The aesthetic of GW2 has become compromised/let us turn off flashy armor

@"Eraden.8740" said:I have no plans on doing fractals and the only infusions I would really be interested in are the ones with an additional stat. All of those are gaudy as hell with all manner of weird lighting effects.

you can get the wvw infusions they also give +5 to stats while having no visual effects like the fractal ones (difference being wvw infusions give bonus damage to guards and stuff, while fractal infusions give agony resist)

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Infusion#WvW_Infusions

• 1 month later...

OMW, I go to a gathering point like Eye of the north or Mislock sanctuary and I can't see or find the traders for flashing costumes. You can't make most of the people out, they are all part of this ball of vulgar lights. It does cheapen the game but sadly it eventually creeps into them all in the name of profit.

I am one of the few who use their transmutes to dress down.

A button to make everyone else's armour basic armour would be a God send and take the awful strain of my eyes.

@Astyrah.4015 said:

@"firedragon.8953" said:If anything, staying in "regular" armor makes you stand out more. haha

this. lol i tend to notice more the people who tastefully put together the stuff available ingame or sometimes mixed with the old gemstore armour sets without flashy infusions than the ones who stack every possible effects/infusions with every possible flaming/shining thing from the gemstore/achievements/etc.

sure i'd "see" the shiny people right away from the get-go but but i usually pay them no attention but then if i spot a well-put-together wardrobe from a player with the "regular" stuff (yeah sometimes you really see them stand out or "shine" amongst the visual noise), sometimes i tend to zoom a bit just to see what kind of transmog they got going there.

Pretty much the same. When I see someone with flashy armor and weapons, I usually look at them from a distance/zoomed out. When someone is wearing subtle stuff, I zoom in and look at the parts and character traits like hair and eyes color too.

Personally don't see anything wrong with flashy stuff, you just have to know how to use them in moderation, not floaty fx armor+glowing weapons+infusion+animated back piece with glowing fx+foot step fx. Lol you can pick one (Maybe 2) of those together with some subtle stylish options and still look good.

That all being said, I've been pointing this out for the longest that there will come a time when people start noticing the bloat of skins and how they gravitate to the gaudy side. As a fan of outfits, many are very subtle and stylized which is exactly what I like.

@"Joote.4081" said:A button to make everyone else's armour basic armour would be a God send and take the awful strain of my eyes.

You can sort of do this. Go to the Graphics tab in the Options panel, and put "Character Model Quality" on lowest. Here's what everyone will look like: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Options#Gallery_of_generic_character_models Sadly, this doesn't cancel out infusions, certain shoulder skins (like Nightfury or Winter's Presence*) or backpacks, so you'll be dealing with a sea of glowing faceless mannequins. Makes the world seem pretty creepy and ruins immersion even faster than the eye-searing migraines people like to dress up as now, but it does save your eyes a bit.

*At least, not that I've noticed. I could be wrong?

@Luke.4936 said:The Devs have seriously ruined this game with their immersion-breaking, unloreful, gaudy armor & weapons, outfits & backpacks, mount & glider skins, dyes & infusions, etc. It seems they have zero restraint.As a GW1 vet, it is especially sad to see.A toggle option couldn't come soon enough! and would improve my enjoyment of this game greatly.

The game released with a pink shortbow that shoots rainbow unicorns.

Honestly I think the best argument going around here is the "it hurts my eyes/gives me headaches" one. For accessibility reasons if nothing else, it probably pays to give players a way to rein it in a bit.Most of the rest comes across as people trying to dictate what everyone else should like, which is never going to make any headway.

It's true that there were gem store items that were silly at launch, but those were limited to town clothing. You'd see people in sunglasses and boxing gloves around town. As soon as you left a city, everything looked normal, except for the odd legendaries. There was restraint, until they had to remove town clothing.

@Batel.9206 said:

@"Joote.4081" said:A button to make everyone else's armour basic armour would be a God send and take the awful strain of my eyes.

You can sort of do this. Go to the Graphics tab in the Options panel, and put "Character Model Quality" on lowest. Here's what everyone will look like:
Sadly, this doesn't cancel out infusions, certain shoulder skins (like Nightfury or Winter's Presence*) or backpacks, so you'll be dealing with a sea of glowing faceless mannequins. Makes the world seem pretty creepy and ruins immersion even faster than the eye-searing migraines people like to dress up as now, but it does save your eyes a bit.

*At least, not that I've noticed. I could be wrong?

I'm sure I've tried that and it didn't work. I will try again.Also people have mounts that breath fire. Talk about immersion breaking. We are trying to defeat dragons while riding dragons. It is all going a bit to crazy now. Some days I just can't get into the game and it's usually down to all the immersion breaking glitter that is being introduced into the game. Those days I switch it off and go fly a kite or something.