I hope dragons in cantha doesn't look like the Lunar Maned Skyscale...

Hoover.6394

@Hoover.6394 said:

@"Fueki.4753" said:Nothing of the "Lunar-maned" name strikes me as Asian.

I guess Lunar new year sounds just like a nightly event for you?One thing with "lunar" in its name being asian-themed doesn't mean all of them are. It's not like Asia has some sort of monopoly on the moon, after all.

For example, Lunar Wolf is something that also exists in this game, and has nothing to do with Cantha or asian themes at all.

Lol the new Skyscale skin looks like a Dog with wings to me XD

Don't worry though even back in Gw1 there were significant differences between Tyrian Dragons and Canthan Dragons.Canthan dragons tend to be far more Eastern Serpent like or Turtle/Tortoise like in design while Tyrian Dragons have more Western and Drake like styles as you can also see in Gw2, the exceptions to that rule are naturally the Elder Dragons.Hydra's are also a thing as well although they no longer appear to be a Tyrian based creature like they were in Gw1 and now exclusively reside in Elona.There's also Wyverns now too which are a new addition to the universe and were not in Gw1.

Aurine, Vlast and Skyscales can all be seen in Gw2 and show your more Western style winged 4 legged Dragons and Glint was the same, likewise Tyria also has multiple species of Wingless Drakes which are a lesser species of Dragon in this universe.

As for Cantha well we've seen Kuunavang in the trailer for End of Dragons and she still has the same serpent design she did in Gw1 so that's good.There's also the mini mystical dragon which was added for the Chinese release of the game.. not a creature we've ever seen in Gw2 but that is an asset they could reuse for a creature in Cantha if they wanted to.. personally I'd really love to see that.

The Elders are more diverse though which makes sense since we don't even know where they originate anyway.Zhaitan is just a mishmash of parts we know nothing about his true/original form as it's long lost to time he could have been anything.Mordremoth is a Wyrm, a limbless, wingless serpent that appears to be rooted into the ground and immobile.Kralkatorrik is more Western style, again 4 legs and wings like Glint and Aurine.

The rest we don't have confirmation on yet but it is heavily speculated that Jormag is a Lindwurm style dragon, a long serpent like dragon with two front legs and probably no wings.. and since Primordus has been dropped as Jormag's Twin it's possible he too will share a similar design.When you add the crocodilish face reveal he had in S3 to the fact that we know he lives underground and tunnels his way around the world more serpent like design would definitely make the most sense for him to have.So Primordus is likely a wingless Lindwurm or Wyrm like Dragon or possibly something akin to a Salamander or Knucker Dragon.

The Deep Sea Dragon is the only one we know next to nothing about and it's design varies greatly in concept art.There has only been one single glimpse of this dragon in Gw2 during a cutscene in Path of Fire where we see a Dragon inside a blue triangle which is presumed! not confirmed to be the Deep Sea Dragon.In this glimpse we can see what appears to be a large black dragon with wings, at least two front legs and a tail.https://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/1/14/The_Way_Forward_Dragon_concept_art.jpg

So perhaps another western style dragon or maybe a winged Lindwurm.Although we do also have to factor in that there is a severely strong possibility that the DSD will not look anything like this image when we finally see it in game.Personally I am hoping for this as well as one of the lesser known Dragon Species in the Guildwars franchise is actually the Bonesnap Turtles of Cantha.. a very rare Dragon type in Gw1 that was only ever found on Shing Jea island.https://wiki.guildwars.com/images/4/47/Bonesnap_Turtle.jpg

I am hoping the DSD dragon will be some kind of hybrid between a Bonesnap Turtle and a Hydra, a gigantic armoured turtle like dragon with at least 3 heads.. that would be awesome and it would fit with the Canthan region really good as Turtles are kind of a thing when it comes to design there.Bonesnap Turtles, Kappa and the Giant turtles the Luxons use as siege weapons and beasts of burden.. all of these are very unique to Cantha so giving the DSD a Turtle like design would definitely work for me, plus I love the idea of it being darn near invincible as nothing can penetrate it's shell ^^

• Like 1

@Hoover.6394 said:

@"Fueki.4753" said:Nothing of the "Lunar-maned" name strikes me as Asian.

I guess Lunar new year sounds just like a nightly event for you?

The first thing I think of, when I hear or read lunar, is the moon. The first animals I think of are wolves, not dragons.The first animals I think of when hearing/reading mane are grown-up male lions.

And New Year is just a celebration of the year's number changing.

Also, here in Germany most people (that I know of) refer to it as Chinese New Year.That's a name that's not even slightly related to the moon.

@Fueki.4753 said:

@Fueki.4753 said:Nothing of the "Lunar-maned" name strikes me as Asian.

The first thing I think of, when I hear or read
lunar,
is the moon. The first animals I think of are wolves, not dragons.The first animals I think of when hearing/reading
mane
are grown-up male lions.

And
New Year
is just a celebration of the year's number changing.

Also, here in Germany most people (that I know of) refer to it as
Chinese New Year.
That's a name that's not even slightly related to the moon.

Except it is. The Chinese New Year IS a Lunar New Year.

@Fueki.4753 said:

lunar,
is the moon. The first animals I think of are wolves, not dragons.The first animals I think of when hearing/reading
mane
are grown-up male lions.

