What if the DSD's Name is Sedna?

Tsakhi.8124

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sedna_(mythology)

It's far-fetched, sure. There still is the possibility. For those that don't want to read the article, Sedna is the Inuit goddess of the Sea, AKA Mother of the Sea. What fascinates me is that many theorize that the DSD is the "Mother" Kralk spoke of. Again, this is pure conjecture and is probably not the case, but this wouldn't be the first time that A-Net has used deity-related names in both in-game characters and items.

Further add to this that Sedna is not a complacent goddess, in fact, she is known for her tempestuous nature and her inclination to withhold bounty should she become displeased. Some say the bounty she withholds are parts of her, so that kind puts her size into perspective, even if it is in the scope of mythology.

i'm trying to defrost, I will not go to sleep I will not go to sleep I will not.....zzzzz

While it is true that Anet has used names with real life references, at least to my knowledge this doesn't hold true for elder dragons. All of them have original names.

It is possible that the elder dragon will have that name and reference this goddess, but right now I would assume that this is not the case since all 5 elder dragons we know so far don't follow such nomenclature.

@Fenella.2634 said:

@Kodama.6453 said:While it is true that Anet has used names with real life references, at least to my knowledge this doesn't hold true for elder dragons. All of them have original names.

Well... Debatable. Some like Zhaitan and Mordremoth are at least references to RL myths, others like Kralkatorrik are completely original.

I am not aware, can you elaborate a bit how these 2 names are referencing rl myths?

@Kodama.6453 said:

@Kodama.6453 said:While it is true that Anet has used names with real life references, at least to my knowledge this doesn't hold true for elder dragons. All of them have original names.

Well... Debatable. Some like Zhaitan and Mordremoth are at least references to RL myths, others like Kralkatorrik are completely original.

I am not aware, can you elaborate a bit how these 2 names are referencing rl myths?

Zhaitan sounds very much like a variation of Satan, which also kind of fits the theme.And the sylvari are referencing King Arthur legends so much, it's not hard to see the connection between Mordred and Mordrem / Mordremoth.

@Fenella.2634 said:

Zhaitan sounds very much like a variation of Satan, which also kind of fits the theme.And the sylvari are referencing King Arthur legends so much, it's not hard to see the connection between Mordred and Mordrem / Mordremoth.

Like I said, derivatives, but not the exact same.

I dunno, I don't think the Sea Dragon will be the mother and I really hope it isn't.I think of that mother figure as something much older than existing Elder Dragons which opens up far more interesting potential for some deep origin backstory about Elder Dragons and how they came to be Elder Dragons.

@"Teratus.2859" said:I dunno, I don't think the Sea Dragon will be the mother and I really hope it isn't.I think of that mother figure as something much older than existing Elder Dragons which opens up far more interesting potential for some deep origin backstory about Elder Dragons and how they came to be Elder Dragons.

Yeah, I actually thought that this is supposed to be a seed for how the story is going to progress after the elder dragons.

Anet stated that End of Dragons is not supposed to be the end of GW2. Even if the elder dragons are defeated, the story is supposed to go on. This "mother" is most likely another entity that stands behind the entire dragon cycle.

@Kodama.6453 said:

@"Teratus.2859" said:I dunno, I don't think the Sea Dragon will be the mother and I really hope it isn't.I think of that mother figure as something much older than existing Elder Dragons which opens up far more interesting potential for some deep origin backstory about Elder Dragons and how they came to be Elder Dragons.

Yeah, I actually thought that this is supposed to be a seed for how the story is going to progress after the elder dragons.

Anet stated that End of Dragons is not supposed to be the end of GW2. Even if the elder dragons are defeated, the story is supposed to go on. This "mother" is most likely another entity that stands behind the entire dragon cycle.

Quite possibly yea, though I expect some people will be annoyed if the story after the Elder Dragon story is more Elder Dragon stuff lolI won't complain though I do not share those people's opinions, after dealing with the Elder Dragons I do want to explore their origins and find out where they came from/how they came to be in the first place.Those things are ancient.. predating countless sentient races and even recorded history, it could be very interesting to get things like fractals or DRM like content based in the mists that is set tens of thousands of years in the past in a Tyria that we wouldn't even recognise.. full of races we never even knew existed, as well as a few extinct ones that we have encountered in the past.

Guildwars 1 had a cancelled 4th game called Utopia which was based on a similar concept.. a expansion/release that was based entirely in the mists.There is so much potential in the mists for all sorts of content, including a story that might even allow us to find the world where Humans originally came from and learn their origins and why the Gods brought them to Tyria in the first place.

