What kind of DIFFICULTY would you like for EoD open world maps?

Susy.7529

@kharmin.7683 said:

@arielwind.8921 said:People still help each other and keep playing on HoT content, but not much in PoF content.Probably due to the rewards structure more than anything else.

personally, i play HoT more because its just more fun, the metas require you to play the game where as the metas for PoF just require you to get in a squad and auto attack.

The danger of the HoT maps makes it feel good when you conquer them, where the PoF maps feel like less of a game and more of a movie, the story is great but the maps are easy.

I want:

(1) HoT-like encounters with the enemy: if you try to go toe-to-toe with these mobs without a solid handle on how you play your class and build, they can easily overwhelm you. At the same time, it's not hard to build against this, and just a modicum of practice solves most problems. Only a few mobs had noticeably difficult cc patterns to manage, and after a few rounds it wasn't hard to figure out what to do.

(2) PoF-like density : sentient enemies often have outposts on the map that serve as operating bases, and outside of those areas you see them either trying to hold a strategic area in force, or have isolated patrol groups. The more open and barren areas with no camps or civilization generally features wildlife or monsters like the Branded. This would make sense to me as Cantha, like Elona, is a place where people have carved out safe places for noncombatants to live, so it's not a completely untamed area like Mordremoth's version of the Maguuma Jungle.

(3) reasonable aggro patterns: like many have already mentioned in this thread, I dislike the aggro range on a lot of the PoF mobs. However, I do think it makes sense that if you aggro one member of a patrol group, the entire group is alerted. I just don't like having to deal with the group, then some random veteran sand shark tossing me skyward because the 2 patrolling hydras nearby also aggroed and ate through my stability stacks and dodges while the local sand lion family showed up to blind me. Nothing I can't manage, but the encounters just take 3x longer than they really should IMO. I'd like to see more instances of the sentient enemies fighting the wildlife when their paths cross, somewhat like the vinetooth enemies occasionally stomping on packs of pocket raptors as you run past both in HoT.

I find it difficult to answer that. Personally, I find PoF a pain, because the amount of foes (up to every little corners and even at WPs), is spoiling the pleasure of going there for explorable. I don't care to kill, foes are not so hard, but it's just so much boring to me - even fastidious - to have to do that every 5 steps I do. I have stopped returning to those areas due to that (of course, I can cross safely on skyscale, but that's not what I mean as exploring LOL). All in all, for me, in an expansion pack, there should be areas of all types, each offering same level of content (not only the hard ones). GW2 is a game with a wide variety of players and ways of playing, and the expansion pack should maintain this variety. Personal opinion of course. :)

@Sobx.1758 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:the start should always be core easiness

Why?It's not like you're starting a new game every time you go into a new expansion. Not only you know more about the game and its mechanics (well, at least you should), but also you're getting new tools at your disposal with expansions. Suddenly reverting to the initial difficulty despite all of that doesn't make sense to me. So why do you think it should always start like that?

because not everyone started out playing 8 years ago, some ppl play when EoD launches, that's why.

@sorudo.9054 said:

Why?It's not like you're starting a new game every time you go into a new expansion. Not only you know more about the game and its mechanics (well, at least you should), but also you're getting new tools at your disposal with expansions. Suddenly reverting to the initial difficulty despite all of that doesn't make sense to me. So why do you think it should always start like that?

because not everyone started out playing 8 years ago, some ppl play when EoD launches, that's why.

It's irrelevant, you didn't need to start playing 8 years ago, you still should go through the available content/expantions. If you skip riiight into the latest parts of the game before completing previous ones then... you know, it's your choice and it's on you. Right?

To put it in slightly different terms: as a player in many games you're free to skip the tutorial. But if you do it, you're not exactly in place of making a complaint that there's no repeated tutorial after 70% of the game you've played through. If for some reason now you need to play through the tutorial to learn something you didn't on your way here then... you go back to the tutorial (or easier parts of the game to practice). And luckily you can do exactly that in this game, because it's not linear and the previous content doesn't disappear just because you've skipped it or played through it once.

• Confused 1

I said PoF difficulty, b/c I definitely didn't want HoT difficulty, but now I'm remembering some of the places in PoF where I died repeatedly and I feel maybe that was the wrong choice.

I was thinking that coming in to a new expansion at release time instead of years later might be better for me since there would be more people around to hang out and run thru the maps with.

