots in pvp, than there is many ppl that eat their heart out becouse they are too frustrated.

Im talking about SURELY bot, all this Bots have the same specifications: 1800 (approx) achiev. points, base armor, core classes, offline status, 500+ match in the season and the same identical pattern in every matches and, sometimes, ridiculus bug such us watching the wall or hit it .