Why didn't Anet keep every gem item open for sale?

@Oxstar.7643 said:Build demand with limited access, I assume. Pretty standard marketing strategy.

To expand on this for the OP, it:

• Creates a sense of scarcity so people drop more money more often to get something before it rotates out because of FOMO.
  • Can make people check the cash shop weekly which in turn makes it more likely someone will buy something in the meantime. It also trains people to check out the store periodically even if they don't have something specific in mind.
  • Items like vouchers and bundles that contain vouchers are more desirable because there is no advanced notice on rotation.

If all items were available all the time, that would be great for players but video game marketers are convinced that would mean a drop in revenue. Think of it as the video game version of stores changing their layout periodically (forcing you to spend more time looking at more products), putting things like milk at the back of the store (making you walk through aisle(s) to reach it), and having highly marked-up small items at the till to tempt you. There's an easy way to make it more convenient for the customer but marketing says inconveniencing the customer will make more money so that's what the company does instead.

@Zephire.8049 said:

@Oxstar.7643 said:Build demand with limited access, I assume. Pretty standard marketing strategy.

• Creates a sense of scarcity so people drop more money more often to get something before it rotates out because of FOMO.
  • Can make people check the cash shop weekly which in turn makes it more likely someone will buy something in the meantime. It also trains people to check out the store periodically even if they don't have something specific in mind.
  • Items like vouchers and bundles that contain vouchers are more desirable because there is no advanced notice on rotation.

If all items were available all the time, that would be great for players but video game marketers are convinced that would mean a drop in revenue. Think of it as the video game version of stores changing their layout periodically (forcing you to spend more time looking at more products), putting things like milk at the back of the store (making you walk through aisle(s) to reach it), and having highly marked-up small items at the till to tempt you. There's an easy way to make it more convenient for the customer but marketing says inconveniencing the customer will make more money so that's what the company does instead.

Still I think the current rotation is way too slow, we should not wait for half a year to buy something.

@Slowpokeking.8720 said:

Still I think the current rotation is way too slow, we should not wait for half a year to buy something.

I think the rotation is too slow as well. There have been items I wanted, checked the store for daily for, and they never came. Then I take a break from playing, and by the time I come back I no longer remember exactly what it was I wanted or why. So it never gets purchased.

Right now I want the volatile magic gathering tools because I am playing those maps. If they don’t come back until I’m done playing LS4, though, I will probably never buy them. I’m not going to go back and play those maps again later just because the tools come back 6 months from now. I want them for convenience. They are only convenient while I need them. If the rotation comes around while I’m playing them, they will get purchased. If it comes around once I’m done, I won’t. Some stuff is always useful, but other stuff isn’t.

@Cleopatra.4068 said:Right now I want the volatile magic gathering tools because I am playing those maps. If they don’t come back until I’m done playing LS4, though, I will probably never buy them. I’m not going to go back and play those maps again later just because the tools come back 6 months from now. I want them for convenience. They are only convenient while I need them. If the rotation comes around while I’m playing them, they will get purchased. If it comes around once I’m done, I won’t. Some stuff is always useful, but other stuff isn’t.

They're a great purchase anyway, for several reasons:

You'll save a lot of money/karma from not buying regular tools.They won't run out in the middle of gathering. (so you won't have to waste time killing the 5 mobs that are chasing you before you can equip a new set)It'll actively encourage you to gather the nodes that you happen to go past on your way. (which means more gold)Once you're done with the S4 maps/collections, you can buy leather or trophy shipments instead. (which means more gold)