@"Kodama.6453" said:Anet stated that End of Dragons is not supposed to be the end of GW2. Even if the elder dragons are defeated, the story is supposed to go on. This "mother" is most likely another entity that stands behind the entire dragon cycle.Honestly, the way Kralk said the word "mother" implied she was already dead IMO.

Assuming it doesn't get resolved in EoD, the post EoD story could tie up the gods narrative by dealing with whatever Lyssa is up to.

Even besides that, theres a few stories like Malyck, and the Ghosts of Ascalon, they could spend some LW chapters on also. Maybe add Wizard's tower as a raid.

Zhaitan -> ShaitanJormag -> JormungandrKralkatorrik -> KrakatoaMordremoth -> MordredPrimordus -> Primordial

While not a 1:1 copy, they're very clear inspirational sources. So could the DSD's name be Sedna? Unlikely. But based off of Sedna? yes.

@"Fueki.4753" said:Why should we deal with whatever Lyssa is up to in the Mists?She departed from Tyria with the other gods.When Balthazar dies at the end of Path of Fire he curses all of the gods for betraying him except Lyssa, and Anet has said there is a reason for that.

Given that he was previously using an artifact of Lyssa to disguise himself as Lazarus, his lack of cursing Lyssa alongside the other gods, that the Orrian history scrolls state that Lyssa was the one most connected to mortals, and had to be "commanded" by the other gods to leave mortal towns and go to Arah once it was finished, as well as Anet's confirmation of there being a reason behind Balthazar not cursing Lyssa, its long been suspected that Lyssa is up to something.

Anet has also previously stated that the story of the human gods isn't over yet, which adds further credibility to it.

@Fueki.4753 said:

@Sajuuk Khar.1509 said:Assuming it doesn't get resolved in EoD, the post EoD story could tie up the gods narrative by dealing with whatever Lyssa is up to.Why should we deal with whatever Lyssa is up to in the Mists?She departed from Tyria with the other gods.@Sajuuk Khar.1509 said:@Fueki.4753 said:Why should we deal with whatever Lyssa is up to in the Mists?She departed from Tyria with the other gods.When Balthazar dies at the end of Path of Fire he curses all of the gods for betraying him except Lyssa, and Anet has said there is a reason for that.

Given that he was previously using an artifact of Lyssa to disguise himself as Lazarus, his lack of cursing Lyssa alongside the other gods, that the Orrian history scrolls state that Lyssa was the one most connected to mortals, and had to be "commanded" by the other gods to leave mortal towns and go to Arah once it was finished, as well as Anet's confirmation of there being a reason behind Balthazar not cursing Lyssa, its long been suspected that Lyssa is up to something.

Anet has also previously stated that the story of the human gods isn't over yet, which adds further credibility to it.

Plus, why not deal with Lyssa? A lot of us want to know more about what's going on with the Six. At least so long as they don't turn this Lyssa thread into Abaddon 3.0.

@Sajuuk Khar.1509 said:When Balthazar dies at the end of Path of Fire he curses all of the gods for betraying him except Lyssa, and Anet has said there is a reason for that.There may be a reason for that, but it's also established fact that Lyssa left Tyria with the others.Therefore she no longer has anything to do with us, who were left behind.Said reason can be as little as Lyssa disagreeing with the others and refusing to take away his godhood.

Unless Arenanet retcons the fact that Lyssa left, or we chase the gods into the Mists, there is no way for Lyssa to become part of the plot.

@"Fueki.4753" said:There may be a reason for that, but it's also established fact that Lyssa left Tyria with the others.Therefore she no longer has anything to do with us, who were left behind.Said reason can be as little as Lyssa disagreeing with the others and refusing to take away his godhood.

Unless Arenanet retcons the fact that Lyssa left, or we chase the gods into the Mists, there is no way for Lyssa to become part of the plot.There is no established "fact" that Lyssa left.

Kormir claims she left, but Kormir isn't all knowing, and Lyssa is the goddess of illusions, and a twin goddess. Lyssa could have magiced her way into making it look like she left, or maybe one of the twins left, and the other didn't.

You should never take anything an NPC says as literal truth. Developers write NPC dialog from the perspective of that NPC, a flawed being with limited understanding of the situation.

@Fueki.4753 said:

@Sajuuk Khar.1509 said:When Balthazar dies at the end of Path of Fire he curses all of the gods for betraying him except Lyssa, and Anet has said there is a reason for that.There may be a reason for that, but it's also established fact that Lyssa left Tyria with the others.Therefore she no longer has anything to do with us, who were left behind.Said reason can be as little as Lyssa disagreeing with the others and refusing to take away his godhood.

