For all their bad i think drms as a concept have a place in GW2.

zealex.9410

@Vancho.8750 said:Strikes and DRMs are a fine concept of reusing story encounters as repayable content, witch is really lacking in the game for some reason. They really need to focus on how to bring content to the game in a way that is not one and done like the old story progression. Having the normal story and then encounter shared between solo story mode, raids, dungeons, strikes,fractals, drms or whatever will be a fine way to save dev time. I still don't understand why they separated everything in its own little universe instead of delivering packed experience for everyone instead of people getting group content once in 2 years.

Drms couls be the standard story instances that include combat, strikes could be the climactic or big boss fights of lw in a 10 man format and then whats original is fractals and raida which could still maybe keep their 12 month cadenae because inbetween you are getting strikes and drms. Even better if strikes also had a cm for the hardcore crowd.

So much content gets made to only be played once and strikes/drms esque systems fix that, however i doubt anet realises this.

I would be happy if they used this system to reanimate the main story plot points of Living World Season 1.

LVL 80
Scarlet War cinematic (include note about repayable episodes at Eye of North)Mail that Eye of North portal open [currently in game]1 DRM style chapter introducing each member of the B Team (e.g., Retake Craigsted with Braham) with a short cinematic when going through gate to establish backstory (Braham rejected help by Eir, etc.).A few more DRMs, including the destruction of the old Lions Arch.

Finally "fix" the giant plot hole that literally has us miss the introduction of the team we are stuck with for the rest of the game. Also implement Scarlet's War achievements, etc. Really sell the new cast, make the story fast paced (something I think DRM style could do well) and leave F2P players wanting more to go buy expansions, etc. The smaller social aspect with both private and public instances is also a nice change from just "solo" or "blob" gameplay which has become common for story and meta content.

@"Fueki.4753" said:They should use the Scrying Pool for that though, not the DRM system.There already are parts of Season 1 in the Scrying Pool, just not enough.

The fundamental flaw with the Scrying Pool is that it is because of Aurene during Icebrood Saga that the pool is activated. So unless the commander finds a way to use the pool before Aurene's Visions of the Past, this does not help with continuity, helping new players continue the story after the core story and before LWS2. Having the commander use the pool pre-HoT may also bring about problems since the commander acts as if they first experience a vision when Aurene introduces it to them. Providing LWS1 content several hundreds of hours after a new player should be introduced to it wasn't the smartest move in my opinion, and honestly the devs have weaved themselves an overly convoluted and poorly structured narrative in doing so. Although I am happy something was partially done to try to correct the plot holes. Visions of the Past: Season One Missions should not be within Icebood Saga, they should be in Season One after watching the cinematic when talking to Ela Makkay.

We are told the Asuran Gate in the Hall of Monuments is reopened once we hit level 80. We are also prompted to watch that forgetful cinematic in Lions Arch (which should also be made rewatchable by the way) when the first character on an account reaches level 80. Using the gate would be much easier to tie these two things together based on the current world building. But then, yes, we have the problem with the current Scrying Pool episodes. I guess devs could build a new story with some priory scholar group looking to activate the pool and asking you to go out and finding the things like the Blighted Thorn etc. at the Hall of Monuments after the personal story. Then move the Visions of the Past LWS1 episodes to the LWS1 story journal. I don't know how easily this kind of restructuring can happen since there are achievements that players will already have completed.

Honestly, I am surprised how long this has been neglected. This is literally the finish line in observable story progress where new players who are F2P decide if they want to become paying customers. Imagine playing through the personal story, and thinking, wow, I wonder what happens next. Watching that cinematic. Thinking, "oh that's too bad I can't play it". Then buying LWS2 and the expansions with real money, to only feel super left out of the loop. Then thinking, "maybe I should watch that cinematic again, I don't know who all these members are", but then realizing you can't replay the cinematic (not that it would help much). For me this was a huge turnoff. It made me question the quality of the game and be skeptical of if it would be able to maintain a story line or if there were other giant holes in development. If it wasn't for the community picking up the slack...or rather weaving the rescue rope with their bare hands, I would have left the game because I simply would have lost interest in it. It is also fairly obvious that ArenaNet themselves have now kind of made the story the "selling point" of GW2 and generally make it a central point for each new release. But, it felt like I had to "research" to understand what happened in LWS1 and who my team are, and I am pretty sure many players are likely to feel the same. It is still one of the biggest criticisms of the game from new (and even veteran) players.

The CMs are beyond frustrating and literally have me very close to quitting this game forever. Specifically snowden drifts and FoR. The CM for the first few are fine, and Doric are fine. Tp is borderline, it still feels awful but is more doable. Unfortunately the PVE design team thinks a good encounter is a frustrating one.

Also the above CM DRMs have given me some of my most toxic GW2 moments ever.