New Hairstyles/Faces with EoD?

PoF brought new hair and faces for humans, but nothing (I think) for other races. Anyone reckon we'll get something with EoD? And what would you like to see? I'd really love to see Anet fill in the the lack of 'basic' hairstyles, as in long straight, long curly, long wavy, medium lengths, short lengths, etc for all races. I currently use the straight with a strand close to the eye hairstyle on one of my charr and just imagine the rest is hidden under her coat, but would like to see an actual long version of that hairstyle.

I would also really love to see new body types added, especially the one you see on Omahkhan cubs/just a very 'scrawny' option for Charr, for when you want to play a very physically weak magic user/a runt. I'd also love to see more muscular options for females of all races.

In terms of faces I think it would be quite nice to receive more HD remakes of the vanilla faces and horns while still having the originals available. A lot of them are very nicely designed but you can see the age.

@Bellbirds.1679 said:PoF brought new hair and faces for humans, but nothing (I think) for other races.

the thing about humans getting more faces and hairstyles is because it's easier to associate with the human race in gw2 because we and the devs are human beings. so naturally one's imagination can think of and create more designs that would work for humans than that which would work for other races in the game.

you can only come up with so many ideas and designs for new faces and hairstyles for asura/charr/sylvari before you run out and each new design would end up straying farther and farther from from what you can call asura/charr/sylvari-ish and fit with lore and immersion... meanwhile for every single idea/design for other races you can come up with two or three more for humans. -- not saying it's impossible just that coming up with unique and non-redundant customisation options for other races is much harder -- whereas for humans you can just google image search something up about hairstyles and the latest trends and you'll instantly get so many new results to reference with and that's not even thinking or coming up with your own design

norn have it lucky since they look like humans so it's easier for them in a way. can also argue that sylvari can adapt human face styles and body types too but that's about it.

but yeah i'd love to see equal treatment for the next expansion and that every race gets something new to customise our characters with.

@Astyrah.4015 said:

@Bellbirds.1679 said:PoF brought new hair and faces for humans, but nothing (I think) for other races.

the thing about humans getting more faces and hairstyles is because it's easier to associate with the human race in gw2 because we and the devs are human beings. so naturally one's imagination can think of and create more designs that would work for humans than that which would work for other races in the game.

you can only come up with so many ideas and designs for new faces and hairstyles for asura/charr/sylvari before you run out and each new design would end up straying farther and farther from from what you can call asura/charr/sylvari-ish and fit with lore and immersion... meanwhile for every single idea/design for other races you can come up with two or three more for humans. -- not saying it's impossible just that coming up with unique and non-redundant customisation options for other races is much harder -- whereas for humans you can just google image search something up about hairstyles and the latest trends and you'll instantly get so many new results to reference with and that's not even thinking or coming up with your own design

norn have it lucky since they look like humans so it's easier for them in a way. can also argue that sylvari can adapt human face styles and body types too but that's about it.

but yeah i'd love to see equal treatment for the next expansion and that every race gets something new to customise our characters with.

I'm not sure I agree. Anthropomorphic animals have been known for decades if not centuries to be easier to make 'human' than humans. However I'd mainly like to see 'non-interesting' options added. Just long hair, medium hair, etc, etc. Basic looks. Not everyone wants a hairstyle that looks like a mushroom cloud. I think I've only ever seen that once on a player.

@Bellbirds.1679 said:I'm not sure I agree. Anthropomorphic animals have been known for decades if not centuries to be easier to make 'human' than humans. However I'd mainly like to see 'non-interesting' options added. Just long hair, medium hair, etc, etc. Basic looks. Not everyone wants a hairstyle that looks like a mushroom cloud. I think I've only ever seen that once on a player.

they aren't exactly easier to make human looking because you reference humans, with every anthropomorphic design you come up with you are pulling something out of the human design be it in parts or a whole, whereas humans are already humans. that's just my take on it anyway.

im all for getting more customisation for all characters since i play each race too and i prefer not looking like the next person as much as possible

@Astyrah.4015 said:

@Bellbirds.1679 said:I'm not sure I agree. Anthropomorphic animals have been known for decades if not centuries to be easier to make 'human' than humans. However I'd mainly like to see 'non-interesting' options added. Just long hair, medium hair, etc, etc. Basic looks. Not everyone wants a hairstyle that looks like a mushroom cloud. I think I've only ever seen that once on a player.

they aren't exactly easier to make human looking because you reference humans, with every anthropomorphic design you come up with you are pulling something out of the human design be it in parts or a whole, whereas humans are already humans. that's just my take on it anyway.

im all for getting more customisation for all characters since i play each race too and i prefer not looking like the next person as much as possible

No I didn't mean human looking I meant 'human' as in give them personality/character/a unique design.