Now that I'm all caught up I'm hoping to be able to keep up :)

I know it's kinda offtopic and i already have given my answer previously in this thread but I just had a neat idea since I picked up in gw1 Factions story again. The idea involves a new mastery point system which will allow us to further develop a new thing that previously existed in gw1. Heroes! The masteryies could be that you can purchase new skills and recruit new unique heroes for your team. Couldn't find the EoD suggestion thread right now so I picked this one.I actually enjoyed the heroes system and it would be cool to see it return somehow.

@Cynder.2509 said:I know it's kinda offtopic and i already have given my answer previously in this thread but I just had a neat idea since I picked up in gw1 Factions story again. The idea involves a new mastery point system which will allow us to further develop a new thing that previously existed in gw1. Heroes! The masteryies could be that you can purchase new skills and recruit new unique heroes for your team. Couldn't find the EoD suggestion thread right now so I picked this one.I actually enjoyed the heroes system and it would be cool to see it return somehow.

Are you certain you played Factions?Heroes were introduced with Nightfall.

@Cynder.2509 said:I know it's kinda offtopic and i already have given my answer previously in this thread but I just had a neat idea since I picked up in gw1 Factions story again. The idea involves a new mastery point system which will allow us to further develop a new thing that previously existed in gw1. Heroes! The masteryies could be that you can purchase new skills and recruit new unique heroes for your team. Couldn't find the EoD suggestion thread right now so I picked this one.I actually enjoyed the heroes system and it would be cool to see it return somehow.

I would LOVE to have Heroes again. I have asked for it many times, myself.As for difficulty I voted for PoF. I really enjoyed PoF, and never warmed up to HoT. Too many things I disliked there. PoF was great fun to explore. I just do not like the hearts that reset - once I unlock it, it should stay unlocked!

@Sobx.1758 said:

It's irrelevant, you didn't need to start playing 8 years ago, you still should go through the available content/expantions. If you skip riiight into the latest parts of the game before completing previous ones then... you know, it's your choice and
it's on you
. Right?

wrong, you can't expect any new player to just buy all of the expansions in order to play the new one.you should not have to go trough all of it, you should be able to go straight to EoD without any previous experience.i only liked playing WoW when legions was released, they still made it friendly for new players regardless and Anet should do the same.

@sorudo.9054 said:

It's irrelevant, you didn't need to start playing 8 years ago, you still should go through the available content/expantions. If you skip riiight into the latest parts of the game before completing previous ones then... you know, it's your choice and
it's on you
. Right?

wrong, you can't expect any new player to just buy all of the expansions in order to play the new one.you should not have to go trough all of it, you should be able to go straight to EoD without any previous experience.

Currently buying PoF gives you HoT for free. I'm not even talking about pricing until we know it, but it's cool you somehow already can, so you can firmly determine what I said is automatically "wrong".Still -putting the unknown aside, if someone doesn't want to buy the expansions to play through them then it's their decision. Then again, even if they make that decision, then I fail to see how it's relevant when the core version with the core difficulty is available to them anyways? They don't need to go "from core to core difficulty" between expansions seeing how nobody else did during HoT and PoF releases. Also catching up to people while -possibly- not having a mount will be super fun I assume. And here we circle back to: if you choose to skip even the core part of the game then you're not exactly entitled to claim that you need core experience in later phases of the game, because you don't. You have the core experience in core.

WoW

No, thanks

• Confused 1

@Kaliwenda.3428 said:I said PoF difficulty, b/c I definitely didn't want HoT difficulty, but now I'm remembering some of the places in PoF where I died repeatedly and I feel maybe that was the wrong choice.

What's the problem with that though? Especially in GW2. If you die or fail at something, you can just rethink your builds/strategy, discover or learn to better understand a game mechanic, grow as a player and try again (what some would say playing a video game is in the first place) - and then benefit from that gained experience throughout all your time going forward with playing GW2.It's not like GW2 deletes your character upon death, takes away hours of experience or even de-leveling you, or even just making you go through a tedious or costly revival process.It's one button click at the price of a few silver that you'll make back in literally seconds with the first trash mob drop.Even the armor repair system has essentially been removed, requiring just a quick NPC visit, for free, after 7+ deaths.

The option to fail, to me, always has been a pretty important part of what makes a game a game. If there is no failure state, pretty much no matter what you could reasonable do, then there isn't really any point or achievement to it, no? Doesn't seem very compelling, outside of non-traditional gaming products specifically advertising and catering to that, like walking simulators or visual novels, maybe.

The only way I can see that being frustrating is if difficulty is done excessively or cheaply (which GW2 is as far from as a video game can be while still being a game), or if a player completely refuses to adjust and grow, essentially frustrating themselves, trying the same flawed strategy/build over and over, expecting different results.

