Redefining the new game experience

Ailuro.2780

Currently the game is what could be described as an ideal spotlight. With the garnered attention from the expansion, and recent coverage by large MMORPG reviewers with positive views on the game, and the success of Living Season 4. Moreover, Path of Fire and the introduction of mounts truly reshaped the game experience hands-down and was the kind of bold move the game sorely needed however, Ice-brood Saga is generally said to have failed to deliver but this can be said to not have put off a lot of people.

Now understandably, ANET must be more than likely bogged down with working on the expansion but I urge that they do not neglect the foundations of the game as I believe they can and should be reworked for a drastic change that will bring about a higher player retention and a greater transition into End-game content. Below is an image simplifying the player experience:

BLd51gR.png

The critical issues that need to be resolved to see are:1. The breakdown of stats.2. Bridge between interacting with other players.

Before covering the solutions, the most important takeaway is that What would increase both player retention and engagement- learning alongside/from your game friends or navigating away to Youtube/Wiki and browsing for an answer?

1. The breakdown of statsGuild Wars 2's hands-off approach to telling the player where to go and what to do is one of it's greatest aspects however this hands-off nature is seen in the stats where many a new players and returning alike will find themselves absolutely lost. As it stands, a skill is unlocked with no explanation to what makes this useful. Currently, many players will just resort to googling for the meta build instead of intuitively being able to understand what works and what doesn't. This shows the absence of the games attention to player game mechanical development.

The solutionAcross all races, the new player at level 1-15 will find themselves in an area where they can practise shooting, blocking, and rolling, which should be reworked to profession areas instead at level 3-5, they should be navigated to an area in the level 1-15 map, having just one or two towns with an instance based training grounds that is home to 9 instructors for each profession would not just benefit new players but end-game content alike. Breaking this down further:

1. Only the instructor with the same profession is available to interact with on that character.
  2. The instructor can showcase what happens when you have a higher DPS and what skills are more relevant, and what skills in your profession are more about condition damage, and support for example.2b. This does not mean that the instructor shows the current meta builds or optimal skills. Just a generic basic skill 2 does little condition damage when I am focused on high Power and Precision but does higher damage when I change my gear.
  3. There is a mini golem/dummy to practise skills.
  4. Spar against the instructor who performs combos and blast fields correctly against you.
  5. Changing the stats of a full set of armour to experiment AND understand what DPS represents in the game, Condition Damage, and more.cwbLbkS.pngThere is no better way of learning the difference between stats and builds then seeing it demonstrated and actually practising yourself. This also allows the player to understand the kind of player they want to be as they get to endgame content, and understanding what is viable instead of forcibly having to drop whatever weapons and build they liked to copy paste someone else's template.

2. Bridge between interacting with other players.The strongest aspect of Guild Wars 2 is the community but players can easily fall into the rift of playing the game alone due to how abrupt the introduction to finding a guild or finding a group is furthermore, just finding a group doesn't automatically mean you've found yourself a group of social players that are willing to have a fun time. To fix this, the guild panel needs to be improved.The solutionWe are aware that guild can be split up into 3 primary categories. PvP, PvE, WvW.

1. Introduce a tab for guild search OR a location in town where there's a building that you can speak to an NPC or on a board that lets you search for a guild.
  2. Provide the option for a guild to be public or private to show up in a guild search bar in the guild panel.
  3. Introduce 4 filters:-> PvP, PvE, WvW focused.-> None of the above, and just a general guild.-> EU/US-> Home server (Gunnar's Hold, Underworld etc)-> Recent shouts (Guilds are allowed twice a day to say they're active thus avoiding the issue of contacting offline guilds)
  4. Upon clicking on a guild, it lets you read what they're about to and officer names that can be whispered for recruitment or further information.

Guilds are the best feature of the game, and should be given more of a helpful walkthrough to both understand what a guild represents and finding the people for you.

Thank you for reading. Any criticism is encouraged!

A quick tidbit to myself, I have been playing GW2 on and off for around 7-8 years since I was a wee young kid and have a lot of love for the game. I've experienced the hardcore PvP/PvE, Fashion Wars and the chiller elements of the game and just see GW2 as a game with much more potential than realised.