@Bellbirds.1679 said:

No I didn't mean human looking I meant 'human' as in give them personality/character/a unique design.

I think this has to do with the uncanny valley. It is easier to make animals look human-y without creeping people out than it is to make humans without creeping people out. That comes more into play with hyper-realistic graphics styles. GW2 has more of a cartoonish style so it doesn’t get too close to the uncanny valley with any of the races.

I’d love to see new character options for my asuras. I like making them look more mousy or foxy than droopy and haggard. There are only a few faces suited to that right now. I don’t use hair on my charr at all right now because they are all too weird looking. They all look punk rock or something. I would love a look that just gave my charr a nice mane.

Some more simple stuff for all the non-human races would be great.

@Cleopatra.4068 said:

I think this has to do with the uncanny valley. It is easier to make animals look human-y without creeping people out than it is to make humans without creeping people out. That comes more into play with hyper-realistic graphics styles. GW2 has more of a cartoonish style so it doesn’t get too close to the uncanny valley with any of the races.

I’d love to see new character options for my asuras. I like making them look more mousy or foxy than droopy and haggard. There are only a few faces suited to that right now. I don’t use hair on my charr at all right now because they are all too weird looking. They all look punk rock or something. I would love a look that just gave my charr a nice mane.

I think it's more to do with the ability to exagerate expressions via ears, snarls etc and symbolism via things such as horns (e.g ram horns versus antelope horns) and markings (e.g tiger stripes versus housecat markings)

@Bellbirds.1679 said:

I think it's more to do with the ability to exagerate expressions via ears, snarls etc and symbolism via things such as horns (e.g ram horns versus antelope horns) and markings (e.g tiger stripes versus housecat markings)

Oh, I see. Yes, I misunderstood your first post.

As I recall, the reason humans got so many new faces and hairs with PoF was because those were designed for the Elonan NPCs and it was an easy port over to add them to player character creation. So ANet decided to give us those even though they didn't have similar offerings for the other races, and they even put them in base creation instead of paid kits. I appreciate them doing so. No matter how much I'd like all the races to get a slew of new, good quality options, I'd rather get some new things than none at all. (Now if only they'd give us all the Elonan NPC clothing too).

I do hope that part of EoD is in fact a big overhaul or at least expansion of character creation choices.

@Donari.5237 said:As I recall, the reason humans got so many new faces and hairs with PoF was because those were designed for the Elonan NPCs and it was an easy port over to add them to player character creation. So ANet decided to give us those even though they didn't have similar offerings for the other races, and they even put them in base creation instead of paid kits. I appreciate them doing so. No matter how much I'd like all the races to get a slew of new, good quality options, I'd rather get some new things than none at all. (Now if only they'd give us all the Elonan NPC clothing too).

I do hope that part of EoD is in fact a big overhaul or at least expansion of character creation choices.

I understand that. I do wish they'd release things like the olmakhan cub body type.

@"Bellbirds.1679" said:PoF brought new hair and faces for humans, but nothing (I think) for other races. Anyone reckon we'll get something with EoD? And what would you like to see? I'd really love to see Anet fill in the the lack of 'basic' hairstyles, as in long straight, long curly, long wavy, medium lengths, short lengths, etc for all races. I currently use the straight with a strand close to the eye hairstyle on one of my charr and just imagine the rest is hidden under her coat, but would like to see an actual long version of that hairstyle.

I would also really love to see new body types added, especially the one you see on Omahkhan cubs/just a very 'scrawny' option for Charr, for when you want to play a very physically weak magic user/a runt. I'd also love to see more muscular options for females of all races.

In terms of faces I think it would be quite nice to receive more HD remakes of the vanilla faces and horns while still having the originals available. A lot of them are very nicely designed but you can see the age.

Aside from Canthan/Asian options for the humans, I'd like to see new sylvari stuff, based on the sidhe/wardens; assuming they don't become their own (playable) race, of course.

And let's never forget asura and sylvari beards!