@"sorudo.9054" said:you should not have to go trough all of it, you should be able to go straight to EoD without any previous experience.

It's max level (expansion) content... since when "should" that be easy to straight jump to and go through without any experience whatsoever in an RPG?Sometimes I wonder if some people even still want to play video games, or trying to turn video games into essentially success guaranteed non-interactive linear media.

@"Noah Salazar.5430" said:I love Hot dificulity, much more ppl wanted group up and play togheter cuz content was bit harder, while on pof you mostly play solo in mmo game (cuz of low dificulity but big agro range)

I disagree. In HoT, people don't necessarily want to group up; rather, in many cases they are FORCED to group up. For a game that is mostly casual, with a "play as you want" style, I detest being forced to group with people. GW2 as an MMO is, IMO, different in that players have the option to choose whether or not to group up with others. PoF did a better job of being more aligned with this principle (like Core).

@"The Boz.2038" said:I like some of the HoT difficulty designs, but I detest the binary nature and skill and feature combinations of some enemies. No counterplay enemies (Guard Snipers), binary challenges (Bristlebacks), infuriating combos (shoot-stun-poison-dodge-evade-stealth frogs), loadout checks (Chak Bracers), confusing chaos spam kitten (the entire Mushrom roster), these are the designs that should be avoided at all costs.

You forgot about that mechanic where Mushroom do a Kamikaze headspin and the same in Lake doric/Bloodstone Fen where one have to avoid standing too close to before NPC die not get hit by heavy damage or condition which one have to remove.

Directed as part of the general discussion in this thread:

Tangle Depths problem isn't that much navigation as the special poison (debuff) one get that one need Mastery to be able to cleanse through dodge. This mechanic make it hard for players on low populated maps to avoid to constant getting this kind of poison renewed (limit on dodges and to avoid getting it re-applied from swarm of Chak mobs). This is a problem related to scaling with players on map and the number of target each mob can hit or aggro, as there is no scaling in this game as far as I know to adjust for when map have less player on it. It makes this kind of map only being popular for farming while it is a zerg rushing through and then left for dead most part of day/night.

In my opinion PoFs Bounty system work much better as a few player can pick easier Bounty and then scale up to harder when their squads have grown with numbers. This make it possible to keep maps alive and also a bit more variation as Unstable Magic (two random buffs on target) and where those will spawn changes. Here players have a bit more control and can ignore the "wrong" boss or try out if they manage themselves (solo or small group) to kill it or reset it when needed. It does cut down event chain problem where everything have be coordinated on map like Dragonfall or Dragon's Stand. Map with variation is what I believe will feel more alive as people can then get things done and join up to larger events.

I disagree. In HoT, people don't necessarily want to group up; rather, in many cases they are FORCED to group up. For a game that is mostly casual, with a "play as you want" style, I detest being forced to group with people. GW2 as an MMO is, IMO, different in that players have the option to choose whether or not to group up with others. PoF did a better job of being more aligned with this principle (like Core).
@kharmin.7683I'm more skilled player that can solo bounty or hard content

but i prefer play much in group, in casual maps i can't get that experience, as i feel that i force someone to play with mewhile in hot, most ppl was open up to play togheter, as game bit forced to it, is it was not fun? definilty not, for first time we even made small exploration team wher i was frontlaner tanking mobs, some elementalist was shot from back, and ranger was rooting mobs so i tanked less of them, we got even revenant that kinda did alot aoe and buffed team with -50% dmg for 5s

And yes we was new/casual players

That experience i got while i was new, now i can just pass as scrapper witchout problem cuz i'm geared, but still i got fun backing to that maps

I want interaction with other players

i know thers like meta trains with over 30-50ppl, but it's not same like wher you play with 2-5ppl and caring for others, checking did someone unlocked mastery or got hero point or even talking in party chat about life or other topics

for me it's what mmo is, but i also respect your opinion as diferent ppl will want diferent aspects

@"Noah Salazar.5430" said:

@kharmin.7683I'm more skilled player that can solo bounty or hard content

but i prefer play much in group, in casual maps i can't get that experience, as i feel that i force someone to play with mewhile in hot, most ppl was open up to play togheter, as game bit forced to it, is it was not fun? definilty not, for first time we even made small exploration team wher i was frontlaner tanking mobs, some elementalist was shot from back, and ranger was rooting mobs so i tanked less of them, we got even revenant that kinda did alot aoe and buffed team with -50% dmg for 5s

And yes we was new/casual players

That experience i got while i was new, now i can just pass as scrapper witchout problem cuz i'm geared, but still i got fun backing to that maps