Unless Arenanet retcons the fact that Lyssa left, or we chase the gods into the Mists, there is no way for Lyssa to become part of the plot.

Why are you so against the rest of us finding out what was going on with Lyssa and the rest of the Six?

I'm interested in seeing how they might incorporate Jormag into this - as Jormag is likely named after Jormungandr.

The legend of Jormaungandr is about a snake biting its own tail, wrapped around the world, perpetually stuck in a cycle. Difficult to see how this relates to the current living story, but the fact that breaking that cycle results in Ragnarok, which seems to result in the world being submerged in water is interesting. With Fenrir setting the other half of the world ablaze. I don't know, just reading the wiki. lmao.

But we have Primordus (potentially Fenrir) and Jormag (Jormungandr) - As this living story could relate to the on a symbolic level, I'm too tired to think about. But I'm assuming Braham is Thor in this analogy.

Personally, I've always found it weird that we had a water AND an ice dragon, and that Ice would be a counter to Fire over water in terms of the dragons.

@Sajuuk Khar.1509 said:

@"Fueki.4753" said:There may be a reason for that, but it's also established fact that Lyssa left Tyria with the others.Therefore she no longer has anything to do with us, who were left behind.Said reason can be as little as Lyssa disagreeing with the others and refusing to take away his godhood.

Unless Arenanet retcons the fact that Lyssa left, or we chase the gods into the Mists, there is no way for Lyssa to become part of the plot.There is no established "fact" that Lyssa left.

Kormir claims she left, but Kormir isn't all knowing, and Lyssa is the goddess of illusions, and a twin goddess. Lyssa could have magiced her way into making it look like she left, or maybe one of the twins left, and the other didn't.

You should never take anything an NPC says as literal truth. Developers write NPC dialog from the perspective of that NPC, a flawed being with limited understanding of the situation.

Kormir isn‘t a normal „unreliable narrator“ NPC. She‘s the goddess of Truth. If her truth isn‘t an established fact, then everything she stands for as a goddess has no meaning. That would also mean, that the titles of the other gods have no meaning. Therefore Lyssa‘s title as goddess of illusion would just be a title, and not a truth.

@Raknar.4735 said:

Kormir isn‘t a normal „unreliable narrator“ NPC. She‘s the goddess of Truth. If her truth isn‘t an established fact, then everything she stands for as a goddess has no meaning. That would also mean, that the titles of the other gods have no meaning. Therefore Lyssa‘s title as goddess of illusion would just be a title, and not a truth.

To my understanding, Kormir is actually the Goddess of Knowledge. Her title, being Goddess of Truth, has more to do with how she treats the knowledge. She inherited her power from Abaddon who was the God of Secrets, because he took all of the knowledge and hoarded it for himself. Kormir is called the Goddess of Truth because she is more open and sharing of the knowledge that she has, and as a Sunspear stood for justice, which means she prefers to expose knowledge under the light of Truth. This does not mean that she automatically knows everything or automatically knows the truth of every situation. The gods of Guild Wars are not omni-anything, but they do stand quite a few pegs above the power of humans.

@Sajuuk Khar.1509 said:

@"Fueki.4753" said:Why should we deal with whatever Lyssa is up to in the Mists?She departed from Tyria with the other gods.When Balthazar dies at the end of Path of Fire he curses all of the gods for betraying him except Lyssa, and Anet has said there is a reason for that.

i hope so, human gods far more interesting than dragons.

@Narcemus.1348 said:

To my understanding, Kormir is actually the Goddess of Knowledge. Her title, being Goddess of Truth, has more to do with how she treats the knowledge. She inherited her power from Abaddon who was the God of Secrets, because he took all of the knowledge and hoarded it for himself. Kormir is called the Goddess of Truth because she is more open and sharing of the knowledge that she has, and as a Sunspear stood for justice, which means she prefers to expose knowledge under the light of Truth. This does not mean that she automatically knows everything or automatically knows the truth of every situation. The gods of Guild Wars are not omni-anything, but they do stand quite a few pegs above the power of humans.

She‘s the Goddess of Truth and Knowledge, as seen in Facing the Truth. Her Avatar is the Seer of Truth https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Seer_of_Truth. Of course she‘s not omni-sapient, but she‘s the Goddess of Truth for a reason. She wouldn‘t share knowledge that turns out to be flat out wrong. If she says that all the other gods left before her and even that Lyssa made fun of her for staying behind, then that is most certainly the truth.