Price fixing in Market Mystic Coins

When I started this game as a newbie, everything in the game overwhelmed me... Every single drop from monsters seemed like they could be a potential rare drop. Including mystic coins... Mat storage limit was 250. I didn't know what to do with mystic coins and yet I was not willing to sell them on tp coz compared to other materials, the accumulation was slow low... after a long time, I got to know about legendaries so I started hoarding it even when it exceeded 250 , I bought mat storage expansion and continued collecting clovers and coins. But I'm not interested in gold at all and definitely not interested in buying or selling anything on tp. Then it took a while to craft my legendary kudzu. This I believe is the mentality of a new casual player...

The point I'm trying to explain here is new players are not that much interested in gold and trading post. They don't sell mystic coins unless their mat storage fills up (even then, they might not sell). So don't expect the supply from new players to compensate the demand for mystic coins.

If u want mystic coin prices to stabilize or get enough for your needs, only way is anet should introduce a new source for mystic coins (coz wvw, cm fractals(always gated with 4k ufe) are not too friendly for average players)

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@"Eloc Freidon.5692" said:Mystic coins have deflated and inflated between 90s and 2g since I started playing. It isn't fixed. It changes based on demand.While there are indeed some shortterm dips and spikes in the MC price, the overall longterm trend is visibly upward. It's
not
level. And before you say "inflation", i'll add that this trend is also upward if you compare it to the market as a whole. There's very, very few commodities on the market with such a longterm steady one-direction trend.

Assuming I would claim something as stupid as "inflation" as a counter argument when my first argument is good enough. Long term is visibly upward because you're only concerned when it goes up. I've seen it go from 3g back down 90s during PoF because not introducing legendaries. That changed when they continued releasing one every Lv4 episode.

"Demand" is my argument. Since Anet won't change how to get mystic coins beyond the weekly vendors and login persistence of players, demand is the only leftover factor that will make the prices go up.

@Crystal Paladin.3871 said:When I started this game as a newbie, everything in the game overwhelmed me... Every single drop from monsters seemed like they could be a potential rare drop. Including mystic coins... Mat storage limit was 250. I didn't know what to do with mystic coins and yet I was not willing to sell them on tp coz compared to other materials, the accumulation was slow low... after a long time, I got to know about legendaries so I started hoarding it even when it exceeded 250 , I bought mat storage expansion and continued collecting clovers and coins. But I'm not interested in gold at all and definitely not interested in buying or selling anything on tp. Then it took a while to craft my legendary kudzu. This I believe is the mentality of a new casual player...

The point I'm trying to explain here is new players are not that much interested in gold and trading post. They don't sell mystic coins unless their mat storage fills up (even then, they might not sell). So don't expect the supply from new players to compensate the demand for mystic coins.

If u want mystic coin prices to stabilize or get enough for your needs, only way is anet should introduce a new source for mystic coins (coz wvw, cm fractals(always gated with 4k ufe) are not too friendly for average players)

Start new groups and learn the cm content?

@Eloc Freidon.5692 said:

@Eloc Freidon.5692 said:Mystic coins have deflated and inflated between 90s and 2g since I started playing. It isn't fixed. It changes based on demand.While there are indeed some shortterm dips and spikes in the MC price, the overall longterm trend is visibly upward. It's
not
level. And before you say "inflation", i'll add that this trend is also upward if you compare it to the market as a whole. There's very, very few commodities on the market with such a longterm steady one-direction trend.

"Demand" is my argument. Since Anet won't change how to get mystic coins beyond the weekly vendors and login persistence of players, demand is the only leftover factor that will make the prices go up.

You forget about the 24-30 available from WvW each month, and the 28-31 available from the LLA each month.

I believe that brings your potential each month to around 75. ?

@MattDu.7123 said:

@Super Hayes.6890 said:We don't come here for a level playing fieldAnd Sorry, I can't let that slide ;) Yes we do, that's why everyone gets upset when they put a pay to win feature into any multiplayer game and the PVP/WvW players want to nerf every profession but their own

off topic, how do I do the quote bit at the bottom, I like that

I think its in the settings somewhere. I only see it on a desktop, it doesn't show up on my mobile phone. I'm having a hard time replying to your previous posts. Can't find them ? Fair point on the level playing field comment. So annoying that I can't find your previous comment. You posted good info about MC prices...

@Kurrilino.2706 said:lol, not a demand and supply issue.....Many people need/want them, few are available. How is that no a demand and supply issue.If you can't afford MC, you won't have a legendary weapon. It's that easy.Are you guys the first day on this planet?

I guess people would just log in daily, do the Ley Line anomaly daily, and maybe do WvW to amass up to 70 ish per day if I couldn’t afford them.

@"Kurrilino.2706" said:lol, not a demand and supply issue.....Many people need/want them, few are available. How is that no a demand and supply issue.If you can't afford MC, you won't have a legendary weapon. It's that easy.Are you guys the first day on this planet?