There's already a tab for Guild Recruitment; what/where do you suggest there be another?I'm not sure a <L15 player will be cognizant of the overall game to absorb stats and their implications.Although, the L2 Level-up tutorial introduces stats. Those that don't take the time to peruse Level-up tutorial information may not choose to enter tutorial instances, either.

Also, keep in mind not all skills are unlocked at L15 and under.

You have some interesting ideas here, when I was reading through it though it reminds me a lot of the PvP lobby. It would probably be simpler to just direct them there to practice against the training golems and the various professions.

I would suggest maybe having this at level 70 or even 80. A more through explanation of what the stats are would be nice and what they are used for. The biggest issue is that this game tries to stay away from the holy trinity so there is no straight way to tell someone how to make a build since there are hundreds of thousands of options for builds.

Unfortunately ANet I don’t believe will put more effort into making the new player experience different. The best thing for any new player is to have a guild or friends to help them along and to play the game. It might take a bit but we all learn what to use in different situations.

i like of the idea of a acessible "training area",

but i guess u is overthinking it... some players avoid hard content for years(myself i dont touch raids), or even status stuff, i dive into status because of playstyle. i was bored of single target warrior and dived into some condition specs. i tried it first time because of HoT elite spec weapons, them i wanted the reaper GS to my warrior.

Im Neverwinter we had on their L.A. equivalent a training area with dummies, just this, that was alway populated and was very useful.

I gw2 the "training areas" are too bureacratic to acess like the mists golem or raids, or pvp dummies, and the dialogues are horrible UI. A true training area doenst need dialogues..

@"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:There's already a tab for Guild Recruitment; what/where do you suggest there be another?

Ah I have worded it incorrectly.VtkhFWE.pngIn the guild panel itself to have a new tab that allows for a search function.

I'm not sure a <L15 player will be cognizant of the overall game to absorb stats and their implications.Fair point! The aim is to just develop a simple understanding towards how at least DPS is affected by a higher power or condi damage. The strong case for this is if the instructor were to perform the same skill with different builds to show how just power affects damage, it would easily show where each stat stands.

More importantly, this would be a process from Lvl 5-20 (where ever is most suitable to begin) to lvl 80 which would be easily enough time to grasp the core mechanics of builds.

Also, keep in mind not all skills are unlocked at L15 and under.

Indeed, the benefit here is that ahead of time the player can see the instructor perform skills of different weapons which allows the player to have the opportunity to evaluate the playstyle they want during lvl 5-80. In the current state of the game, new players for the most part drop one weapon for a better but different one through the levelling process. This is purely based off anecdotal experience from interviewing other players however most new players rarely browse the TP to buy a better but same weapon to play with throughout the game.

@"ElijahFitzroy.5762" said:You have some interesting ideas here, when I was reading through it though it reminds me a lot of the PvP lobby. It would probably be simpler to just direct them there to practice against the training golems and the various professions.

That too is a great idea! In fact that would help integrate an introduction to PvP at an earlier level rather than at lvl 80!

I would suggest maybe having this at level 70 or even 80. A more through explanation of what the stats are would be nice and what they are used for. The biggest issue is that this game tries to stay away from the holy trinity so there is no straight way to tell someone how to make a build since there are hundreds of thousands of options for builds.

Yep, as stated, this would benefit new and later players alike but a demonstration would be superior to an explanation in my opinion. The issue of avoiding the holy trinity is solved with the freedom of being able to experiment with builds in the "training room".