I want interaction with other players

i know thers like meta trains with over 30-50ppl, but it's not same like wher you play with 2-5ppl and caring for others, checking did someone unlocked mastery or got hero point or even talking in party chat about life or other topics

for me it's what mmo is, but i also respect your opinion as diferent ppl will want diferent aspects

Then join a guild. You can play and run around with a few or a mob of guildies and still not force others to group up. /shrug

@"ugrakarma.9416" said:HoT,Pof is "non-diffult" is just crazy aggro range, that probably is a glitch and some players think is a "design"

It's intended. PoF was designed from the ground up with mounts in mind. This means that, for enemy groups to pose as any sort of obstacle, they had to be able to take out a careless mounted player. To ensure that they could do this, the PoF mobs were given ranged attacks and leap attacks with a high aggro range, both to hit and give chase to the fast running raptors.

@Sobx.1758 said:

it's on you
. Right?

wrong, you can't expect any new player to just buy all of the expansions in order to play the new one.you should not have to go trough all of it, you should be able to go straight to EoD without any previous experience.

Currently buying PoF gives you HoT for free. I'm not even talking about pricing until we know it, but it's cool you somehow already can, so you can firmly determine what I said is automatically "wrong".Still -putting the unknown aside, if someone doesn't want to buy the expansions to play through them then it's their decision. Then again, even if they make that decision, then I fail to see how it's relevant when
the core version
with
the core difficulty
is available to them anyways? They don't need to go "
from core to core difficulty
" between expansions seeing
how nobody else did
during HoT and PoF releases. Also catching up to people while -possibly- not having a mount will be super fun I assume. And here we circle back to: if you choose to skip even the core part of the game then you're not exactly entitled to claim that you need core experience in later phases of the game,
because you don't
. You have the core experience in core.

PoF is pretty much core difficulty with a really annoying over aggro range from enemies, you're asking everyone to play the game from HoT to PoF to EoD and no other way which is a flawed analogy of how ppl play games.also, from what i see all you want is everything to be even more annoying than PoF, i hope to see EoD to be casual friendly again like core.

@sorudo.9054 said:

it's on you
. Right?

Currently buying PoF gives you HoT for free. I'm not even talking about pricing until we know it, but it's cool you somehow already can, so you can firmly determine what I said is automatically "wrong".Still -putting the unknown aside, if someone doesn't want to buy the expansions to play through them then it's their decision. Then again, even if they make that decision, then I fail to see how it's relevant when
the core version
with
the core difficulty
is available to them anyways? They don't need to go "
from core to core difficulty
" between expansions seeing
how nobody else did
during HoT and PoF releases. Also catching up to people while -possibly- not having a mount will be super fun I assume. And here we circle back to: if you choose to skip even the core part of the game then you're not exactly entitled to claim that you need core experience in later phases of the game,
because you don't
. You have the core experience in core.

PoF is pretty much core difficulty with a really annoying over aggro range from enemies, you're asking everyone to play the game from HoT to PoF to EoD and no other way which is a flawed analogy of how ppl play games.

If you actually read the post you're just responding to, then no -that's not what I'm asking for. I mean that IS something they should reasonably do, but that's not exaclty what I said here. ("then I fail to see how it's relevant when the core version with the core difficulty is available to them anyways? They don't need to go "from core to core difficulty" between expansions seeing how nobody else did during HoT and PoF releases")And if PoF is core difficulty, then vote for PoF difficulty I guess. If it's "core difficulty but also not", then it's just not core difficulty.

As for the "how ppl play games", I guess I'll need to repeat it again, because I don't see another response to that: people are free to play the game like they want, but if they skip the tutorial "because they want to be in the endgame faster" (or whatever their reasoning is), it's not the game's fault. Core difficulty is already available in core. If they jump into expansions skipping core then it's their choice and their problem that they created for themselves.

Boo, misclicked my option.What I meant to vote was [POF difficulty].

HoT is too busy using mechanics that exceed the game's rules like infinite dodge-leaps, perma-evasion, projectile spam longer than mitigation allows, and Defiance bars the size of skyscrapers. It's only 'challenge' in the sense that the huge damage numbers from mobs are punishing, but not actual mechanical challenge within the scope of character abilities. And there are just too many things that don't have appropriate counters.With a thorough balance pass, HoT could be better balanced and much more engaging.

Mechanically, PoF is superior because it accounts for more of the players' abilities. It punishes range by giving buffs (which can be stripped with the right build), positioning is more important while still giving the character room to move, and there's just . . less cheap-shot nonsense. Balance out the excessive blind-spam and continued reliance on hard-cc as punishment, and PoF would be in a great spot.