"If you can't afford MC, you won't have a legendary weapon. It's that easy."

I made a leggo (to sell) with a pile of Clovers I obtained directly without any Mystic Coins. ¯\(ツ)/¯ PvE players are absolutely swimming in loot, you can afford it.

Or you could just… stockpile your login rewards and do the Leyline Guy once a day.

@valhalahunter.9863 said:Is Anet going to do something about this BLATANT price fixing. This is making an unfair experience to everyone that doesn't have DEEP pockets. A few of the top, Pieces of unidentified gear, all three flavors and this one is beyond unacceptable... Mystic coins. I think you should put a cap on these prices, so they can't be sold higher(which is only fair since it is unfair right now) or find what guild or group of people doing this and suspend their accounts. I have never been on to complain, but come on, I just want an even playing field like everyone else. Mystic coins LOCKED at 2G-420073 ordered. This isn't a supply and demand issue.

You do realize that you are asking for prices to be actually fixed while complaining about fictional price fixing right?

@Linken.6345 said:

@Crystal Paladin.3871 said:When I started this game as a newbie, everything in the game overwhelmed me... Every single drop from monsters seemed like they could be a potential rare drop. Including mystic coins... Mat storage limit was 250. I didn't know what to do with mystic coins and yet I was not willing to sell them on tp coz compared to other materials, the accumulation was slow low... after a long time, I got to know about legendaries so I started hoarding it even when it exceeded 250 , I bought mat storage expansion and continued collecting clovers and coins. But I'm not interested in gold at all and definitely not interested in buying or selling anything on tp. Then it took a while to craft my legendary kudzu. This I believe is the mentality of a new casual player...

Start new groups and learn the cm content?

I don't think a new player or casual will often do that or it's easy for them... My point is whether new player be a source to compensate the demand for mystic coins... And yes of course if you want extra coins yourself, u gotta learn cm content but that's not gonna bring down the mc price . Idk ?

Another point to add to this ridiculous argument is that you can get 7 mystic clovers every 28 days by simply logging into the game. It is very easy to accumulate the necessary mystic clovers for creating a legendary.

Also, is anyone going to consider that maybe people are taking a break from the game until the expac drops because Champions story is very dry and DRMs are not fun, which leads to less daily logins and as a result, less mystic coins to sell to the legendary farmers?

I like how

1) Some people not even using the Trading System of the game.2) Hoards a majority of the mystic coin market.3) Goes into Mail Trading over a 3rd party communication line using MC as major currency.4) Inflates the prices so much by limiting the amount in the trading post (as seen on the statistics from gw2bltc - https://www.gw2bltc.com/en/item/19976-Mystic-Coin at 920K Demand over 31K supply as of this posting) because why would I sell it over the TP when I can use it as a conversion method to get other stuffs over a 3rd party communication line (i.e Discord, Reddit) without paying for taxes.5) Makes a gigantic WALL @ 2g flat (444K buy order - already half of the demand and was originally at 1.8g but well, gotta inflate those riches) by using the same funds obtained from said 3rd party communication line to make it more expensive over said 3rd party communication line.

and is still NOT Price Fixing at this point.

But hey! According to ya savvy economist on this thread, Its simply the basic law of supply and demand right? nothing wrong with it. It's simply the flow on the price. It will always go up when demand goes up.

Edit : Added a small set of texts somewhere

@Will.9785 said:I agree that something needs to be done. Its blatant market manipulation by 1 or 2 guilds with very rich players (i.e. hundreds of thousands of gold).

This is harmful to the game in the long run. A new player would instantly be turned off by this if they wanted to go for a legendary. It puts what is already a daunting task for many players even further out of reach. Many may not find it worth the effort and leave the game. People need long term goals like this to stay invested in the game but they need to be reasonably within reach. The carrot on the stick approach only works if the person chasing the carrot actually believes they can get it.

A price of 2-3 gold is not fine. You need around 500 for gen 2 legendaries. That's over 1k gold JUST for the coins.

Even if you feel like 2-3 gold is fine, at what point does it start to become a problem? Because it can/will reach 3-5 gold before you know it given the manipulation we are seeing right now.

The whales are trading in legendary weapons. That's their currency. So mystic coin price will be affected by that.The mystic coin price is also affected because it's a store of value. Why hold gold? It's a garbage currency.Supply of mystic coins is limited, as others have said, so it's price shouldn't fluctuate with market whims.

@Svarty.8019 said:

The whales are trading in legendary weapons. That's their currency. So mystic coin price will be affected by that.The mystic coin price is also affected because it's a store of value. Why hold gold? It's a garbage currency.Supply of mystic coins is limited, as others have said, so it's price shouldn't fluctuate with market whims.

From what I noticed in the majority of their posts whales mainly trade in mystic coin. They only trade legendaries and crafting materials if the price of the item is sky high(like chak infusion). Gold is a garbage currency? Did they trade their legendaries for mystic coins in the tp when they tanked the price? Whales also hold a ton of gold but mainly trade on other things because of the mailing restrictions.