@"Ailuro.2780" said:

1. Introduce a tab for guild search OR a location in town where there's a building that you can speak to an NPC or on a board that lets you search for a guild.
  2. Provide the option for a guild to be public or private to show up in a guild search bar in the guild panel.

this is something i kind-of want as well. in-game, we already have a Contacts & LFG > Guild Recruitment > Guild Plaza section for guild recruitment and looking-for-guild people. --- but being able to set your guild's profile as "public" and have it show up on a "guild board" in every major town/city ingame would be a nice QoL. not everyday or every time you play you'd have a recruiter shouting in /map and not every time you'll have a guild recruitment party/ad in LFG, also not everyone checks the forums and not everyone is part of the GW2 discord and the reddit subs so having more ingame ways to search for a guild and apply for one even if the recruiters/officers are currently offline would be nice.

as for the search function, i'd rather not have the it in the guild tab itself though. i'd rather have it all on a "guild board" that way it's sort of it's own thing and the devs wouldn't have to touch the guild interface/ui lest something may break or bug out lol

@Astyrah.4015 said:

not everyday or every time you play you'd have a recruiter shouting in /map and not every time you'll have a guild recruitment party/ad in LFG, also not everyone checks the forums and not everyone is part of the GW2 discord and the reddit subs so having more ingame ways to search for a guild and apply for one even if the recruiters/officers are currently offline would be nice.

Definitely! Things that are integrated in the game keeps player in the game.

@"Ailuro.2780" said:As it stands, a skill is unlocked with no explanation to what makes this useful.

What do you mean "no explanation to what makes this useful"? There are skill/trait descriptions and tooltips with effects listed and dmg values shown which you can compare between the skills. And while I don't mind "just having more training golem equivalent options" in pve that aren't as secluded, lets not pretend that there's nothing to try the skills on (even if for some reason you don't consider mobs being something to experiment on) -at the very least there are training areas in aerodrome/pvp.

The instructor can showcase what happens when you have a higher DPS

This is another thing I don't really understand the problem with. What do you mean "what happens when you have higher dps"? Isn't this pretty self-explanatory? What is there to explain/showcase? I get it, people don't need to be thrown into the deep water right away (and for the most part, they're not?), but lets not pretend that people need to have it spelled out for them to understand "what happens when you deal more dmg" lol.

• Confused 1

@"Sobx.1758" said:What do you mean "no explanation to what makes this useful"? There are skill/trait descriptions and tooltips with effects listed and dmg values shown which you can compare between the skills.

This is what the casual player sees when they level up:DG2MkZ1.png

It is quite frankly just a word vomit. There is no lesson learned from either consequences or benefiting of a particular stat, and more than not this will be forgotten in the next half n hour much less 30 levels in and people are jumping from weapon to weapon. There is clearly no opportunity to actually understand the gravity of how much power I have actually effects my damage output. There is no integration from this to this:Hero_panel_equipment.jpgHero_panel_weapon_skills.jpg

Which is even more of a visual screen mess. You don't need to ask hundreds of players to realize after helping run dungeons, much less t1-t2 fractals, to realize that players have no idea what having a build actually means nor the significance of their profession and what stats are most viable. Even after on and off years, this remains an absolute pattern amongst new players. This is just a core missed opportunity by ANET to drive player engagement and give the combat system a greater depth by providing players the actual hands-on training with varying stats.

There's nothing to try the skills on (even if for some reason you don't consider mobs being something to experiment on) -at the very least there are training areas in aerodrome/pvp.This is exactly the issue. I wrote the post in the perspective for a new player/returning player. Unless told, no player has 0 idea golems exist. There is literally no mention of it anywhere during the levelling process that you can go to PvP and try new skills, this is not even beginning to mention how the PvP build panel wouldn't be overwhelming. Moreover, it just wouldn't be thematical for a player to train what would be intended for PvE in a PvP lobby.

This is another thing I don't really understand the problem with. What do you mean "what happens when you have higher dps"? Isn't this pretty self-explanatory?

Everybody understands the sentence "more strength, more damage". But what does that exactly mean to World Bosses? Dungeons? Environmental mechanics? Fractals? To your build where in many rotations, there's no need for certain professions to be high DPS? There is no baseline for a player to comparatively weigh the effects of changing builds through their levelling process provided by the game.

and for the most part, they're not?Players can go do their entire personal story, living season, and t1 fractals and dungeons without ever having to realize the importance of a build. Like I said already, there is a hands off approach to stats so yes they're not but this presents the issue of leaving TOO much information with no indicator to where to start.