And
New Year

Chinese New Year.

Trivia:Lunar New Year (or Chinese New Year) is the Spring Festival based on the Yin Calender (as Yin and Yang). and it's based on the full cycle of the moon phases.The modern calendar we use today is also existed in Chinese culture and they call it Yang Calender (sun calendar) or Nong Calender which mean Agriculture Calender.It's more called Lunar new year now days because a lot of other Asian countries other than China also share this tradition.

@Hoover.6394 said:

lunar,
mane
are grown-up male lions.

And
New Year

Chinese New Year.

Trivia:Lunar New Year (or Chinese New Year) is the Spring Festival based on the Yin Calender (as Yin and Yang). and it's based on the full cycle of the moon phases.The modern calendar we use today is also existed in Chinese culture and they call it Yang Calender (sun calendar) or Nong Calender which mean Agriculture Calender.It's more called Lunar new year now days because a lot of other Asian countries other than China also share this tradition.

The word Monday is based on moon.The whole concept of months is based on the moon.The word menstruation comes from the Latin word for moon.Is the Lunar New Year the first thing you think of in all three cases?After all, apparently you consider the Lunar New Year to be the most important thing to the moon.

@Fueki.4753 said:

lunar,
mane
are grown-up male lions.

And
New Year

Chinese New Year.

The word Monday is based on moon.The whole concept of months is based on the moon.The word menstruation comes from the Latin word for moon.Is the Lunar New Year the
first thing
you think of in all three cases?After all, apparently you consider the Lunar New Year to be the most important thing to the moon.

Oh u still on that topic lol... I’m was just explaining why it’s call Lunar new year...

But see those examples u showed are using the word “Moon” rather than Lunar. If the skin is call Moon Maned I wouldn’t question the oriental reference at all.

Sure lunar mean moon first, it’s also Sailor Moon’s black cat and Sarah Brightman’s album name. Those are the things that came to my mind first when I hear the word ?

The reason it get connect with Cantha is also because of the timing, it became available on the day the Lunar New Year event finished, and sure It’s not necessary that they are connected, but there defiantly I tension there.

The skin grow on me though, might get it today

@Astyrah.4015 said:

@Hoover.6394 said:Was super excited to see the name from the update notes this morning, those the skin was disappointing. For me it doesn’t look like a oriental dragon at all, more like some weird dog/goat dragon from the NeverEnding story...

it's like they slapped a dog's head on the skyscale's neck, added some fake mane extensions on the neck and called it a day lol

It’s we just focus on the skin’s look itself...Look at the skin closely, it actually got a lot of details, the hair is not poorly done, the paws looks good and tails too.

I think my biggest problem with it now is mostly it’s face, it’s looks a lot more like a goat than a dog, a dog would be so much better, but a goat face with that evil eyes (why gave him an evil vertical pupil eyes) it not that cute.

And these horn design just make it look even more like a goat, maybe it’s the intention to make it a little devilish? But then I’m struggle to decide if the skin should be cute or creepy, I rather it get a simply wolf face with a deer/ox horn

@Hoover.6394 said:

@Hoover.6394 said:Was super excited to see the name from the update notes this morning, those the skin was disappointing. For me it doesn’t look like a oriental dragon at all, more like some weird dog/goat dragon from the NeverEnding story...

it's like they slapped a dog's head on the skyscale's neck, added some fake mane extensions on the neck and called it a day lol

It’s we just focus on the skin’s look itself...Look at the skin closely, it actually got a lot of details, the hair is not poorly done, the paws looks good and tails too.

I think my biggest problem with it now is mostly it’s face, it’s looks a lot more like a goat than a dog, a dog would be so much better, but a goat face with that evil eyes (why gave him an evil vertical pupil eyes) it not that cute.

And these horn design just make it look even more like a goat, maybe it’s the intention to make it a little devilish? But then I’m struggle to decide if the skin should be cute or creepy, I rather it get a simply wolf face with a deer/ox horn

actually i saw the other thread here about the dye channels for this specific mount and yeah after a good dye job, the mount itself becomes more tolerable. it's still not my type but it looks a lot better with a proper recolour :)

the said topic:https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/124059/anyone-knows-what-are-the-dye-channels-for-the-new-skyscale

Given that this thing was dropped on the last day of the Lunar New Year, I definitely expected it to look more like your sketch. I understand if hiding the wings wasn't an option (though how did the hummingbird Skimmer happen in that case?) but maybe they could have replaced those with wing-shaped cloud particles or something.

I do think if they were aiming for an eastern dragon (or kirin?) that they failed and if they were aiming for a Skyscale, they also failed. If anything, it looks like the goat Springer. Then again, I'm always pretty disappointed when we get a skin of a creature that's seen nowhere else in Tyria with little or no explanation of where it came from.

@AgentMoore.9453 said:Then again, I'm always pretty disappointed when we get a skin of a creature that's seen nowhere else in Tyria with little or no explanation of where it came from.

There was I'm sure a reference many, many years ago that black lion skins are exactly that in lore - skins or holograms you place over the top of the mount. If that remains true or I haven't misrememebered the context, then some of these random ones can be explained away as Evon just making them up as original designs.