@"Svarty.8019" said:The whales are trading in legendary weapons.?? m coins needed ONLY for T2 leg weapons, but T2 is acc bound weapons ..On T1 you not need any m coins, only 77 m clover that we get enough from wvw/pvp tracks and dayli logins.

The mystic coin price is also affected because it's a store of value. Why hold gold? It's a garbage currency."hold"? for that purpose? People who play not hold, they spend for many items.

Supply of mystic coins is limitedSupply of mystic coins is unlimited. Each day we have wave of dayli logins and drops from cms fractals ..

as others have said, so it's price shouldn't fluctuate with market whims.the price is not "big" now. I don't see any panic if I need buy few stacks.

@lare.5129 said:

@"Svarty.8019" said:The whales are trading in legendary weapons.?? m coins needed ONLY for T2 leg weapons, but T2 is acc bound weapons ..They trade in gen1 legendaries obviously... MCs are used for clovers, so they are linked in price.

On T1 you not need any m coins, only 77 m clover that we get enough from wvw/pvp tracks and dayli logins.Maybe for you. You need to wait almost a year for logins alone for 77 clovers, and playing PvE only means you either craft clovers directly or farm Drizzlewood for a long time. That means plenty of players use MCs for clover creation.

The mystic coin price is also affected because it's a store of value. Why hold gold? It's a garbage currency."hold"? for that purpose? People who play not hold, they spend for many items.

We are entering a inflationary economy in which the value of materials is increasing with no comparable gold farms. That's why he says gold is garbage.

Supply of mystic coins is limitedSupply of mystic coins is unlimited. Each day we have wave of dayli logins and drops from cms fractals ..Extremely wrong. If we go by your logic, every material in the game is unlimited because you can farm it in some way over time. Supply is determined by how much is being provided on the TP; if it all gets bought out and everyone hoards, supply shrinks. Login rewards and CMs (which very few players do compared to total playerbase) are insufficient to meet demand. This is why that wall hasn't been taken down - the playerbase isn't generating enough MCs to offset demand and the barons aren't willing to sell because their store of value is propped up by that wall.

@Chaos.7614 said:We are entering a deflationary economy in which the value of materials is increasing with no comparable gold farms. That's why he says gold is garbage.

Really? When exactly will this start? If you cared to check, most items are on an all-time low. The exception being items which are required for new collections, which increase due to new demand or are limited via time gates in acquisition.

Which is also why Mystic Coin prices can increase since the end products, legendary T1 weapons, are based to the most extent on 3 resources:

• T6 materials (at an all-time low as mentioned)
  • precursor (again most are at all-time lows due to exotics being cheap)
  • Mystic Coins (the only resource which is gated and can't be farmed)

So in order to keep legendary T1 weapons at a similar price, Mystic Coins can rise. Which only offsets the cost to a certain extent, given legendary T1 weapons are also at an all-time low price wise. Which makes this entire complaint even funnier, given currently T1 legendary weapons are the cheapest they have ever been both in crafting as well as purchasing, yet somehow players find ways to complain.

Going to repeat this because I know some are going to overread it:It is the cheapest it has EVER been to craft T1 legendary items, even at the current higher Mystic Coin cost.

The area where this does not hold true are items where the total Mystic Coins cost is significantly higher value wise than the other materials (T2 weapons, trinkets, etc.). Even with these items the price so far has held steady and not increased past past peaks. Once that happens to a significant extent, we can talk again.

@Chaos.7614 said:This is why that wall hasn't been taken down - the playerbase isn't generating enough MCs to offset demand and the barons aren't willing to sell because their store of value is propped up by that wall.

The player base could very well be generating enough supply, the demand on the trading post simply grows faster than the supply provided to the TP, especially since not all in-game supply lands on the trading post. Which was actually visible in the first few days of the 2 gold wall when it melted daily by 20-30,000 buy orders. Unfortunately as players started hoarding again, this trend did not continue. That does not tell us that the existing amount of Mystic Coins is insufficient or that the generation into the game needs to increase.

In fact the amount of Mystic Coins being traded on the TP has continually increased over the last months/years while the listed supply has remained mostly the same.

As to what @SASHI.7260 mentioned for players generating out of game gold. True, that is likely happening but is also limited in how much earnings it can generate given items in the gray markets are traded at 92.5% of TP value on average, splitting the gain of bypassing the 15% tax between buyer and seller. So it is not as though players can infinitely buy up Mystic Coins. They also do not have to. All it takes is finding the price point where the melt of the demand can be offset without to much loss, while covering the losses with the 7.5% out of game gain. Until more players start hoarding again.

The rest is simply conversion into a currency used out of game and hoarding of gold in form of safe assets. In fact from a trader perspective, having a less volatile Mystic Coin price is beneficial. It is both very annoying and dangerous to deal with a highly volatile currency. Mystic Coins to traders are a currency with which they work with. Having it increase or decrease in value makes trading more difficult.