@Ailuro.2780 said:

@"Sobx.1758" said:What do you mean "no explanation to what makes this useful"?
There are skill/trait descriptions
and tooltips with effects listed and dmg values shown which you can compare between the skills.

This is what the casual player sees when they level up:
DG2MkZ1.png

It is quite frankly just a word vomit. There is no lesson learned from either consequences or benefiting of a particular stat, and more than not this will be forgotten in the next half n hour much less 30 levels in and people are jumping from weapon to weapon. There is clearly no opportunity to actually understand the gravity of how much power I have actually effects my damage output.

How is this a word vomit? It explains what basic stats do, so they can make their early gear choices (with 1 modifier per item) and familiarize themselves with how the game works. I don't think the naming here is confusing enough for them to instantly forget what -for example- "power" does. But in case they do, at the very same tip you've linked to, they can see information about hero panel and after they open it (like the game guides them to do in order to equip the weapon they've just received), they'll moooost probably notice the stats. From what I know hovering over the stats isn't exactly rocket science for most players ("oh look, some numbers and icons, I wonder what it is") and when they do that, they'll see that there are short descriptions for each of them in case they need them clarified again. I really don't see the problem here.

There is no integration from this to this:Hero_panel_equipment.jpgHero_panel_weapon_skills.jpg

There's no integration from this to this, because what you've linked here has nothing to do with level 2 tooltip you've posted here. Traits are locked till like level... 11? And pretty sure by then there's another pop-up tip informing the player about them. They also won't have many (any?) weapons to swap between at this point and the skills... I think they'll have 1 or 2 weapon skill and a heal. At this point they're literally learning one skill per level, they don't need to study skills en-masse and think about picking the best.

Which is even more of a visual screen mess. You don't need to ask hundreds of players to realize after helping run dungeons, much less t1-t2 fractals, to realize that players have no idea what having a build actually means nor the significance of their profession and what stats are most viable. Even after on and off years, this remains an absolute pattern amongst new players. This is just a core missed opportunity by ANET to drive player engagement and give the combat system a greater depth by providing players the actual hands-on training with varying stats.

"players have no idea what having a build actually means"? I think they do. "Having a bad build" isn't an equivalent of "having no idea what a build means". They're free to make their bad choices because that's just the learning process. They can also skip it by googling meta/fotm/top builds for their class, but suggesting that anet should guide them ingame into those meta build is just baseless and wrong. Anyone wanting to take the shortcut through the learning process can already easly do it. For anyone else learning by failing is perfectly fine. Just because you want players to somehow instantly swap to meta builds for your parties means nothing.

And I don't understand what "missed opportunity" are you talking about here? Can you spell it out for me in simplier terms? Are you seriously talking about cutting the learning process of the players along with taking away the possibility for them to play around with their skills/traits/weapons to craft their OWN build at their OWN pace as a "missed opportunity", or did I horribly misunderstand something here?

There's nothing to try the skills on (even if for some reason you don't consider mobs being something to experiment on) -at the very least there are training areas in aerodrome/pvp.This is exactly the issue. I wrote the post in the perspective for a new player/returning player. Unless told, no player has 0 idea golems exist. There is literally no mention of it anywhere during the levelling process that you can go to PvP and try new skills, this is not even beginning to mention how the PvP build panel wouldn't be overwhelming. Moreover, it just wouldn't be thematical for a player to train what would be intended for PvE in a PvP lobby.

Let me clarify that the actual quote of what I wrote is this:"lets not pretend that there's nothing to try the skills on (even if for some reason you don't consider mobs being something to experiment on) -at the very least there are training areas in aerodrome/pvp."

...but the players are notified about existance of pvp right at the level 3? If they go there and look around, they'll see the golems rather fast from what I can tell. If they decide not to go there (which is perfectly fine and a valid thing for the player to do), I don't see why they wouldn't be able to try out their newly acquired skills on early level mobs, which are made pretty weak for the purpose of allowing the new players learning the game. It's also not like they need to test some kind of rotations, at this point the players are unlcoking "a skill per level" to learn the basics step by step.

But sure, as I said -easier accessible pve golems? I don't see why not, they could put them somewhere on the peripherals (or near the entrance) of every major city, w/e.

