unhappy mac player - [Merged]

The statement that the Mac client will not work after 18 February is, in a word, bizarre. I still have a copy of the 32-bit Mac client, which has been unsupported for years, and it still runs. On a really old Mac, the frame rate in the 32-bit version is slightly superior to the 64-bit (although there are bugs in the 32-bit version which will obviously never be fixed - random coherent host crashes when attempting to launch the game, mini-map is blacked out, maps like Lions Arch take literally minutes to load)... but it's playable. If they are being truthful in their statement that they will actively prevent the 64-bit Mac client from launching into the game, the 32-bit Mac client is what I'll have to revert to using (my computer is far too old to support any other alternative).

I'd be fine with the statement that "this is no longer supported and may stop working at any time; you can't make in-game purchases, and technical support is no longer available"... but that isn't what they've said. They've said they'll prevent the client from working in less than a month.

I know: Apple are the bad guys, ANet are the good guys. When it comes to the challenges facing ANet as to whether or not to continue developing a Mac client, that's a reasonable conclusion to reach. However, ANet are in control of whether or not they actively kill the client or allow it to keep working for as long as it happens to work. I reckon a lot of Mac players would be much happier if they went with option 2.

Also, it seems there could be a few other options here:

1) ANet make money from the content and in-game purchases, not the client, which they give away. Why not make the clients (all) open-source? If there's enough interest in the community to keep developing or even rebuild the Mac client completely to support all the new tech, then ANet get all the benefit with none of the cost outlay?

2) If they insist on keeping it closed source, they could post a kickstarter for the cost of developing a new mac client. If it succeeds, we're all happy, and if it fails, we've only got ourselves to blame. After all, lots of people here saying that Mac owners have more dollars than sense, right?

3) I actually think approaching Apple to approach ANet with a funding/promotion proposal is a good one. Apple have amazing new computers with GPU cores built-in, to the SOC, and what better way to promote it than by announcing support to a small(ish) but dedicated gaming community, and ANet get publicity as well as direct support?

Killing the client and saying "just go emulate, soz" seems a poor choice by comparison to any of the above.

I just wish they had given us more warning. One month is not enough time to reconfigure a machine's hard drive to set up a bootcamp partition. My HD has 6 partitions driven by what used to be me work. I've tried VMWare Fusion and Win7, but found the FPS is marginal even if all the graphic settings are set to the lowest values. It would be nice to continue to enjoy my one social outlet in the middle of the pandemic for a while longer while I work on reconfiguring 2T of data across 6 partitions.....

• 3 weeks later...

@Solitude.2097 said:type :How to Install Windows 10 on a Mac using VirtualBoxon youtube

It wont replace the Mac , it will just open a program (imitation Windows) and throught that you must redownload GW2 and play it .When you finish with playing , close GW2 > then the program(choose the Save Option)> play the Mac

Actually, VirualBox doesn't work on the current MacOS if you're up to date on Big Sur. It only worked until Catalina. Same for Wine. The only option I've seen so far is boot camp and dual boot your system to also run Windows 10.

Codeweavers are working on dxvk support on OSX.https://github.com/KhronosGroup/MoltenVK/issues/203#issuecomment-682576084I believe they will be working on dx9 support after dxvk support is done. If Mac users are ok with forking over a license next year, you should have much better perf than whatever Anet uses. I am always surprise at Codeweavers ability to make things work.

Hello.... I am not technical minded so forgive me if I leave stuff out or don't say it correctly. I have an iMac with Mojave 10.14.6 which is the highest I can go before losing the ability to play any 32 bit games. Mojave plays both. I purchased my iMac in 2014 and it runs nicely with no problems. It does have Intel processor. So, after reading all the 'what to do' threads, I couldn't understand much. I do know if I go with Catalina 10.15 O/S or Big Sur which is O/S 11 plus, I wouldn't be able to play nor use many of my applications and games.I called an IT person who came to my house. It's his third trip since 2014. He set up my computer, then helped me out when I had a lot of viruses due to the protection program not doing what they were suppose to do.Anyway, he set me up with Parallels since he felt it was easier for me to use than if he went bootcamp with windows. I am not familiar with windows. Anyway, Parallels did not work well, GW2 froze, was jerky and took long times to enter zones even if I was in a zone, went elsewhere then came back to the original zone. It still was jerky and took a while. That didn't bother me so much since I am not a big fighter. I stick with PVE and usually non-fighting stuff and only fight if I have to do so. I'm not a good clever fighter and am slow to respond. Been playing GW2 since inception in 2012 and before that I played GW original, Rift, WoW and EQ and EQ2.Then my IT person decided it would be better to use bootcamp. So now I'm typing this in bootcamp while GW2 is slowly downloading. in Windows 10. 64 bit. I think bootcamp is best for me. I've already played GW2 under windows 10 bootcamp and it was without any freezing and jerkiness or slowing down. The only time it took a while was when I first had to install GW2 and download part of the game before the play button lit up for available playtime.My only problem now is trying to understand windows. It keeps shutting down - I think it sleep mode because it wakes up when I press my mouse or keyboard button. I haven't figured out how to change that setting. It is annoying as it takes a lot longer for downloads from GW2 to complete for play time. I play to only use bootcamp to play GW2. The rest of my computer time is on my iMac side of things. I did find out that Parallels is a very good program for Macs in the work arena or for lighter games, but it isn't very good for high end MMORPGs like GW2, WoW, EQ, Elder Scrolls and many others.Hope my experience helps someone considering Parallels or bootcamp. I do play to play GW2 for many more years as it allows me to play and do things that I can do and accomplish. After 9 plus year, I have 5 characters who are all now at level 77. Each one has totally completed all zones up through 20. And I've managed to take a couple of them to some higher level 25 zones. All of them craft and the highest level crafter is now just hitting 300. I'm happy about what I have accomplished and the game is very challenging but still fun for me to explore.

• 2 weeks later...

Now this is funny (sort of). I can still start the client, get a message "support has been discontinued" - but I can log in, and yes, it wants to download a lot of files (10,000+, it seems). For whatever reason - the "Play" button has been removed, after all, so I do not benefit at all from whatever is being downloaded.A good time to free up about 50 GB on my Mac.

@"Gyro.9182" said:Now this is funny (sort of). I can still start the client, get a message "support has been discontinued" - but I can log in, and yes, it wants to download a lot of files (10,000+, it seems). For whatever reason - the "Play" button has been removed, after all, so I do not benefit at all from whatever is being downloaded.A good time to free up about 50 GB on my Mac.

YEAH free up space and add Bootcamp.

@Gyro.9182 said:

@"Svata.8034" said:YEAH free up space and add Bootcamp.Adding Bootcamp (presumably with the intention of running GW2 under it) will clog the disk space far more, instead of freeing up space. Just sayin'.

The idea is to put 125GB internal storage Mac and 125GB Bootcamp "partition" with all else on external drives. Is there a good document on how best to set this up?

Right now my internal Drive of 256GB has 30GB free with 120GB taken up by Mac IOS Big Sur.

Question is best how to split up the Mac Pro internal drive since the Boot Camp documentation says to put it on the Start Up Disk (think this means internal drive.)? It would involve moving much of what is currently on the internal dive to external drives.