Update on my peculiar crashing issue

It appears the issue I am having is most certainly related to the game in some fashion. I've finally gotten around to testing it on my other machines and all 3 of my machines exhibit the same behavior.

DesktopAMD Ryzen 7-3800XnVidia 2080 Super

DesktopIntel i7-7700knVidia 1080

LaptopIntel i7 - Early 1st-2nd gennVidia 445M

In the screen shot, you can see the screen is black, but I still have a GW2 pointer, which is not frozen and I can move it around and the music still plays in the background, and it will sit like that indefinitely. Action buttons don't do anything. The game is not completely locked up and I can exit via ALT-F4. This will usually happen within a few minutes of loading in to a map. There is a secondary issue which occurs occasionally, where I cannot get past the character select screen. I choose a character, press the start button, which then greys out, but never actually loads a map.

So, it would appear, in my thinking, something was changed in the game, back a month, or so, ago, and it doesn't like something with my network or ISP. My ping times are generally decent, averaging under 50ms to Google, my connection speed is more than ample (~25Mbps/16Mbps) for what GW2 requires. Other on-line games that my kids play don't have issues, such as Apex Legends, Rust, Roblox, Minecraft. With the laptop, I have tried running the verify, deleting the local.dat, I've run both Spybot and MalwareBytes. NOTHING ever gets written to any of the log or dump files and nothing applicable seems to be in the Windows event log. I'm kind of at a loss as to what to look at next since it affects all 3 of my machines.

Thoughts?

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:Have you tried a -repair to the client? Probably to no avail, but...

If it were a game issue, would it not affect most players? /shrug

Is there anything, program, etc., that all your computers share?

I've tried both repair and removing the local.dat. Nothing particular between the 3, other than Steam and the nVidia software, and I typically keep Steam shut down. Razer Synapse, might, be on all three, but that shouldn't affect it and a network issues should give errors, one would think, so I'm kind of at a loss.

Does it look like mine?

This one was most likely caused by my security software Malwarebytes messing with the connection between my game client and the ArenaNet servers. So, what you can do except for contacting support is checking if anything interferes with your connection. This can be a firewall, antivirus, vpn, net filter etc.

I'm still using malwarebytes today and this issue has long been resolved.

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/75462/black-screens-connectivity-issues

@"TheQuickFox.3826" said:Does it look like mine?

This one was most likely caused by my security software Malwarebytes messing with the connection between my game client and the ArenaNet servers. So, what you can do except for contacting support is checking if anything interferes with your connection. This can be a firewall, antivirus, vpn, net filter etc.

I'm still using malwarebytes today and this issue has long been resolved.

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/75462/black-screens-connectivity-issues

Yes, it looks just like that, but nothing software-wise has changed on any of these machines, especially the laptop since literally all I use it for is GW2 and Zoom, and certainly not all at the same time, unless it's related to a Windows update. I'll check the thread out and see if I can can track it down. Thanks.

@TheQuickFox.3826 said:This one was most likely caused by my security software Malwarebytes messing with the connection between my game client and the ArenaNet servers. So, what you can do except for contacting support is checking if anything interferes with your connection. This can be a firewall, antivirus, vpn, net filter etc.

Do we know which ports need to be open and connectable? I recently installed updates for my Ubiquiti router and switches. I wonder if that update did something...although everything else works...Apex, Rust, Minecraft, etc...

@Leamas.5803 said:

@TheQuickFox.3826 said:This one was most likely caused by my security software Malwarebytes messing with the connection between my game client and the ArenaNet servers. So, what you can do except for contacting support is checking if anything interferes with your connection. This can be a firewall, antivirus, vpn, net filter etc.

Do we know which ports need to be open and connectable? I recently installed updates for my Ubiquiti router and switches. I wonder if that update did something...although everything else works...Apex, Rust, Minecraft, etc...

I know nothing about that, but it could be worth to log into your router and try to disable features like packet inspection, firewall, blocklists.First make screenshots of your existing settings so you can put everything back when needed. Then test if this solves anything.

@TheQuickFox.3826 said:

I know nothing about that, but it could be worth to log into your router and try to disable features like packet inspection, firewall, blocklists.First make screenshots of your existing settings so you can put everything back when needed. Then test if this solves anything.

So, I'm unsure what the cause was as there was a large game update today, however, after the update, and removing Synapse on both the main PC and the laptop the game seems to have stabilized. Both have remained up for over 30 minutes without a black screen. On the laptop, I did attempt to the launch the game after the update, but still encountered the greyed out start button on the character select screen. That went away after I removed Synapse, but removing Synapse fixing it might have been a fluke. I'll have to exit and reenter the game a few times as the greyed out start button was a random issue.

That said, if Synapse was the cause, rather than the patch being the fix, then the game has an issue than needs to be addressed. Synapse should not affect the game like that. I'll leave the laptop running for a while, then I'll test the 3rd machine and leave Synapse installed.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 @TheQuickFox.3826While there were no mention of crash fixes in yesterday's update release notes, it seems to have resolved the issue. Synapse does not appear to have been a factor as it was not installed on the 3rd machine, yet the crashing went away after the patch none the less. No other changes were made to this 3rd machine. GW2 appears to now be working properly on all 3 machines. It's running on my laptop now as a test as I have had the crashing go away briefly before, only to return the next day.

I assume it must have been related to your system (i.e., OS), its configuration or some program you are using across all of your devices (the antivirus, for instance). There must be a similarity between all of them that was causing it, there is no other explanation as other players did not experience your issue.

@Leamas.5803 said:GW2 appears to now be working properly on all 3 machines.

Well, good to hear.

@Ashantara.8731 said:I assume it must have been related to your system (i.e., OS), its configuration or some program you are using across all of your devices (the antivirus, for instance). There must be a similarity between all of them that was causing it, there is no other explanation as other players did not experience your issue.

Oddly, there was no similarity. I don't use any specific 3rd party firewall or AV software other than what Microsoft provides and if they are installed (Such as MalwareBytes or Spybot), I don't leave the background services running. I know I certainly didn't do any specific changes across all 3 machines approximately a month ago, when this started, other than perhaps Windows updates pushed by Microsoft. When I removed Synapse off the first two machines and they worked, I had assumed it was Synapse, but Synapse was not installed on the 3rd machine. No config or software changes were make to the 3rd machine. The only thing that changed on it was yesterday's patch.

The other option, of course, is that perhaps my ISP changed, or fixed, something on their end. That would explain the behavior and living in rural Canada, would explain the lack of activity about this on the forum, but you'd think that would have affected other games or Internet services as well.