This is another thing I don't really understand the problem with. What do you mean "what happens when you have higher dps"? Isn't this pretty self-explanatory?

Everybody understands the sentence "more strength, more damage". But what does that exactly mean to World Bosses? Dungeons? Environmental mechanics? Fractals? To your build where in many rotations, there's no need for certain professions to be high DPS? There is no baseline for a player to comparatively weigh the effects of changing builds through their levelling process provided by the game.

For world bosses, dungeons, fractals and so on it means exactly the same. More dmg, the mob dies faster. What else could it mean? :DI still don't see what would need to be explained here. If someone doesn't care about getting a coherent build or high dps, then it's "on them". Except at this point it's their choice and I don't really care what they do. They are free to play what and how they want.

and for the most part, they're not?Players can go do their entire personal story, living season, and t1 fractals and dungeons without ever having to realize the importance of a build. Like I said already, there
is a hands off
approach to stats so yes they're not but this presents the issue of leaving TOO much information with no indicator to where to start.

I'm still not sure I understand what you mean by "hands off approach to stats". Stats are explained. It's clear that you can't get everything at the same time. It's clear that one stat does x and the other does y. It's clear the player make choices with their stats, skills, traits and weapons. It's clear that some builds can be more optimal than the others. All of that is still part of learning experience and the individual player choice. Just because you think the player doesn't understand the build system because they don't use optimal(-ish) meta build doesn't mean the players don't understand what the build system is and what "having a build" means.By the way, literally randomly clicking on the traits while buying gear with ranomized stats is still equivalent to having a build. It might be a bad build, but if someone doesn't feel like making a choice (or made a choice to play through the game through mostly relying on luck) then what you or I want from them is simply irrelevant. And again, it doesn't mean they don't understand what build is, I don't know how you came up with that theory.

• Confused 1

@"Sobx.1758" said:Your initial argument is more or less waving off the casual players' game sense, and making a ton of assumptions that this is what people should do. Which is exactly the last thing you want to design a system as important as stats as.

I said "players have no idea what having a build actually mean". This is quite literally the equivalent of not knowing what goes into a build. I don't really know what to say here other than why do you expect it is a sensible idea that players who dont know about traits and things as a result of the gameplay is their own fault?

They can also skip it by googling meta/fotm/top builds for their class,

I've already explained this as a question, if you believe that it is more engaging and player retentive to go away from the game to find answers instead of practising and learning in the game then there's nothing to say there.

It's clear that you can't get everything at the same time.Yes. That's the point. Rather than getting it away from the game, you get it during the process of practise and exposure in the game to lvl 80.

Ultimately, the bias of an experienced player who also clearly isn't a casual MMORPG player is seen here rather than the new casual player where it's a "oh it's just there", just "google it, look at the wiki". With any reason of sensibility, no casual player would find it fun to actually go minimize the game to look at youtube tutorials and read the wiki than learning it with friends IN the game. Which is the main point.

@Ailuro.2780 said:

@"Sobx.1758" said:Your initial argument is more or less waving off the casual players' game sense, and making a ton of assumptions that this is what people should do. Which is exactly the last thing you want to design a system as important as stats as.

Which initial argument? And how exactly am I "waving off the casual player' game sense" -what do you even mean by that? Can you finally be more specific than just repeating some broad phrases (exactly like the one above) and pretty much avoid responding to what I wrote?All the while telling me I'm "making a ton of assumptions" when -from what I see- this is what you're doing since the very start of this thread, including the post I'm answering to right now. The players in rpgs have access to hero panels, this is the norm. Here, they're being guided to/through them level after level, page after page to avoid dumping all the info at them in case they'll get overwhelmed by them. What "ton of assumptions" did I even make here? If the player doesn't want to read those SHORT tips then there's not much you can do about it and it means nothing about the system being good or bad.

I said "players have no idea what having a build actually mean". This is quite literally the equivalent of not knowing what goes into a build. I don't really know what to say here other than why do you expect it is a sensible idea that players who dont know about traits and things as a result of the gameplay is their own fault?

I know that's what you said, this is also what I've quoted, right?Players that level up their character and read the tips know "what goes into their build" and "know about traits and things", because the game tells them about those things while they're leveling up. Why are you trying to pretend otherwise? When was the last time you've leveled up a character and actually read the tips that are popping up on your screen? I seriously don't know what you're talking about right now.

They can also skip it by googling meta/fotm/top builds for their class,

I've already explained this as a question, if you believe that it is more engaging and player retentive to go away from the game to find answers instead of practising and learning in the game then there's nothing to say there.

This was not the whole point I was making, so stop pretending it was while disregarding everything else I wrote, thanks. Also if you don't remember the context it was written in, then feel free to re-read the post including the quote I was responding to.I literally wrote that they can do it *if they want to skip the learning process, so not sure why you're trying to pretend "I think they should go away from the game to find answers instead of practising and learning in the game" LOL. Seriously, re-read again what you're answering to instead of fishing for a fraction of my response and pretending nothing before and after that exists. I'm not sure if you're doing it on purpose, so... yeah, definitely re-read what exactly I wrote in that section, because it is NOT what you're suggesting.

It's clear that you can't get everything at the same time.Yes. That's the point. Rather than getting it away from the game, you get it during the process of practise and exposure in the game to lvl 80.

I don't know what you're responding to. I was writing about the stats, re-read the quote I was reponding to at that moment and then read that sentence in context of the whole paragraph -it might be just me, but currently I don't understand the relevance of what you've just wrote here as an answer to what you've quoted.

Ultimately, the bias of an experienced player who also clearly isn't a casual MMORPG player is seen here rather than the new casual player where it's a "oh it's just there", just "google it, look at the wiki". With any reason of sensibility, no casual player would find it fun to actually go minimize the game to look at youtube tutorials and read the wiki than learning it with friends IN the game. Which is the main point.

No, it's not, so much for not making assumptions. How about you try responding to what I actually write instead of running away from it and doing... this? You've very clearly dodged vast majority of what I wrote and the parts you've responded to were taken HEAVILY out of context to pretend I wrote something else than I did. I don't know what you're trying to achieve with that.

I didn't say "it's just there" -I wrote "the game shows you where it is".I didn't write "just google/wiki it" -reread the whole paragraph and stop pretending I meant something I clearly didn't.

• Confused 1

well for me most dificult was to interact with players, as word maps from 1-80lv was too ez, so no one wanted group up or interacted with me (until i forced it)ther was meta events, but like 50ppl groups are not much what you can tall interaction

most fun i had on hot maps, as thay forced players to group up and explore togheter, you culd make new friends ther or even get invited to guild by players you explored maps togheter

i miss it after i finished hot, as in pof mobs became ez once again, and too less mobs wants kill you in order to play togheterbut also it changed once you gathered smaller groups to kill bountys , it was kinda fun as you culd do it with 2-5ppl and kill boss togheterbut still i missed hot maps thoi don't know how about iceborn saga yet, as i not started it yet

@"Sobx.1758" said:This is now just becoming circular, and unproductive. You have repeated yourself multiple times insinuating I'm claiming something that I'm not, all the whilst quoting me but the explanation is in said quote or right after.

Here are some repeated points:

1. I've never said they don't have access or don't want to read the info either from the hero panel or not.
  2. I said the textile formatting could be improved via an NPC that walks you through things, never that the naming is confusing but just forgettable.
  3. This is something of a just "no ur wrong" argument, I've said that new players and returning alike meaning those who are already aware of the main stats like power, condi, boon, are still confused to what makes a build viable much less traits come end-game.
  4. You literally said people can just go google it, nothing about in-game availability... because it doesn't exist.

they can also skip it by googling meta/fotm/top builds for their class,the learning process.There is no learning process to finding the viable build, especially in end-game. The only learning process is either:a) someone tells you what to playb) someone tells you to wiki x build.c) you get denied higher fracs, denied raids, denied strikes because you don't know it since nothing in the game told you how to set up for it.

I'll leave it at this because as I said, I find this highly unproductive.Say what you will that I'm pretending something, and that I'm the one not reading yours but you are which works great in your favour.

The guild panel could be updated, without having to look in lfg or map chats.But as far as builds go, it really depends on the kind of player playing the game.You will have people like me who go the extra mile to look at metabattle.com and get ascended for fractals, and then you will have players like my BF who just dinks around in the game. I think it's more of an issue of who cares enough to look into builds.

@vicky.9751 said:But as far as builds go, it really depends on the kind of player playing the game.

I understand but I definitely think that the game could do a better job of demonstrating stats at play in a training mode element. In fact, even today I was helping new players with fractals and dungeons, and they were level 76-80 who had no idea what makes a build useful for their profession. I think my main gripe is with how there is a lack of display on how important weapon skills are and affects what kind of build you should run.

The original complaint is weird.

GW2 isn't perfect, but I'm starting to think OP thinks there shouldn't be SOME level of effort on the player to learn how the game works. I learned everything I needed from GW2 Wiki. While I think that information ingame can be sparse in some places, with just a LITTLE effort from the player, they can learn what they need via other sources of information. I have YET to be unable to figure out what I want to know from either the Wiki or Youtube.

Also, I think it's worth noting that there is ALSO a problem of being forced by a game to digest more information than is necessary which tends to garner complaints about having more 'reading' than 'playing' the game. Frankly, I think GW2 has a good balance ... you PLAY in the game, you LEARN technical details of the game outside of it.

@Oxstar.7643 said:I did the base story on one of my alts some time ago. During a cutscene where Zojja was supposed to say Durman Priory she said Vigil instead. I don't think ANet cares about the base game anymore.

You think that sort of miniscule discrepancy in some storyline dialogue is proof Anet doesn't care about the base game? That's absurd considering all the changes they continue to make to improve the base game.

I think at this point, while it's not perfect, refining the new player experience ship has SAILED, found the edge of the world and fallen off. It's simply not a good use of how Anet staff use their time, considering players have established numerous sources of information outside the game for the benefit of the players. Any reason for Anet to elaborate or duplicate that is HIGHLY questionable use of their resources.

I think the new game experience update was one of the worst updates in the games history. Personally I wish they would revert to the classic leveling system and personal story sequence. The level up rewards just fills your inventory with equipment that can not be sold or forged. The personal story was butchered. You know it was crap because anet added the tutorial achievements last year to try to teach the players the basics of the game. If you ever watched egoraptors megaman x tutorial breakdown, you noticed that the new game experience is just a bunch of popups that fills your inventory with junk, that people click through and learn nothing. The classic leveling lead to organic learning.

@Obtena.7952 said:

there shouldn't be SOME level of effort on the player to learn how the game works.The point is the player learn how the game works IN the game, with both a better integration to find guildmates and just friendsANDA better training system.

What is more engaging to learning fractals for example? Playing fractals, and practising with group friends OR looking up a wiki? It's dry. It's bland. It's boring.The focus here isn't for players who don't want to put in effort, it's for players who are trying to find answers IN THE game.

More importantly, please do understand that the Instructor idea serves as a place to experiment and practise _over the course of the levelling journey.__That's quite literally asking for the need to put in effort and practise but IN the game, learning mechanics in a clearly designated training area PREPARING new players for end-game content.

@"Oxstar.7643" said:I doubt we need an instanced training area.

one thing i wish they'd add to the starter zones, though not really an instanced area is a "CC-this-thing corner" with a chest on it kinda like the "dodge-the-spikes corner" with a chest on it. it wont be part of map completion, it would be super optional but it's a very small mini tutorial that could entice players to do it as soon as they can or come back for it later because it's a chest they haven't opened before. a tool tip popup would appear just like the one on the dodge-the-spikes informing the player for the first time how to get to the chest.

it can be as simple as a stone pedestal (breakable object with a CC breakbar) with a chest on top that you have to use CC skills/abilities on in order to get the chest down and opened. maybe it's a good and friendly way to introduce breakbars and CC abilities to new players that in the future level 80 content they'd do, they'll get reminded of this "breakbar"